Vargas signs

jambo1998

Uncle Buck
1 hour ago, Borders Jambo said:

This. That post by Uncle Buck is a shocker. 

Why is it so shocking though? We’ve given a bang average player a 5 year deal and will struggle to move him on.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• bobskeldon

• Chimp

• The Hogfather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jamboy1982

Guys are going a bit mental here! 21 year old and moved to a completely different culture and way of playing football. He has also changed position from a winger to a more central player. He’s quick, he’s tenacious and he’s shown he can score goals. Nine so far in his debut season is a decent return. I hate the term ‘project’ but that’s exactly what’s he is. Get off his back and support him. He’s not cost us a lot of money and I doubt he’s on a high wage. If he has another season where he hits double figures then he’ll be doing well and teams will sniff about. 

he has a lot to learn and his decision making needs to improve but he has time on his side. 

bobskeldon
42 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Guys are going a bit mental here! 21 year old and moved to a completely different culture and way of playing football. He has also changed position from a winger to a more central player. He’s quick, he’s tenacious and he’s shown he can score goals. Nine so far in his debut season is a decent return. I hate the term ‘project’ but that’s exactly what’s he is. Get off his back and support him. He’s not cost us a lot of money and I doubt he’s on a high wage. If he has another season where he hits double figures then he’ll be doing well and teams will sniff about. 

he has a lot to learn and his decision making needs to improve but he has time on his side. 

I knew it, young, new country etc Exactly the same that was said about Oda. Deary me what are people like you watching? Any 5 year contract is costing us a lot of money!

The Hogfather
51 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Why is it so shocking though? We’ve given a bang average player a 5 year deal and will struggle to move him on.

Just because YOU think he's bang average doesn't mean he actually is. Your opinion isn't actually that important.

Hearts fans love to self congratulate themselves over how amazing a fanbase they think they are, without realising they even out the good work by being unforgiving bellends when a player has one or two poor games.

Edited by The Hogfather

3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I knew it, young, new country etc Exactly the same that was said about Oda. Deary me what are people like you watching? Any 5 year contract is costing us a lot of money!

There's little to no chance Kenny Vargas is on a lot of money right now. And his return for that money has been pretty good considering he's fighting a losing battle against the moaning faced complainers in our support every time he sets foot on the pitch.

jamboy1982
Just now, bobskeldon said:

Settle big fella. Just cos my opinion differs from yours doesn’t mean you get all upset. I’m not here for an argument but since you responded. 

yes he is young. Just turned 21.

yes he is in a new country and I can tell you for certain that football in Costa Rica is a lot different to football in Scotland. 
not sure about your point on oda. He’s scored something like 6 in his last ten appearances. I’m not a big fan of oda but give him another season to see how he does. 

your main point appears to be is that players moving here should be amazing right away or they might as well just be moved on. He’s had some great ferry decent performances and some not so decent. I pointed out that he’s quick, tenacious and seems to be able to grab a goal or two. I don’t think annoying would argue with that. 

5 year contract is gonna cost a bit over the 5 years. However you get a return through him scoring or assisting and maybe if it works out we’ll sell him on for a profit. This is how we operate. Take a punt and hope a player improves enough to make some money. Speculate to accumulate. Basic football transfer strategy. 

kingantti1874
55 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hes a young kid and has been very good.

Shankland was pish yesterday, in fact - you are probably amongst those questioning why Vargas didn’t cross to him earlier, without realising that Shankland was offside, and by the time he got onside the opportunity was gone.

so being so ****ing dramatic and binary in your opinion.  Can you not just say you felt he had a bad game and not write the kid off? Have you not ****ing learned that actually you can’t form an opinion based on one game.  Half of this board wanted Naismith out, half of this board though hof was terrible.

clowns 

bobskeldon
4 minutes ago, Bender said:

There's little to no chance Kenny Vargas is on a lot of money right now. And his return for that money has been pretty good considering he's fighting a losing battle against the moaning faced complainers in our support every time he sets foot on the pitch.

So you think he is a player worthy of a  contract, which I think might be the longest contract we have ever offered anyone? He is that good! Think about it! 

bobskeldon
5 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Settle big fella. Just cos my opinion differs from yours doesn’t mean you get all upset. I’m not here for an argument but since you responded. 

yes he is young. Just turned 21.

yes he is in a new country and I can tell you for certain that football in Costa Rica is a lot different to football in Scotland. 
not sure about your point on oda. He’s scored something like 6 in his last ten appearances. I’m not a big fan of oda but give him another season to see how he does. 

your main point appears to be is that players moving here should be amazing right away or they might as well just be moved on. He’s had some great ferry decent performances and some not so decent. I pointed out that he’s quick, tenacious and seems to be able to grab a goal or two. I don’t think annoying would argue with that. 

