Bottom.

Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor

It's on now on GOLD, 110 on Sky.

What a fantastic comedy duo Ade Edmondson and Rik Mayall were.

Absolutely loved this back in the day. Rik Mayall was a funny guy and appeared to be a top bloke in real life too. 

Polonia Gorgie

Do your balls hang low?

Can you swing them to and fro?

Can you tie them in a knot? Can you tie them in a bow?

Cause you'll never be a sailor if your balls hang low!!

Dawnrazor
5 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Absolutely loved this back in the day. Rik Mayall was a funny guy and appeared to be a top bloke in real life too. 

I've not watched Bottom for years and years, I put it on last night and oh my God, proper belly laughs like I've not had for God knows how long (and I really needed a few laughs over the last week) but it was a reminder of their talent, here's hoping Filthy Rich & Catflap is shown to.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've not watched Bottom for years and years, I put it on last night and oh my God, proper belly laughs like I've not had for God knows how long (and I really needed a few laughs over the last week) but it was a reminder of their talent, here's hoping Filthy Rich & Catflap is shown to.

At school I used to piss everyone off by quoting lines from Bottom. Don't think I ever watched Filthy Rich and Catflap. I remember not being too bothered about the young ones but still had funny bits

Greedy Jambo

We really are in the end times, nothing is as good as it used to be, tv series, music, computer games. 

The TV license has gone up again, and people are still paying for it, it makes no sense. 

Dawnrazor
4 minutes ago, Hansel said:

At school I used to piss everyone off by quoting lines from Bottom. Don't think I ever watched Filthy Rich and Catflap. I remember not being too bothered about the young ones but still had funny bits

When I was at school, The Young Ones and Spitting Image was the talk every week, Bottom and Filthy, Rich & Catflap are criminally underrated and under watched.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

When I was at school, The Young Ones and Spitting Image was the talk every week, Bottom and Filthy, Rich & Catflap are criminally underrated and under watched.

I'll need to give filthy rich a go. Think my brother has it on DVD. 

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Hansel said:

The gasman episode was one of the best

It was on last night with Brian Glover 🤣🤣

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Hansel said:

I'll need to give filthy rich a go. Think my brother has it on DVD. 

Both were over shadowed by The Young Ones, maybe understandable, but both are stand alone comedy classics.

been here before

Loved Rik Mayall

Kevin Turvey was a very early and entertaining precursor to Rik in the Young Ones

Young Ones and Bottom are classics. Ade Edmondsons character in Bottom, Eddie Hitler, I thought was much funnier than Mayalls. I could probably quote them word for word even now.

Filthy, Rich and Catflap and Guest House Paradiso less so. Drop Dead Fred was ****in awful.

The New Statesman was wholly believable at a time when you knew thats exactly how Tory MPs behaved and his wife in the series was milfy before milfs were a thing 😀

Flashheart was an absolute ****in collosus when he first burst onto screen.

No doubt others will cover the 'best of' their favourites but for me one of the most enjoyable things I saw him in was his acceptance speech when he was awarded an Hon Doctorate. The full thing last about 10 mins and is on You Tube but the last few minute are advice to pass into anyone...

Edited by been here before

Rick Mayall was a comic genius......Bottom is hilarious....brilliant, the chess episode is one of my favourite.

Edited by micole

Der Kaiser

One of my comedy idols.

I think if he had to break the news to me my family had been captured by mexican drug cartels and beheaded......coming from him I think I'd somehow find it funny.

54 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

The nativity episode was superb.

All Gold....Frankenstein...and Grrr....and I'm a virgin!!!

the posh bit
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

See the 30 minutes before Spitting Image came on? Never wait for anything like that now. 😕

The Young Ones was class as well but the Alexi Sayle and music segments used to do my nut in. 

Polonia Gorgie
1 hour ago, Pete Elliott said:

The nativity episode was superb.

My favourite 

been here before
1 minute ago, the posh bit said:

See the 30 minutes before Spitting Image came on? Never wait for anything like that now. 😕

The Young Ones was class as well but the Alexi Sayle and music segments used to do my nut in. 

Some of the music bits were quite good. Madness were in it a couple of times I think, Motorhead playing the Ace of Spades during the part in Bambi in the train station and The Damned playing Nasty.

Alexi Sayle was, and remains to this day, shite.

The music bits in The Young Ones were so they could classify the show as "Variety" instead of "Comedy" and get a bigger budget and longer running times.

Smart.

Dawnrazor
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

Madness were in it a couple of times I think, Motorhead playing the Ace of Spades during the part in Bambi in the train station and The Damned playing Nasty.

That was the 3 that sprung to mind, but, the "Amazulu......is that right pal.......an a Glaswegian" was a belter!

westbow

They originally wanted to call Bottom “My Bottom” so the BBC announcer would have to introduce it as such. 😀 

Ade Edmondson’s autobiography is a good read if you were into The Young Ones, Filthy Rich and Catflap, Bottom, etc. It is actually quite sad reading about the deterioration of his and Rik Mayal’s relationship. RM became a heavy drinker and just wanted to keep touring with Bottom years after the BBC had cancelled the series. Ade wanted to move on but felt emotionally blackmailed into doing a last tour which was apparently pretty awful.  They had huge arguments, drifted apart and never worked together again.

I’d also recommend listening to Ade on Desert Island Discs - very moving.

the posh bit
8 hours ago, been here before said:

Some of the music bits were quite good. Madness were in it a couple of times I think, Motorhead playing the Ace of Spades during the part in Bambi in the train station and The Damned playing Nasty.

