Third place

Batistuta87

been here before

Ach **** it, why not...  :Robbie:

King Cosell 12:14 AM 02-02-2024
Right, hear me out. The gap is 16pts, we don't lose any ground over the next 3 games, Hearts have got Rangers (a) & Celtic (h) either side of the derby, if we can beat them it could be 3 straight defeats for them. We've got Dundee (h) & Ross County (h), then our game in hand against Ross County (a).

Hearts LLL - 0pts
Hibs WWWW - 12pts

The momentum is now with us, with 9 games remaining, and the last derby's at ER.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• jamborich

• FarmerTweedy

• Mikey1874

jamborich

Aberdeen winning the cup costs us millions not saying they will but worth considering 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, jamborich said:

Aberdeen winning the cup costs us millions not saying they will but worth considering 

want Aberdeen pumped out at the earliest opportunity. Would be horrendous if they qualified for Europe at our expense.

+ we owe Celtic one in a final.

Nobreath
On 30/03/2024 at 19:31, Go for it 1308 said:

default_ooh_matron2.png

😄

Ex member of the SaS
16 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Let’s be honest, we struggle against everyone in the league just about every game.  Bizarrely two of our easiest / biggest wins have been against Celtic this season, along with a couple of 2-0s against Aberdeen too.  A lot of fans seem to have an unrealistic perception of us being a lot better than we actually are. 

Carful now the PHM will be calling you a Hobbit next. Been saying for a long time now we are not that great, this possession football is killing us. The stats look good possession wise, but that is not scoring goals. YES we are third and well done but if everyone was completely honest they would agree we have scraped by in a lot of games with Shanks pulling us out the fire. Confident we will get third and once Aberdeen are out the cup we will be in the group stages 100%

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, jamborich said:

Why's it worth considering? 

gordon simpson
On 30/03/2024 at 18:29, Batistuta87 said:

We're dropping a few too many points for my liking and I'm getting a bit worried that we're making this a lot more difficult than it should be.

We still confident??? 

should this not be posted on .net

jimbojambo

A mixed bag on Saturday as first 30 minutes we played like in the Celtic game and bossed it. Fizzled out after that and a draw was fair and acceptable. Last session ended badly and carried through to the start of this season so it's important to finish on a high and take into Europe in August 👍

briever
Just now, jimbojambo said:

A mixed bag on Saturday as first 30 minutes we played like in the Celtic game and bossed it. Fizzled out after that and a draw was fair and acceptable. Last session ended badly and carried through to the start of this season so it's important to finish on a high and take into Europe in August 👍

We need to be addressing why we fall out of games to markedly - we need more leaders on the field.

pettigrewsstylist
36 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Carful now the PHM will be calling you a Hobbit next. Been saying for a long time now we are not that great, this possession football is killing us. The stats look good possession wise, but that is not scoring goals. YES we are third and well done but if everyone was completely honest they would agree we have scraped by in a lot of games with Shanks pulling us out the fire. Confident we will get third and once Aberdeen are out the cup we will be in the group stages 100%

Tbh, its staring us in the face everytime Shankland doesnt score. The continued, now chronic, achilles heel at RB undoing us, just compounds the issue.

3 minutes ago, briever said:

We need to be addressing why we fall out of games to markedly - we need more leaders on the field.

Yep. In Zander, Kent & Shankland we have leaders on the field. Outside of that, we don't. 

A lot of the same players that fell apart last season. Would really like a midfielder that will grab the game by the scruff of the neck. 

jock _turd
16 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Let’s be honest, we struggle against everyone in the league just about every game.  Bizarrely two of our easiest / biggest wins have been against Celtic this season, along with a couple of 2-0s against Aberdeen too.  A lot of fans seem to have an unrealistic perception of us being a lot better than we actually are. 

