Steven Naismith Appreciation Thread

Rudy T

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

St Johnstone have won three major trophies since we last won anything of significance.

Forgive me if I don’t crack the champagne open at finishing best of the rest and getting horsed in two semi finals. 

It’s not impossible to win a trophy but luck is required.  If edouard hadn’t dived and we didn’t take shite pens we’d have won 2.

whether you crack open the champagne or not, doesn’t change the reality that 3rd, and beating now OF teams in cups is the highest possible expectation we can place on our manager.  Anything else is a bonus and not the expectation. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Ricardo Quaresma

• GorgieFifeLife

GorgieFifeLife

It’s been a strange season in the top league in Scotland.  The quality has been of the lowest standard in living memory.  We have been a bit meh all season really.  Performance levels in general have been poor but it’s been enough to get results most weeks.  It’s not a team that excites at all.  We have been helped by the poorest Aberdeen and Hibs sides in years but we have done what we needed to secure 3rd.  We can’t be blinded by finishing 3rd however and we need to improve the team drastically going forward. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

It’s been a strange season in the top league in Scotland.  The quality has been of the lowest standard in living memory.  We have been a bit meh all season really.  Performance levels in general have been poor but it’s been enough to get results most weeks.  It’s not a team that excites at all.  We have been helped by the poorest Aberdeen and Hibs sides in years but we have done what we needed to secure 3rd.  We can’t be blinded by finishing 3rd however and we need to improve the team drastically going forward. 

To sum up it's a MM league.

Bull's-eye
23 minutes ago, kila said:

Trust you to give the board more credit than the manager :laugh:

Friends in high places and want to keep them sweet when they read your comments? :whistling:

Not really, i deal in fact not fiction.

This thread has accomplished nothing anyway, only upset the Golfers who think they have sole rights to the word "Par" and cant see it being used in any other way.

Par = average, normal . . . . Our season in other words.

Parttimer1874
24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s not impossible to win a trophy but luck is required.  If edouard hadn’t dived and we didn’t take shite pens we’d have won 2.

whether you crack open the champagne or not, doesn’t change the reality that 3rd, and beating now OF teams in cups is the highest possible expectation we can place on our manager.  Anything else is a bonus and not the expectation. 

You have lower standards than some of us. That’s obviously fine. I’d like us to win something and I don’t accept that not doing so for 12 years while others do is down purely to luck.  

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

St Johnstone have won three major trophies since we last won anything of significance.

Forgive me if I don’t crack the champagne open at finishing best of the rest and getting horsed in two semi finals. 

Why does St Johnstone winning  trophies in the past impact your ability to enjoy us finishing 3rd this season  or next season and appreciating our current manager?

Very strange.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Done a fine job for his 1st year as a head coach at 1st team level , another transfer window for him in the summer will hopefully see us stronger next season 

Parttimer1874
10 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Why does St Johnstone winning  trophies in the past impact your ability to enjoy us finishing 3rd this season  or next season and appreciating our current manager?

Very strange.

St Johnstone winning three trophies in a period we’ve won nothing shows that we are underachieving IMO. I couldn’t care less about finishing third tbh; might as well be 10th. Naismith has a striker at his disposal who has scored 28 goals this season - not finishing third would have been high incompetence. 

GorgieFifeLife
2 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

St Johnstone winning three trophies in a period we’ve won nothing shows that we are underachieving IMO. I couldn’t care less about finishing third tbh; might as well be 10th. Naismith has a striker at his disposal who has scored 28 goals this season - not finishing third would have been high incompetence. 

Why would we be as well finishing 10th?  It’s an interesting thought and not one which I have ever considered.

GorgieFifeLife
40 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

To sum up it's a MM league.

Sorry I don’t follow what you mean here?

Parttimer1874
3 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Why would we be as well finishing 10th?  It’s an interesting thought and not one which I have ever considered.

Because it means just as much ultimately IMO

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

Why you posting on a Naismith appreciation thread then?

Hard ask for him to win 3 trophies in his first season. 

Tbh, you have a loser mentality,I'll not be happy until we win a European trophy like Aberdeen have in my lifetime,  comparing us to St Johnstone really shows a low level of ambition. 

I won't care about anything until we do this,3rd place. European football,  finals- all under achievement when Aberdeen have won European trophies. 

Like you I'll be in a constant huff and not celebrate anything until we match St Johnstone,  sorry Aberdeen. 

Parttimer1874
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Why you posting on a Naismith appreciation thread then?

Hard ask for him to win 3 trophies in his first season. 

Tbh, you have a loser mentality,I'll not be happy until we win a European trophy like Aberdeen have in my lifetime,  comparing us to St Johnstone really shows a low level of ambition. 

I won't care about anything until we do this,3rd place. European football,  finals- all under achievement when Aberdeen have won European trophies. 

Like you I'll be in a constant huff and not celebrate anything until we match St Johnstone,  sorry Aberdeen. 

I can post where I fancy thanks. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

Not it doesn't,  your opinion is wrong.

Finishing higher in the league is better,  it's  a fact.

Once you go full time and follow football you'll understand why.

