Colin Steven

comradejambo

comradejambo

Easier to say this after winning. But some baffling refereeing. Some blatant fouls he just waved play on and allowed another phase for the opposition before awarding us a free kick for the original offence. Thought Devlin should have been booked them he booked Cochrane for less.

Didn’t think he really needed to dish out second yellow to their striker after he was subbed off.

Still remember him doing the fateful Christmas Eve Dundee united game. Hasn’t improved! 

innerjambo
Just now, comradejambo said:

Easier to say this after winning. But some baffling refereeing. Some blatant fouls he just waved play on and allowed another phase for the opposition before awarding us a free kick for the original offence. Thought Devlin should have been booked them he booked Cochrane for less.

Didn’t think he really needed to dish out second yellow to their striker after he was subbed off.

Still remember him doing the fateful Christmas Eve Dundee united game. Hasn’t improved! 

Thought I was watching wrestling at times. Devlin took a few body slams.

GlasgoJambo

Looks a bit like a wee lad out of his depth sometimes.  Not sure he has the respect of the players.

GinRummy

He was horrendous. Blowing late for those fouls, when they were clear fouls and advantage didn’t come into it, was poor. 

neilnunb

He's easily one of the worst and that's saying something.

When the Livi keeper had the ball. Wee Colin then runs up, grabs the ball, bounces it and then hands it back to the keeper. **** off. 🤣

What the heck was with changing the ball after every goal too? 

You just know he was a wee teacher's pet at school and probably still a virgin. 

4 minutes ago, comradejambo said:

In a vast desert wasteland of talent , he is a desolate pauper 

Rampant

I know the guidance is in an offside situation, referees are to play on in case of goal, then the offside is called and VAR will confirm or correct.

I'm not aware the same applies for situations with a foul in the build-up, which is what seemed to be the strategy by the ref today.

It seemed the most obvious instance of a referee waiting for VAR to make the call.  If any of those chances led to a goal, would he have awarded it and let VAR correct him?  I'm not sure if there is a precedent for playing on for a goal only to then pull it back for a foul in the build-up. Let alone a precedent for VAR to then step in and award the goal if the refs decision to pull it back is wrong.

I think I'm fairly clued up on VAR.  Waiting for decisions in the stadium might be a bit frustrating, but you can generally guess what a check is for. I'm not desperate for it to be binned like many.  But I've no idea what the plan was today with those instances where play was allowed to continue in case a goal was scored.

Daveandal

The blowing late for a foul was infuriating. Especially for the players. It worked both ways so no one really got any advantage overall but still. He just seemed to make up his own rules re fouls.

I think the lack of respect from players might be right. Firstly players should respect a ref but just like a teacher in school some people have natural authority others don't.

Bunny Munro
3 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I know the guidance is in an offside situation, referees are to play on in case of goal, then the offside is called and VAR will confirm or correct.

I'm not aware the same applies for situations with a foul in the build-up, which is what seemed to be the strategy by the ref today.

It seemed the most obvious instance of a referee waiting for VAR to make the call.  If any of those chances led to a goal, would he have awarded it and let VAR correct him?  I'm not sure if there is a precedent for playing on for a goal only to then pull it back for a foul in the build-up. Let alone a precedent for VAR to then step in and award the goal if the refs decision to pull it back is wrong.

I think I'm fairly clued up on VAR.  Waiting for decisions in the stadium might be a bit frustrating, but you can generally guess what a check is for. I'm not desperate for it to be binned like many.  But I've no idea what the plan was today with those instances where play was allowed to continue in case a goal was scored.

I think he would have blown for the foul after the goal had been scored and then let VAR allow the goal if it wasn't a foul. Infuriating but good refereeing in the VAR era. (Another example of this style of refereeing was in the 1-1 derby when Vargas went through 1-1 and then blasted over, once the ball was out of the play the ref gave Hibs a foul for a (soft as shite) push.

He was shite for the rest of the game mind.

i wish jj was my dad
16 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

Looks a bit like a wee lad out of his depth sometimes.  Not sure he has the respect of the players.

