Old people drivers.

Greedy Jambo

RustyRightPeg
On 12/04/2024 at 21:53, frankblack said:

I think younger drivers (sub 30yo) are the worst.  There is a reason their insurance premiums are so high.

Every one of them think they are the next Lewis Hamilton.

I'm under 30 and I'd disagree. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Jim_Duncan

• highlandjambo3

• Doctor FinnBarr

frankblack
37 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Insurance premiums for this age range are high for a reason.

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Insurance premiums for this age range are high for a reason.

Funny, I work in insurance and the premiums are increasing market wide with no prejudice.  

frankblack
17 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Funny, I work in insurance and the premiums are increasing market wide with no prejudice.  

That wasn't what I said.  Would you expect to see a difference in a quote for a 40 year old vs a 25yo for the same car?

On 12/04/2024 at 22:41, Cranston said:

Why not make every occupation then have to re sit tests and evaluate their morals and ethics. Judges re tested every few years, bricklayers re tested every few years, politicians re tested every few years etc. Why just car drivers? I've had my license for over 30 years, not one accident or near incident, very careful I am. Why should I be punished for the not so careful?

The vast majority of jobs require some form of re-certification or on the job refresher training, many of those are nowhere near as dangerous or have the ability to endanger others in the way driving can.  Re-validation of your driving ability isn't a punishment, if you are as good a driver as you think you are then passing the test wouldn't be an issue, especially as you'll have kept yourself fully up to date with changes to the highway code and changes in the technology in cars over the last 30 years

On 13/04/2024 at 18:50, Debut 4 said:

I’m by no means saying I’m a great driver but I’ve noticed over just the last couple of years how over cautious drivers can cause as much problems as speed merchants.  

Some of the stuff you see would have your instructor going off his nut.  

From people being too slow to merge from slip roads onto motorways to people driving on the outside lane on a motorway far too slowly with acres and acres of room in front of them.  

Instructors say stay up to the speed of the road where applicable. So many people forget the rules of the road.  

Also roundabouts.  

Don’t get me started on that pish.  Well, too late.  People straddling both lanes as they go around it and ready to leave at the junction they are heading for while you are in the correct lane behind them but have to accommodate their incompetence as they are totally oblivious.  

People starting in the outside lane but want to take the second exit that’s straight over and look at you as if you are in the wrong lane as you exit.  

Was up at Auchingarrick Wildlife park with the wee man yesterday, on the way back we were on a country road that folk are rightfully cautious on despite being a posted 60mph road, one driver took it took extremes though and I was sat in a queue of maybe 10-12 cars stuck behind them for at least 5 miles while they drove at 20mph, very narrow road so difficult to overtake however the 20mph driver could have on 5 or 6 occasions pulled into a passing place to allow the dozen drivers behind them to pass

Stuart Lyon
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Was up at Auchingarrick Wildlife park with the wee man yesterday, on the way back we were on a country road that folk are rightfully cautious on despite being a posted 60mph road, one driver took it took extremes though and I was sat in a queue of maybe 10-12 cars stuck behind them for at least 5 miles while they drove at 20mph, very narrow road so difficult to overtake however the 20mph driver could have on 5 or 6 occasions pulled into a passing place to allow the dozen drivers behind them to pass

Was he old?

2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Was he old?

was really responding to the post about over cautious drivers but yeah the driver was indeed old

On 12/04/2024 at 21:56, Jim_Duncan said:

Spoke to an old Nigerian guy last week; he has been in Britain for about 35 years. His opinion was that there are too many Asians and Africans on the roads. 

This is very true. I have lived in the middle east and they have little to no rules of the road. Being in the back of a taxi there was terrifying. Zooming in and out of traffic at 70mph, not giving way etc etc. They seem to forget they aren't living in their own country anymore. 

il Duce McTarkin
6 hours ago, Ribble said:

Cracking wee park, that. I usually take the little men there when we're staying up in Crieff.

Cranston
10 hours ago, Ribble said:

The vast majority of jobs require some form of re-certification or on the job refresher training, many of those are nowhere near as dangerous or have the ability to endanger others in the way driving can.  Re-validation of your driving ability isn't a punishment, if you are as good a driver as you think you are then passing the test wouldn't be an issue, especially as you'll have kept yourself fully up to date with changes to the highway code and changes in the technology in cars over the last 30 years

Who would pay for re sitting of re testing?

Plus the hours off work or time spent having to re visit learning, and re testing? 

Its ridiculous, costly, waste of time, and typically bureaucratic. 

Time we got well rid of stasi type nonsensical, cost polluting so called politicians. 

My grandfather, who passed away a couple of years ago voluntarily gave up his licence. He was in his late eighties and was able to recognise his reaction times weren't as sharp as they once were. 

On 15/04/2024 at 11:35, RustyRightPeg said:

You prefer to be Max Verstappen then?

Greedy Jambo

Young drivers have far better reaction times than older people, i should know, they constantly beat me at computers games online. 