5 year contract is gonna cost a bit over the 5 years. However you get a return through him scoring or assisting and maybe if it works out we’ll sell him on for a profit. This is how we operate. Take a punt and hope a player improves enough to make some money. Speculate to accumulate. Basic football transfer strategy. 

Have we ever given any player in our history a 5 year deal? 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, bobskeldon said:

So you think he is a player worthy of a  contract, which I think might be the longest contract we have ever offered anyone? He is that good! Think about it! 

he has good potential, he’s a full international. he has good pace, I think he’s not far from double figures in his first season and has scored some important goals and helped us to a comfortable 3rd place AND helped get us to the semi in the first place -and he won’t be on big money either. 

All of the above things are statements of fact not More importantly our manager wanted him and knows a lot more than you do or anyone else in our dramatic / childish support

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

yes .  

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Yes, quite a few players. Prior to Vargas, it was Rowles

bobskeldon
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Shankland was pish yesterday, in fact - you are probably amongst those questioning why Vargas didn’t cross to him earlier, without realising that Shankland was offside, and by the time he got onside the opportunity was gone.

so being so ****ing dramatic and binary in your opinion.  Can you not just say you felt he had a bad game and not write the kid off? Have you not ****ing learned that actually you can’t form an opinion based on one game.  Half of this board wanted Naismith out, half of this board though hof was terrible.

clowns 

Not sure about the poster you are responding to but my serious doubts about Vargas and a five year deal have been there since day one, not just yesterday. It sounds like  you want to concentrate on a pretty short ‘highlights’ reel of his time here and on that basis offer a 5 year deal. I think it is madness! We have Oda three years FFS!

Fozzyonthefence
10 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Not trying to be funny but when did we start selling players for a profit?!

jamboy1982
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not trying to be funny but when did we start selling players for a profit?!

Good thing is you weren’t funny. I didn’t say we had sold players for a profit but this is the plan. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Not sure about the poster you are responding to but my serious doubts about Vargas and a five year deal have been there since day one, not just yesterday. It sounds like  you want to concentrate on a pretty short ‘highlights’ reel of his time here and on that basis offer a 5 year deal. I think it is madness! We have Oda three years FFS!

clubs at our level need to take gambles, we cannot afford certainties.  It’s the area of the market we operate in.  Vargas has shown enough, with a little bit of composure which will come he will be a very effective player.  He already has been 

bobskeldon
3 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Vargas is a good player and a really exciting prospect. I actually felt he was nipping at Rangers defence yesterday, winning the ball, forcing errors. It’s his decision making that seriously lets him down. It’s clear to see he’s 21 and extremely naive at times. A bit of composure from him yesterday and we could very well have a cup final to look forward to (not that I’m pinning yesterday solely on him) another notable example was the last derby at tynecastle. I feel like he does the hard part and does so much right but when it comes to staying composed and making the right decision he really needs to mature. As I said I’m excited by having him tied down, I reckon he’s going to be a great player for us. But for me at the moment Oda is a better all round player. He caused Butland more problems in 10 minutes than Kenny did in 70

Not watching the same player or even the same game as me!

5 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Yes, I do. He's got bags of potential and is a current international. He's still quite raw but has had a decent return of goals and assists in his first season.  9 goals and 3 assists. How many players in recent years have had that kind of first season?

jamboy1982
11 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Yea we have on a number of occasions. It’s part of the strategy. If you take a chance on a player that you think might get you financial return then you have to protect it. Hence a long term contract 

The Hogfather
Just now, bobskeldon said:

Not watching the same player or even the same game as me!

That doesn't make them wrong. Quite the contrary in fact.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Good thing is you weren’t funny. I didn’t say we had sold players for a profit but this is the plan. 