13 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

"Couldn't care less about finishing third"

:rofl:

Yes, **** European football eh? You sound like a bitter Hibby, enjoy being in your bed!

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Parttimer1874 said:

I can post where I fancy thanks. 

You can, I asked why?

As some have already alluded to, our away form has been totally transformed. This IMO is down to the manager and his staff, we have a never say die attitude, ok yes we have off days but in the main we have been very good. SN is proving a lot of doubters ( me included) wrong. Long may it continue.

Edited by micole

17 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

You couldn't care less about finishing 3rd!!.....ok then let's just chuck £5 million doon the drain. We all want to win 🏆 but we also have to deal with reality. And at the present 3rd is a good achievement and benefits the club.

Parttimer1874
Just now, micole said:

You couldn't care less about finishing 3rd!!.....ok then let's just chuck £5 million doon the drain. We all want to win 🏆 but we also have to deal with reality. And at the present 3rd is a good achievement and benefits the club.

We will likely chuck that £5m down the drain yes. 

gorgie rd eh11
19 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

Finishing 3rd gives higher prize money and access to guaranteed European money which makes winning a trophy more attainable. 

It's not hard to understand.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Finishing 3rd gives higher prize money and access to guaranteed European money which makes winning a trophy more attainable. 

For some it is.

If you need ti explain that, then what's the point. 

Part time football fan

And

Full time ( fill in missing word here) 😁

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Auld Reekin'
8 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

:icon14: :flag2: :jambobanana:

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

We will likely chuck that £5m down the drain yes. 

you make no sense whatsoever. I sense a Naismith denier, a budge over type  who hasn’t quite come to terms with the fact you were wrong all along.

By your metric of success we’ve only had 3 good seasons in 63 years. 🤣

now that record is undeniably poor. We all want better.  But demand it? No - that’s ridiculous and it’s got nothing to do with ambition or lack of it.  

Bazzas right boot
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

you make no sense whatsoever. I sense a Naismith denier, a budge over type  who hasn’t quite come to terms with the fact you were wrong all along.

By your metric of success we’ve only had 3 good seasons in 63 years. 🤣

now that record is undeniably poor. We all want better.  But demand it? No - that’s ridiculous and it’s got nothing to do with ambition or lack of it.  

It's also a Naismith appreciation thread, bit harsh to hold him accountable for us being  historically a bit shite and St Johnstone winning  cups before he was manager.

Harsh standards indeed.

Naismith oot because St Johnstone have won 3 cups many years ago and he hasn't. 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Not really, i deal in fact not fiction.

This thread has accomplished nothing anyway, only upset the Golfers who think they have sole rights to the word "Par" and cant see it being used in any other way.

Par = average, normal . . . . Our season in other words.

No, in golfing terms par is what you are expected to do at each hole. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's also a Naismith appreciation thread, bit harsh to hold him accountable for us being  historically a bit shite and St Johnstone winning  cups before he was manager.

Harsh standards indeed.

Naismith oot because St Johnstone have won 3 cups many years ago and he hasn't. 

100%

He’s been really good so far, we all hope he continues to improve and hearts win a trophy.

Bull's-eye
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

No, in golfing terms par is what you are expected to do at each hole. 

Wasn't on about golfing terms, thats the point.

Harry Potter
4 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

3rd place and semi final in both cups isn’t a par season for Hearts, its very good if you look at things historically. Cut the guy some slack.

this.

Bazzas right boot

Is Naismiths golf game on par?

tiger Rudi
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Talking Shite and looking for a fight as usual i see.

What Aberdeens budget has to do with  Hearts is beyond most sane minds.

The supporters and club expressed a desire to get 3rd and play at Hampden. Thats exactly what we've achieved under Naismith's tenure.

So to simplify it for you as you seem to require the simple explanation.

1st Orgasmic

2nd Great

3rd Average

4th Poor

Below, sacked.

Come on mate you can't jump from great to average. What happened to good? 

3rd is a good season surely. Average 4th no? 

GinRummy

Regardless of anything else he’s brought steel and belief to the team, qualities that were lacking in previous managers imo. 

I agree with other posters that the standard (generally) of our opponents has been poor but you can only play what is in front of you. He’s done a brilliant job for a rookie manager and the more transfer windows he gets the closer we get to seeing where he can take us.

Too often I’ve swung from bored to disappointed following Hearts. It’s nice to be a bit excited and optimistic. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Is going to go very far, enjoy him whilst he is here becuase he will already have suitors.

thankfully, I think he is intelligent enough to realise he still has a lot to learn and this is as good a place as he will find to cut his teeth.  We will have him for at least another couple of seasons yet imo. 

I hope Hearts are not the pinnacle of his management career. Obviously that could only be good for us. I really like him. Hopefully 3 or 4 more seasons with us. A cup win, any cup would be nice. But in Scotland 3rd and Europe is not to be sneezed at. This season with VAR really showed Scottish football up for the  joke it is. For me third is the new 1st. 

The Real Maroonblood
50 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Sorry I don’t follow what you mean here?

