Devlin

alicante jambo

Smithian

I feel vindicated for sticking with him as a future captain in my book. His ability isn’t finished being written! There is growth left. 

Edited by Smithian

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• CMc

• been here before

• Sooks

Russ1977
7 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

He's not going to win many heeders is he? 😂

He's only 25 i suppose, so hopefully he keeps progressing. 

He wins loads of headers. Don’t think I’ve seen a hearts player win as many balls he shouldn’t as cammy does. Good wee player that for some reason folk write off as a dud🤷‍♂️

Russ1977
6 hours ago, hearts00 said:

I agree with a lot of that but the last statement is not necessarily true. 

Devlin can do all the great stuff he did today but when he gets into the key positions, which he did brilliantly today, if he does not have the quality with his decision making, execution of pass or ability to finish, then we aint winning anything. 

He has some tremendous attributes no doubt and should be a big factor going forward. But do I believe he is the answer to us creating more and scoring more, 100% no. 

He was no worse in a creative sense than shankland, Vargas, Forrest or mackay. He was by miles our best player today and if our attacking players had played as well as him we’d have won comfortably. 

alicante jambo
4 hours ago, Russ1977 said:

He was no worse in a creative sense than shankland, Vargas, Forrest or mackay. He was by miles our best player today and if our attacking players had played as well as him we’d have won comfortably. 

The wee man was brilliant yesterday. How any poster can come on and criticise him after that performance is mental.

Mdoug79

MOM by a distance. It’s evident there are changes in his game being coached into him. 
Credit to Naismith he said he was looking to change the way Devlin plays and I think today was clear they are starting to see the fruits of the labour. 

Skacelsid

Well played Cammy, always thought box to box was his game, the goals will come just get behind the boy. Big player next season.

KyleLafferty

I’ve always wanted a manager a hearts that tries to make players better. Naisy seems to do it. 

9 hours ago, been here before said:

He's 26 year old, he should be hitting his prime years not being spoken of as having potential.

Some players keep developing as they get older. 

Sir Paul, for example. 

Tynecastle Valhalla

I like him beside beni

shame we won’t get to see them plus hoff in front next season 

as beni will be away I fear

but you never know 

avhudtheteeshirt

He's back to his "Duracell Man" game, never stops being a pest to the opposition!!!

What he's showing now in the remaining games is potential for a phenomenal next season.   I m not claiming potential over two years.   I don't think he's far away.   He's already scored goals, made assists, key passing.    Just needs to add more to it. 

Edited by HMFC01
spelling

johnking123

Seems to be learning to get forward more. Need him on a longer contract.

For me, Cammy Devlin is probably in my starting XI every week.

His energy levels and determination make us a better side.

Bongo 1874

Hearts’ Premiership points total prior to the weekend ranked alongside Celtic and Rangers. In the previous 23 games, they amassed 51 points to Celtic’s 52 and Rangers’ 54. That run propelled the Edinburgh club to within touching distance of third place, although Saturday’s goalless draw at Kilmarnock leaves them still needing two points to confirm that position.

The £5m reward through guaranteed European league-stage football on the Continent next season is a huge carrot for every club in Scotland outwith the top two. It is Hearts’ pre-season target and form over recent months indicates they are ready for it. Challenging Celtic and Rangers is regarded as the holy grail in Scottish football and the challenge from Gorgie is real.

Midfielder Cammy Devlin, a standout performer at Rugby Park, spoke openly about Hearts’ European prospects and trying to infiltrate the Glasgow duopoly. They experienced group-stage football in season 2022/23 but missed out this year. Now they are on the cusp of returning to that arena.

“The goal for Hearts every year is to get group-stage European football,” said Devlin. “The first season I was here, we got it. We got to a cup final as well. We obviously fell short last year. Listen, it’s a lot of money we’re talking about. That speaks for itself but it’s about success as well. It’s about us performing and delivering that.

‘At a club like Hearts, you should be getting into Europe and into the group stage. We’re very close now. Unfortunately we didn’t get the win on Saturday to confirm it, but we’re very close. We just need to finish it off and, hopefully, next year we can go to another level.

“I think it’s so important for the club to bring that money in. It brings so much in terms of players. By playing in Europe, you’re going to attract people. The fans get in amongst it. It’s been so unfortunate this year, we’ve been to Hampden twice and unfortunately lost to Rangers both times. But I felt last weekend, while we lost 2-0 we were close. It felt like on the pitch it was close. We played well.

“It’s about getting there, as close as we can, working as hard as we can every single day. We go out with a game plan to win every single game. It doesn’t matter who we play against. If we can do that then brilliant. But they [Celtic and Rangers] are massive football clubs, aren’t they? So, it’s just about trying to get as close as we can and I feel like we’re on the right track.”

Beating Celtic home and away this season suggests Hearts have the capability to get there on occasions. “Hey, that’s what I mean,” added Devlin. “It’s about trying to do that as much as we can as a football club. We’re a massive club, so I feel like going and challenging these guys is something we should be doing.”

The 25-year-old has endured mixed fortunes during a campaign interrupted by injury. Saturday’s performance was possibly his best domestic display in a slightly different role. Asked to play as an advanced midfielder, Devlin repeatedly breached the Kilmarnock defence and caused untold problems. He also hit the crossbar with a first-half shot from outside the penalty area.

“When the ball was cut back, I kind of took it off Beni’s feet. He probably wouldn’t have shot anyway,” laughed the Australian. “They didn’t really press me or close me down so I thought I’d have a go. I looked up and saw the back stick. I thought it was dropping in to be honest. Unfortunately not, but I feel like it’s a positive that I’m getting into those positions. We felt like, when their centre-backs came out, there could be space in behind. It was me and [Jorge] Granty doing that. You could see the space in behind and I was able to get in a few times.

