Us and Hibs.....

No Idle Talk

No Idle Talk

I'm sitting watching vids of when we won cups and when they won cups(don't ask me why, I just do it). They do their Sunshine on Leith thing and I ain't gonna lie, if you were a Hibs fan, it's an emotional thing I suppose. When we win we sing the Hearts song and it's great.

It just feels like when they win a trophy the TV and the papers get more enjoyment out of that than when we win something. Am I being paranoid or does anyone else think the same?

I don't get it. Corbett made a great point on this week's TIMS podcast. Hibs are a little bit media darlings. At the start of every season you get pundits praising them up and touting them to finish third in the league. Its totally unjustified. They are barely a top six team. Not often you hear folk on TV or radio talking us up. Allan Preston will, Mikey Stewart on occasion, but the non Edinburgh people will talk Hibs up more than Hearts. I don't get it?

What's it all about?

No Idle Talk
Posted (edited)

Sitting watching the 2012 semi. In most situations I would think Hibs fans would rather play us in the Scottish Cup final than play Celtic. But I bet when Craig Beattie scored that penalty they all sat in front of their tellys and thought 'aw naw. We are going to lose to them in the final!' And that did.

Edited by No Idle Talk

Ricardo Quaresma

Underdog syndrome, supporting them in any way

They do seem to get kudos for F all :lol:

It can't be Romanov calling them monkeys, still, surely 🤔

No Idle Talk
1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Underdog syndrome, supporting them in any way

They do seem to get kudos for F all :lol:

It can't be Romanov calling them monkeys, still, surely 🤔

It's mental. A lot of professionally paid people think Hibs play better football than Hearts. These people just are not watching what is going on. But it's an accepted wisdom that Hibs play better football than Hearts. Crazy.

luckyBatistuta

Just trying to talk up the smaller club from the bottom half of the table. They all know we’re the 3rd biggest, so no need to. 

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

It's mental. A lot of professionally paid people think Hibs play better football than Hearts. These people just are not watching what is going on. But it's an accepted wisdom that Hibs play better football than Hearts. Crazy.

Maybe press think the score is 2-1 to them

famous 5, turnbull's tornadoes Vs Terrible Trio?

George Best added too?

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just trying to talk up the smaller club from the bottom half of the table. They all know we’re the 3rd biggest, so no need to. 

Would they say that, or admit it, though? 🙂

No Idle Talk
Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Maybe press think the score is 2-1 to them

famous 5, turnbull's tornadoes Vs Terrible Trio?

George Best added too?

Could be right.

Mickey Weir over John Colquhoun.

Leigh Griffiths over John Robertson.

Alan Rough over Craig Gordon.

Keith Wright over Lawrence Shankland.

The evidence is damning. Dick of a guy but the only Hibs player I ever recall seeing and wishing he played for Hearts was probably John Collins. He was a class player, whatever we all thought of him. Can't think of any other Hibs player I ever wanted or was jealous of. But they are still better than us. Obviously.

Ricardo Quaresma
2 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Could be right.

The evidence is damning. Dick of a guy but the only Hibs player I ever recall seeing and wishing he played for Hearts was probably John Collins. He was a class player, whatever we all thought of him. Can't think of any other Hibs player I ever wanted or was jealous of. But they are still better than us. Obviously.

Well, that's me sold :rofl:

No Idle Talk
Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Well, that's me sold :rofl:

Facts mate. 🤣

Herbert.

**** them. 

I like when they get talked up and they get hyped up for the new season because we know how it ends, I hope they win the last few games because Monty will become pep again until xmas, The pocket change their Billionaire is giving them is going to turn them into Man City. Hibs get talked up because they aint a threat to the OF and don't have that potential unless serious money is pumped into them which will never happen. We have underachived due to failings at the top of the club but that looks like it has been adressed and we are moving forward on the park now, We goong to win the cup, finish 3rd and play group stage football. The media csn ram that up their holes.

kingantti1874

It as simple as there are lots of Celtic / Hibs minded people at every level in the media. 

1971fozzy

The media etc usually side with the underdog , or a wee team.

nothing new and  the actual state of Michael Stewart because of it is very amusing. 
they are bottom 6 fodder and now a D-E team in some yanks pyramid nonsense, and managed by an idiot.

Ricardo Quaresma
6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

The media etc usually side with the underdog , or a wee team.

nothing new and  the actual state of Michael Stewart because of it is very amusing. 
they are bottom 6 fodder and now a D-E team in some yanks pyramid nonsense, and managed by an idiot.

... and run by ben kens-****all :smuggy:

been here before
4 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Some folk think about them too much. 