Our league is a Mickey Mouse league which endorses your post.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I hope Hearts are not the pinnacle of his management career. Obviously that could only be good for us. I really like him. Hopefully 3 or 4 more seasons with us. A cup win, any cup would be nice. But in Scotland 3rd and Europe is not to be sneezed at. This season with VAR really showed Scottish football up for the  joke it is. For me third is the new 1st. 

someone who gets it

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, kila said:

Trust you to give the board more credit than the manager :laugh:

Friends in high places and want to keep them sweet when they read your comments? :whistling:

The board deserve credit for knowing he was the right choice

It's a shame he had to put up with a lot of static from people that were clueless, but I'll bet he didn't care

Both the board and Naismith resolute and everyone deserves credit for that

zeke1874

Shaping up to be a very good young manager. Improved us in plenty of ways and also improved players as well. Excellent win percentage and no really any game we've won where I thought we fluked it. Players work hard for him and believe in him.

Surprised how calm he always seems compared to his playing career!! He was a nasty wee windup as a player but always seems very composed as a manager. 

Next season is huge for him and it'll be interesting how he deals with outgoing and incoming transfers as that could be decisive. If we lose shanks beni and cochrane, as has been rumoured, then he's got some work to do. Or savage has...

GinRummy
1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

The board deserve credit for knowing he was the right choice

It's a shame he had to put up with a lot of static from people that were clueless, but I'll bet he didn't care

Both the board and Naismith resolute and everyone deserves credit for that

Not sure Andrew McKinlay was resolute.  

You were absolutely dogged in your defence of him though so credit to you there. 

Bull's-eye
6 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

I can guarantee you that 4th would have been followed by calls for Naisy to be sacked.

The point remains that the support on a whole and the club itself wanted 3rd and Hampden trips. Anything above that is worthy of note.

Hence why im sitting at Par for the season.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Not now, 4th is a sackable offence now.

3rd is good imo, but we've now set our stall out in a way that 4th is a sackable position,  I don't agree with it tbh. If we finished 4th next season I'd still back Naismith, but the club has set the new standard.

Could be a good thing. 

frankblack
2 minutes ago, zeke1874 said:

Shaping up to be a very good young manager. Improved us in plenty of ways and also improved players as well. Excellent win percentage and no really any game we've won where I thought we fluked it. Players work hard for him and believe in him.

I do like the way he talks post match and what he identifies that we need to improve on.

Surprised how calm he always seems compared to his playing career!! He was a nasty wee windup as a player but always seems very composed as a manager. 

I must admit that I expected to see more of the shithousery like we got with Lee Johnston at the Tynie derby at the end of last season.

Next season is huge for him and it'll be interesting how he deals with outgoing and incoming transfers as that could be decisive. If we lose shanks beni and cochrane, as has been rumoured, then he's got some work to do. Or savage has...

I think its a definite we'll lose all three, with Beni going for nothing.  This makes it harder year on year when the squad never settles and goes from one rebuild to another.

frankblack
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Not now, 4th is a sackable offence now.

3rd is good imo, but we've now set our stall out in a way that 4th is a sackable position,  I don't agree with it tbh. If we finished 4th next season I'd still back Naismith, but the club has set the new standard.

Could be a good thing. 

People have to also take into account the extra demands on squad depth for playing in Europe and consequences  on league results.  Its affected us and Aberdeen have suffered thus year too.

Edited by frankblack

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Parttimer1874 said:

:cornette_dog:

image.jpeg.770ffedd7a6f4c3672102b71920b93e9.jpeg

:rofl:

Polonia Gorgie

I've really enjoyed his first season, it's been a bit of a rollercoaster, it's had a bit of everything. I was intrigued by Naismith's appointment. I wouldn't have picked him n now I wouldn't swap him for anyone. If we have a similar season next year he will have clubs sniffing around him. I just hope he sees building something here at Hearts is better than getting sacked after a few months in England.

Ricardo Quaresma
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not sure Andrew McKinlay was resolute.  

You were absolutely dogged in your defence of him though so credit to you there. 

Aye, well, I'm the least sure about AM, I'll give you that 👍

Bongo 1874

Still need to improve on style of play etc but he's showing very good signs so far.

Steven is very much like myself and can be way to hard on himself,as the standards he sets are so high.

He does genuinely want the best for Hearts.

And will die trying to get the very best out of this team and club.

Rick Sanchez

How long is his contract?

Probably merits a bump and someone of his own choosing in the backroom.

GinRummy
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Still need to improve on style of play etc but he's showing very good signs so far.

Steven is very much like myself and can be way to hard on himself,as the standards he sets are so high.

He does genuinely want the best for Hearts.

And will die trying to get the very best out of this team and club.

Drawing comparisons with yourself is a bit much. The thread isn’t about you bud. 

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, Parttimer1874 said:

10th gets you European football and millions in income?

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Drawing comparisons with yourself is a bit much. The thread isn’t about you bud. 

Like Steven I genuinely believe we can win the league,and I don't see 3rd as a massive achievement that's the minimum for a club our size.

I was born a winner,I'll die a winner mate.

GinRummy
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Like Steven I genuinely believe we can win the league,and I don't see 3rd as a massive achievement that's the minimum for a club our size.

I was born a winner,I'll die a winner mate.

Keep winning mate 👍