Third place

Batistuta87

Mikey1874

So just to recap, when we beat Hibs at Easter Road we went 2 points ahead of Kilmarnock with a game in hand.

Since then results are

Hearts 7 wins, 3 draws, 2 defeats.

Kilmarnock 3 wins, 6 draws, 2 defeats 

St Mirren 5 wins, 2 draws, 5 defeats

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• jamborich

• FarmerTweedy

• Mikey1874

Doc Rob

I won’t feel relaxed until it’s mathematically guaranteed, but realistically it would take a series of results even more unlikely than last year’s for us not to finish 3rd.

Killie needed to win today and they knew it. That would have left them 8 points behind and with some momentum. They didn’t win and the gap remains 11 points. They are running out of games.

loveofthegame

I think we could quite probably not win again between now and end of the season and still finish 3rd - but a win against Livi at Tynie will absolutely seal it. 

Polonia Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So just to recap, when we beat Hibs at Easter Road we went 2 points ahead of Kilmarnock with a game in hand.

Since then results are

Hearts 7 wins, 3 draws, 2 defeats.

Kilmarnock 3 wins, 6 draws, 2 defeats 

St Mirren 5 wins, 2 draws, 5 defeats

I'm confident we can get at least 5 points from our remaining games, no way they're catching us. They both know 4th place is up for grabs.

Mikey1874

Another view

1 Nov (11 games) 1 point ahead of Kilmarnock in 3rd

2 Dec (14 games) 1 point ahead of St Mirren in 3rd

2 Jan (21 games) 5 points ahead of Kilmarnock in 3rd with game in hand

3 Feɓ (24 games) 12 points ahead of Kilmarnock in 3rd

3 Mar (29 games) 13 points ahead of St Mirren in 3rd

JudyJudyJudy

And I thought i was a drama queen 😂

PaddysBar
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Another view

1 Nov (11 games) 1 point ahead of Kilmarnock in 3rd

2 Dec (14 games) 1 point ahead of St Mirren in 3rd

2 Jan (21 games) 5 points ahead of Kilmarnock in 3rd with game in hand

3 Feɓ (24 games) 12 points ahead of Kilmarnock in 3rd

3 Mar (29 games) 13 points ahead of St Mirren in 3rd

That’s the epitome of a collapse right there. 

Think Killie had to beat us , a draw was disappointing for us but not the worst result. 
If Killie were to beat us to third , there would be a whole justified meltdown on here and a new management team in place for the start of next season 

All roads lead to Gorgie

On the evidence of today we are not a great deal better than Kilmarnock but we should pick up at least as many points as they do until the season's close. What we need is competition for places and with players like Kent and McKay back I hope that ups the stakes and keeps everyone focused on what is at stake here and that's third place.

Chuck Berry

Apart from Halkett and Boyce we have a fully fit squad and 11 points ahead with 7 games remaining. I think we should be safe enough.

Watching the highlights of the Aberdeen game, no danger they get past Sellick.

zeke1874

We've got it. There's no way killie are winning 5 out of their last 7. That being said I'd like us to get some convincing results. We've been a bit off it recently and I'd love to see us beat St mirren and livi in style. That would seal it.

Luckies1874

Today was a good point for Killie in their hopes of finishing 4th above St Mirren. 

Bazzas right boot

If we ever get in a close battle, I can only imagine.

davemclaren
4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

And I thought i was a drama queen 😂

You are. 🥸

jamborich
7 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Would be nice to start winning some games with the semi coming up 

Nothing better than a semi coming up

gregzy2k7

Need another win or two to make sure of 3rd imo,

But still can't see killie or St Mirren putting a run together over the last 7 games,

I would say it's 80% done at this moment in time.

Thomaso

We are now in a better position than we were before the Killie game - still 11 points and 13 points clear of our rivals with a game less to play. 🤷‍♂️

boag1874
6 hours ago, zeke1874 said:

We've got it. There's no way killie are winning 5 out of their last 7. That being said I'd like us to get some convincing results. We've been a bit off it recently and I'd love to see us beat St mirren and livi in style. That would seal it.

This is how I feel, it’s basically done and has been for a while but it’d be a shame to limp over the line relying on other teams to do the business for us.

I’d like to see us get 20 wins, that would be a good achievement and we’re capable of it so I hope we can get there

karipidis

Feels a bit like the 10/11 season under Jefferies. Average start, incredible run and then season tailed off. I don’t see that happening yet but there is a slight danger of losing momentum before the semi/end of season. No chance we’ll get caught in 3rd though. 

Midloth_Iain

Kilmarnock clearly think we cant be caught, given their time wasting substitutions at 1-1 yesterday.

Hearts_fan

30 game season for Hearts this past few years.

EH11 2NL

Bigger chance Livi staying up than us losing 3rd. Neither are gonna happen, could play the season out 10 times and we'd get 3rd every time. It's been sealed for ages. 

loveofthegame
32 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Kilmarnock clearly think we cant be caught, given their time wasting substitutions at 1-1 yesterday.

