Positives

comradejambo

5jambo1
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

How were they against 3? Grant was allegedly in midfield too.

Grant was closer to Shankland! He pressed high, quite often against their centre backs. We were out numbered in the middle of park

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Watt-Zeefuik

• 5jambo1

Top Posters In This Topic

Bunny Munro

We weren't good enough today in either box. You can't conceded 2 and expect to win, you also can't score 0 and expect to win.

The positive is over the season, on paper, this has been our most successful seasons for a long time. 3rd in the league and into the semis of both cups. I want to see progress on that next year. 

periodictabledancer
Just now, Bunny Munro said:

We weren't good enough today in either box. You can't conceded 2 and expect to win, you also can't score 0 and expect to win.

The positive is over the season, on paper, this has been our most successful seasons for a long time. 3rd in the league and into the semis of both cups. I want to see progress on that next year. 

Can we please not talk about reaching cup semis as some kind of  achievement. It's totally random and this season - like many others - was a waste of time in that regard. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

Grant was closer to Shankland! He pressed high, quite often against their centre backs. We were out numbered in the middle of park

They’re too slow to press properly, he should’ve been on Lundstrum all day. Poor tactics and team selection. 

3 hours ago, McCrae said:

I agree, we have had a very good season and are improving.

Yes and he has signed 3 very good players

Another 3-4 similar quality and remove 5-6 

5jambo1
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

They’re too slow to press properly, he should’ve been on Lundstrum all day. Poor tactics and team selection. 

yeah I agree. Said on another thread that we kind of half pressed. The front four of shanks, Grant, Forrest and Vargas pressed their back 4, but the rest of the team were not pushed up high enough. This gave them too much space as we were too deep and we had Beni and devlin in there to cover a massive space. Frustrating as it was obvious after the first ten mins what was happening and the pattern continued all game. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

yeah I agree. Said on another thread that we kind of half pressed. The front four of shanks, Grant, Forrest and Vargas pressed their back 4, but the rest of the team were not pushed up high enough. This gave them too much space as we were too deep and we had Beni and devlin in there to cover a massive space. Frustrating as it was obvious after the first ten mins what was happening and the pattern continued all game. 

Spot on. Our pressing leaves a lot to be desired and those four really shouldn’t have started where they did today.
One more chance to get the tactics etc right after 5 attempts that have seen us lose 13 goals and scored 2 this season. 

The big positive was that with the exception of the final third, we matched Rangers in every department and kept them relatively quiet most of the match. Sadly, the final third is where games are won and lost. I've bought into Naismith's practices wholly, but I'm convinced his ideas are too good for this squad. We've got a long road ahead of us still but there will be good at the end of it. I 100% trust the manager.

132goals1958

Positives - Great breakfast in the Gorgie Suite. Only managed a couple of beers and in Hampdump an hour early. I’m really beginning to detest that place now. Must be the least atmospheric sports stadium hosting big games anywhere in the world.Whilst I accept at my stage of life my eyes aren’t what they used to be it seems a 50 pence bus run from where I was standing even to the halfway line. How we ever managed to entertain Euro games at that tip is beyond me. Definitely missed the boat today 

Bunny Munro
25 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Can we please not talk about reaching cup semis as some kind of  achievement. It's totally random and this season - like many others - was a waste of time in that regard. 

A bigger achievement than the quarters. 

A bigger achievement than the round of 16. 

We are the third best team in the country. Anything more than a semi is overachieving unless Celtic and Rangers are drawn together.

Edited by Bunny Munro

6 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

We are the third best team in the country. Anything more than a semi is overachieving unless Celtic and Rangers are drawn together.

Bingo. 

Watt-Zeefuik
55 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

50 times our wage budget? Get a grip ffs. About 4 or 5, like ours over Livingston or St Johnstone. 

Eh? Who TF knows what it is exactly but salarysport.com estimates us at £4.4m and Rangers at £26m, roughly a 6x factor. (I have to think 50x was hyperbole?)  But Livi are at £1.3m, a 3x factor from us.

To get a club that is at a similar multiple to us as we are to Rangers, you have to go all the way to Queen of the South.

