Big name/famous players for us

Gordons left glove

Gordons left glove

Who would we say are some of the most famous players we've had or have gone on to be famous? For example James Madison with Aberdeen, George best from the vermin, Ramsey from sevco. 

queensferryjambo
5 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

Who would we say are some of the most famous players we've had or have gone on to be famous? For example James Madison with Aberdeen, George best from the vermin, Ramsey from sevco. 

Depends on your definition of what is famous I suppose. 

David Weir and Gary Naismith both played a solid 7 or 8 seasons in the English Premier league. 

The most modern must be Aaron Hickey playing in Serie A and now the English Premier league. Callum Paterson was in the top flight in England as well.

George Best and Aaron Ramsay didn't go on and become famous at Hibs and Rangers they effectively ended their careers there.

Gordons left glove
5 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Depends on your definition of what is famous I suppose. 

David Weir and Gary Naismith both played a solid 7 or 8 seasons in the English Premier league. 

The most modern must be Aaron Hickey playing in Serie A and now the English Premier league. Callum Paterson was in the top flight in England as well.

George Best and Aaron Ramsay didn't go on and become famous at Hibs and Rangers they effectively ended their careers there.

Went on to be/used to be

Daveandal
32 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Dave McKay every day of the week 

This is the correct answer.

tcjambo

Vincent Guerin, Stephane Paille, Willie Johnston, Mo Johnstone, Glen Whelan, Steven Naismith.Pasquale Bruno.....

Edited by tcjambo

queensferryjambo
7 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

Went on to be/used to be

I would also say that Rangers would pretty much have had over 100 players easily more famous than Aaron Ramsay and Aberdeen have also had an awful lot of players much more famous than James Madison.

Truthfully though Hibs haven't had a bigger name than George Best he was such a legend in his day. 

As for other people answers regarding Kevin Keegan, Gavin Hatings, etc 

For younger supporters those guys played for Hearts in Testimonial matches. Keegan was in Alex MacDonald's testimonial, Hastings was Dave McPherson's testimonial and let's not forget Joe Jordan played and scored twice in Gary Mackay's Testimonial match. 

p158.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.35b4c2a7a25e1f614238e0418e4e6de2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.86302efe9e46ff8a980504ebcc9f00d0.jpeg

queensferryjambo
37 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Dave McKay every day of the week 

4 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

This is the correct answer.

It's not really the correct answer when you can't spell Dave Mackay's name correctly though is it ;) 

BTW joking aside the obvious choice is Dave Mackay his success in his football is quite incredible.

David Craig Mackay Collection of Photo Prints and GiftsDave Mackay dead: Ex-Tottenham striker Gary Lineker and Stan Collymore  among those to pay tribute to former Spurs captain | The Independent | The  IndependentDave Mackay tributes led by Sir Alex Ferguson as former Man Utd boss says:  'He was hard. One of the hardest of all time' | Daily Mail Online

Gorgierools
8 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

It's not really the correct answer when you can't spell Dave Mackay's name correctly though is it ;) 

BTW joking aside the obvious choice is Dave Mackay his success in his football is quite incredible.

David Craig Mackay Collection of Photo Prints and GiftsDave Mackay dead: Ex-Tottenham striker Gary Lineker and Stan Collymore  among those to pay tribute to former Spurs captain | The Independent | The  IndependentDave Mackay tributes led by Sir Alex Ferguson as former Man Utd boss says:  'He was hard. One of the hardest of all time' | Daily Mail Online

My bad😔

queensferryjambo
1 minute ago, Gorgierools said:

My bad😔

Just pulling your leg mate. It's easy done :) 

58 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

Bobby Walker

Alex Young

Dave MacKay

Pasquale Bruno

Vincent Guerin

Stephane Paie

Edgaras Jankauskas

Takis Fyssas

Tsiolis

are probably the ones that I would say were famous beyond Scotland 

queensferryjambo
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Bobby Walker

Alex Young

Dave MacKay

Pasquale Bruno

Vincent Guerin

Stephane Paie

Edgaras Jankauskas

Takis Fyssas

Tsiolis

are probably the ones that I would say were famous beyond Scotland 

Stefano Salvatori and Ricardo Fuller probably fall into that category as well.

Stefano Salvatori - Memorial Plaque unveiled (title updated) - Page 5 - The  Terrace - Jambos Kickback

image.jpeg.22afc20d17a35c98da730a38f5cbde9e.jpeg

luckyBatistuta

image.thumb.jpeg.0ddddbe39119ddf6943d8fcbac9f727a.jpeg

but the honest answer is…

Dave Mackay

Just now, queensferryjambo said:

Stefano Salvatori and Ricardo Fuller probably fall into that category as well.

Stefano Salvatori - Memorial Plaque unveiled (title updated) - Page 5 - The  Terrace - Jambos Kickback

image.jpeg.22afc20d17a35c98da730a38f5cbde9e.jpeg

Yeah would agree with that . Bobby Walker probably the top dog but most would never have heard of him now 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Craig Thomson 

😬

:rofl:

Brilliant!

queensferryjambo
7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah would agree with that . Bobby Walker probably the top dog but most would never have heard of him now 

Yes quite an incredible career.

One thing I think I read but may be mistaken was he is the only player to ever get a testimonial match for playing International football for Scotland. Not sure how true that is.

3 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Yes quite an incredible career.

One thing I think I read but may be mistaken was he is the only player to ever get a testimonial match for playing International football for Scotland. Not sure how true that is.

Did not know that . Hope it is true 

Gorgie_Rules

Not really had anyone widely known in European football in modern times.

Anyone who follows the English Premier League would know Naismith and Snodgrass. Jankauskas and Fyssas to an extent but mostly in the countries they are from and played in.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

ollie2004
5 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Bobby Walker. 