You said that is how we operate.  Except it isn’t!  Yes, it might be the plan but it hasn’t been how we operate.  Our better players tend to run down their contracts. 

bobskeldon
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

clubs at our level need to take gambles, we cannot afford certainties.  It’s the area of the market we operate in.  Vargas has shown enough, with a little bit of composure which will come he will be a very effective player.  He already has been 

This phrase ‘it will come’ is banded about as if it is some pre-determined prophecy by experts. I don’t think in Vargas’s case it will. He will be away in a year’s time because whatever ‘it’ is hasn’t come! 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

This phrase ‘it will come’ is banded about as if it is some pre-determined prophecy by experts. I don’t think in Vargas’s case it will. He will be away in a year’s time because whatever ‘it’ is hasn’t come! 

depends on your criteria.  Because as I said above you’re conveniently forgetting that he’s nearly on double figures for goals and has quite a few assists as well.

Not just token goals either, important ones which actually got us to that semi final.  All the while being played out of position.  

that record stands up favourably against most in the league not just at hearts. 

what is it about hearts fans, make minds up after a couple of games then no matter what that player does go on to slaughter them every week.  Someone yesterday said we were shite becuase of Atkinson and Devlin.  Who were probably out 2 best players, and did absolutely nothing worthy of criticism.  We have the best support in the country but some find the act of supporting very difficult. 

ps - same number of league goals as maeda and rabbi Matondo and More cup goals.  Whilst being forced to play as a winger and not in his actual position as a centre forward. 

Edited by kingantti1874

Vargas is a great wee player. Can't wait to see him kick on further next year.

He's had a great first season.

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yes, quite a few players. Prior to Vargas, it was Rowles

Vargas will progress, hes better already. Rowles will not and hasn’t improved at all since he arrived.,

Pasquale for King

I think the manager will make him better, but hes not a winger so we really need to develop a system where he’s up front. 

bobskeldon

What I can’t understand is why people supporting the clubs decision to award 21 year old Vargas with a 5 year contract because “it will come” aren’t asking why Tait only got three years? If being a ‘prospect and only 21’ is the criteria used by many on here to defend the five year deal for Vargas, why has 18 year old Tait who is significantly better technically, on another planet in terms of decision making and three years younger got less? 

jamboy1982
4 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

What I can’t understand is why people supporting the clubs decision to award 21 year old Vargas with a 5 year contract because “it will come” aren’t asking why Tait only got three years? If being a ‘prospect and only 21’ is the criteria used by many on here to defend the five year deal for Vargas, why has 18 year old Tait who is significantly better technically, on another planet in terms of decision making and three years younger got less? 

He’s also slower and as of yet quite unproven at our level. I like him, good wee prospect but still has a lot to prove. Vargas as stated many times has scored almost double figures in his first season. 

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think the manager will make him better, but hes not a winger so we really need to develop a system where he’s up front. 

100%. It's annoying as Shanks often likes to go slightly deeper and use movement and a pacy striker ahead of him to find gaps. Naismith doesn't seem to see it this way.

Fozzyonthefence
11 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Vargas has been a regular starter and scored 9 goals I think whereas Tait has only started 1 game.  Both, however, need to improve a lot but they both certainly have potential. 

kingantti1874
19 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Maybe Tait was offered 5 years and didn’t want it.  Maybe  Tait didn’t need that duration in order to relocate his family from the other side of the world.

what I can’t understand is . Why are you avoiding the data.  9 goals in total, 5 league goals + several assists whilst being played out of position as a winger in pretty good isn’t it.  Factually speaking I mean in comparison to the rest of this league and hearts players current and ex in their first seasons. 

Edited by kingantti1874

heartsfan1874.
On 26/03/2024 at 15:06, jambo1998 said:

New song idea similar to a Crystal Palace one I’ve seen on their Brazilian winger 

“When the samba rhythm starts to play

Dance with me 

make me sway

Kenny Vargas running down the wing 

Scoring goals 

makes the Gorgie sing

dududududududududududududududu… x2” 

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Maybe Tait was offered 5 years and didn’t want it.  Maybe  Tait didn’t need that duration in order to relocate his family from the other side of the world.

what I can’t understand is . Why are you avoiding the data.  9 goals in total, 5 league goals + several assists whilst being played out of position as a winger in pretty good isn’t it.  Factually speaking I mean in comparison to the rest of this league and hearts players current and ex in their first seasons. 

I keep seeing this on JKB - is it true or just how fans see him?  Must admit I don’t see him as a striker / no.9 because the weakest part of his game is his lack of composure.  There is definitely potential there but if we rely on Vargas as s straight replacement for Shanks then next season could be a struggle!

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

bobskeldon
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

That’s a bit like..we are third so we must be a good side. The data shows we are third but the reality is we are a fair bit away from being a good side. Good sides are more consistent than we are, good sides have very distinguishable ‘patterns of play’, good sides are generally speaking ‘at it’ for most if not all of the 90 minutes!  The data tells us that about good sides. If you think this team you have watched all season have any of the above attributes, please let me know. Data can tell lies! 

