Roy Keane

Tiro

5 minutes ago, brux said:

We will never know, what we do know is he tried, thought it would be easy, failed, so slagged Scottish football off instead.

He was constantly injured and he knew his best days were behind him. He was also a Dermot Desmond signing, Strachan didn't want him.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir PH

• OTT

• Samuel Camazzola

• Bull's-eye

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jamboozy

We already know what they think of Scottish football down there, we will never be able to prove them wrong as we are architects of our own demise.

For what it’s worth, what Keane, Ferdinand etc think about Hearts and Scottish football isn’t worth bothering about. They do what they do to keep themselves relevant.

TexasAndy

As a player he was exceptional.  The performance in Turin in the 1999 CL semi is up there with best ever individual performances.  By the time he went to Celtic Fergie knew he was finished.  I don't know what Keane wanted but he was no longer good enough for Man U.  It also transpired he was not good enough for the SPL either at that point so I fail to see what the grudge with Fergie is all about.  As a pundit he still holds that grudge so it's hard to take serious anything he says as he always comes across as bitter.  When anyone over the border mentions Scottish football it's just white noise.  It's easy to criticise something you know very little about.   

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Gorgierools said:

Chinese Lecky car?

😂😂

Hearts_fan
1 hour ago, Mister T said:

That's like something a hippy would have said at Woodstock in 1969 😂

:D

Pans Jambo
10 hours ago, luckydug said:

Who needs pundits to talk us down when we have 'fans' like you.

A successful Hearts team can attract big crowds.

This is true. Success breeds success. The more you win, the more ticket and merch you sell. Heaven forbid we actually win this bloody league and you would see every glory hunter in the region suddenly become a Jambo. 

There's thousands of 'fair weather' supporters out there willing to cough up good money to bask in a bit of glory!

That said, a 25/26,000 stadium would be the sweet spot IMO.

Placid Casual

It was meant as a joke ffs.

I did laugh at this bit, until he mentioned us!

I’d recommend this podcast by the way, it’s a great listen.

Edited by Placid Casual

dannymack
11 hours ago, OTT said:

Both Hearts & Hibs in terms of fan base are on a par with most Championship clubs. Christ, if we could expand our stadium we'd be filling it at 30k IMO. 

Condescending punching down comments never come off well. 

Disagree OTT, we have a core which is no where near justifying a 30k stadium. 

Hearts fans are not as worthy as some folk think.

dannymack

Ferdinand teased: "His confidence was dead on the floor" before Keane pointed out: "I was trying to motivate him"

I'll accept that. 

been here before
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I think you need to re-watch his games. 'World-class' is banded about far to easily nowadays but he was exactly that. Easily the best midfielder in the league of his era. He set standards and raised the games of those around him. 

Given he played over 300 games with Paul Scholes, he wasnt even the best midfielder in the Man Utd team of that era.

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, dannymack said:

like every club on earth, our match day support is determined by success.

if we had top international players, won 9 titles in a row and 4 trebles we’d have 40,000 a week easily . Or if we played in the prem against good quality opposition.

we have a real hardcore of about 14/15k. Which stands up well.  Wasn’t all that long ago where rangers and Celtic played in front of sub 15k crowds 

john thomas
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

if we had top international players, won 9 titles in a row and 4 trebles we’d have 40,000 a week easily . Or if we played in the prem against good quality opposition.

we have a real hardcore of about 14/15k. Which stands up well.  Wasn’t all that long ago where rangers and Celtic played in front of sub 15k crowds 

Crowds not always great in the 50s

31 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Honestly, I think that view is nonsense in the most respectful way possible. 

We are in a position where our current stadium is too small for us

We have a season ticket waiting list of somewhere between 7k and 10k

There are fans that do not want a season ticket that also struggle to get walk up tickets

Away fans could get a larger allocation of the Roseburn

We do not need to sell 100% of tickets every game (few teams do)

Increasing capacity increases our ceiling as a club, and gives us room to grow. The habit of going to the football is easily broken and easily fixed. Walk ups fans have struggled to get tickets over the last few years, and we're moving into a position where there is huge demand for the few availible season tickets that aren't renewed each season. 

Ann Budge, her team and the brilliant work of the Foundation have brought a great sense of pride back to the club that I think faded under Romanov, I can still remember c13k being the norm before admin. But this move to being a fan owned club I firmly believe has woken up the fan base at large which is demonstrated by full houses weekly and an unprecedented length of a season ticket waiting list - IIRC this has blown the one from 2005/6 clean out of the water. 

You can also shave off c3,600 seats from the Roseburn as the away end/ for overflow. The question becomes, do you think Hearts could sell c26,400 tickets? Abso-****ing-lutely. All day long. Could around 6,400 out of the c10,000 on our season ticket waiting list take up a season ticket in an expanded Tynie - Easily. 