Scottish Cup semi final day against a beatable Hun team, nearly 29k Hearts fans heading through, c25k raised in a few days to get folk through who may not have made it otherwise, 3rd all but sewn up, Euro group atages on the horizin and a feel good factor round the club not seen for years...

...and folk are up watching videos of Hibs winning the cup?

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Scottish Cup semi final day against a beatable Hun team, nearly 29k Hearts fans heading through, c25k raised in a few days to get folk through who may not have made it otherwise, 3rd all but sewn up, Euro group atages on the horizin and a feel good factor round the club not seen for years...

29k?

been here before
3 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

29k?

Fat fingers, wee phone keyboard and thinking about that first pint in an hour and a half.

43 minutes ago, been here before said:

Fat fingers, wee phone keyboard and thinking about that first pint in an hour and a half.

😄🥃👍🍺

It's like we get called big physical Hearts and they apparently play wonderful football,I must've missed it as any time I see Hibs they are normally gash 🤷 as for big physical Hearts I'd been stunned if we weren't one of the smallest teams in league not got many guys over 6ft these days 

Benny Klack
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

It as simple as there are lots of Celtic / Hibs minded people at every level in the media. 

Are you meaning supporters of these clubs or something else….

4 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I'm sitting watching vids of when we won cups and when they won cups(don't ask me why, I just do it). They do their Sunshine on Leith thing and I ain't gonna lie, if you were a Hibs fan, it's an emotional thing I suppose. When we win we sing the Hearts song and it's great.

It just feels like when they win a trophy the TV and the papers get more enjoyment out of that than when we win something. Am I being paranoid or does anyone else think the same?

I don't get it. Corbett made a great point on this week's TIMS podcast. Hibs are a little bit media darlings. At the start of every season you get pundits praising them up and touting them to finish third in the league. Its totally unjustified. They are barely a top six team. Not often you hear folk on TV or radio talking us up. Allan Preston will, Mikey Stewart on occasion, but the non Edinburgh people will talk Hibs up more than Hearts. I don't get it?

What's it all about?

Another one of my unpopular opinions :

Sunshine on Leith is a shite melancholy pile of steaming horse dung , and it is about as inspiring as Tunnocks Teacake Cup

6 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Are you meaning supporters of these clubs or something else….

Whether we like to admit it or not , a great many football fans in Scotland lean towards Celtic or Rangers . Many Hibs and Aberdeen fans lean towards Celtic ( or maybe away from Rangers is more accurate for some ) and we have a few who lean more towards Rangers ( or away from Celtic perhaps ) it is just a sad fact of a footballing nation where two teams have dominated so much and where they have divisive political and or religious undertones so openly on display 

I definitely recognise some Celtic minded supporters who do not support Celtic and the same applies to the other lot 

Edited by Sooks

Daveandal
4 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Accepted wisdom is a good phrase.

Throughout my life time Hearts have always been called an industrial team, big and physical, play long ball etc. Now at times we have been but most of the time we haven't but its still the mantra used. You get pundits just saying stuff because that's the Accepted Wisdom.

like last season...We're good at set pieces when Actually we couldn't score from them and let in from free kicks and corners constantly.

Hibs are seen as free flowing attacking football gods with warrior poets as supporters.... the truth is rather different.

Daveandal
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Whether we like to admit it or not , a great many football fans in Scotland lean towards. Celtic or Rangers . Many Hibs and A redeem fans lean towards Celtic ( or maybe away from Rangers is more accurate for some ) and we have a few who lean more towards Rangers ( or away from Celtic perhaps ) it is just a sad fact of a footballing nation where two teams have dominated so much and where they have divisive political and or religious undertones so openly on display 

I definitely recognise some Celtic minded supporters who do not support Celtic and the same applies to the other lot 

I think this happens more in the West than East... alot of Celtic fans see Hibs are their 2nd team.

Unfortunately we and Hibs do have the nutter element that think we have links with Rangers and Celtic but they are a minority thankfully and are often openly ridiculed these days.

Just now, Daveandal said:

I think this happens more in the West than East... alot of Celtic fans see Hibs are their 2nd team.

Unfortunately we and Hibs do have the nutter element that think we have links with Rangers and Celtic but they are a minority thankfully and are often openly ridiculed these days.

Yeah fair summary

Benny Klack
7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Whether we like to admit it or not , a great many football fans in Scotland lean towards Celtic or Rangers . Many Hibs and Aberdeen fans lean towards Celtic ( or maybe away from Rangers is more accurate for some ) and we have a few who lean more towards Rangers ( or away from Celtic perhaps ) it is just a sad fact of a footballing nation where two teams have dominated so much and where they have divisive political and or religious undertones so openly on display 

Sorry, but in your last paragraph when you say “Celtic minded” do you just mean Catholic? 