Tommy Walker

ShortmanRossco
1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

Vincent Guerin, Stephane Paille, Willie Johnston, Mo Johnstone, Glen Whelan, Steven Naismith.Pasquale Bruno.....

Probably true but he can still **** off.

His complete lack of effort still boils my piss to this day.

Jim_Duncan

Juan José Carricondo Pérez

That's a big name, loadsa letters.

11 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Not really had anyone widely known in European football in modern times.

Anyone who follows the English Premier League would know Naismith and Snodgrass. Jankauskas and Fyssas to an extent but mostly in the countries they are from and played in.

Depends how you define modern times really . Bruno , Guerin , Tsioils , Fuller , Pinilla , Fyssas are all well known 

Percival King

4 players who were in the team that won the UEFA Cup Winners Cup in 1972 played for us (and 2 of them also managed or co-managed us), another managed us........and the captain supported Hearts. Alex Macdonald, Sandy Jardine, Willie Johnston, Alfie Conn, Tommy McLean and John Greig 

queensferryjambo
1 minute ago, Percival King said:

4 players who were in the team that won the UEFA Cup Winners Cup in 1972 played for us (and 2 of them also managed or co-managed us), another managed us........and the captain supported Hearts. Alex Macdonald, Sandy Jardine, Willie Johnston, Alfie Conn, Tommy McLean and John Greig 

As mad as it sounds because he was so awful for Hearts, Andy Watson also has a European Cup Winners Cup medal in his collection. He was an unused sub, he also won a few other medals at Aberdeen. 

Willie Wallace also spent 5 seasons at Hearts before leaving and winning the European Cup with Celtic.  

ShedBoy

Snodgrass.

Love him or hate him.

An English Premier League footballer.

28 caps for Scotland.

been here before
4 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Snodgrass.

Love him or hate him.

An English Premier League footballer.

28 caps for Scotland.

Matt Elliot was an English Premier League footballer, won 18 caps and he was shite.

Those 2 things do not a great player make.

ScottieMac17

Takis Fysass, Jankuskas and Pinilla off the top of my head

ShedBoy
1 minute ago, been here before said:

Matt Elliot was an English Premier League footballer, won 18 caps and he was shite.

Those 2 things do not a great player make.

I don’t disagree, but how do we define the OPs question?

It’s all relative. I didn’t rate Zal at all at first, but he has hero status in my hoose.

ShedBoy
4 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Takis Fysass, Jankuskas and Pinilla off the top of my head

Fysass was off the scale.

Absolutely immaculate professional.

What a treat for us he was.

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, ollie2004 said:

Tommy Walker

Close but Bobby was an enigma. He was deemed to have invented dribbling (Walkerism). 

The King of Norway made a trip especially to watch Bobby. 

Hearts most famous player for me, and he loved a goal against the wee team😀

Lambert Simnel
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Juan José Carricondo Pérez

That's a big name, loadsa letters.

True. And "that useless b*stard Joel Castro Pereira" is pretty lengthy as well. 

Real answer is Mackay.

Edited by Lambert Simnel
Real answer

jamboinglasgow

Dave Mackay might be the only Hearts player to have been portrayed in a movie (The Damned United.)

Alex Young though is the only Hearts player to have a TV play named after his nickname (the Ken Loach docu-drama, The Golden Vision.)

Interestingly enough Alex Young has his own page on IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3674127/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

edit: actually Dave Mackay has one as well, where credits are match of the day, a tribute to Brian Clough and a 1965 episode of the New London Palladium show.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

DG_HMFC
4 hours ago, vlad on the tyne said:

Takis or janny?

Definitely. 

International tournament winner, and a Champions League winner.

jimbojambo
4 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Close but Bobby was an enigma. He was deemed to have invented dribbling (Walkerism). 

The King of Norway made a trip especially to watch Bobby. 

Hearts most famous player for me, and he loved a goal against the wee team😀

I saw the play at Tynecastle last festival and sounds like he was regarded as the greatest player in the world by many including winning the Cup abd being man of the match. Much made made of his drinking after football and how he ended up living in a flat in lowly...... 

Stockbridge of all places. Apparently his funeral procession was well attended and massive crowds lined up to pay their respects. 

2 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

I saw the play at Tynecastle last festival and sounds like he was regarded as the greatest player in the world by many including winning the Cup abd being man of the match. Much made made of his drinking after football and how he ended up living in a flat in lowly...... 

Stockbridge of all places. Apparently his funeral procession was well attended and massive crowds lined up to pay their respects. 

My biological father was brought up in the Stockbridge colonies in the fifties . They were pretty poor 

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Gordons left glove said:

Assume you mean Gordon Ramsay? 😉 

Dave Mackay and Alex Young. 

Based on the fees paid for them by Spurs and Everton, they would both be 50-80 million pound transfers today.

theflagman

Rudi won the European u21 championships  ,Djoum African cup of Nations. 

been here before
59 minutes ago, Sydney said:

Dave Mackay and Alex Young. 

Based on the fees paid for them by Spurs and Everton, they would both be 50-80 million pound transfers today.

Alex Young went to Everton in 1960 along with George Thomson with for 55k which is worth about £1.7m today.

MacKays £32k transfer to Spurs in April 1959 is the equivalent £ 1,005,118

Shaggy2

It’s mad to think that Dave Mackay and Alex Young are that famous. Dave’s in-laws were from Whitecraig and his bro-in-law married a Panner (all Hibs/Celtic fans btw😄) so by these degrees I met him and chatted with him a couple of times. So unassuming, you’d genuinely never meet a nicer guy. I hear Alex Young was the same.