Can we just have some perspective please?

Victor Meldrew

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Hackney Hearts said:

If we can achieve one thing post-split, let's see if we can win our final game and get rid of the block!

Here's hoping buddy here's hoping 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• Pasquale for King

• A_A wehatethehibs

• HopeDiouf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Are you seriously having a go at an 18 year old kid for taking a risk at 1-0 down after nearly 80 minutes?  The safety first attitude you seem to be favouring is exactly why were losing and barely laid a glove on them.  At some point when you’re losing a semi final you have take risks.  At least Tait had the balls to do that unlike his more senior teammates.  And in any case the goal was preventable even after he lost possession. 

Spot on

Edited by Pasquale for King

loveofthegame
4 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Ah **** it. I'm over it already.

Looking forward to the next game, the Euros, the transfer window and next season. 

I'm pretty much here. Took my wee boy to Hampden for the first time yesterday and he gave me so much perspective - he loved the occasion, being part of something special like that, the see of maroon as the twirly took place pre-game, the just being a Hearts fan.

I was so disappointed at first but we've had a fantastic season and next season we have the opportunity to have an even better one with being almost guaranteed Euro group stage football in the new look European set-up, with more money to spend on players as the Board have openly said.

If we get our recruitment right this summer there is nothing at all to suggest that we can't have an even better season next year. In some respects a stronger Aberdeen and Hibs (surely?!) is a bad thing but I really, truly want a more competitive Scottish league. I really detest both the OF and think the more sides we have that can beat them the better. It raises all of our chances of success.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

If we can achieve one thing post-split, let's see if we can win our final game and get rid of the block!

Thats all we have left to do this season, another meek capitulation will lead to a bad feeling over the summer. 

Victor Meldrew
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s nothing new though, why we try harder against Celtic than Rangers is a mystery, or is there an obvious reason?

You're buying into the Celtic narrative that it's about effort. I think that Naismith has managed to work out how to play against the current Celtic team but hasn't sussed out how to do it against Rangers yet. I appreciate that the players didn't perform yesterday but it was difficult with us being outnumbered in midfield

chrystaf
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on

Exactly.  Photo in the Scotsman shows the scorer with four of us looking on after being skinned.  Tait's error was the start but not the reason why we lost that second goal.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Victor Meldrew said:

You're buying into the Celtic narrative that it's about effort. I think that Naismith has managed to work out how to play against the current Celtic team but hasn't sussed out how to do it against Rangers yet. I appreciate that the players didn't perform yesterday but it was difficult with us being outnumbered in midfield

We all see it with our own eyes, the facts are there to see, not just under SN, poor performances under RN and CL. Even Stendel twice, CL only beat them once so far in his whole managerial career, and Cathro beat them. They showed how to beat them, many teams do, our current tactics dont work and after the game yesterday he still thought the tactics were correct, they weren’t. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, chrystaf said:

Exactly.  Photo in the Scotsman shows the scorer with four of us looking on after being skinned.  Tait's error was the start but not the reason why we lost that second goal.

Like the 1st goal, Kingsley slack clearance caused a problem but Forrest, Rowles, Beni, Kent or Atkinson could’ve done better to stop the goal. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Like the 1st goal, Kingsley slack clearance caused a problem but Forrest, Rowles, Beni, Kent or Atkinson could’ve done better to stop the goal. 

Rowles has got to win that ball and put it and the rangers player 10 foot in the air , soft as shite

6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Rowles has got to win that ball and put it and the rangers player 10 foot in the air , soft as shite

I haven’t watched it back but I blame Kingsley, he clears it properly and there is no goal. 

Edited by Dazo

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Absolutely, as someone said yesterday he seems to get away without the criticism that Sibbick gets when both are quite similar in terms of the mistakes they make. He hasn’t improved one bit since he arrived. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Dazo said:

I haven’t watched it back but I play Kingsley, he clears it properly and there is no goal. 

Yeah Kingsley clearance is poor but Rowles goes in on tackle full on and he clears the danger , very very poor goal to give away and so early in the game aswell 

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Yesterday was a waste of my time & money, but hey, not really fussed & won't be repeating the trip back to Hampden to play either of the old firm anytime in the future, just got better things to do in my life. 

Oh well, it'll be your loss when we do beat them again, which will happen at some point.  

Debut 4
11 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

It’s a mix of everything is it not?   Effort, shape, cleverness, skill etc…but effort is the starting point.  It’s a sport(not being smart when I say that to you) and the physical aspects and mindset needs to be correct.  

Almost all season we never seem to spark early in the game. It’s all this feel your way in nonsense when you should be ready to go in mind and body, with workrate and control and sharpness.  

Properly switched on.