1 minute ago, Benny Klack said:

Sorry, but in your last paragraph when you say “Celtic minded” do you just mean Catholic? 

No I absolutely do not mean that . The clue is in the parts in brackets . Off the top of my head Rob McLean is a Celtic minded pundit who does not support Celtic . No idea or ****s to give what faith he belongs to though 

hereford_hearts
23 minutes ago, rory78 said:

It's like we get called big physical Hearts and they apparently play wonderful football,I must've missed it as any time I see Hibs they are normally gash 🤷 as for big physical Hearts I'd been stunned if we weren't one of the smallest teams in league not got many guys over 6ft these days 

If Devlin's goal last weekend doesn't show which team in the capital plays flair football, then I give up🤣

Silvery_Moon
1 hour ago, been here before said:

:rofl::spoton: (apart from the 29k part)

jamboozy

My personal opinion is that, they(the pundits etc) make hibs their darlings because there’s no threat from them to the status quo. We, on the other hand are upstarts, who are getting more powerful with each passing season, they don’t like this as @Sooks says,  Regardless of their individual religion they favour one side of the OF over the other, probably to fuel debate. 

Edited by jamboozy

Pasquale for King

They accept their place, they have no ambition or want to challenge the uglies and the status quo of Scottish football.
We have attempted, or at least spoke about, bridging the gap with the uglies since Mercer, so they naturally have a different view of us and a misty eyed belief that Hibs play great football. 

After derbys their fans usually talk about we have a better and winning mentality compared to them and would love their team to emulate us. 

Lone Striker
44 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Sunshine on Leith is a shite melancholy pile of steaming horse dung , and it is about as inspiring as Tunnocks Teacake Cup

It is, yes.  But the line "Ma heart was broken .....sorrow....sorrow...sorrow"   is wonderfully appropriate for followers of Edinburgh's "flair" team. 😃

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

It is, yes.  But the line "Ma heart was broken .....sorrow....sorrow...sorrow"   is wonderfully appropriate for followers of Edinburgh's "flair" team. 😃

Indeed . A very apt song that is as shite and depressing as the club it was written for 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, been here before said:

starting late 😃

superjack
5 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Could be right.

Andy goram, rhe only other 1 of their players from my Time I would have taken.

jambostuart

It's nothing new. I mind an EEN article when we won 4-0 in our opening home match of 2005 against Hibs, which was something along the lines of "How did Hibs youngsters get on against Hearts imports?" 

Not only did was the average age of our squad younger, there were more domestic players for Hearts in that squad than Hibs....

24 minutes ago, superjack said:

In my >50 years following the Famous he's the only player I'd take from them. That's how utterly shite they really are. 

Daveandal
14 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

It's nothing new. I mind an EEN article when we won 4-0 in our opening home match of 2005 against Hibs, which was something along the lines of "How did Hibs youngsters get on against Hearts imports?" 

Not only did was the average age of our squad younger, there were more domestic players for Hearts in that squad than Hibs....

The age thing is still bring done. Our squad is unbelievablely young. Not heard a single pundit mention this.

No Idle Talk
3 hours ago, Daveandal said:

That thing certainly does exist. Probably because they look at us and see us as "wee Huns" so they adopt a soft spot for our rivals. Similarly, I have met a few Rangers fans in boozers and when they ask what team I support, and I say Hearts, they give you "aw Hearts are awrite. Ah dinnae mind Hearts". I find it a bit patronising. It's kinda like their way of saying "you're like us", which I completely reject. 

No Idle Talk
3 hours ago, rory78 said:

We do have a physically quite wee team at the moment. As opposed to Hibs who are just THE wee team.

Mikey1874

Meantime the media in England side in the same sort of way with Liverpool. Maybe some similarities. Some romantic notion. 

August Landmesser
2 hours ago, superjack said:

Even then, we had Henry Henry at the time, so we didn't even need a keeper. Goram would've been fine in the reserves though 

Mikey1874
1 minute ago, tcjambo said:

Sunshine on Leith is a horrible dirge, as is everything by the Speccy twins.

Only sing when they're winning.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Agreed

8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

The media is choc-full of lazy, cliche-ridden journalists who do nothing more than recycle the same myths and comments. Sports journalism is even more lazy with a dash of cheerleading chucked in. 

The Hibs flair thing was never anything other than a comfort blanket, perpetuated in latter times by John Collins and Tony Mowbray who couldn't otherwise understand why we continually beat them. 

Then picked up by pseudo-intellectuals like Pat Nevin and there you go, "established" fact about Hibs even if it is way, way off the mark to be shared forever more by lazy commentators and journos.