Mr Rabbit
9 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

It's not exactly something to be bothered about is it? He's making an exaggerated joke to slag Stewart.

Also, folk claiming he wasn't that good are at it. Keane was a brilliant football player.

This for me.

Football fans are far too sensitive. It wasn’t long ago that some on here were wanting him for our manager 😂

He is literally employed to make outlandish comments. Most of which are a load of s****. He said Haaland’s build up play was League Two standard the other night.

RustyRightPeg
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I think you need to re-watch his games. 'World-class' is banded about far to easily nowadays but he was exactly that. Easily the best midfielder in the league of his era. He set standards and raised the games of those around him. 

Yep, this. 

Keane was exceptionally good. 

SectionDJambo
42 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I have a recollection of Rangers playing a couple of home games, in the late 60s or 70s, with a massive 5,000 inside Ibrox. Parkhead wasn't always full either when things started to drift after their 9 in a row. I was there a few times, not that long ago,  when we were given half of the terraces behind the away end goal. 

BigAlim

The perception of Scottish football from down south is never going to change, I’ve had plenty of conversations with folk who support the likes of Watford or Leeds who are utterly perplexed by the concept of me supporting Hearts and are quick to ask if I have an English team.

15 years ago I was in school in Edinburgh with classmates who liked teams like Sunderland and West Ham and didn’t even have a Scottish team. On this very thread you even have actual Hearts fans who are very quick to downplay our stature and standards. 

We’ve got our own thing going here, the opinions are already set in stone and they’re not going to change no matter what we do, how big our crowds are or what standard we reach. 

At the end of the day I’ve been to games in which Hearts weren’t playing and I just couldn’t bring myself to care.

Bull's-eye

I find Keane to be most entertaining. That is what he's being paid for after all.

karipidis

Are people really getting offended by this? If he had just said Hibs we would have all found it hilarious. He was clearly just making a play on the Pub team remark, as I'd imagine he has quite a bit of respect for our teams/league, especially considering he was interested in the Hibs role at one point. 

10 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

It's not exactly something to be bothered about is it? He's making an exaggerated joke to slag Stewart.

Also, folk claiming he wasn't that good are at it. Keane was a brilliant football player.

Hard to believe folk are getting bent of shape about it, it’s clearly a joke!

And Keane was a terrific player. His performance away at Juventus in the CL semi final is up there with the best I’ve ever seen. 

JDK2020
14 hours ago, Tiro said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/michael-stewart-roasted-roy-keane-28939182

How arrogant is this guy?.  He undoubtedly had ability but humility was never one of his strong points, hence the grudge he bears against Sir Alex Ferguson for binning him. He seems to forget that when he turned out for Celtic he played like a  player from a pub team and as Alfie Haaland would testify he made ridiculous tackles like a player from a pub team.

He was phenomenal in his playing career (apart from his spell up here obviously) and that speaks for itself.

However in his career as a pundit he has very much made his bed as an arsehole of the first order and does his utmost to maintain that profile every time he opens his big gob.

JimmyCant
14 hours ago, Gordons left glove said:

He's a prick 

Just another in a long line of ‘edgy’ characters SKY use as football fillers for our entertainment. 

You’ve got grumpy Roy. Gobby Carra. Mica the clown. Emotional wreck Neville and Seriel mysoginist Souness. Not a spec of education or insight between them.

Id rather listen to Walcott or Henry. Guys with a bit of knowledge and nous

chazza74
8 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

He was phenomenal in his playing career (apart from his spell up here obviously) and that speaks for itself.

However in his career as a pundit he has very much made his bed as an arsehole of the first order and does his utmost to maintain that profile every time he opens his big gob.

Phenomenal players don’t go out to deliberately break another player’s leg .

after that incident I lost all respect for the man 

ElGee1973
15 hours ago, Tiro said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/michael-stewart-roasted-roy-keane-28939182

How arrogant is this guy?.  He undoubtedly had ability but humility was never one of his strong points, hence the grudge he bears against Sir Alex Ferguson for binning him. He seems to forget that when he turned out for Celtic he played like a  player from a pub team and as Alfie Haaland would testify he made ridiculous tackles like a player from a pub team.

Said on another fb page that I’m on that he forgets he payed his 1st game against a team not even of pub league level & got pumped in the cup. He also forgets that he played in the game at the end of April that season when we pumped them 3 nil. And we must be a very good pub team this season as we have deservedly beaten them twice this season. An absolute pr!ck of a man that has an opinion on everything including up here that he only played around 10 games. Hardly time to do a pee never mind comment on Scottish football. 

9 minutes ago, Zico said:

Hard to believe folk are getting bent of shape about it, it’s clearly a joke!