132goals1958
15 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

To be fair overcoming The Spartans, Airdrie and Morton was pretty straightforward 

Watt-Zeefuik
19 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Positives - Great breakfast in the Gorgie Suite. Only managed a couple of beers and in Hampdump an hour early. I’m really beginning to detest that place now. Must be the least atmospheric sports stadium hosting big games anywhere in the world.Whilst I accept at my stage of life my eyes aren’t what they used to be it seems a 50 pence bus run from where I was standing even to the halfway line. How we ever managed to entertain Euro games at that tip is beyond me. Definitely missed the boat today 

Gotta agree, in its current configuration it's a totally pointless stadium.

Bazzas right boot

Jkb has been a hoot tonight. 

46 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

This is a very simple, but eloquent, summary of our entire campaign I think. Very good, but clear improvement required in the squad which tells me things can only get better.

Bunny Munro
3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

To be fair overcoming The Spartans, Airdrie and Morton was pretty straightforward 

Oh I agree, I say in my original post that it's been a good season 'on paper' for that reason, and also the total basket case Aberdeen turned out to be making 3rd place relatively straightforward.

periodictabledancer
37 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

But performed worse than Ross County or Dundee. 

Not just in terms of outcomes, but in actual performance.

Anybody watching that today and thinking we are genuinely competitive is living in a fantasy world. 

Bunny Munro
5 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Anybody watching that today and thinking we are genuinely competitive is living in a fantasy world. 

I'm not even sure what your point is now.

We weren't good enough today. I said that straight out the gate.

That doesn't change the fact that, over the season, this should be seen as a good year for us. It shouldn't be seen as our ceiling, we should look to improve upon it, but it has been a positive season overall.

Watt-Zeefuik
16 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Competitive with whom? Are you seriously suggesting that County and Dundee are better than us based on this past week alone?

We were fully a match for Rangers between the boxes. Our striking let us down and we made two bad errors. Far better viewing than many games against the OF.

periodictabledancer
Just now, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Competitive with whom? Are you seriously suggesting that County and Dundee are better than us based on this past week alone?

We were fully a match for Rangers between the boxes. Our striking let us down and we made two bad errors. Far better viewing than many games against the OF.

What I said is quite clear : we're not competitiive, you've  contorted it into something else. 

Can't defend, can't score (Shanks apart) , consistently shown we are poor starters - and still not fixed and it's been a problem all season long.  As for the tactics.....

"Far better" though... 

Polonia Gorgie

Not much to be positive about today, but I'm going to be positive about the clubs progression over the past few seasons. I'm certain 3rd place is in the bag, with that we've got a season of European football to look forward to. I'm delighted how quick were to sign Dhanda Spittal and Penrice. For next season can we get closer to the uglies? Even by 5 points. Can we give bigger clubs in Europe a decent game? Can we win a cup? Can we keep Shanks?

AD 1874
5 hours ago, Tour22 said:

Only positive is that we don't need to go back to play celtic and get pumped.

This

Firefox
4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Reading JKB tonight you’d be forgiven for thinking Rangers stuck 5 past us and Craig Gordon kept it below 10. 

We matched them for large parts of the game, but we missed a crucial chance at 1-0 and for some reason the likes of Vargas thought walking the ball into the net was the best idea as opposed to having a shot.

The 2nd goal in the game was going to be decisive and unfortunately a mistake in the middle of the park cost us. Had we got it I think we’d have pushed on for the win.

The Rangers end was getting very edgy during the 2nd half they sensed a Hearts equaliser, their celebration at the 2nd was one of sheer relief.

Naismith is building something good at the club and we should trust him to get it right, he’s not done much wrong so far. We just need a few more bits of quality around the team and we might see us winning more of these games.

In a nutshell :spoton:

Tynecastle Valhalla

The fans (19,500 of them).

The players did not do enough in any sense.

Being patient was not the answer.

Nelly Terraces

Positives SHOULD be:

Management now understanding its probably not the best idea to let the opposition have acres of space & lots of time on the ball if you want to beat them. 

Having your own team play like sloths on sleeping tablets is also not really gonna have the desired effect to get a win.

They've noticed that the following players aren't good enough: Atkinson, Rowles, Vargas, Oda, Tarawa, Forrest. 

Cheers!