Again, we looked off the pace half a yard early doors and didn’t even wake up to the fact Rangers had started with all the things we didn’t start with. 

Our players seem to struggle massively with starting a game with a real intent to impose ourselves. Our powers of comeback against the rest of the league works but it’s finally bitten us on the biggest game of the season to date.  

The argument could be you can still lose on a good day to the Old Firm but I’d hazard a guess your chances of success are raised when you have a team that can be more defiant and resilient.  

A_A wehatethehibs
32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

There was no need for them both to be so deep ffs, and there was nobody square to play the ball to. 
We needed a goal and the youngster was doing the right thing, unlike the more experienced players around him. The manager demands that the midfielders go forward with the ball at all times, take it up with him.

In no universe is trying to beat 2 rangers midfielders when the pants are down defensively behind you “the right thing”. He walked right into a trap that was set for him. 

He had done a good job of “going forward with the ball” as you say. He had got over the halfway line.

Then, it’s time to consolidate, remain calm, calculated  because any error, rangers will take the ball and have a free run at a back 4 in no man’s land who are making their way up. Essential to be aware of where they are. And at that point he he makes an absolutely absurd choice to try to continue his run Lionel Messi style THAT is the risk I am talking about. He should’ve consolidated the territory gain which he had made, which would then enable his team mates to step forward. 

They were deep because of the phase of play, they were steadily moving up the pitch as a unit, but he had gone off on his own. Having made the initial good gain, he then tries to go for a Messi style skip past 2 rangers midfielders, gifting away possession at the worst possible moment in completely unnecessary fashion. Absolutely not the right thing to do. Car crash midfield play objectively. 

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

For me rangers never even needed to get out 2nd gear yesterday , Aberdeen and Coventry both went out the cup this weekend but can hold their heads high having at least shown some ambition,  fight and going for it

They're stuck in 2nd gear

Until yesterday and from next game...

It hasn't been their day, their week, their month or even their year

Spoiler

:greggy:

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s a mix of everything is it not?   Effort, shape, cleverness, skill etc…but effort is the starting point.  It’s a sport(not being smart when I say that to you) and the physical aspects and mindset needs to be correct.  

Almost all season we never seem to spark early in the game. It’s all this feel your way in nonsense when you should be ready to go in mind and body, with workrate and control and sharpness.  

Properly switched on.

Again, we looked off the pace half a yard early doors and didn’t even wake up to the fact Rangers had started with all the things we didn’t start with. 

Our players seem to struggle massively with starting a game with a real intent to impose ourselves. Our powers of comeback against the rest of the league works but it’s finally bitten us on the biggest game of the season to date.  

The argument could be you can still lose on a good day to the Old Firm but I’d hazard a guess your chances of success are raised when you have a team that can be more defiant and resilient.  

Spot on

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

come on man. We didnt show ambition ? Fight ? Or go for it ?

utter bollocks.  I must have been at a different game.  These players could not be faulted for fight or ambition and we did go for it.   2 bad goals to concede  no doubt but could say the same about any goal.

this squad is young, will get better and will have additions for next season.

Aberdeen for all your fawning are fighting to avoid the relegation play offs ffs.  

You're wasting your time arguing this point.  It's just a standard entrenched position with some posters that every time we lose to one of the arsecheeks, we shat the bed, didn't turn up, etc.  And 99% of the time, they're one of the worst rangers or celtic teams in living memory (even if they did make the last 16 in one of the European competitions that season).

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

In no universe is trying to beat 2 rangers midfielders when the pants are down defensively behind you “the right thing”. He walked right into a trap that was set for him. 

He had done a good job of “going forward with the ball” as you say. He had got over the halfway line.

Then, it’s time to consolidate, remain calm, calculated  because any error, rangers will take the ball and have a free run at a back 4 in no man’s land who are making their way up. Essential to be aware of where they are. And at that point he he makes an absolutely absurd choice to try to continue his run Lionel Messi style THAT is the risk I am talking about. He should’ve consolidated the territory gain which he had made, which would then enable his team mates to step forward. 

They were deep because of the phase of play, they were steadily moving up the pitch as a unit, but he had gone off on his own. Having made the initial good gain, he then tries to go for a Messi style skip past 2 rangers midfielders, gifting away possession at the worst possible moment in completely unnecessary fashion. Absolutely not the right thing to do. Car crash midfield play objectively. 

There was a huge gap that he was trying to run into as both players were to his left, his control and enthusiasm let him down, as did his teammates. Even if he did make the wrong decision at his age and the position we were in then he was still making a better effort than most of his teammates. He has a great future ahead of him, not sure you can say that about too many others around him apart from Shankland and Vargas. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

And another goal scorer to take weight of Shankland. None of Oda, Vargas, or Tagawa look like they have a lot of goals in them to me. 