And Keane was a terrific player. His performance away at Juventus in the CL semi final is up there with the best I’ve ever seen. 

You are totally missing the point here. Keane is employed by a company which has a commercial arrangement with the SPL and it's participants and yet he is on an open forum making derogatory comments. Not sure of your employment status but I would wager you wouldn't dare make such public comment about a individuals or companies that your employer has a contractual arrangement. Sky should be promoting our game but unfortunately there will be many, including potential sponsors, who will hear these words and be negatively influenced by them.

ElGee1973
13 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Always saw him as a bit overrated. Absolute thug that was made to look better by the players around him.

I’m with you on that one. Scholes was the best midfielder in that United team. 

the posh bit

Keane was a very good player, very poor manager and is an excellent pundit. The Overlap podcast is a good watch. 

28 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Just another in a long line of ‘edgy’ characters SKY use as football fillers for our entertainment. 

You’ve got grumpy Roy. Gobby Carra. Mica the clown. Emotional wreck Neville and Seriel mysoginist Souness. Not a spec of education or insight between them.

Id rather listen to Walcott or Henry. Guys with a bit of knowledge and nous

Souness and Keane have no football knowledge? 

JimmyCant
6 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Souness and Keane have no football knowledge? 

Not what I said if you read carefully

17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Not what I said if you read carefully

What knowledge would you say they are lacking? 

JimmyCant
4 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

What knowledge would you say they are lacking? 

It’s not knowledge they are lacking. It’s the inability to get that knowledge out in an informative analytical unbiased interesting and  listenable manner

I think they are boring and one dimensional and they don’t really hold my interest or tell me anything I didn’t see for

myself 

Edited by JimmyCant

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s not knowledge they are lacking. It’s the inability to get that knowledge out in an informative analytical unbiased interesting and  listenable manner

I think they are boring and one dimensional and they don’t really hold my interest or tell me anything I didn’t see for

myself 

Fair enough. I think they're two of the best pundits we've got. Not afraid to say it how it is, compared to the others who just repeat the same boring clichés, over and over. 

Des Lynam

If he doesn't add Hearts this thread would be very different! 

:lol:

JDK2020
1 hour ago, chazza74 said:

Phenomenal players don’t go out to deliberately break another player’s leg .

after that incident I lost all respect for the man 

Aye, OK, he was rubbish 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, been here before said:

Given he played over 300 games with Paul Scholes, he wasnt even the best midfielder in the Man Utd team of that era.

Worthy of a debate. Scholes the better 'footballer'. Their games complimented each other and made others around them better. Keane could do a bit of everything. 

Bull's-eye
7 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Correct, there would be a clammer for old Roy to attend the semi final and once an for all prove his guid hertz gadgey credentials.

Batistuta87

Not half as bad as I thought it would be. 

Massive overreaction.

Samuel Camazzola

Has anyone checked in on Michael Stewart? After last week's meltdown about the Aberdeen gig, this will have tipped him over the edge! 😂 

spirt of 98
16 hours ago, Tiro said:

He’s a winner and has winners mentality. 

RustyRightPeg

Guys won 17 major trophies under the best Manager of all time but because he had a poor year at the end of his career he wasn't that good. 

**** me. 

15 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Phony hard man.

The plastic paddy has a cheek to belittle Scottish football teams.  

Placid Casual
49 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Exactly! 😄

Bull's-eye

Good thread tbf.

Highlight so far is Alex Polizzi commenting that Theo Walcott is the font of all football knowledge and at the top of the pile in the pundit world  :rofl:

49 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

The plastic paddy has a cheek to belittle Scottish football teams.  

Keane? 

HillmanHearts

Keane was just having a laugh.
Found it quite funny in a “ you cheeky *******”  type way !

And to be fair he was 50% correct !

Edited by HillmanHearts

Turkishcap

Anone else want to have a dig at our game, maybe a lost Amazon tribe or an artic fox or Antartic seal.

Must be interdimentional beings out there with an opinion?

3 hours ago, Tiro said:

You are totally missing the point here. Keane is employed by a company which has a commercial arrangement with the SPL and its participants and yet he is on an open forum making derogatory comments. Not sure of your employment status but I would wager you wouldn't dare make such public comment about an individuals or companies that your employer has a contractual arrangement. Sky should be promoting our game but unfortunately there will be many, including potential sponsors, who will hear these words and be negatively influenced by them.

😂 I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously! 

gorgieheart

Keane is and always had been a wee runt with a big mouth and bad attitude.

Souness put him to bed many times when "punditting"

Playing days... was he a hard man, or just a clogger....clogger !

Alfie Haaland tackle aside, guy always had that in his locker.

Shown up by the bully wee....  guys a throbber !  The End

db211833

Good guy, brilliant on the overlap and a lot of people take him too seriously.