Cotto v Margarito

H.A.N.S

Early Sunday morning. Cotto is 4/9 at Hills, tempted having a big bet with the holiday fund money.

Early Sunday morning. Cotto is 4/9 at Hills, tempted having a big bet with the holiday fund money.

Stick it all on mate, will definately win. probably decision by a 6 or 7 round margin

Think I am going to mate. I had a silly bet on Pacquiao to beat Diaz at the same price, think it's an omen.

Rated 4th and 9th here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4181323.stm

and pacquiao absolutely destroyed him....easy money :)

Looking forward to the cotto fight, ive only ever watched highlights of his fights,and he looks quality. so definately staying up to watch it live .

Cotto vs mayweather would be a fight i'd love to see, i hope this retirement is just a publicity stunt and they two end up in the ring, alot of people think Cotto could beat him.

and pacquiao absolutely destroyed him....easy money :)

Looking forward to the cotto fight, ive only ever watched highlights of his fights,and he looks quality. so definately staying up to watch it live .

Cotto vs mayweather would be a fight i'd love to see, i hope this retirement is just a publicity stunt and they two end up in the ring, alot of people think Cotto could beat him.

Think Mayweather's avoiding him.

Is it on tv btw?

its on setanta, think programme starts at 3am.. and the fightsw at 4am but not 100percent

Carl Weathers
its on setanta, think programme starts at 3am.. and the fightsw at 4am but not 100percent

Nice one.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Really looking forward to this fight.

If Cotto fights smart - he wins, no doubt about it.

If Margarito gets Cotto involved in a slug fest I could see Margarito winning. As someone previously mentioned, he is a animal who can really bang.

Cotto is great, but he wouldn't beat Mayweather. Mayweather is far too cute (not in a gay way ;) ), clever, and skillfull. Beating Cotto would mean he had beaten all the top boxers in his era and would cement his legacy as an all time great. If Mayweather doesn't fight Cotto people will always question whether he would have beaten him, so they might as well get it on, if Cotto wins on Saturday.

What is Margarito's chin like? Not seen much of him. Cotto is 26 KOs from 32 fights. Should my bet be Cotto on points at a much tastier price? Or will he KO him?

Cotto wins this, but it should be a cracker. In my mind, Cotto is the best boxer on the planet at the moment. Tremendous skills, and been avoided by a good few people (Mayweather in particular, Hatton too could have been in there with him by now).

What is Margarito's chin like? Not seen much of him. Cotto is 26 KOs from 32 fights. Should my bet be Cotto on points at a much tastier price? Or will he KO him?

His chin is good - if Cotto wins (which i think he will) it will be on points imo.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

He has a granite jaw. He walked through Cintron's punches, which takes some doing.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Cotto wins this, but it should be a cracker. In my mind, Cotto is the best boxer on the planet at the moment. Tremendous skills, and been avoided by a good few people (Mayweather in particular, Hatton too could have been in there with him by now).

Mayweather will fight him, if the money is right. He is definitely NOT retired.

Hatton will never fight him now. He also never avoided Cotto. Cotto was a weight drained light welterweight, had to move up and is a now a massive welterweight. Hatton would have to be insane to step into the ring with him at Welterweight, and Cotto won't drop back down to Light Welter. It would be a tear up though.

From what i can see from looking through his fights hes never been on the canvass? his record dosent look great because he has 5 losses...but 3 of those where earlier in his career in bouts scheduled for less than 10rounds...one was stopped because of a bad cut from a headbutt...and the other was a points loss to williams....Everything points towards a Cotto win on points, pretty certain of it...but you never know on the night. good luck with your bet.

http://www.willhill.com/iibs/EN/relatedbets.asp?CouponChoice=BX2141847&couponid=BX2156216&section=1&dateblock=1&event=1&sport=BX

Cotton points 10/11.

I see Cotto picking his punches and outboxing him but Margarito standing the heavy blows and lasting 12.

Massive bet on that but ?20 on the KO at 4s just to make sure not totally emptied out.

Just hope Margarito doesn't beat him :sad:

Hatton will never fight him now. He also never avoided Cotto. Cotto was a weight drained light welterweight, had to move up and is a now a massive welterweight. Hatton would have to be insane to step into the ring with him at Welterweight, and Cotto won't drop back down to Light Welter. It would be a tear up though.