I'm starting to wonder if the outside options are really there for Shankland. I'm not sure he makes Rangers a better side than they are at the moment. A better finisher than Dessers? Unquestionably. But does he offer enough in other aspects of his game? I'm not so sure. There is not a single CB in this league he could run away from. Not one. I appreciate he would get chances on a plate against most of the league but his laboured style at times would very quickly attract groans amongst their support in Europe etc. I'm also nowhere near convinced he's in the best physical shape possible.

Hard to be critical of Shanks as his goals have carried us this season. There's a paucity of goals outside if his contribution as you mention. That doesn't mean he can allow himself not to be in the best possible shape possible. He may yet conclude the best outcome is to extend his deal with us. Mad as it may sound I'd still be inclined to take a good fee for him if indeed such an offer is likely and try and reshape our forward options. We're too reliant on Shankland and we need far more pace and intent in the forward areas.

The demands of the Hampden pitch found us out yet again yesterday. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Carter said:

I'm starting to wonder if the outside options are really there for Shankland. I'm not sure he makes Rangers a better side than they are at the moment. A better finisher than Dessers? Unquestionably. But does he offer enough in other aspects of his game? I'm not so sure. There is not a single CB in this league he could run away from. Not one. I appreciate he would get chances on a plate against most of the league but his laboured style at times would very quickly attract groans amongst their support in Europe etc. I'm also nowhere near convinced he's in the best physical shape possible.

Hard to be critical of Shanks as his goals have carried us this season. There's a paucity of goals outside if his contribution as you mention. That doesn't mean he can allow himself not to be in the best possible shape possible. He may yet conclude the best outcome is to extend his deal with us. Mad as it may sound I'd still be inclined to take a good fee for him if indeed such an offer is likely and try and reshape our forward options. We're too reliant on Shankland and we need far more pace and intent in the forward areas.

Spot on 

buzzbomb1958
1 hour ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Absolutely fantastic strategy for getting us back to the bottom of the table. Keep turning the squad over every season because we're not Pep's City, let no players settle and improve. Cathro was a genius, let's get back to doing that.

These players have had plenty of time to improve and they haven’t same brain farts and no better at thinking about passes or defending, sorry but players like Rowles , Devlin, Grant , Forrest , Haring,Atkinson even Beni are playing as good as they ever will and they are just not good enough.

TheBigO
2 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Threads like this appear after every Rangers defeat. Perspective, getting closer, next time etc.

Did we have more territory and possession than usual against them yesterday? Yes. 

Did we look like we believe we'd win? I don't think so.

It's incredibly frustrating and don't see it changing anytime soon.

WHich is massively surprising against a team with 10x our resources isn't it.  Come on Hearts!!

TheBigO
2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We'll agree to disagree buddy , for me rangers didn't even need to get out of 2nd gear yesterday 

Not so sure, but yeah probably just disagree, haha!

As I say, we had good chances at 1-1, which to me suggests if they were in second gear, they shouldn't have been.  Had we scored, the momentum is with us.  We just made a tit of it in their box time and again.  Pull the trigger, man.

Chillidigits

I wonder if Hearts would have performed as Aberdeen did if, like them, winning the cup was the only way Hearts would get to Europe. Anyway Sunday was just a warm up for the big one - v - Killie.

Gordon Ramsay
7 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

WHich is massively surprising against a team with 10x our resources isn't it.  Come on Hearts!!

Ross County beat them last week and we probably have 10x the resources of County.

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

There was a huge gap that he was trying to run into as both players were to his left, his control and enthusiasm let him down, as did his teammates. Even if he did make the wrong decision at his age and the position we were in then he was still making a better effort than most of his teammates. He has a great future ahead of him, not sure you can say that about too many others around him apart from Shankland and Vargas. 

I’d actually have less of a problem with that bit of play if it was on 90+4 mins, a Hail Mary and we end up going down 2-0. But this was 80 mins. There was plenty of time on the clock, we’d had a few chances, 1-0 still in the game, time for patience, the chance will come… just a mad moment from a kid trying to make his mark on the game 

Unfortunate for him to learn these lessons on such a big occasion, but hopefully he will react in the right way and we will see him rise to a true first team standard of midfielder next season. He certainly has talent

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I’d actually have less of a problem with that bit of play if it was on 90+4 mins, a Hail Mary and we end up going down 2-0. But this was 80 mins. There was plenty of time on the clock, we’d had a few chances, 1-0 still in the game, time for patience, the chance will come… just a mad moment from a kid trying to make his mark on the game 

Unfortunate for him to learn these lessons on such a big occasion, but hopefully he will react in the right way and we will see him rise to a true first team standard of midfielder next season. He certainly has talent

He created the best chance we had, so did better than the rest of the team and they certainly could’ve helped him after he lost the ball. 

