Dundee United

RustyRightPeg

1971fozzy
1 minute ago, ShedBoy said:

Did they not tweet asking for some rich yank to help them? Effectively begging for some dollar? Whores

Thing is , Motherwell are fan owned like us so I’d expect them to do the right thing but who knows ? They may be struggling also.

Section Q

If it's all/only about loaning players for development then there's no need to take a slice of the other club. Something more sinister going on and I think it might end in tears for some clubs. 

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Indeed.  But , hibs for example just end up copying our previous model.  There’s no way their investment is going to go well

🤞

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

It is up to them if that is what they want . I would not support us if we did the same 

It's not up to them tho, is it? It's up to whatever American investor currently owns them. 

john thomas
5 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Rumors going round that incoming Liverpool Sporting Director, Michael Edwards has identified Dundee United as a strategic partnership club...

Is it not that some AI company has fed some info in and DU is one of a few names that came out the other end ?

Yes I am not VERY techy

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Actually, having thought about this, maybe we should be buying up other clubs. Would love to see us take over Edinburgh’s rugby, ice hockey, basketball etc teams and start a Heart of… pyramid across sports and nations. 

Like the Spanish socios.

14 minutes ago, jamboj said:

It's not up to them tho, is it? It's up to whatever American investor currently owns them. 

That is what I meant . That Stephen Thompson is a wee rat , and his old man would be so disappointed with what he did to his beloved club after his death 

RustyRightPeg
30 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Is it not that some AI company has fed some info in and DU is one of a few names that came out the other end ?

Yes I am not VERY techy

It’s data driven I think yes. 4 or 5 clubs identified. 

john thomas
7 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It’s data driven I think yes. 4 or 5 clubs identified. 

Yes 'data driven' 

Thanks for that

SMJ_1874
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Perfectly feasible these days. 

🤣🤣👏🏻

Spellczech
3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Actually, having thought about this, maybe we should be buying up other clubs. Would love to see us take over Edinburgh’s rugby, ice hockey, basketball etc teams and start a Heart of… pyramid across sports and nations. 

Um no - then the football club would be cross-funding a lot more than just the Women's team...

Whilst I think you can do such things in Lisbon, I cannot see it working in a city the size of Edinburgh.

Spellczech
2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Indeed.  But , hibs for example just end up copying our previous model.  There’s no way their investment is going to go well

Yeah Hibs in their pyramid are basically equivalent of the tractor factory club from Minsk in the setup Vlad had...

Gorgie_Rules

Whilst on the face of it these type of ‘investments’ sound a bit dodgey, time will tell what it means in practice for the clubs involved.

Just because we have a 100% fan ownership structure we should’t bury our heads in the sand and out right dismiss it. 

The idea that some millionaire without ties to the club is going to start ploughing money in sounds a bit farfetched, but we should remain open to any perceived benefit if it transpires there is any. Hearts would certainly be a more attractive proposition than Motherwell, Dundee Utd etc but obviously its essential overall majority fan ownership is retained.

Thankfully our great work via FoH the last few years means we can sit on the sidelines and observe for now whilst other clubs take the risk.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Whilst on the face of it these type of ‘investments’ sound a bit dodgey, time will tell what it means in practice for the clubs involved.

Just because we have a 100% fan ownership structure we should’t bury our heads in the sand and out right dismiss it. 

The idea that some millionaire without ties to the club is going to start ploughing money in sounds a bit farfetched, but we should remain open to any perceived benefit if it transpires there is any. Hearts would certainly be a more attractive proposition than Motherwell, Dundee Utd etc but obviously its essentially overall majority fan ownership is retained.

We've already got a millionaire thst ploughs millions in, and one that hasn't asked for a significant shareholding in return. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Section Q said:

If it's all/only about loaning players for development then there's no need to take a slice of the other club. Something more sinister going on and I think it might end in tears for some clubs. 

The issue is,  it will probably end in tears for these clubs anyway, it's more a case of choosing which road to ruin is the best, or more fun.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Smithian

They just signed a deal with Fulham a couple years ago. Maybe it ended after aborted Rory MacLeod deal? https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/7150/COLLABORATION-WITH-FULHAM-FOOTBALL-CLUB.html

I have no desire for Hearts to ever enter a serious financial arrangement with another club. While some are better than others, ultimately your club's priorities become secondary to the bigger club's. 