Hatton should stick to light welterweight, have his last two fights and then get out whilst he still remains a legend amongst his british fans, Agree with you totally cotto would be far too big for Hatton and would give him a worste beating than PBM did. He should fight Paulie malignaggi and then one other. People suggest pacquaio but at light welterweight hattons too big for him, would love to see it happen though as i think there two of the most popular boxers out there.

http://www.willhill.com/iibs/EN/relatedbets.asp?CouponChoice=BX2141847&couponid=BX2156216&section=1&dateblock=1&event=1&sport=BX

Cotton points 10/11.

I see Cotto picking his punches and outboxing him but Margarito standing the heavy blows and lasting 12.

Massive bet on that but ?20 on the KO at 4s just to make sure not totally emptied out.

Just hope Margarito doesn't beat him :sad:

If you want i will stick a couple of quid on margarito KO, points, and cotto KO, once the gambling gods find out my bets then its guaranteed that your ebt comes in.;)

If you want i will stick a couple of quid on margarito KO, points, and cotto KO, once the gambling gods find out my bets then its guaranteed that your ebt comes in.;)

That's like my Dad mate. He's the unluckiest gambler ever. I will get him to put 50p on the three other outcomes and I'll lump on Cotto points.

Mayweather may fight him for silly money, but honestly, I think he's just quite happy to avoid him. As good as Mayweather is (and he is exceptional), he is looking at super-earners(De la Hoya, Juddah, Mitchell...even Hatton). ...not so much the hardest fights. All big money, but people he knew he could probably comfortably beat. Don't think Cotto falls into that category, hence the lack of noise about it ever happening.

Same goes for Hatton. I never said he'd avoided Cotto, just that there has never been any enthusiasm for that fight to be made. I agree Cotto is more comfortable at Welter, and Hatton would be crazy to get in there with him, but once again, Hatton has stepped up there before, so it is not a completely crazy notion that he could if offered.

I wouldn't if I was him though...I think Cotto would probably end Hattons career if they did meet at Welter. Would be more sensible to stay at Light Welter and win a few more (granted less 'box office' fights) then call it a day.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Mayweather may fight him for silly money, but honestly, I think he's just quite happy to avoid him. As good as Mayweather is (and he is exceptional), he is looking at super-earners(De la Hoya, Juddah, Mitchell...even Hatton). ...not so much the hardest fights. All big money, but people he knew he could probably comfortably beat. Don't think Cotto falls into that category, hence the lack of noise about it ever happening.

Same goes for Hatton. I never said he'd avoided Cotto, just that there has never been any enthusiasm for that fight to be made. I agree Cotto is more comfortable at Welter, and Hatton would be crazy to get in there with him, but once again, Hatton has stepped up there before, so it is not a completely crazy notion that he could if offered.

I wouldn't if I was him though...I think Cotto would probably end Hattons career if they did meet at Welter. Would be more sensible to stay at Light Welter and win a few more (granted less 'box office' fights) then call it a day.

I think Hatton will beat Malignaggi relatively easy, and would love to see him fight Pacman. Pacman looked great at lightweight against Diaz and I think the he could easily fight at Light welterweight.

Doubt Pacman will, but it would be great if he did.

margarito has a superb chin and with cottos power it will be a classic, margarito will try and get all over cotto and cotto will use the jab alot. This will be a classic without a knockout. Cotto for as split descion!!

if cotto survives this and has one more fight at Welter then he will be a big enough draw for mayweather to come out of ""retirement""

I think Hatton will beat Malignaggi relatively easy, and would love to see him fight Pacman. Pacman looked great at lightweight against Diaz and I think the he could easily fight at Light welterweight.

Doubt Pacman will, but it would be great if he did.

I agree, I think Hatton will dispatch of Malignaggi pretty easily. He's tough, but limited. A lot more bark than bite anyway. Hatton should also have fought Junior Witter many moons ago just to put that to bed. Never understood why he didnt (prior to Witter losing his belt). In my mind that was an easy win and belt for Hatton.

Doubt Pac will step up for that, would be nice, but don't see it. Would assume that Hatton and De la Hoya may have a fight for a big payday. De la Hoya is a legend, so would be a good scalp, but would sort of be similar to the Calzaghe v Hopkins (good name, but a bit past it).

I agree, I think Hatton will dispatch of Malignaggi pretty easily. He's tough, but limited. A lot more bark than bite anyway. Hatton should also have fought Junior Witter many moons ago just to put that to bed. Never understood why he didnt (prior to Witter losing his belt). In my mind that was an easy win and belt for Hatton.

Doubt Pac will step up for that, would be nice, but don't see it. Would assume that Hatton and De la Hoya may have a fight for a big payday. De la Hoya is a legend, so would be a good scalp, but would sort of be similar to the Calzaghe v Hopkins (good name, but a bit past it).

