Turning Point

innerjambo

JimmyCant
11 hours ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

I think we've already been very shrewd getting in Dhanda, Spittal and Penrice. I'm worried if Shankland doesn't sign a new deal and we cannae replace him, he could be the difference between 3rd and average 

Shankland isn’t forever though. Even if he extends he’s going to start diminishing in 2-3 years. Maybe before that because I think he has issues ‘making the weight’ and the older you get the harder that becomes.

We cant cash him in until we have a reasonable option or options to replace the goals (if we want to take a stranglehold on third we’ll have to) At the moment we don’t have that option. We’ll need to find it this summer or next to have 3rd nailed down season after season, and every 2-3 years we’ll need to find it again. Same with all the key positions.

Robbo-Jambo
11 hours ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

I think we've already been very shrewd getting in Dhanda, Spittal and Penrice. I'm worried if Shankland doesn't sign a new deal and we cannae replace him, he could be the difference between 3rd and average 

Yeah they are decent signings but would hope a few real quality signings arrive in the summer.

Heartsofgold
6 minutes ago, busbyfth said:

"community" pitch is land owned by the distillery which is ultimately owned by Diageo/Edrington Group so little chance of buying a large plot. (they let the local community use it for very well meant/kind PR purposes) Re the tanks being restrictive - dont give up hope, as just a few years ago the thought of flats being built where the old Tynie school is was purely fantasy, (as severe restrictions were in place due to a number of safety things including the tanks) but after careful negotiations thats exactly whats now been passed by the council/HSE/parties concerned.,,,,,,,so all bets arent off, 👍 as flats are now the order of the day.

Yeah but, and this sounds callous so I apologise upfront, if there was a major incident on a match day with those tanks then you are looking at a mass casualty event that puts the World Trade Center death toll way down the list.  Those tanks going up would create a bleve event that would engulf most of the stadium very quickly.  On a non-match day then the loss of life (while horrendous) would be a lot smaller.  Sorry to be so negative but that's the facts that the H & S Committee would look at before granting a major expansion application to a stadium event.

Cruickie's Moustache
51 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

I don't but it might 😂 We have signed umpteen players who had shown promise but as soon as they got to Hearts fell flat.

Hear what you say. But I think Naismith works to a higher standard and won't take any nonesense if anyone isn't putting in the required effort.

He certianly got shot of Snodgrass in double quick time.

I think he has a good idea of the type of players he will want to bring in and it won;t just be based on playing ability.

While the last couple of results have seen us drop off in form a bit,  we do seem to have a happy squad even with all the rotations and injuries.

You can see it on the players faces.

Just wish Tagawa could somehow show us what he has and make the step up to the level we were looking for when we bought him.

Ricardo Quaresma
3 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I agree. 

Unsure how viable it would've been but getting our hands on the school end and making something more of it would've been a massive step. Appears we've missed that boat now. 

We can't go out the way, a shrewd architect would suss it out. Maybe we go down the way?

A cantilevered stand which juts out high above the buildings to the North would do it; in fact all the way from the Gorgie to the Main; safe and no sunlight issues either

Big 2 tiered job with boxes, could also add a West wing for the Hotel; low to mid 30 thousand capacity; sorted :smuggy:

Polonia Gorgie
21 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Yeah they are decent signings but would hope a few real quality signings arrive in the summer.

I think Dhanda and Spittal are both quality players, both contribute very well to County and Well with goals and assists.

Polonia Gorgie
33 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Shankland isn’t forever though. Even if he extends he’s going to start diminishing in 2-3 years. Maybe before that because I think he has issues ‘making the weight’ and the older you get the harder that becomes.

We cant cash him in until we have a reasonable option or options to replace the goals (if we want to take a stranglehold on third we’ll have to) At the moment we don’t have that option. We’ll need to find it this summer or next to have 3rd nailed down season after season, and every 2-3 years we’ll need to find it again. Same with all the key positions.

I was replying to the OP regarding getting a real foothold over 3rd, for us to dominate 3rd we need Shankland to sign on, if we don't have a 20+ plus striker we could quickly become mediocre in 4th 5th

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

There have been quite a few 'turning points' during the many decades I've supported Hearts.  None were ever permanent or even particularly long lasting. 🥸

But you still feel the real deal is imminent, yes? :greggy:

Remember, Dave, even Del Boy and Rodney literally won a Watch :smuggy:

ETJMQHNAV5FHFPKXQ26OJSGZ3A.jpg&f=1&nofb=

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

But you still feel the real deal is imminent, yes? :greggy:

Remember, Dave, even Del Boy and Rodney literally won a Watch :smuggy:

ETJMQHNAV5FHFPKXQ26OJSGZ3A.jpg&f=1&nofb=

-

We all live in hope. 😄

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, CaptainShanks said:

If it hadn't been for a fall out in the camp last season we would be talking about a third successive third placed finish. We have ran away with it this season as we did in 21/22. And we were miles clear in third last year until Aberdeen went on a ridiculous run of form. We have turned the corner since coming up from the Championship already. 

Aberdeen and Hibs are bankrupting themselves trying to keep up with us.

I believe you got a black eye trying to stop Humps from decking 'Snodric', therefore all 3 of you missed the livi away game :lol:

busbyfth
49 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Yeah but, and this sounds callous so I apologise upfront, if there was a major incident on a match day with those tanks then you are looking at a mass casualty event that puts the World Trade Center death toll way down the list.  Those tanks going up would create a bleve event that would engulf most of the stadium very quickly.  On a non-match day then the loss of life (while horrendous) would be a lot smaller.  Sorry to be so negative but that's the facts that the H & S Committee would look at before granting a major expansion application to a stadium event.