I am fine with scouting and youth collaborations, but nothing where we are in bed with an EPL club who would have the ability to tell Hearts, "Aye, that Vargas lad has had a good year up there, he needs to be tested further by going and playing in Spain for a season."

I know there is a world where a well run multi-club consortium invests in Hearts and a moderate increase in resources makes it more a bit more possible that we could challenge to split the Old Firm one season. But I also can see a situation where they pull young guys like Denholm and Tait to play in U21s in England while not letting Hearts explore loan agreements that are best for Hearts. I just don't like the risk.

Cruickie's Moustache

Can't say I've given these types of arrangements too much thought but would have thought you won't be able to build a team up for sustainable success with this type of approach.

Think I heard on the radio that 8 of the 11 starters for Dundee at the weekend were loan players.

Where does that leave them next season if first choice players head back to their parent club.

Similar if clubs are trying to accommodate players through the feeder system. How many will be hanging around for more than one season.

We have done well because we Naismith has built a good team spirit with players who have signed up for the journey and we are not reliant on loanees.

Yes the odd bit of quality on loan etc is always welcome but only one or two per season or a Dexter type acquisition to provide cover when needed.

Edited by Cruickie's Moustache

4 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

We used to have swimming clubs but can't think of many other things 

28 minutes ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

Can't say I've given these types of arrangements too much thought but would have thought you won't be able to build a team up for sustainable success with this type of approach.

Think I heard on the radio that 8 of the 11 starters for Dundee at the weekend were loan players.

Where does that leave them next season if first choice players head back to their parent club.

Similar if clubs are trying to accommodate players through the feeder system. How many will be hanging around for more than one season.

We have done well because we Naismith has built a good team spirit with players who have signed up for the journey and we are not reliant on loanees.

Yes the odd bit of quality on loan etc is always welcome but only one or two per season or a Dexter type acquisition to provide cover when needed.

Off the top of my head, Dexter, Kenneth V, Lowry, Fraser, and Offiah were our loan players this season.

Cruickie's Moustache

Vargas we have signed up.

Dexter needed as RB cover.

Fraser has done nothing of note.

Lowry and  Offiah never worked out and had no real impact.

With Dhanda Spittal and Penrice joining we are improving our depth.

Can only see us taking loanees if exceptional or needed for injury cover.

2 hours ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

Vargas we have signed up.

Dexter needed as RB cover.

Fraser has done nothing of note.

Lowry and  Offiah never worked out and had no real impact.

With Dhanda Spittal and Penrice joining we are improving our depth.

Can only see us taking loanees if exceptional or needed for injury cover.

I think all our loans made sense this year and we are using loans wisely.

Section Q

I think Hibs should offer q couple of their squad players on loan to Bournemouth next season, and see how the agreement holds up. . . . . . . 👍

Filling your team with loanees from a bigger club will negate the need for your academy. What chance has a young local player got of making it to the first team if their position is filled by an academy player for the pyramid's top team.

When this happens, the team will lose it's local identity. After a few years of having one season loanees and the inevitable poor league positions that this will bring, the growing apathy amongst the support will be palpable.

FTH

1971fozzy
49 minutes ago, Serge said:

Filling your team with loanees from a bigger club will negate the need for your academy. What chance has a young local player got of making it to the first team if their position is filled by an academy player for the pyramid's top team.

When this happens, the team will lose it's local identity. After a few years of having one season loanees and the inevitable poor league positions that this will bring, the growing apathy amongst the support will be palpable.

FTH

The thing is ( and Dundee and Hibs will prove this ), you never own the players and will almost certainly not have them for next season if they do well or even ok.

Your bang on with apathy setting in. Dundee have had a very good season but will lose 80% of their side and have managed to get in debt by £3m all the while playing on a neglected mud bath.

Our neighbours (hardly rivals) will see the scenario of the conveyor belt of risky loanees arrive and depart. Add in the inevitable change of manager to suit Bournemouth and that’s going to end up a real circus for us all to enjoy. I’d be terrified if I was a hibs supporter. 
They must be sickened looking at us right now.

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Did they not tweet asking for some rich yank to help them? Effectively begging for some dollar? Whores

You're not referring to the Taylor swift tweet are you?

That was clearly a joke.