AC Mallin_51

Positives are Aberdeen aren’t in the final. I’d feel very uneasy because they always turn up against Rangers 

jamboozy

The pre match sesh in the International Bar was good.😊🍺🍺🍺

One five
34 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Positives are Aberdeen aren’t in the final. I’d feel very uneasy because they always turn up against Rangers 

Yip, unlike us, agreed mate.

gregzy2k7

It was a poor performance and dissapointing,

But,

I think overall, putting that aside yesterday, we have had a good season, we have made progress by winning alot of away matches and pretty much have finished 3rd barring a disaster run and killie becoming invincible, highly unlikely imo.

So when you look at it,

3rd place, plus two semi finals is not a bad return for Naismiths first full season as a manager, 

The most important thing for me is that we build on this for next season, we are still around 5 real quality signings on top of what we have already away from getting over the hurdle of winning a trophy and getting closer to the OF a bit more imo, we need to address this next season and also please we really need to improve our performances and results specifically against Rangers.

ToadKiller Dog

The positive ,when do eventually beat them at Hampden, hopefully while I'm still around to attend ,it will be fecking glorious. 

1971fozzy

Loads of positives. 
I see the usual suspects are poisoning a positive thread though. 

12 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We played well for large parts and controlled  parts of the game.

We pressed well at times, won the ball high up and had several good opportunities. 

Devlin grew into the game and Beni was very good.

We also recovered well from a really poor goal,  really early. In the past I've seen that early goal turn in 2/3/4 goals quickly IN Glasgow, that was never going to happen today.

Ofc, that doesn't offset the actually loss of the shitty early goal.

Decision making in the final 3rd was poor today,  I'll welcome Dhanda and hopefully another midfielder in the summer.

You were watching a different game from me then!

If Beni wasn't constantly passing backwards, then he was falling over

Edited by BRY
was => wasn't

boag1874

Good OP. We absolutely competed better than our last 3 hampden games v them where we just sat waiting on a goal against us to come.

This is a good team having a good season, our record reflects that. It isn’t the finished article though, we’ve all seen that this season, theres higher levels it can move up into with a bit more experience for the younger players and a bit of additional quality added in the summer.

Cup semi final defeats hurt but we shouldn’t lose sight of the bigger picture 

Chuck Berry

Ignore the usual suspects on here who enjoy negativity.  We didn't perform that bad yesterday, we're strolling third, two Cup semis and Euro group stage football on the horizon. Let's clinch it on Saturday.

RustyRightPeg
18 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Ignore the usual suspects on here who enjoy negativity.  We didn't perform that bad yesterday, we're strolling third, two Cup semis and Euro group stage football on the horizon. Let's clinch it on Saturday.

Two piss poor goals conceded and Butland made one save. If that’s your idea of not bad then sadly standards are slipping. 

Rowles got us going after 5 minutes shitting out of a tackle he was favourite for. I was going to say 50/50 but it’s an 80/20 in his favour. The rangers play is on the ground already and still managed to get up and dribble away with the ball. Embarrassing. 

Been a long season, with an incredible unbeaten run right through the middle of it. 

the only positive I take from yesterday is that Naismith will see certain individuals are not up to it and will move them on in the summer. 

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Two piss poor goals conceded and Butland made one save. If that’s your idea of not bad then sadly standards are slipping. 

Rowles got us going after 5 minutes shitting out of a tackle he was favourite for. I was going to say 50/50 but it’s an 80/20 in his favour. The rangers play is on the ground already and still managed to get up and dribble away with the ball. Embarrassing. 

Been a long season, with an incredible unbeaten run right through the middle of it. 

the only positive I take from yesterday is that Naismith will see certain individuals are not up to it and will move them on in the summer. 

Not just rowles. About 5 defenders fannying about watching at both goals.  If that was an u12 team defending theyd be embarrased. Ours are meant to be professional footballers.  Beni gave up ( not for the first time) for the 2nd goal. He couldnt even be bothered to move.

Chuck Berry
21 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Seriously, there's umpteen other threads to drag the club and players down, but not this one.

Gundermann
14 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

No positives. We didn’t lay a glove on them, again. 

In terms of the season as a whole - excellent.

2 wins against Celtic doesn't come along very often and our away form has improved no end.

