The Jet and Right Backs

Red Card Ref

1 minute ago, ShedBoy said:

Great player. Was it him that went to Rangers in exchange for £ and steel for the Wheatfield stand?

He definitely went to Rangers , but I can not remember a deal for metal . Was this due to the Rangers owner owning MIM

ShedBoy
10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

He definitely went to Rangers , but I can not remember a deal for metal . Was this due to the Rangers owner owning MIM

Exactly that sooks. I’m positive David Murray gave us steel as part of the deal. (Not Dave McPherson) actual steel 🤣

Frail, Locke, McPherson and Murray all played at right back on various occasions. Grant Murray was also occasionally deployed in a man-marking role floating about midfield.

Flögel was initially played as a striker, but eventually found his way to right back too.

Paris 84
35 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Certainly started a RB.

But played a fair spell and was excelling as a CM, where he was fielded at Hampden that day.

No, he played wide right as a wing back at Hampden that day. He played on the right, Neil Pointon played on the left. 

Corstorphine Jambo

I struggle to link players with managers - but the thread reinforces that we’ve struggled to identify many right backs over the last 20/30 years. That said, Big Slim was outstanding when he played there!
For a bit, sadly probably only around half a season, we had Frail on one side and Tosh McKinlay on the other. Both on their game outstanding full backs, especially in attack.

Locke looked the part but, again sadly, was finished almost before he got started

41 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Aye what a peach!! Thanks for sharing 

No bother mate . It was a great goal 

54 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Exactly that sooks. I’m positive David Murray gave us steel as part of the deal. (Not Dave McPherson) actual steel 🤣

:lol: 

53 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Frail, Locke, McPherson and Murray all played at right back on various occasions. Grant Murray was also occasionally deployed in a man-marking role floating about midfield.

Flögel was initially played as a striker, but eventually found his way to right back too.

Pressley too

DG_HMFC
2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

That was Jefferies' second spell.

Stephen Frail was on the books when for Jefferies first three seasons, but was injured in the first season and only managed 26 games in the following two season.

I know. After I posted I realised the OP said first spell in charge. Thought I edited in time. Obviously not :lol:

1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

Shuggy Burns 👀

With a certain hilarious irony he was a left footer. 

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Only player in history you pay to watch make a tackle! Slid in and somehow came out with the ball at his feet in an upright stance amazing to watch!

I used to think he had the ability to swivel his foot 360 degrees!  Also his ability to trap a ball no matter what angle it came to him at was crazy.

Maybe not a natural right back as some have said, then again what was his natural position? I think he played RB, LB, CB, midfield and even striker for us.  He never got the chance to play in goals for us, but he'd probably have done a job.

22 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Was Steven Pressley signed as a RB or covering for injuries?

I think he started off playing as RB when he was at Rangers, but by the time we signed him from Dundee Utd he'd already switched to CB.  

Super_Hans
22 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Was Steven Pressley signed as a RB or covering for injuries?

Pretty sure he was a centre half at Dundee United. Played right back most of 98/99 as we still had Weir and Ritchie until Weir left in early 1999. He was a shite right back. Wasn't until Levein came in, where we got the best out of Pressley in his natural position.

GlasgoJambo
3 hours ago, Hansel said:

Didn't Davie Weir start off as RB for us in his 1st season? Pretty sure he was our top goalscorer with 9 goal or something

I have that memory too. 
Weir and Dissa as full backs. 

cosanostra

Weir, Pressley and McPherson all definitely filled in at right back. 

We always seem to struggle to get decent right backs but always seem to find great left backs.

DalryJambo
4 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Naysmith was a RB surely 

Left back

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

Don't a lot of midfielders who aren't quite good enough to play pro in midfielder become right and left backs? I'm sure Gary Naismith place centre mid for his high school team and hutchie Vale. Might be remembering that incorrectly, but I'm sure he played my age group.

Cochrane was a midfielder in his youth

Pasquale for King

Fraser Wishart, Colin Miller played both FB roles. Bruno played a couple of games there too, Red Star Belgrade at home against some wonder kid. 
Considering he loved a signing JJ didn’t get a RB. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Boyces beard said:

Grant Murray was a right back, that was his main position

He was also a good man marker, but you obviously needed to play a certain system to accommodate that. He was brilliant against John Spencer one game but lost him once and he scored.