Big name/famous players for us

Gordons left glove

Polonia Gorgie

Aaron Hickey might get into these conversations in a decade or so...

westbow
3 hours ago, Sydney said:

Dave Mackay and Alex Young. 

Based on the fees paid for them by Spurs and Everton, they would both be 50-80 million pound transfers today.

True. Cannot compare using Bank of England inflation over last 50 years - better to use batshit crazy Weimar Republic hyperinflation for football transfers.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Did Pele not kick a ball on Tynecastle Park?

Ricardo Quaresma
12 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Close but Bobby was an enigma. He was deemed to have invented dribbling (Walkerism). 

The King of Norway made a trip especially to watch Bobby. 

Hearts most famous player for me, and he loved a goal against the wee team😀

From what I've gathered, he was like George Best, before George Best, in terms of natural talent

Firstly, who is James Madison?! 

Also, I get that Gordon Ramsey is pretty famous but not many will know he was Rangers' books. In terms of Rangers players you'd have to look at Laudrup or Gazza. 

In terms of Hearts, for famous I think you have to think of someone that most people on the street would know. 

I get that guys like Dave Mackay and Alex Young would have been famous in their day. But not sure as many would know them now. 

Guys like Fysass and Jankauskas would be famous in their own countries but maybe not here. 

I think from the modern era you are probably looking at Craig Gordon and Steven Naismith. I think both would have name recognition with the general public. 

db211833

Does Craig Gordon warrant a mention? British record transfer at the time. Maybe the injuries work against him though.

Jack Harkness was one of the famous "Wembley Wizards" while with Queen's Park and then turned professional with us for many years. Retired to be a sports journalist (with the "Sunday Post!") and passed the role there onto the horrendous Doug Baillie (ex-Rangers & Falkirk).

The Wembley Wizards were a wonderful team (5-1 win, after all).

1 hour ago, dtgj said:

Also, I get that Gordon Ramsey is pretty famous but not many will know he was Rangers' books. In terms of Rangers players you'd have to look at Laudrup or Gazza. 

In terms of Hearts, for famous I think you have to think of someone that most people on the street would know. 

I get that guys like Dave Mackay and Alex Young would have been famous in their day. But not sure as many would know them now. 

Guys like Fysass and Jankauskas would be famous in their own countries but maybe not here. 

I think from the modern era you are probably looking at Craig Gordon and Steven Naismith. I think both would have name recognition with the general public. 

Fyssas was part of the Greece team who won the Euros and Jankauskas was in the Porto team that won the Champions League. Maybe Gordon and Naismith would be better recognised in Scotland, but on the continent i'd argue it would be the opposite way about.

Gordons left glove
3 hours ago, dtgj said:

Ok I spelt it wrong but James maddison from Tottenham and Aaron Ramsey not Gordon.

1 hour ago, Gordons left glove said:

Ok I spelt it wrong but James maddison from Tottenham and Aaron Ramsey not Gordon.

I wasn't making a comment on spelling. I don't know who James Maddison is either. 

If you were to make me pick Aberdeen's most famous player it would probably be Gordon Strachan. 

Gordons left glove
3 hours ago, dtgj said:

I wasn't making a comment on spelling. I don't know who James Maddison is either. 

If you were to make me pick Aberdeen's most famous player it would probably be Gordon Strachan. 

Hes been one of the best players in the premier league this season? Played for Leicester last season.

queensferryjambo
11 hours ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Did Pele not kick a ball on Tynecastle Park?

I was there when he was at Tynecastle it was for the 1989 under 16 World Cup possibly the semi final vs Portugal if memory serves me correctly.

I believe he did a coaching session earlier in the day with school kids on the pitch. 

A0F87F23-2EAE-4C45-9414-743F9D4C3B88.thumb.jpeg.f2ba59b0a3905b1bc02b9c8cf72a7f5f.jpeg

The Craigmount pupils pose for a team photo on Hearts' Tynecastle Park pitch with Andy Roxburgh and Pele. "It was such a great day, that none of us that were there will never forget," added Jim.