I'm not saying they're good drivers, they don't have the experience and are a bit gun ho, but some of the older drivers really need to call it a day. 

jimbojambo

If the police are to be believed most accidents are caused by speed which would be younger drivers generally. Professional drivers also tend to show zero courtesy - I'm thinking taxis, buses etc. Driving in Edinburgh is a nightmare for everyone with potholes, roadworks, emission zones, traffic restrictions, cyclists, pedestrians on phones, etc causing drivers to be late and then cutting corners to catch up so really unfair to single out a group on account of their age. I am 70 shortly and had to reapply for my licence which only lasts 3 years and any health issues are picked up there. Finally how many drivers would pass new theory and practical tests today? 

Nookie Bear
5 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

If the police are to be believed most accidents are caused by speed which would be younger drivers generally. Professional drivers also tend to show zero courtesy - I'm thinking taxis, buses etc. Driving in Edinburgh is a nightmare for everyone with potholes, roadworks, emission zones, traffic restrictions, cyclists, pedestrians on phones, etc causing drivers to be late and then cutting corners to catch up so really unfair to single out a group on account of their age. I am 70 shortly and had to reapply for my licence which only lasts 3 years and any health issues are picked up there. Finally how many drivers would pass new theory and practical tests today? 

Was thinking how difficult and scary it must be for anyone learning to drive now.

Then there's the cost...i can see how young people may do the maths and feel bikes/taxis and public transport etc is a better option

Greedy Jambo

I saw an old woman smash into another car at the lights today...

Jim_Duncan
4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I saw an old woman smash into another car at the lights today...

What, just walking along the road?

Jim_Duncan
On 12/04/2024 at 23:13, il Duce McTarkin said:

:sadrobbo:

On 13/04/2024 at 08:18, CostaJambo said:

There is a much higher percentage of the two demographics mentioned above pootling along at 60 in the middle lane of a motorway than would be expected statistically.

On 15/04/2024 at 19:39, Negan said:

This is very true. I have lived in the middle east and they have little to no rules of the road. Being in the back of a taxi there was terrifying. Zooming in and out of traffic at 70mph, not giving way etc etc. They seem to forget they aren't living in their own country anymore. 

Ultimate Pan-Asian driving situation on West Savile Terrace this morning. 

Chinese-looking woman rolls past a parking spot with her indicator on. She wants to reverse into the space. Headscarfed women in car behind rolls right up to her bumper and proceeds to chat to her pal in the passenger seat. Chinese-looking woman stands her ground, while the headscarf woman doesn’t figure out what’s going on and actually rolls closer to the car in front.

Cue long tailback of other cars, vans and a 24 bus despite the road down to the traffic lights at Mayfield Road being completely clear. They're probably still there now. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Ultimate Pan-Asian driving situation on West Savile Terrace this morning. 

Chinese-looking woman rolls past a parking spot with her indicator on. She wants to reverse into the space. Headscarfed women in car behind rolls right up to her bumper and proceeds to chat to her pal in the passenger seat. Chinese-looking woman stands her ground, while the headscarf woman doesn’t figure out what’s going on and actually rolls closer to the car in front.

Cue long tailback of other cars, vans and a 24 bus despite the road down to the traffic lights at Mayfield Road being completely clear. They're probably still there now. 

Infuriating behaviour!

Yesterday I was at the lights on the inside lane waiting to turn right to head up to Chesser. On my left was a middle eastern uber driver and behind him was a Lothian bus and a tailback of your usual rush hour traffic. The traffic was free flowing in his lane until he stops dead puts his hazards on and lets out 2 of his passengers, holding everyone up in the process. Completely blocking off the road and not a care in the world. Why do they get away with it?

On 17/04/2024 at 09:42, Nookie Bear said:

Was thinking how difficult and scary it must be for anyone learning to drive now.

Then there's the cost...i can see how young people may do the maths and feel bikes/taxis and public transport etc is a better option

I only passed my test about 4.5 years ago (38 at the time) and I actually found it really easy, much easier than the handful of lessons I had when I was younger, I did however notice that the majority of what I was being taught wasn't being practiced by anyone I seen actually driving.

Prices and instructor availability now are scary in comparison to pre-covid, Scotland even has a higher average cost for lessons than london (£41 per hour v £35 per hour) and with the DVSA saying that on average people need 45 hours of lessons to pass their test it's now over £1800 to learn to drive (not including the cost of the test, theory/hazard perception test etc), as you say it's no wonder younger folks just take the bus, especially those living in a large town or city.

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I only passed my test about 4.5 years ago (38 at the time) and I actually found it really easy, much easier than the handful of lessons I had when I was younger, I did however notice that the majority of what I was being taught wasn't being practiced by anyone I seen actually driving.

Prices and instructor availability now are scary in comparison to pre-covid, Scotland even has a higher average cost for lessons than london (£41 per hour v £35 per hour) and with the DVSA saying that on average people need 45 hours of lessons to pass their test it's now over £1800 to learn to drive (not including the cost of the test, theory/hazard perception test etc), as you say it's no wonder younger folks just take the bus, especially those living in a large town or city.

Good. Leaves more road space for us over 65s. 

Jim_Duncan
5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Doesn’t help when police don’t bother about shite driving that goes on right under their noses. 