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Ross County beat them last week and we probably have 10x the resources of County.

Exactly 

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

These players have had plenty of time to improve and they haven’t same brain farts and no better at thinking about passes or defending, sorry but players like Rowles , Devlin, Grant , Forrest , Haring,Atkinson even Beni are playing as good as they ever will and they are just not good enough.

Probably correct, we need upgrades on most of that list to progress. 

soonbe110
56 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yes, he has certainly gone off the boil last 4/5 games. Hard to see who signs him now unless he does something special at Euros which is unlikely. You would think he would be keeping his fitness at peak levels given the summer to come. 

As well as pace up front we need players with pace and an ability to see what’s going on around them. Forrest, Vargas and to a lesser extent Oda always seem to take the wrong option and run up blind alleys.  Yesterday was a perfect  example second half, Forrest gets possession, goes past a man, then decides to head for the goal line rather than looking up and seeing that he has two teammates to his right who are in much better positions than he is.  A wasted opportunity at a time we were beginning to dominate possession. 

Yesterday's fallout is why I don't post following a game. We were disappointing but I've seen us have worse days than Sunday. Shanks was murder but on the flip side thought Beni had a great game. We have 3rd and Europe all sewn up. So we have that to look forward to. Or would people prefer us to be like our shitey neighbours and face bottom 6 mediocrity?

Selkirkhmfc1874
6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Yesterday's fallout is why I don't post following a game. We were disappointing but I've seen us have worse days than Sunday. Shanks was murder but on the flip side thought Beni had a great game. We have 3rd and Europe all sewn up. So we have that to look forward to. Or would people prefer us to be like our shitey neighbours and face bottom 6 mediocrity?

We're Hearts supporters so no interest in what our neighbours do, dont get why some refer to them on here so often! Fcuk them no interest in hibs

Selkirkhmfc1874

Logo for selling tickets was do it for the badge, the fans done that as always but the players certainly didn't imo

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Young player tries to be brave on the ball. Good on him for it.

Bull's-eye

Some thread.

Usual suspects posting the same pish over and over again trying to look like fitbaw experts. It has the opposite effect of course.

Been a very good season, loads of great stuff going on at the stadium and still a few games to go, end of season swally is always something to look forward to as well . .  😜

Victor Meldrew
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

But according to others, Beni was the worst player on the pitch. Put 10 football fans in a room and you'll get 12 opinions. I thought he did OK.

upgotheheads
4 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

IMG_5716.jpeg

Excellent research. We're third best in the league but not by much, as yesterday showed.

The Hogfather
5 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

IMG_5716.jpeg

That can't be right, @bobskeldon says we're rubbish. Surely he's not full of shite?

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

IMG_5716.jpeg

Point of note-

For the worst Rangers team in half a century, who are vulnerable and were  there for the taking- they are doing not bad!

Cochrane123

With no cup final and group stage football pretty much secured there is for me an opportunity for Savage etc to carry on with shaping the squad next season.

The 3 pre contracts are a great start, but RB and at least another striker with pace and power need to be the focus.

No final and league done removes any distractions. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

That can't be right, @bobskeldon says we're rubbish. Surely he's not full of shite?

Worse than that, half the jkb rabble had rangers down as rubbish, shite, worse side in 50 years, vulnerable,  there for the taking, etc.

TheBigO
3 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

And we've beaten Celtic eice this season but they'll finish 20 points ahead and win the league. Whats your point?

Malinga the Swinga
9 hours ago, benny said:

Sorry but we are getting nowhere near sevco.

For some reason we never turn up against them.

They were there for the taking yesterday and once again we failed miserably.

Well we are at lot closer to them this year than we were last so I'd say you are talking absolute nonsense. Just look at points table.

Alternatively, carry on acting like a child, don't really care.

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

So what. It's sport and results like that happen. What part don't you understand?

Nelly Terraces
5 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Yeah because we get to Hampden every weekend. Away and slaver somewhere else Hearts don’t need folk like you supporting them anyways. 

Ah, very mature post. The old 'we dinnae need fans like you glory hunters supporting the club' cliche. Deary me man, grow the hell up. I've been going since 1976 & been there when the club's been at rock bottom, but priorities change & I've other things in life such as distance running & hillwalking that I know give me far more enjoyment. Sorry if you can't deal with that.

And please don't bother replying, I won't read it as have nothing else to say on the matter. Cheers.

Nelly Terraces
5 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Oh well, it'll be your loss when we do beat them again, which will happen at some point.  

I'll be delighted when (IF???) we ever beat them again. Cheers.

upgotheheads

32 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

I'll be delighted when (IF???) we ever beat them again. Cheers.

We play them on the last day, which might be a title decider.