Bottom.

Dawnrazor

westbow

Saw Rick Mayal at the Playhouse in 1984 supported by the then unknown (as a standup) Ben Elton. 

JDK2020
On 03/04/2024 at 23:13, Cade said:

The music bits in The Young Ones were so they could classify the show as "Variety" instead of "Comedy" and get a bigger budget and longer running times.

Smart.

And Sayle was brought on to remind us just how good the rest were in comparison. 

Cranston

Loved The Young Ones. They were all fabulous at their parts in it. Neil the Hippy was different class. Bottom was good too in its own way.

Just watched the episode of Bottom when Eddie and Rich go camping, I must have watched it loads but I still howl with laughter at it.......brilliant....😂😂

Auld Reekin'
On 04/04/2024 at 15:00, PortyJambo said:

Even though it's been a few years since Bottom and The Young Ones, I still find it strange seeing Ade Edmondson playing straight roles in dramas, which he's been in quite a few of. He even popped up in the new Netflix show, 3 Body Problem. Keep expecting him to break into one of his characters from earlier in his career!

Edmondson is actually very good in straight, dramatic, roles: in particular, he does "deeply sinister" worryingly well... :ermm:

5 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

And Sayle was brought on to remind us just how good the rest were in comparison. 

Alexei Sayle did some very clever and extremely funny sketches in solo series such as 'Alexei Sayles' Stuff'. Clearly, he didn't / doesn't appeal to everyone though.

crunchy frog
8 hours ago, westbow said:

Saw Rick Mayal at the Playhouse in 1984 supported by the then unknown (as a standup) Ben Elton. 

I went to that. I seem to remember it finishing really late for a playhouse gig.

the posh bit
1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Edmondson is actually very good in straight, dramatic, roles: in particular, he does "deeply sinister" worryingly well... :ermm:

Alexei Sayle did some very clever and extremely funny sketches in solo series such as 'Alexei Sayles' Stuff'. Clearly, he didn't / doesn't appeal to everyone though.

I watched an interview with AS recently and he 100% credits himself for 'alternative comedy' becoming mainstream. 

Салатные палочки
7 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Also gave us the excellent Radical Posture with Dr Martens Boots. 

Konrad von Carstein

Really sad to read that RM was hitting the alcohol and that his relationship with AE had broken down...

Watched a few live Bottom shows on YouTube, absolutely hilarious stuff.

JDK2020
2 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

He was a BBC favourite, of that there's no doubt, I just found his humour, and even the delivery of it, too much like hard work. 

JDK2020
1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

I watched an interview with AS recently and he 100% credits himself for 'alternative comedy' becoming mainstream. 

He was misquoted, I'm sure he said he was an alternative to comedy.

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, JDK2020 said:

He was misquoted, I'm sure he said he was an alternative to comedy.

:lol:

westbow
15 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

I went to that. I seem to remember it finishing really late for a playhouse gig.

Mists of time mate 🤷🏻‍♂️ , I do remember he morphed from Kevin Turvey into Rick from the Young Ones on stage to huge cheers, well it was the reason everyone bought a ticket.

Also remember some sneery student saying “god, its full of 15 year olds” which me and my pals were.

Placid Casual
On 04/04/2024 at 00:42, westbow said:

Ade Edmondson’s autobiography is a good read if you were into The Young Ones, Filthy Rich and Catflap, Bottom, etc. It is actually quite sad reading about the deterioration of his and Rik Mayal’s relationship. RM became a heavy drinker and just wanted to keep touring with Bottom years after the BBC had cancelled the series. Ade wanted to move on but felt emotionally blackmailed into doing a last tour which was apparently pretty awful.  They had huge arguments, drifted apart and never worked together again.

I’d also recommend listening to Ade on Desert Island Discs - very moving.

Thanks, listened to this yesterday. It is moving, Ade gets very emotional. He comes across as a really good bloke.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001qlz2

Edited by Placid Casual