I have to say that you are right. We have done well to win away from home BUT when you look at our home form you get a better picture of where we are. It is not something I like to say but watching us at home is more often than not soul destroyingly boring. Even on Saturday we started the game well and then just went back into our shell and played the same old guff we have been playing since RN left. I honestly do not think we are a better team to watch now than we were when RN was at the helm. Yes we have managed to win more games but the football is largely the same turgid knocking the ball back and forward between defenders and midfielders over a distance of 5 to 10 meters . The team desparately needs two or three inventive players and when Shanks leaves, it is just when he will move, where are we going to get goals from? There are not three players together who can make up his tally! You do not want to be too scathing because it looks very much like third and a top Euro slot and other than the OF every other team in the SPL would be over the moon with that seasons work. It is not about a Hibsesque demand for flair over winning but more about being entertained while winning.

The Goalscoring Knee
49 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Been saying for a long time now we are not that great, this possession football is killing us

This possession-based football has won us 17 out of 25 games since the start of November, a run where we have only lost to three teams. We don't do that very often, tbf.

8 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

We have done well to win away from home BUT when you look at our home form you get a better picture of where we are. It is not something I like to say but watching us at home is more often than not soul destroyingly boring. Even on Saturday we started the game well and then just went back into our shell and played the same old guff we have been playing since RN left.

A better picture of where we are is the two added together - that's why we're 11 points clear in third with only seven games left. Maybe I'm easy to please but I didn't think we went back into our shell on Saturday at all, and the game certainly didn't fall into the catergory of soul-destroyingly boring, at one point in the second half (ironically just before KIllie scored) it seemed like the whole stadium was bouncing so we must be doing something right.

I don't profess to understand all the nuts and bolts but if Hearts win, I'm happy.

17 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Hard to disagree with this. We really need to find another level esp in the semi final....HHGH!!

4 minutes ago, micole said:

Hard to disagree with this. We really need to find another level esp in the semi final....HHGH!!

Is it ? We are 11 points clear, I’m not sure where the struggling against the rest fits in. Unless you’re starting from a delusional view point we’re doing okay. We have not right to win every game and certainly not win easily. On that basis we’re hardly struggling against the rest. 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Is it ? We are 11 points clear, I’m not sure where the struggling against the rest fits in. Unless you’re starting from a delusional view point we’re doing okay. We have not right to win every game and certainly not win easily. On that basis we’re hardly struggling against the rest. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we should breeze it against opposition outwith the OF but I just feel at times we make heavy weather of things when we are clearly on top of other teams. This is just how I see things and obviously you see it differently.  This is not a criticism and I am pleased at where we are but, as I said we will have to find another gear to beat the huns.....HHGH!!.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I doubt many people factored in, on Saturday, Kilmarnocks entire team had 2 weeks of rest and preparation, we had a day.

upgotheheads
44 minutes ago, micole said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we should breeze it against opposition outwith the OF but I just feel at times we make heavy weather of things when we are clearly on top of other teams. This is just how I see things and obviously you see it differently.  This is not a criticism and I am pleased at where we are but, as I said we will have to find another gear to beat the huns.....HHGH!!.

Kilmarnock are fourth, we are third. Killie came back from two goals down to beat St Mirren 5-2 a couple of weeks ago. Killie are a good side, but they had to win on Saturday, and didn't. Third place is done and dusted to all intents and purposes. Saturday was a good game I thought, as it should have been between third and fourth..

HopeDiouf
42 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I doubt many people factored in, on Saturday, Kilmarnocks entire team had 2 weeks of rest and preparation, we had a day.

Yep. Definitely a factor.

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Kilmarnock are fourth, we are third. Killie came back from two goals down to beat St Mirren 5-2 a couple of weeks ago. Killie are a good side, but they had to win on Saturday, and didn't. Third place is done and dusted to all intents and purposes. Saturday was a good game I thought, as it should have been between third and fourth..

Yup I enjoyed the game ( bit frustrating at times 😀)....but as I have said a draw was a fair result.

Fozzyonthefence
51 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

How do you work that one out?  Most of our squad was well rested and wasn’t away on international duty and of the 3 that were with Scotland 2 of them were keepers who didn’t play and Shanks got just 15 minutes but the game on Tuesday was in Glasgow so that wasn’t a factor for any of them, just like having a midweek game for Hearts but not actually playing.  None of Kent, Kingsley, Cochrane, Beni, Forrest, Grant were away and none of the Aussies started (not sure any of them would have anyway).