I said the same thing in tge first half. There are worse refs but he has no authority whatsoever. 

merrymac
14 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

When the Livi keeper had the ball. Wee Colin then runs up, grabs the ball, bounces it and then hands it back to the keeper. **** off. 🤣

🤣🤣

I think the ball is something to do with auctioning the actual ball that scores.

Rampant
4 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

I think he would have blown for the foul after the goal had been scored and then let VAR allow the goal if it wasn't a foul.

That's what I don't understand.  Certainly seen goals awarded and VAR has asked the ref to look at a possible foul in the build-up e.g. Miovski foul on Baningime against us earlier this season.

But I can't recall seeing the reverse, which seemed to be the plan today.  Not sure if there's a precedent for it, and especially confusing for fans in the stadium (and at home perhaps) if they have introduced this protocol without any information for the fans.

Saint Jambo
11 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I wasn't particularly impressed with him overall, but to be fair neither of these are really his fault. When play has been stoped for an injury, play has to restart with an uncontested drop ball. He can't just let the keeper start with the ball.

The changing balls after goals has been recently introduced across the league. It is to allow the goal scoring ball to be auctioned off for charity. A bit of a nonsense but nothing to do with the ref.

5 minutes ago, Rampant said:

This happened earlier in the season and someone on here pointed me in the direction of rules showing the ref is right to wave play on. In both cases it hasn't resulted in a goal so we haven't seen it play out, but presumably if the ref thinks it was a foul, as soon as the goal is scored he indicates foul is his on field decision.

The only objection today is that the wording for delaying a flag or whistle is...

"Delaying the flag/whistle for an offence is only permissible in a very clear attacking situation when a player is about to score a goal or has a clear run into/towards the opponents’ penalty area."

I'd like to see it again, but I'm not convinced that it met these criteria, but the neither do lots of the times an offside is delayed.

The issue here is potentially the rule not the ref. As well as being crap for the watching fan, the risk is that it unfairly puts an attacker in a really great attacking player, a defender may then go flying in attempting to make a crucial tackle, but if that tackle is deemed reckless, they will get sent off despite the fact play will be pulled back for the original foul. Bonkers.

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

The ball changing was explained at ht.

Nothing to do with the ref.

Australis

Here to ruin games for a long time I'm afraid.

Every major feck up will get him a cup final.

Gave Livvy everything today.

How was their goalie not booked at the penalty, totally useless.

Rampant
Just now, Saint Jambo said:

I wasn't particularly impressed with him overall, but to be fair neither of these are really his fault. When play has been 

This happened earlier in the season and someone on here pointed me in the direction of rules showing the ref is right to wave play on. In both cases it hasn't resulted in a goal so we haven't seen it play out, but presumably if the ref thinks it was a foul, as soon as the goal is scored he indicates foul is his on field decision.

The only objection today is that the wording for delaying a flag or whistle is...

"Delaying the flag/whistle for an offence is only permissible in a very clear attacking situation when a player is about to score a goal or has a clear run into/towards the opponents’ penalty area."

I'd like to see it again, but I'm not convinced that it met these criteria, but the neither do lots of the times an offside is delayed.

The issue here is potentially the rule not the ref. As well as being crap for the watching fan, the risk is that it unfairly puts an attacker in a really great attacking player, a defender may then go flying in attempting to make a crucial tackle, but if that tackle is deemed reckless, they will get sent off despite the fact play will be pulled back for the original foul. Bonkers.

That is wonderfully helpful.  Thank you.  Certainly sounds like the rule and not the ref then, generally. 

Though I would back you on the events today not meeting the criteria, as I can't recall getting frustrated at such instances in previous games.

The wider point about allowing play to continue does seem like a rule in place because we can't trust officials to read a game and an attack and make the sensible decision in the moment.

neilnunb
5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The ball changing was explained at ht.

Nothing to do with the ref.

What was the explanation? I had gone from my seat.

