The Jet and Right Backs

Red Card Ref

Red Card Ref

Help me out here guys...

Name me a dedicated right back from Jim Jefferies first reign as manager?

I'm convinced he never signed and barely even played a RB. I think youngster David Murie might have been a RB and he played a handful of games. Was he the only one?

McPherson, Locke, Flögel, Grant Murray, Elvis... all played there but none are right backs.

3 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

I would say that Locke was a right back

Exactly 💯 

kingantti1874

I think you are right.  Weren’t many. Locke was the only recognised I think.  Sure we had a guy called Grant Murray played out there as did big slim.  

Trigger
4 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Gary Locke was a CM who was played at right back.

Trust me, I know.

Trigger
1 minute ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Wasn't Alan McManus a right back?

Centre half.

Trust me, I know. 😂

Polonia Gorgie
Just now, Trigger said:

Trust me, I know.

Not gonnae argue........ But I'm sure most fans from that era would probably say Locke was a right back/ full back

Polonia Gorgie
Just now, Trigger said:

Centre half.

Trust me, I know. 😂

😂😂

Polonia Gorgie
Just now, naeclue said:

Alan Mclaren, or was he post Jefferies?

Pre Jefferies 

briever
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think you are right.  Weren’t many. Locke was the only recognised I think.  Sure we had a guy called Grant Murray played out there as did big slim.  

Grant Murray was a recognised RB.

Paris 84

Gary Locke came into the team as a right back. He may well have played in central midfield in the youths but from his debut ‘till  he was injured in the Scottish Cup Final of 1996, he played at right back. Trust me, I watched every game. 

soonbe110
19 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

After his injury he was. 

soonbe110
15 minutes ago, Trigger said:

Trust me, I know.

He was.  Knee injury forced the change. 

Didn't Davie Weir start off as RB for us in his 1st season? Pretty sure he was our top goalscorer with 9 goal or something

Polonia Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Paris 84 said:

Gary Locke came into the team as a right back. He may well have played in central midfield in the youths but from his debut ‘till  he was injured in the Scottish Cup Final of 1996, he played at right back. Trust me, I watched every game. 

I would say right back as well. It's nearly 30 years ago now, so I'm using a foggy memory.

DG_HMFC

Definitely Gary Locke.

Edited by DG_HMFC

York Ninja

Not signed by JJ but Stevie Frail played under Jefferies.

Also didn't JJ give Robbie "the tackle" Neilson his debut?  Robbie's long throws to Kevin James being a preferred tactic.

Robbie Neilson was not a wing back.  Unless slicing balls down the line out of play is part of the masterplan.

Saint Jambo
8 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Craig Thomson.

That was Jefferies' second spell.

Stephen Frail was on the books when for Jefferies first three seasons, but was injured in the first season and only managed 26 games in the following two season.

SectionDJambo
25 minutes ago, Paris 84 said:

I agree 

Sandy Clark introduced him into the first team as a right back 

brawlad74

Fraser Wishart tho mostly injured

I can only assume a few posters on here are a good bit younger than me . He inherited Frail who was excellent when not injured , and Grant Murray came in to the first team when he was manager . Neilson came through the ranks and JJ farmed him out to Queen of the South to try and break through at a lower level and see if he could make it . McPherson was a CH played there because he was good and he could . Pressley played there at first when JJ signed him but like McPherson he was always going to be a CH . McLaren only played RB for us because we had Levein and McPherson centrally and he was just breaking through . Flogel , Severin and others filled in there but it was not their natural position  

Locke played there after his injury as others mention 

Edited by Sooks

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Red Card Ref said:

Help me out here guys...

Name me a dedicated right back from Jim Jefferies first reign as manager?

I'm convinced he never signed and barely even played a RB. I think youngster David Murie might have been a RB and he played a handful of games. Was he the only one?

McPherson, Locke, Flögel, Grant Murray, Elvis... all played there but none are right backs.

Stefan Mahé

Class of 75
1 hour ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Not gonnae argue........ But I'm sure most fans from that era would probably say Locke was a right back/ full back

He was a converted CM, but you are right he was played at RB

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Stefan Mahé

Levein signed Mahe

Class of 75
1 hour ago, Paris 84 said:

Totally agree. Played with him when younger and was a CM. Changed to RB when he was in the first team.

the posh bit
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Levein signed Mahe

Mahe did a decent job for us. 

Class of 75
1 hour ago, naeclue said:

Pre Jeffries. 

3 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

He certainly did for a short period of time . A Levein signing though and LB 

DalryJambo
1 hour ago, Trigger said:

Trust me, I know.

Don't a lot of midfielders who aren't quite good enough to play pro in midfielder become right and left backs? I'm sure Gary Naismith place centre mid for his high school team and hutchie Vale. Might be remembering that incorrectly, but I'm sure he played my age group.

10 minutes ago, briever said:

Wasn't he a LB?

Yes , but since he was mentioned above 👍

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

Don't a lot of midfielders who aren't quite good enough to play pro in midfielder become right and left backs? I'm sure Gary Naismith place centre mid for his high school team and hutchie Vale. Might be remembering that incorrectly, but I'm sure he played my age group.

Naysmith was a RB surely 

2 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

Naysmith was a fantastic fullback and by the time he was a senior player for the national side he was played as an attacking wide player in a LWB or even an LW on occasion . Would not surprise me to find out he played in the middle at high school 

Polonia Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Naysmith was a fantastic fullback and by the time he was a senior player for the national side he was played as an attacking wide player in a LWB or even an LW on occasion . Would not surprise me to find out he played in the middle at high school 

His goal at Celtic park 😳👌🏻

Class of 75
21 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

I think you're right mate. Gary Naismith was a couple of years behind me but played in midfield for the school team. 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Paris 84 said:

Certainly started a RB.

But played a fair spell and was excelling as a CM, where he was fielded at Hampden that day.

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Thomas flogel 

Only player in history you pay to watch make a tackle! Slid in and somehow came out with the ball at his feet in an upright stance amazing to watch!

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

Only player in history you pay to watch make a tackle! Slid in and somehow came out with the ball at his feet in an upright stance amazing to watch!

I always say same.

Knew the true art of a slide tackle. You don't bullet through, you sweep the ball up.

5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Such an all rounder 

Scott Leitch
31 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Naysmith was a RB surely 

LB

Deevers

Had a few good ones in the 60s.  Chris Shevlane, Willie Polland, and Danny Ferguson. 

Hmfc1965
46 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

As a Left Back.

ShedBoy
2 hours ago, naeclue said:

Great player. Was it him that went to Rangers in exchange for £ and steel for the Wheatfield stand?