That’s a really feeble excuse that I’d expect from Neilson!

FarmerTweedy
38 minutes ago, micole said:

I agree with the bit in bold, with the key words being "at times".  There are spells in nearly all of our games where we cause the opposition all sorts of problems (but probably don't score quite enough goals), but there are also spells in nearly all of our games where, despite having plenty of possession, and spending a lot of time in the opposition's half and around their penalty box, we look like we could play for hours without scoring.

The main problem in the latter periods IMO is that we lack creative midfielders with that bit of vision or guile to see or play the sort of killer passes that create really good chances to score. Defences sit in deep and as we struggle to cut them open, our confidence drains and theirs builds, and it gets gradually more difficult.  The only player I think we've got just now who can play the sort of passes required in these situations with any consistency is Barrie McKay, who has missed most of the season through injury. Grant manages it occasionally but not very often. The good news is that with Dhanda signed for next season, we should be better off in this respect, and I think Spittal could help a bit here too.

In the former periods, where we cause problems but don't score quite enough, I think the main problem is that while Shankland is obviously a goal machine, and Vargas has shown he can score at least fairly regularly too, we've got a real lack of scoring threat from midfielders/wide players. Calem, before his recent injury, was starting to look like he may well be able to contribute a good few goals per season, but there's nobody else other than maybe Oda (who doesn't play a lot but actually has a pretty good goals to minutes played ratio) who looks remotely capable of chipping in a few goals per season. The good news again is that Dhanda, and probably even more so Spittal in this regard, look like they should be capable of helping out in this regard next season. 

Another issue we could do with addressing is set piece deliveries. Obviously, we have an excellent threat in Kingsley for direct free kicks, but for other free kicks being played into the box, and corners, the balls in are too often very poor and easy to defend against.  We need to improve here too!

All in all, the reality is we're doing pretty well, but there's a lot of scope for improvement and we need to achieve that. Steps have already been taken to address this, and surely more will be taken too. Time will tell if those steps are effective! 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I thought it was pretty obvious to be honest but it was about the actual games on a game by game basis.  Even many games we’ve won have been a struggle, we only win by 1 or 2 goals because we’re not a team capable of turning teams over and even when winning we often don’t look much better than the opposition and having to come from behind to win which is a good trait to have.  I’m hoping and think this will change next season when Naismith has his own team.

It’s a bit bizarre though that a team pissing 3rd place has a biggest winning margin of 2-0 (I can’t remember a season like that for us).  We’re efficient but not great to watch. 

This will go down as a good season / job done type of season though (or even a great season if the very unlikely happens in the cup). 

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I agree with the bit in bold, with the key words being "at times".  There are spells in nearly all of our games where we cause the opposition all sorts of problems (but probably don't score quite enough goals), but there are also spells in nearly all of our games where, despite having plenty of possession, and spending a lot of time in the opposition's half and around their penalty box, we look like we could play for hours without scoring.

The main problem in the latter periods IMO is that we lack creative midfielders with that bit of vision or guile to see or play the sort of killer passes that create really good chances to score. Defences sit in deep and as we struggle to cut them open, our confidence drains and theirs builds, and it gets gradually more difficult.  The only player I think we've got just now who can play the sort of passes required in these situations with any consistency is Barrie McKay, who has missed most of the season through injury. Grant manages it occasionally but not very often. The good news is that with Dhanda signed for next season, we should be better off in this respect, and I think Spittal could help a bit here too.

In the former periods, where we cause problems but don't score quite enough, I think the main problem is that while Shankland is obviously a goal machine, and Vargas has shown he can score at least fairly regularly too, we've got a real lack of scoring threat from midfielders/wide players. Calem, before his recent injury, was starting to look like he may well be able to contribute a good few goals per season, but there's nobody else other than maybe Oda (who doesn't play a lot but actually has a pretty good goals to minutes played ratio) who looks remotely capable of chipping in a few goals per season. The good news again is that Dhanda, and probably even more so Spittal in this regard, look like they should be capable of helping out in this regard next season. 