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Would like to know also, seemed pretty pointless to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

LogicalEric

The amount of time he took to blow for fouls was ridiculous. Sure there was one in the first half where he allowed the Livingston attack to continue, put the shot over, then pull it back for a foul. Baffling all round

Bunny Munro
5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

2 minutes ago, flem said:

Would like to know also, seemed pretty pointless to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

The balls are being auctioned off for charity.

Just now, Bunny Munro said:

The balls are being auctioned off for charity.

👍

Ricardo Quaresma

He let them horrifyingly run towards goal after fouling, several times

It was like new year '06 all over again

Daveandal
6 minutes ago, Homme said:

Looks like a prick and referees like a prick.

If looks like chicken, smells like chicken and tastes like chicken....

SomethingAboutObua

Was really poor. One of the worst for a long time, but it didn't affect the result so it won't be talked about 

Pasquale for King
55 minutes ago, comradejambo said:

Spot on, Gordon must’ve thought oh no not him again ffs. I take it the striker swore at the 4th official 😆.

Saint Jambo
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on, Gordon must’ve thought oh no not him again ffs. I take it the striker swore at the 4th official 😆.

Someone said he kicked a water bottle that flew over the dugout and into the stand. There was a pantomime reaction from the crowd over that side which would fit. If that is what happened, a bit unlucky as the 4th official would probably have ignored it if it hadn't gone into the stand. But ultimately a stupid thing to do and the ref has no real choice but to book him after the 4th official has called him over.

Saint Jambo
8 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Was really poor. One of the worst for a long time, but it didn't affect the result so it won't be talked about 

I think the issue is that unless they are playing against the old firm, Scottish refs simply aren't willing to blow for every foul committed by 'physical' teams like Livi. And then aren't willing to book their players quickly enough. So those teams can get away with it. The amount of contact by number 33 on Hearts defence every time the ball was played upfield was ridiculous. Same goes for booking Cochrane for pulling down a player who was breaking away despite having not booked about half a dozen Livi players for similar cynical foils to stop players breaking.

colinmorewasgash

Another Inbred from west useless ref looks like collums brother.

Shutterstock_11026893bu.jpg

section s heart
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Someone said he kicked a water bottle that flew over the dugout and into the stand. There was a pantomime reaction from the crowd over that side which would fit. If that is what happened, a bit unlucky as the 4th official would probably have ignored it if it hadn't gone into the stand. But ultimately a stupid thing to do and the ref has no real choice but to book him after the 4th official has called him over.

He definitely took a full blooded swipe at the water bottle. From the Wheatfield I thought it had gone into the dug out, but it maybe did go over it. Either way it could have injured someone and was probably reckless enough to get the 4th official's attention. 

hereford_hearts
7 minutes ago, section s heart said:

He definitely took a full blooded swipe at the water bottle. From the Wheatfield I thought it had gone into the dug out, but it maybe did go over it. Either way it could have injured someone and was probably reckless enough to get the 4th official's attention. 

Just watched sportscene. I looked like it went over the side of the dugout and down the tunnel. 

heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, LogicalEric said:

The amount of time he took to blow for fouls was ridiculous. Sure there was one in the first half where he allowed the Livingston attack to continue, put the shot over, then pull it back for a foul. Baffling all round

This. Happened a few times.

Lone Striker

Why did he go over to Cochrane  towards the end of the first half  and stand over him for a full minute watching him tie his laces ?    Very strange chap.   Stickler for  the rules though - walked the entire width of the penalty box to make sure  no player had a toe inside the box when Shanks was ready to take the penalty.

He sprayed the line for the wall in the second half, got the players on it, got distracted then went and sprayed another line almost over their boots :laugh:

Lone Striker
11 minutes ago, hereford_hearts said:

Just watched sportscene. I looked like it went over the side of the dugout and down the tunnel. 

At least he managed to actually kick the bottle, unlike Michael Stewart at Hamilton 😃

Stendelnator

He looks like the result of asking AI to make a photo of Gollum with hair made from a carpet 

Rick Sanchez

Kudos for having the balls to overturn the linesman giving them a throw in though. Most would have just sided with him.