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I keep seeing this on JKB - is it true or just how fans see him?  Must admit I don’t see him as a striker / no.9 because the weakest part of his game is his lack of composure.  There is definitely potential there but if we rely on Vargas as s straight replacement for Shanks then next season could be a struggle!

he is a striker, we have moved him. When playing central he’s scored goals mate

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

That’s a bit like..we are third so we must be a good side. The data shows we are third but the reality is we are a fair bit away from being a good side. Good sides are more consistent than we are, good sides have very distinguishable ‘patterns of play’, good sides are generally speaking ‘at it’ for most if not all of the 90 minutes!  The data tells us that about good sides. If you think this team you have watched all season have any of the above attributes, please let me know. Data can tell lies! 

We are a good side in the context of Scottish football.  With the quality of player available to the club. The 3rd best by a long long way. 

We have had the best away form for over 30 years, beat the champions home and away, got to 2 semi finals and  a points tally close to the very best hearts teams which frankly we couldn’t afford to put on the pitch now - a fact that so many in our support just cannot seem to grasp. 

We do have distinct patterns of play, if you can’t see it then I’m afraid to say that’s your issue bob.  

Can we improve of course we can. 

King prawn

Has shown more than Henderson did in his 50+ appearances for Hearts (who is 2 years older) 

The Hogfather
34 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Starting to push the same agenda that fans of 2 prominent bottom six have been pushing lately. I wonder why.

Uncle Buck
2 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

Just because YOU think he's bang average doesn't mean he actually is. Your opinion isn't actually that important.

Hearts fans love to self congratulate themselves over how amazing a fanbase they think they are, without realising they even out the good work by being unforgiving bellends when a player has one or two poor games.

This is literally a fans forum where fans give their opinion. Why am I not allowed to give mine?

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

clowns 

I’m certainly not basing it off one performance. I don’t rate Vargas and haven’t for a while. I’ve not written him off. Just don’t think he merits a 5 year deal at all. He’s a bit of a nothing player, certainly not a team one. As for Naismith, I’ve no idea why you’re bringing him up. I wanted to give him the job at the end of last season. And I’ve never said Hoff was terrible. Strange.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This is literally a fans forum where fans give their opinion. Why am I not allowed to give mine?

I’m certainly not basing it off one performance. I don’t rate Vargas and haven’t for a while. I’ve not written him off. Just don’t think he merits a 5 year deal at all. He’s a bit of a nothing player, certainly not a team one. As for Naismith, I’ve no idea why you’re bringing him up. I wanted to give him the job at the end of last season. And I’ve never said Hoff was terrible. Strange.

I wasn’t talking about you buck. More of a general observation of this board and how wrong people usually are when they take definitive binary views.  

feels like some are falling into this trap with Vargas when the reality is he’s been an important player for us and has done well.  He does of course have significant room for improvement 

colinmaroon

Players sometimes have off games.

Remember Rab Prentice tearing Sandy Jardine apart in a 3-0 win at Ibrox. He was superb.

Next time we played them Rab never got a look at the ball. Nothing he tried came off.  Looked awful.

The Hogfather
44 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Of course you're allowed an opinion. that doesn't make you right about Vargas or about the deal we offered him.

B4 Part B
2 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

The bit in bold is the key bit eh? Desperately waiting on your congratulations for being right about him all along, sad.

Philfigo

Vargas is a massively talented player and has shown that. His decision making is still raw but this comes with experience, unfortunately that experience is gained by making mistakes. The guy has shown desire on the pitch to battle for us as well. He had a poor game with his decision making yesterday but he still got himself in the positions in the first instance. The lad has got alot about him, I am in no doubt that Naismith is one of the best people to coach him on making the right choices in the final 3rd. If you want a young superstar at 20 years old that has the full package then itl cost you £10m+ which we don't have so some need to get real with there expectations when following Hearts. 

Edited by Philfigo

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Vargas will progress, hes better already. Rowles will not and hasn’t improved at all since he arrived.,

Kingsley doesn't cover himself in glory at their first goal yesterday but the part Rowles plays in it is utterly unacceptable. Tavernier was on the ground and still won a 20:80!!

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

We've given plenty players 5 year contracts in the past.  Some probably on a lot more money (adjusting for inflation) than Vargas is likely to be on.