I see folk amber gambling and going through reds, parking on pavements, holding their phones, driving with full beam lights on, stopping on double yellows, all within the view of police in a car, but they do nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Doesn’t help when police don’t bother about shite driving that goes on right under their noses. 

I see folk amber gambling and going through reds, parking on pavements, holding their phones, driving with full beam lights on, stopping on double yellows, all within the view of police in a car, but they do nothing. 

Yeah totally agree, my 2 biggest annoyances caused by other drivers are folk that think that me leaving a safe distance to the car in front is an invite for them to cut in without indicating (especially on the motorway) and also those that drive at 60 and only 60mph, in the fast lane of the motorway? 60mph, come off the motorway onto a road that's 50? still 60mph (worst for this is the road from the queenferry crossing into edinburgh past miller & carter, if I was a traffic cop with an unmarked car i'd just drive up and down that road all day, easily break all force records for speeding tickets issued) 

il Duce McTarkin
6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

folk that think that me leaving a safe distance to the car in front is an invite for them to cut in without indicating 

****ing hate this. Especially in poor conditions where a bit if extra distance is essential. Usually some prick in a BMW.

Cut right in front for all of about a minute before pulling back out and hooring off to do the same to somebody else.

Top trolling tbf.

Maple Leaf

The quality of driving has declined and continues to decline.  There are shit drivers everywhere, and that applies to all age groups.

Nookie Bear
40 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Good. Leaves more road space for us over 65s. 

Mr. Magoo | Favorite cartoon character, Classic cartoon characters, Old  school cartoons

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The quality of driving has declined and continues to decline.  There are shit drivers everywhere, and that applies to all age groups.

I think there is a subsection of (almost 100% male) drivers who see showing any kind of courtesy is a sign of weakness.

27 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

****ing hate this. Especially in poor conditions where a bit if extra distance is essential. Usually some prick in a BMW.

Cut right in front for all of about a minute before pulling back out and hooring off to do the same to somebody else.

Top trolling tbf.

I find it's Audi drivers more often than not but totally agree

jimbojambo

It's the cars that tailgate you that grind my gears. It's counter productive with me though as I take great delight in slowing down, letting everyone out and generally doing all I can to annoy them. 

il Duce McTarkin
16 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I find it's Audi drivers more often than not but totally agree

BMW, Audi, Volvo.

Australis

Got a neighbour in his 70s.

He has started reversing out of his drive with a high hedge on either side  reversing way too quickly without really looking.

No idea if anyone is coming past until he is out.

I fear kids or dog walkers are going to be reversed over.

Can't believe he still has a licence.

ArcticJambo
38 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

It's the cars that tailgate you that grind my gears. It's counter productive with me though as I take great delight in slowing down, letting everyone out and generally doing all I can to annoy them. 

I've often wondered if it's a generational thing  and by that I mean those drivers who have grown up with game consoles  like they're in a real live racing game. I'm talking about miles along the bypass where you're both doing 70 to 80mph.

Never understood why you would think it in anyway other than dumb behavior.

Maple Leaf
26 minutes ago, Australis said:

He has started reversing out of his drive with a high hedge on either side  reversing way too quickly without really looking.

See!  Bad driving applies to young people too.  :wink:

Jim_Duncan
35 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I've often wondered if it's a generational thing  and by that I mean those drivers who have grown up with game consoles  like they're in a real live racing game. I'm talking about miles along the bypass where you're both doing 70 to 80mph.

Never understood why you would think it in anyway other than dumb behavior.

Wee bubble of invincibility. 

Until they kill someone or hurt themselves. 

Greedy Jambo

Anyone know what happened in Currie earlier? 2 police cars, 2 fire engines and an ambulance flew past me with the road then being closed off. 

If carlsberg did rivals...
On 15/04/2024 at 15:36, Stuart Lyon said:

Was he old?

He was by the time he got to his destination 

If carlsberg did rivals...
2 hours ago, Australis said:

Be a good neighbour and offer to trim his bush.

7 minutes ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

He was by the time he got to his destination 

:lol: 

6 minutes ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

Be a good neighbour and offer to trim his bush.

1019121E-9FB5-4BA2-972A-BB84DA559A6B.jpeg

jimbojambo
6 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Anyone know what happened in Currie earlier? 2 police cars, 2 fire engines and an ambulance flew past me with the road then being closed off. 

I heard a car was on its roof and Lanark Road was closed. 

Ulysses
5 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Another pet hate of mine, drivers that join the motorway and cut straight across to the fast lane.

Surely make you lose your mind?

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Another pet hate of mine, drivers that join the motorway and cut straight across to the fast lane.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C56XPfbtNbm/?igsh=MWJvcGNxMWxxOHJ0dQ==

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Surely make you lose your mind?

Pet hate of mine also, I join the M8 at J3 heading west and give it a few seconds in lane 1 before moving to lane 2, the amount of twats at Heartlands and Shotts/Harthill who seem to think lane 1 is an extension to the slip road is unreal.

Greedy Jambo
2 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

I heard a car was on its roof and Lanark Road was closed. 

Crazy 

You could lower the speed limit to 5mph and folk would still manage to crash.