“On a personal level, it’s been up and down for me this season. I think I started well and was probably playing my best football since I arrived at the club. I felt like I was consistent, getting a good run in the team, and was injury-free. I then came out the team for a couple of weeks and actually picked up an injury here when we played Kilmarnock.

“I think I missed three-and-a-half months, roughly. That disrupts you completely. In the past few weeks, I feel confident and feel like I’m starting to play well again. I want to have a strong finish to the season. I want to play every single game, that’s just my attitude. I’m super hungry to do well.”

Sustained European involvement over the coming months would certainly help sate that appetite for progress. Hearts supporters partied in Latvia, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Switzerland and Norway in the last two years. Provided their team achieves third spot in the league, they will have at least four more adventures to plan.

“Firstly, the experiences that us as players, the fans, the club as a whole - those away days were great. I can just imagine being in the crowd,” smiled Devlin. “My mates were at Fiorentina and they had the best time. I imagine that would be so good, going away with your mates to watch the team you support playing.

As a player, to play at those cool stadiums – PAOK, Florence – it was just such a good experience. Winning away to Riga. For Hearts, winning in Europe is such a good achievement. We want to make the European group stage regularly, it’s what we kind of expect year to year, but it’s not easy. It’s a really tough league.

“You come to places like Kilmarnock, we played really well and still didn’t win. So, it’s about winning these sort of games to make it a lot easier for us. “And, yes, I’m desperate to get back in the group stages because it’s such a good experience and a great way to perform.

You’re playing against good teams. Fiorentina went on to make the final [last season] and they lost. You’re coming up against massive teams but you want to test yourself. They are the games – just like you play the Old Firm here and those European matches – that you want to play in as a footballer: Big crowds, great atmospheres, a real good platform to go and show what you work hard at every day - to go and perform with your mates.

“We’re just desperate to get back there and hopefully we can go a lot better. But it’s not done yet. It’s close. It’s about finishing it off. I feel like when we get back there, it’s different to the Scottish games and you’ve got to adapt and having that busy schedule is just class. Fingers crossed we can get there.”

On 27/04/2024 at 17:45, Greedy Jambo said:

He played well for about 30 minutes. 

He's still not good enough going forward, IMO

Too short and too slow. 

He is not slow , and as for height , that means **** all

Robertson

Colquhoun

Crabbe

Cameron

Hartley

Statuesque giants of the big physical Hearts of the past 

8 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Too small GTF

Colin_Cameron.jpg

_125265652_gettyimages-57234334.jpg

Just could not take to these two . Far too small . Did not win enough headers . Same with McCann , always thought he could have played at a higher level if he was a couple of inches taller :( 

Japan Jambo
On 27/04/2024 at 17:34, db211833 said:

We are seeing coaching that we haven't had in a long time. Both him and Naismith have talked about him being coached to be more box to box. We started to see that today.

Much needed too, as a club we needed to coach out flaws and bring on players!! 👍

gorgielads1874

cammy devlin was a real legend on saturday. carried the team and got more promising looking shots. he may be wee but he makes up for that with his skill. need to keep him and see where we can go with more development 

38 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Much needed too, as a club we needed to coach out flaws and bring on players!! 👍

Totally agree . I was pretty sceptical about that at first but I have changed my mind completely . Good players should always be looking to improve no matter what age they are . The two things that allow that to happen are good coaching and playing against better opponents . Hopefully we win our Europa League play off 

tartofmidlothian
On 27/04/2024 at 17:10, alicante jambo said:

Played brilliant today. Motm by far and looked a man on a mission. We all seen how it totally changed when the wee man went off and so unlucky not to score. Charged forward at every opportunity exactly what we love to see.Best game he has played this season.

Must have been incredible if it was better than his performance against Rosenborg at home. He was like Mickey Cameron or Sir Paul reborn in that match, play like that every week for a couple of seasons and we'll speak about him in the same breath as those guys, no question.

I don't understand why, especially in Scotland, a midfielder is expected to be tall/imposing. Xavi and Iniesta weren't the tallest and their partnership was successful. Cammy gives his all in every game, something we've missed in midfield in previous years. To my mind he's a starter in every game but he cannot run midfield on his own, his partnership with Beni, especially prior to Beni's injury, gave us a strong midfield. 

We need to get him to sign an extension. We have the breathing room of an extra year, but we really need to be proactive and get this sorted. 

1 hour ago, Macros said:

I don't understand why, especially in Scotland, a midfielder is expected to be tall/imposing. Xavi and Iniesta weren't the tallest and their partnership was successful. Cammy gives his all in every game, something we've missed in midfield in previous years. To my mind he's a starter in every game but he cannot run midfield on his own, his partnership with Beni, especially prior to Beni's injury, gave us a strong midfield. 

Most Hearts supporters with even a hint of a scooby do not expect it 

Bob Loblaw
1 hour ago, Dayman said:

I’m glad someone else sees it! I mentioned this in my article for the Hearts Standard today.

https://x.com/heartsstandard_/status/1786303142138704208?s=46

Think that really highlights how important he can be. Also shows that a lot of the criticisms of him don't match up with what is actually happening on the park. Bit of confirmation bias from those with entrenched views at play at times.

On 27/04/2024 at 23:50, Greedy Jambo said:

Nope, wrong again, you really need to get a new hobby. 

Worst detective ever. 

Definitely the Space Pirate like.  👍