Pele giving autographs to girls from Craigmount High School during his visit to Tynecastle in 1989.

Pele was welcomed by press and photographers when he arrived at Tynecastle Park for the session, which was part of a whistle-stop tour of Scottish football grounds taking part in the Under-16 Youth World Cup being held in the country.

10 hours ago, db211833 said:

Does Craig Gordon warrant a mention? British record transfer at the time. Maybe the injuries work against him though.

British transfer record, official best save in Premier League history and is 6th all time cap holder for Scotland. 

I’d say he’s worth a mention yep.

jamboinglasgow
6 hours ago, dtgj said:

Current England international and Tottenham player.

Had a good six month loan then was recalled back  to Norwich. Has gone from strength to strength since then.

Two ex Hearts players are in the English Hall of Fame.

Dave Mackay and Justin Fashanu.

12 hours ago, dtgj said:

So only players who have played in the Premier League for you 

11 hours ago, RS86 said:

Fyssas was part of the Greece team who won the Euros and Jankauskas was in the Porto team that won the Champions League. Maybe Gordon and Naismith would be better recognised in Scotland, but on the continent i'd argue it would be the opposite way about.

Definitely this . There is a football world outside of England 

5 hours ago, Sooks said:

So only players who have played in the Premier League for you 

Not sure how you got to this conclusion. I literally highlighted some guy I've never heard of who is apparently famous for playing in England. However, I don't do diddly leagues so I've never heard of him.

I think to be truly 'famous' someone would have had to do enough to break through football to get recognition beyond football fans. Gordon as a record transfer holder for a goalkeeper probably did enough to break through that barrier so people might have some awareness of him. 

16 hours ago, RS86 said:

It depends on where you go. If you went to France say and asked people about Fysass or Jankauskas I doubt they would know who they are. Even if you went to Greece, people might know Fysass but probably not Jankauskas. 

Before they'd joined Hearts I wouldn't have been able to pick them out a line up. And I would say I'd be fairly representative of an average person you could ask on the street. 

1 minute ago, dtgj said:

Not sure how you got to this conclusion. I literally highlighted some guy I've never heard of who is apparently famous for playing in England. However, I don't do diddly leagues so I've never heard of him.

I think to be truly 'famous' someone would have had to do enough to break through football to get recognition beyond football fans. Gordon as a record transfer holder for a goalkeeper probably did enough to break through that barrier so people might have some awareness of him. 

It depends on where you go. If you went to France say and asked people about Fysass or Jankauskas I doubt they would know who they are. Even if you went to Greece, people might know Fysass but probably not Jankauskas. 

Before they'd joined Hearts I wouldn't have been able to pick them out a line up. And I would say I'd be fairly representative of an average person you could ask on the street. 

I watched Euro 2004 and it was a massive deal for an unfancied nation to beat a star studied Portugal team in the final . Portugal being the hosts made the spotlight even brighter . I reckon most football fans of the time knew who Fyssas was 

Jankauskas is perhaps more fair , he never played in the final . However , it was a relatively lesser light winning the European Cup , and the beginning of Jose Mourinhos meteoric rise to stardom . I knew who he was but that is because I still watched the Champions League back then . Probably less avid supporters and viewers than me may have been less aware of him 

3 hours ago, dtgj said:

But if you went to Portugal (where both played) they are more likely to be recognised. Definitely depends where.

Doc Rob

If you exclude players who started their careers at Hearts, like Dave Mackay, and players whose famous deeds

were behind them when they came to Hearts, then the obvious choice for me would be Pinilla. Relatively obscure when we signed him, and went on not only to play in the World Cup, but famously hit the bar when scoring would have knocked out Brazil (who were hosts). Then won the Copa America in 2015 and 2016.

Shame his head wasn’t properly screwed on when he played for us, but there you have it.

tiger Rudi
18 hours ago, dtgj said:

McLeish and Miller the obvious other two....... Signing Hans Gillhaus was a bit of a coup back in the day too.