Another issue we could do with addressing is set piece deliveries. Obviously, we have an excellent threat in Kingsley for direct free kicks, but for other free kicks being played into the box, and corners, the balls in are too often very poor and easy to defend against.  We need to improve here too!

All in all, the reality is we're doing pretty well, but there's a lot of scope for improvement and we need to achieve that. Steps have already been taken to address this, and surely more will be taken too. Time will tell if those steps are effective! 

A good summary.👍

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Yup, Naismith brought up that quite a few players did not have their first training session after international football till Friday. Which meant they had very little time to relay a large amount of information on these players. Add in players are tired from travelling thousands of miles.

I do think this Saturday's game will be different. The full team has time to prepare properly, Kent and McKay are going to have better match fitness. Nieuwenhof will be back for this game.

section s heart
12 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The main problem in the latter periods IMO is that we lack creative midfielders with that bit of vision or guile to see or play the sort of killer passes that create really good chances to score.

We are short in this department, but I'd be optimistic that with Dhanda Spittal McKay and Nieuwenhof, we'll have more options next season.

The other part of killer passes is players making intelligent runs to receive them, something we need to keep working on. 

All said, the game isn't easy these days if opposition decide to park the bus. I'd like to see us mix things up a bit, with some crosses pinged into the box or shots from distance/ angles. It's often more about the second ball or the unexpected deflection which creates a chance for somebody, and it can unsettle opposing defences.

Ex member of the SaS
3 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

This possession-based football has won us 17 out of 25 games since the start of November, a run where we have only lost to three teams. We don't do that very often, tbf.

A better picture of where we are is the two added together - that's why we're 11 points clear in third with only seven games left. Maybe I'm easy to please but I didn't think we went back into our shell on Saturday at all, and the game certainly didn't fall into the catergory of soul-destroyingly boring, at one point in the second half (ironically just before KIllie scored) it seemed like the whole stadium was bouncing so we must be doing something right.

I don't profess to understand all the nuts and bolts but if Hearts win, I'm happy.

Your comment is bollox, you or anyone else can't claim possession football won any game by any team. We COULD have won and scored more by attacking more, on the other hand we could have lost more. However attacking fast flowing football gets the fans on their feet supporting the team while slow turgid possession football is boring and a turn off.

No one knows how games would change but I know what style of football I prefer to watch. The examples suggested earlier about Tait making runs shows how we could have put more crosses into the box and POSSIBLY scored more goals, Instead we get backward passes and quite often lose possession causing a panic at the back. Because the other teams are not scoring doesn't mean the fans don't dread when they attack after a feck up in mid field.

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

Rampant
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

How do you work that one out?  Most of our squad was well rested and wasn’t away on international duty and of the 3 that were with Scotland 2 of them were keepers who didn’t play and Shanks got just 15 minutes but the game on Tuesday was in Glasgow so that wasn’t a factor for any of them, just like having a midweek game for Hearts but not actually playing.  None of Kent, Kingsley, Cochrane, Beni, Forrest, Grant were away and none of the Aussies started (not sure any of them would have anyway).

It's not just about game time when players are away on International duty.  Key word being 'away'.  

Those players who are away from the club during the international window are missing out on valuable time spent on analysis and tactics.  The players who remain with the club during the international window are missing out from putting those tactics and analysis into practice with a core of the first team that will be playing with them on the Saturday.

If you don't think any of that work on analysis is necessary, then we may as well do away with a management team altogether?  Wasted wages when all we need to do is put 11 fit players on the pitch and they should be expected to beat the next best team in the league.