The Bambi episode was brilliantly funny 😁

lost in space

Brilliant comedy. 

I went to see the stage version at the Playhouse. In 2 different stage sets - 1 good, 1 not so good.

In the better one - a drunk member of audience is giving Rik a hard time and 2 Police arrest the heckler (all staged of course...... I think!!).

Rik shouts out after him - " you Scottish ******** are all the ******* same" (or similar) - which brought a threatening "oooohhhh" from the whole audience.  Ade goes over and whispers in Riks ear (presumably "we are in Scotland") - to which Rik turns into the sycophantic version of himself "Ive always loved Scotland of course......."  Hilarious 

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

never heard of it.

If you like slap stick, comedy violence and all round immaturity, which I do,  it's bloody great.

Isn't there some mad conspiracy theory about Rik Mayall's death?

Like he was gonna unveil some sordid bbc pedo stuff and was silenced. Same as Jill Dando.

westbow
4 minutes ago, Hansel said:

If you like slap stick, comedy violence and all round immaturity, which I do,  it's bloody great.

Isn't there some mad conspiracy theory about Rik Mayall's death?

Like he was gonna unveil some sordid bbc pedo stuff and was silenced. Same as Jill Dando.

Same happened to entire cast of Dads Army- they knew too much.

trotter
5 hours ago, the posh bit said:

The Bambi episode was brilliantly funny 😁

Absolutely brilliant show. But for me I preferred The Young Ones, although it is a tough choice. I've genuinely got a personalized plate for my Viper here 'Vyvyan' based on her similarities to Edmonson's character- i.e. loud, obnoxious and antisocial 😁

For me the best quote was him saying, 'this situation calls for a delicate balance of psychology and extreme violence' 😅😅

Edited by trotter

Debut 4
14 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

That was the 3 that sprung to mind, but, the "Amazulu......is that right pal.......an a Glaswegian" was a belter!

The hamster sticks the heid on the teddy bear in the Bambi episode and it had to have an angry Scottish accent 😂

The spin off film was good too. Guesthouse Paridiso I think it was called.

Great show though. 

PortyJambo

Even though it's been a few years since Bottom and The Young Ones, I still find it strange seeing Ade Edmondson playing straight roles in dramas, which he's been in quite a few of. He even popped up in the new Netflix show, 3 Body Problem. Keep expecting him to break into one of his characters from earlier in his career!

martoon

People hitting each other with frying pans is timeless, top notch comedy.

crunchy frog

As a series it was pretty pish but this episode is ****ing hilarious !

redjambo
22 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We really are in the end times, nothing is as good as it used to be, tv series, music, computer games. 

The TV license has gone up again, and people are still paying for it, it makes no sense. 

I was always expected that End Times would involve things like earthquakes, tornados, meteorites, plagues of locusts etc. I didn't realise it would be heralded by the TV licence going up. Disappointing.

redjambo
20 hours ago, been here before said:

Here's a list of said bands.

https://the-bottom.fandom.com/wiki/The_Young_Ones_Guest_Musicians

That thing you do
22 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's on now on GOLD, 110 on Sky.

What a fantastic comedy duo Ade Edmondson and Rik Mayall were.

Bottom was brilliant.

Greedy Jambo
24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I was always expected that End Times would involve things like earthquakes, tornados, meteorites, plagues of locusts etc. I didn't realise it would be heralded by the TV licence going up. Disappointing.

We've already had that, Covid is your plague, wildfires and floods, and the locusts are the Torrie party. 

WW3 is not far off. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Gershwin

I remember vividly watching the first episode when I was 10. Not sure I should have been watching but glad I did. It properly shaped my taste in comedy. 

Not sure if it's the same episode but I always think of Sad Ken, the 3-legged horse and Richie/Eddie's attempt to counterfeit some money when I think of Bottom. 

Might have to go and watch them all again now!

Rik Mayall was excellent in Man Down too.

Bottom is brilliant. Watched it regularly when I was younger. I will need to watch them all again. The episode when they are camping in Wimbledon common was so funny, as was the one when they are stuck on the ferris wheel.

The Comic Strip Presents was genius too.

Gino

The Bullshitters

Fist Full of Travellers Cheques

to name but three.

Dawnrazor
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Gino

The Bullshitters

to name but three.

Indeed, it was a real high point for British comedy, it was great having mates at high school that got it, it was at that time a lot of us were sort o getting an identity and the comedy and band's you were into was a big part of it.

been here before
8 minutes ago, Boris said:

Gino

The Bullshitters

to name but three.

The Bullshitters was great. One of the few things I can watch with Keith Allen in it... "cover me..." :lol:

Five Go Mad In Dorset and the one where Robbie Coltrane playing Al Pacino playing Scargill and Dawn French playing Meryl Streep playing Thatcher. Strike I think it was called.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Indeed, it was a real high point for British comedy, it was great having mates at high school that got it, it was at that time a lot of us were sort o getting an identity and the comedy and band's you were into was a big part of it.

Yip, totally get what you're saying.

Part of our culture I guess

1 minute ago, been here before said:

The Bullshitters was great. One of the few things I can watch with Keith Allen in it... "cover me..." :lol:

Five Go Mad In Dorset and the one where Robbie Coltrane playing Al Pacino playing Scargill and Dawn French playing Meryl Streep playing Thatcher. Strike I think it was called.

Peter Richardson woefully underrated imo