Hi - totally 100% agreed but where the HSE differs with these views, is that they determine folk being awake is better so can leave the area quickly (20k though ?...imagine the stampede !!) compared to any accident happening at night when people living next door are asleep. HSE/Council deems housing as a tier X level - one "worse" than "events", and two or more "worse" than shopping eg supermarkets. Thats why I was pretty surprised that the old school will become a housing estate....only a few years prior, Hearts had to bend over backwards and twist a few arms to get new stands permission, never mind housing .  Mind you - when folk are staying in the hotel thats also "housing" of sorts (sorry re the inverteds, but a number of words are taken upon interpretation)

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

Distillery already agreed to move them years ago and the Council would also prefer them further away, to the North, I would guess, because they're too close to Tynecastle, the old school site and Wheatfield Place residents

Gorgiewave

Almost no teams change their default status. We're 3rd/4th along with Aberdeen.

Between 1976-77 and 1993-94, Aberdeen won three leagues, five Scottish Cups, four League Cups and a Cup Winners' Cup. They also finished 2nd or 3rd a further 10 times. They were then very nearly relegated in 1995 and saved from relegation in 2000 only by reconstruction.

We could be 3rd for the next 18 years and the "gap" wouldn't be any smaller.

Bazzas right boot

Possibly, but we are in a vicious circle.

Any players that elevate us will be sold or leave so it's hard to maintain, never mind improve.

Until we shift our wage cap up a but we will do well to stay 3rd, it's easier for other clubs tonget closer to us than it is for us to stretch away.

Souttar,  Gino and likley Shankland and Beni all recently left.

It's a hard job to replace players with like for like, never mind better.

Penrice,Spittal and Dhanda are great signings imo, but if we lose Shankland,  Beni and. Cochrane then it will be hard to improve and get closer to the OF?

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

What's the cut of tho?

Atm they allow 20k, why not 22 or 24k

20k folk dieing is OK, but 22k is a no no?

It would make sense if it was a new build and refused on safety grounds, but ti say no  the increase in capacity is a head scratcher.

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

I was replying to the OP regarding getting a real foothold over 3rd, for us to dominate 3rd we need Shankland to sign on, if we don't have a 20+ plus striker we could quickly become mediocre in 4th 5th

We've had a good season but we can't get complacent.  Only 5 teams have scored fewer SPFL goals than us, and Shankland accounted for a significant % of ours.  Obviously, if we lose Shankland we have a problem.

Surprisingly, we have conceded fewer goals than anyone outside the OF, despite our problems at RB.  

I'm sure Joe Savage and others are aware of these statistics and will address our deficiencies, which should see us finish 3rd again next year.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

We finished 3rd without Shankland the season before last.

By a distance. 

JimmyCant
3 hours ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

We’ve done okay quite a few seasons before we had Shankland. And in one of the two seasons we’ve had him we finished mediocre 4th.

Its not him you have to replace, either this summer or whenever it happens. It’s the goals you need to replace. If you can’t replace him with one player (which we probably won’t be able to) then you have to sign 2 who can get to Shankland type numbers between  them

Edited by JimmyCant

fabienleclerq
4 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

All I read from that is maybe they shouldn't be allowed such tanks in such a built up area.

johnking123
4 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

Ethanol does not work the same way as Aviation fuel. Aviation fuel having a lot more energetic reaction than Ethanol. It is more to do with it leaking and the fire it would cause. That's why we built a wall round the tanks, same time rebuilt main stand.

Ricardo Quaresma
22 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

All I read from that is maybe they shouldn't be allowed such tanks in such a built up area.

They installed them at the time because the Law was very soon to prevent the installation and it can't be done now, but they can be relocated to a safer area on the site 👍

Daveandal

I think Spittal has been involved in the 2nd most amount of goals this season. Behind Shankland. He is, on paper a very sensible signing. Dhanda has played at a higher level than Ross County and been fine. They are good signings. 

The next level (bar increasing capacity which is a must but also near impossible) is coming 3rd while playing in Europe. We've never been in Europe 3 years in a row... we are ticking that off this year... next let's make 3rd ours.

CaptainShanks
On 04/04/2024 at 14:18, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I believe you got a black eye trying to stop Humps from decking 'Snodric', therefore all 3 of you missed the livi away game :lol:

😂😂 Snodric has landed lucky getting a gig as a pundit. 

Ricardo Quaresma
2 minutes ago, CaptainShanks said:

😂😂 Snodric has landed lucky getting a gig as a pundit. 

I saw that, yes; as long as he keeps his nose clean regarding Hearts, that's fine

Is he any good as a pundit?

CaptainShanks
3 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I saw that, yes; as long as he keeps his nose clean regarding Hearts, that's fine

Is he any good as a pundit?

Can't recall him having said anything about the circumstances of his departure as yet. Happy to be proved wrong. 

He was complimentary of Shanks but thought Kelly should go to the Euros ahead of Gordon 😭

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, CaptainShanks said:

Can't recall him having said anything about the circumstances of his departure as yet. Happy to be proved wrong. 

He was complimentary of Shanks but thought Kelly should go to the Euros ahead of Gordon 😭

Just 'cos he's finished doesn't mean Craig Gordon is; nowhere near it, different class of player 👍

Jambo61
On 04/04/2024 at 09:55, johnking123 said:

Our finances have improved massively.  Should be getting over £20 million without cash from Europe or benefactors.  Next stage is to try getting over £30 million without help eventually. Upping capacity will be hard. But is next turning point in my eyes. This also means we doing well playing side of things.

Fill in the corners with hospitality types (must be an easier option), releases more seats for seasons, get a 'McDonalds' type deal in the Gorgie stand trading 24/7 but with hatches for matchday service...job done!