PapaShango

I'm sure we had 10 players away. Its not all about the minutes they play, Vargas for example was across in America and travelled back Wednesday, that will take it out of you. Aussie boys probably the same. The preparation time for the management with the players is extremely limited and it has to be a factor. On top of that Killie aren't any mugs, we go 2-0 up early I think the game is done but we lose a poor goal from our point of view and never really looked like winning it. Big 3 games coming up, win all 3 and we will be in a cup final and 3rd sewn up. Massive period in the season and Naismith will be well aware of this. As much as winning on Saturday probably seals 3rd, it was probably more important we didn't lose it in the end. 

wavydavy
6 minutes ago, Rampant said:

It's not just about game time when players are away on International duty.  Key word being 'away'.  

Those players who are away from the club during the international window are missing out on valuable time spent on analysis and tactics.  The players who remain with the club during the international window are missing out from putting those tactics and analysis into practice with a core of the first team that will be playing with them on the Saturday.

If you don't think any of that work on analysis is necessary, then we may as well do away with a management team altogether?  Wasted wages when all we need to do is put 11 fit players on the pitch and they should be expected to beat the next best team in the league.

I take your point however it's not as if we haven't played Killie so far this season. I think they are failry predictable in what they offer and how they are likely to set themselves up.

They are a big side and use the wide areas well and work very hard at their set pieces which is no secret.

If our players are at a level where they are being called up for their National Sides then they should be able to take in some information about our opponents in a relatively short period of time.

Ok I know they are not going to have  a lot of time to work on specifics that they might have wanted to but at the end of the day I think we are just looking for excuses.

Hectormasson
15 hours ago, jamborich said:

tims will smash them, they wont be able to raise game high enough to bother them...

Fozzyonthefence
34 minutes ago, Rampant said:

It’s not like it was the first time they had played together or against Killie.  It was our 31st league game and 4th game against Killie and the majority of the squad were able to train for the 2 weeks plus the 3 on Scotland duty were available from Wednesday.  

When we have a game on the Saturday, how many days analysis / tactics would they normally have when we have had a game on the previous Saturday and Tuesday?  I’m struggling to see how this was much different from a normal sequence of Hearts playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday other than Rowles, Atkinson (who both might not have played anyway) getting back later and maybe Vargas (not sure when he got back but presumably was fresh enough for Naismith to start him). 

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

If we had a couple of midfielders who could rake the onion bag, or at least work the keeper consistently  from 20 yds, then sitting so deep against us becomes less attractive and less likely to succeed.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

The Goalscoring Knee
39 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Your comment is bollox, you or anyone else can't claim possession football won any game by any team.

Wasn't claiming anything of the sort, was quoting you,: your exact phrase was "this possession football is killing us". Apologies if I misunderstood your point. If by us you mean the fans, then fair do's, I can see why some folk might not be thrilled with what they see each week.

If you mean the club, then I'm sorry, but that's a nonsense. 17 wins and three draws in 25 games is a long, long way from "killing us". 

Fozzyonthefence
42 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I'm sure we had 10 players away. Its not all about the minutes they play, Vargas for example was across in America and travelled back Wednesday, that will take it out of you. Aussie boys probably the same. The preparation time for the management with the players is extremely limited and it has to be a factor. On top of that Killie aren't any mugs, we go 2-0 up early I think the game is done but we lose a poor goal from our point of view and never really looked like winning it. Big 3 games coming up, win all 3 and we will be in a cup final and 3rd sewn up. Massive period in the season and Naismith will be well aware of this. As much as winning on Saturday probably seals 3rd, it was probably more important we didn't lose it in the end. 

I thought it was 8 but you might be right.  The two Aussies didn’t play on Saturday anyway and have been in poor form for us so that’s a bit of a moot point as I don’t think they would have played even if they weren’t away.  

I doubt the preparation for this Killie game would have been much different from the previous 3.  They are, however, unfortunately a team we really struggle against at Tynie. Added to the poor run of form we’re on it was always going to be a tough game. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, section s heart said:

We are short in this department, but I'd be optimistic that with Dhanda Spittal McKay and Nieuwenhof, we'll have more options next season.

The other part of killer passes is players making intelligent runs to receive them, something we need to keep working on. 