Dela hoya is too big for hatton also. He might be past his best but he still beats hatton.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Dela hoya is too big for hatton also. He might be past his best but he still beats hatton.

Agreed. If Hatton was to fight Cotto or De La Hoya it would have to be at a catchweight.

He was reluctant to give Witter his biggest ever payday. Even though Witter said he'd only take expenses from the purse if he lost.

I enjoyed watching that. Cotto is the better boxer, Margarito the brawler. Sticking with Cotto points.

Damn. was lookng forward to this one too http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7502914.stm

I hope he forgets about this fight now and takes on pavlik at super middle at the start of next year. He'd get far more respect if he managed to beat pavlik than beat someonelike roy jones, who despite being a great boxer is nowhere near being in his peak.

I enjoyed watching that. Cotto is the better boxer, Margarito the brawler. Sticking with Cotto points.

What kind of range are we talking with this bet? sounds like it could be quite a substantial amount:dribble:

What kind of range are we talking with this bet? sounds like it could be quite a substantial amount:dribble:

It's either substantial on overall win at 4/9 or decent bet at 10/11.

I'll post the slip to confirm.

I'm not sure...would be a good one. De la Hoya is bigger, but in this case I don't think that would phase Hatton too much. Urango was a big Welter, but it didn't cause too many problems for Hatton.

But De la Hoya has all the ring craft in the world. Would be a hell of a good fight. Hattons aggression could work well, but I don't know how telling it would be. Impossible to phase or upset DLH.

As for Witter. Hatton maybe didn't want to give Witter a payday, but thats a poor excuse. Best way to shut Witter up was to fight him, KO him convincingly and take his belt. Argument over!

Damn. was lookng forward to this one too http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7502914.stm

I hope he forgets about this fight now and takes on pavlik at super middle at the start of next year. He'd get far more respect if he managed to beat pavlik than beat someonelike roy jones, who despite being a great boxer is nowhere near being in his peak.

I'd even like him to fight Froch before Jones Jnr. Hope he fights Pavlik but.

Calzaghe won't fight Froch I don't think...a very dangerous one if he did. Froch has great power and agression.

Don't know why exactly, but I think Calzaghe would beat Pavlik without too much trouble. Think Kessler was more dangerous, and he dealt superbly with him in the end.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Looks like Calzaghe's brittle hands again.

He should have been fighting Pavlik anyway.

im off out for a few hours but i plan to be back for kick off ;) so to speak...looking forward to it.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

What a fight that was last night.

Margarito was outstanding. He just walked through Cotto and wore him down. Cotto was always on the back foot and although he fought brillantly for 6 rounds, had no answer to Margarito's onslaught.

Looks like Mayweather v Cotto won't ever happen now.

Margarito was outstanding. He just walked through Cotto and wore him down. Cotto was always on the back foot and although he fought brillantly for 6 rounds, had no answer to Margarito's onslaught.

Looks like Mayweather v Cotto won't ever happen now.

After all the build up i missed the fight:mad: sounds like it was a belter too, i didnt really think margarito would stand a chance, big upset. sorry h.a.n.s :eek: hope you didnt lose too much

Everybody loves Baz

Looks like it Eyemouth for the Holidays H.A.N.S :eek:

Looks like it Eyemouth for the Holidays H.A.N.S :eek:

if someone knows his number give him a bell and make sure he hasnt jumped...

Absolutely amazing fight.Nothing else to say really as i was pretty much speachless after it.

great fight, feel sorry for cotto as i reckon he outboxed margarito for most of it. he'll beat him in the rematch...will be better odds too HANS

Say What Again

Couldn't agree more Gav. I'm far from a boxing expert but that was fantastic last night.

It was a refreshing change from the heavyweight sluggers clinging on to each other for 12 rounds.

I was neutral when it started but very quickly changed to hoping Margarito would win. Which, I think he deservedly did.

He was the constant aggressor, always coming forward. That made for a great contest as Cotto's better boxing skills shone through and he picked his punches well - almost every one of them landing right on the button. Yet still Margarito came forward, they just bounced of him.

Did you hear the commentator say that Margarito threw 130 punches in the 7th (when he had Cotto in trouble)? That's an amazing stat. 130 punches thrown in 180 seconds? :eek: You're lucky if a heavyweight title fight has 130 punches thrown in 12 rounds.

Thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Say What Again
great fight, feel sorry for cotto as i reckon he outboxed margarito for most of it. he'll beat him in the rematch...will be better odds too HANS

He'll have to raise his game if it's anything like last night mate. Being the better the boxer is fine and well but he might try to avoid getting his face burst open in between.

Archived