Yesterday and in games against Sevco, I don't see any positives. The 1-2 game at Ibrox was perhaps the best and we'd probably have come away with 3 points but for Haring's stupidity in the box. Yesterday was awful. Couldn't cross, couldn't pass, couldn't defend and couldn't score.

Edited by Gundermann

HopeDiouf
9 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Seriously, there's umpteen other threads to drag the club and players down, but not this one.

The ones whove dragged the club and players down are the players.  The fans turned up. The team did not.

Ian Black 8
14 hours ago, Opinionated Jambo said:

Ok, first things first. Yes, we have had a unbelievable season giving the fact it’s Naismith’s first full season in charge and we have finished 3rd (job is as good as done) and got to two semi-finals. At the start of the season the majority of us would’ve bit the hand of someone for that. It’s a successful season overall in my opinion.

However, today for example was totally unacceptable. We didn’t really lay a glove on Rangers at all. This was the best time to actually have a go at a fairly vulnerable Rangers team today, the pressure was really on them giving their last two results. Defensively both Rangers and Celtic are horrific. As we have seen in recent weeks, if your brave and get at them they don’t like at and don’t cope very well. Today we didn’t do that at all and that was very disappointing - baring in mind we are the third best team in the league. 

We didn’t go for it today and we paid the price.

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 agree with all u said there pal ur right the season has been 1 to remember. Double against Celtic.. 3rd place.. 2 semi-finals but as u said Rangers very vulnerable the now even I expected them 2 start fast in that situation u have got to run at their defenders in numbers we just didn’t lay a glove on them at all we failed to do what Ross County n even Dundee done attack the wings n get balls into their box but Shanks was unlucky with his header but Oda has got to score in the box near the end if he hit a corner it’s a goal. Defo need a forcer in the midfield that will bully people n not be bullied. Cammy does put himself about well but a also think we needed someone to be on Lundstram or Cantwell the whole game and get close n ugly with them

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Usual suspect? I’ve been more positive than most about this season. 

Season as a whole - very positive. 

Yesterday - none. 

The club did their part, as did we. We turned up. 9 or 10 of the 16 players who took the field did not turn up. There were no positives about yesterday, we made Butland make one save. If you’re happy with that then I don’t know what you feel success is? Go out and lose 4-0 whilst having a go, I don’t care. Lose 2-0 and have no talking points other than a token chance at 2-0 down that I could’ve farted harder towards the goal, nah not for me. 

No mistake about it Naismith learned more about that squad, and who needs to go. Yes he said we competed to the cameras and the microphones, behind closed doors though he’ll have dug a few out. 

AC Mallin_51

I did enjoy the moment where rangers fans started chanting “Steven Naismith he’s a W️” and our end responded with the He’s Electric song. Even though we were all very disappointed with how things were panning out I loved the deceleration of appreciation towards Naisy from our fans. Especially after how much stick he got in the past (from myself included). I’m really excited/optimistic with Naismith at the helm. Yesterday we lacked that cutting edge mentality but it can’t take away from having the mentality to find last minute winners at Easter Road, going to Parkhead and winning. Coming from 2 goals down in Europe to win a tie, the comeback wins v Dundee, the comeback win v Livi. The countless records broken with away wins and winning streaks. If there’s a positive to take it’s the fact we’ve got an exciting young manager in the dugout 

Watt-Zeefuik
13 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

What I said is quite clear : we're not competitiive, you've  contorted it into something else. 

Can't defend, can't score (Shanks apart) , consistently shown we are poor starters - and still not fixed and it's been a problem all season long.  As for the tactics.....

"Far better" though... 

Being "competitive" isn't some neutral objective thing. To take it to the extreme, we're in no way competitive to the EPL but we're much more than competitive to the Lowland League.

We are clearly the third best team in Scotland. In the SPFL Prem, we are competitive. We have had good results against Celtic and in the middle of the pitch did fine against Rangers yesterday. Saying otherwise is silly.

15 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

We've done that multiple times this season, Ross County, St Mirren, Livi... its not good enough. I think its something that requires a bit of investigative work. The players aren't going out after the pre-match work/ team talk and giving it their best in the first half. That isn't good enough.

Fast becoming a running joke that theres little point watching the first half anymore. 

Sarah O

Positives were booing GSTK and Rule Britannia.