All said, the game isn't easy these days if opposition decide to park the bus. I'd like to see us mix things up a bit, with some crosses pinged into the box or shots from distance/ angles. It's often more about the second ball or the unexpected deflection which creates a chance for somebody, and it can unsettle opposing defences.

I agree with most of that but Killie didn’t park the bus.  We might have had more possession (as we do in most games outside the OF) but they came and had a go, played with two wingers and created better chances than we did.  We absolutely do struggle against teams that do park the bus though and have really missed McKay in those games. 

This season reminds me of the Csaba Laslo season.

Next year we need to address the decision making in the final 3rd and set pieces. 

I think the signing we have made already is with the above in mind and confident Naismith has noted our goalscoring issues.

The main thing this season was securing third by hook or crook next season we will look for performances on top of finishing 3rd. 

AndrewB
19 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I thought it was 8 but you might be right.  The two Aussies didn’t play on Saturday anyway and have been in poor form for us so that’s a bit of a moot point as I don’t think they would have played even if they weren’t away.  

I doubt the preparation for this Killie game would have been much different from the previous 3.  They are, however, unfortunately a team we really struggle against at Tynie. Added to the poor run of form we’re on it was always going to be a tough game. 

I think it was 8 full internationals and 2 with Scotland U19/U21 - Tait and Denholm (also McCluckie but he’s not a first teamer).

Rowles, Atkinson, Shankland, Gordon, Clark, Lembikisa, Vargas, Sibbick being the 8.

section s heart

I agree with most of that but Killie didn’t park the bus.  We might have had more possession (as we do in most games outside the OF) but they came and had a go, played with two wingers and created better chances than we did.  We absolutely do struggle against teams that do park the bus though and have really missed McKay in those games. 

Agree, although Killie worked hard to get men behind the ball, they didn't park the bus. Livi probably will, although a draw would be useless to them. 

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

tims will smash them, they wont be able to raise game high enough to bother them...

Not so sure about that, the mhanks struggled to break livi down and got ahead with a pathetic goal; sheep do have an awful record against them, though

2 hours ago, Rods said:

Next year we need to address the decision making in the final 3rd and set pieces. 

I think the signing we have made already is with the above in mind and confident Naismith has noted our goalscoring issues.

The main thing this season was securing third by hook or crook next season we will look for performances on top of finishing 3rd. 

Good post; agree

db211833

This thread is like a coffee morning for some of the worst posters on JKB.  At least it give them somewhere to whinge though.

4 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

Aye, the Scottish cup will be won by one of the OF this season again. 

Expecting us or Aberdeen to overcome both sides is a massive ask and seems extremely unlikely. Even if one of us were to get to the  final. 

Edited by OTT

It would take an almighty collapse for us to lose third place , however Kille look like they should take 6pts from their next two games, we need to be taking at least 4pts ! 

kingantti1874
5 hours ago, Rods said:

that season  we enormously underachieved with one of the best squads in the history of the club.

Csaba was a total fraud. As he has gone on to prove.

bizarrely I met him in aviemore when he was managing DUFC.  Talked to him at a bar.  Full of utter shite 

jr ewing
29 minutes ago, fila said:

It would take an almighty collapse for us to lose third place , however Kille look like they should take 6pts from their next two games, we need to be taking at least 4pts ! 

Would take 3.

Ricardo Quaresma

We win next two and killie lose to RC at home, again, 3rd is sealed

Edit: plus draw with, or lose to the midden

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

August Landmesser

Based on ppg so far, Killie are on course to finish on 55pts.

Safe to say that third is done already...

5 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Based on ppg so far, Killie are on course to finish on 55pts.

Safe to say that third is done already...

Also bear in mind that Killie's PPG includes fixtures against the bottom 6, who they won't be playing after the split, so unless we implode dramatically, 3rd place is ours.  Our only concern is if the sheep somehow win the cup, come semi-final weekend that concern should be put to bed. 

PapaShango
17 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think we have won 4 from 20 against them at home which is really poor for a team outside the OF.