Bringing on van veen and GMS at 1-1 with 20 to go hardly time wasting subs… they were trying to win the game. If their giants could header a ball properly they’d have won comfortably.

but the draw suited us just fine. I repeat last nights comment, there’s absolutely zero chance we’re getting caught. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You are. 🥸

There can only be one drama queen on this forum surely 😇

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, jamborich said:

Nothing better than a semi coming up

IMG_7896.gif

1971fozzy
14 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Would be nice to start winning some games with the semi coming up 

this

Ex member of the SaS

Not past the post yet but the number of games we would have to lose against the number Killie would have to win makes it near impossible for us to miss out. One more win ( hopefully before the split ) should see us there. Not counting chickens just yet but confident enough.

JimmyCant
13 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

That's the worry for me. We were garbage today,same at County. We need to up our game tye next couple before we go to Hampden. 

Rangers are streets ahead of us in terms of tempo, confidence and just sheer will to win. I just can’t see us beating them unless every single duck falls into line. Luck. Chance conversion. Defence solidity. Attitude. All has to be better than theirs on the day

Scott Leitch
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Rangers are streets ahead of us in terms of tempo, confidence and just sheer will to win. I just can’t see us beating them unless every single duck falls into line. Luck. Chance conversion. Defence solidity. Attitude. All has to be better than theirs on the day

Pretty much yeah. 

gar jambo
13 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

I won’t feel relaxed until it’s mathematically guaranteed, but realistically it would take a series of results even more unlikely than last year’s for us not to finish 3rd.

Killie needed to win today and they knew it. That would have left them 8 points behind and with some momentum. They didn’t win and the gap remains 11 points. They are running out of games.

Hearts are 1/80 to finish third just about waiting now! 

St Mirren will not want to lose against us. Could see a low scoring draw. 

We will do Livi. 

The Killie v Midden game takes one or both of them out. 

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, CMc said:

St Mirren will not want to lose against us. Could see a low scoring draw. 

We will do Livi. 

The Killie v Midden game takes one or both of them out. 

TBF it's the Livi game that is the biggest worry. I can see us lose this as they are fighting for their life. They held Celtic first half too. The other games are less of a problem, even though the rest are better than Livi it's the determination that will see Livi through. They will still go down but expect a battle. Plus we always seem to give struggling teams a break!!

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

We're dropping a few too many points for my liking and I'm getting a bit worried that we're making this a lot more difficult than it should be.

We still confident??? 

Very confident.

We are just leveling of after our fantastic run of winning games.

We aren't 20/30 points better than the 4 placed team.

If we don't beat Livi the alarm bells may start to ring, a little.

We're gonna get about 60-65 points, that will be enough.

We We're threatening to get 79 points plus,  but the reality is we probably aren't good enough for that.

jock _turd
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Hear me out...

The momentum is with Hibs.

See when they start spending the bazillions they are getting from Folley Barca are going to be shitting it nevermind us😂

Pans Jambo
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Hear me out...

:laugh2:

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Hear me out...

That’s not momentum. That’s gravity. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

TBF it's the Livi game that is the biggest worry. I can see us lose this as they are fighting for their life. They held Celtic first half too. The other games are less of a problem, even though the rest are better than Livi it's the determination that will see Livi through. They will still go down but expect a battle. Plus we always seem to give struggling teams a break!!

Let’s be honest, we struggle against everyone in the league just about every game.  Bizarrely two of our easiest / biggest wins have been against Celtic this season, along with a couple of 2-0s against Aberdeen too.  A lot of fans seem to have an unrealistic perception of us being a lot better than we actually are. 

Thomaso
22 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

That’s not momentum. That’s gravity. 

🤣🤣🤣

GinRummy
19 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Let’s be honest, we struggle against everyone in the league just about every game.  Bizarrely two of our easiest / biggest wins have been against Celtic this season, along with a couple of 2-0s against Aberdeen too.  A lot of fans seem to have an unrealistic perception of us being a lot better than we actually are. 

You’re bang on there. A combination of a stronger mentality than our opponents and Shankland has got us to the league position we are in. 

Jim_Duncan
Just now, GinRummy said:

You’re bang on there. A combination of a stronger mentality than our opponents and Shankland has got us to the league position we are in. 

I thought it was our higher xBelief. 

GinRummy
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I thought it was our higher xBelief. 

Belief only works against the old firm

Jim_Duncan
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Belief only works against the old firm

😄

jamboinglasgow
4 hours ago, been here before said:

Hear me out...

You never know...

Seriously, if we pick up one more point next weekend than them, then its impossibly for Hibs to catch us this season.

been here before
37 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You never know...

Seriously, if we pick up one more point next weekend than them, then its impossibly for Hibs to catch us this season.

If there is one thing we can learn from Hibs is that no matter how bad things get, how hopeless things look, nothing is impossible :lol:

Pasquale for King

We are tailing off again towards the end of the season, we will need to ramp it up again to win the cup. 

Mikey1874
5 hours ago, been here before said:

Hear me out...

Hibs third in the form table (last 6 games though 7th last 8 games, and it gets worse) 

Selkirkhmfc1874

All but done imo but we need to keep foot down and keep putting points on the board to go into semi final in good spirits