Calum Elliott New Bonnyrigg Rose Boss

Libertarian

Libertarian

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but apparently Calum Elliott is the new manager of Bonnyrigg Rose who are really struggling in Division 2. Hope Calum makes a success and keeps Bonnyrigg in the division.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/former-hearts-star-named-boss-at-spfl-club-as-compensation-agreed-4567742

Geoff Kilpatrick

Good luck to him. If he succeeds he can do a celebratory dance at the end of the season!

trotter

I have it on good authority from someone that i trust 100% that has worked with him before, that he is an absolute **** to work with/for. To the point that that he has just quit BR to avoid being in the same room as him.

Was a good player as a young man ung lad, shame it never worked out for him. Will always remember him and Janny terrorising the Celtic defence on that fateful day in 2006.

Stanley_
2 hours ago, Phage said:

lol, This will last about 2 weeks

He's already managing his seventh club and he's only 36. Third club since 2023.

RustyRightPeg
17 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

All his moves have been upward though. Can't really argue with that...

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Really pleased for him, sounds like the makings of a decent manager. 

I know Fox is a well thought of coach, but someone up and coming as the B-team coach seems like a no brainer for when Naismith eventually moves. 

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Was a good player as a young man ung lad, shame it never worked out for him. Will always remember him and Janny terrorising the Celtic defence on that fateful day in 2006.

*young lad. Fecking phone.

132goals1958

Surprised they sacked Robbie Horn . Know they have been on a poor run recently but in the overall scheme of things he seemed to be doing a good job. May come back to haunt them but hopefully they stay up.

heartsfc_fan

Got sacked in the tunnel apparently 2 minutes after the full time whistle.

Did a good job with Bonnyrigg and should get something else fairly quickly you'd imagine.

132goals1958
5 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Got sacked in the tunnel apparently 2 minutes after the full time whistle.

Did a good job with Bonnyrigg and should get something else fairly quickly you'd imagine.

What a despicable thing to do after the success he brought them. Only a few weeks ago he got a respectable away performance at Aberdeen. Surely had enough credit in the bank to try and turn things around.

ehcaley
34 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Tranent to Cowdenbeath wasn't an upward move😉

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, ehcaley said:

Tranent to Cowdenbeath wasn't an upward move😉

Tranent are a shambles behind the scenes though as shown with the Max Christie debacle earlier in the year. He left there due to that.

ehcaley
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Tranent are a shambles behind the scenes though as shown with the Max Christie debacle earlier in the year. He left there due to that.

Can you elaborate on this shambles?Christie was simply useless!

TexasAndy

Bonnyrigg have nosedived since they knocked Falkirk out the cup.  They look nailed on to finish bottom so I can understand the club wanting to make a change.  However I am not sure that Calum Elliot is the answer.  It's going to come down to them staying up or not.

Edited by TexasAndy

hmfcbilly

Massive gamble which I fear will bite them on the bum. Would much rather have seen them bring in someone with experience of the lower leagues to help them try to stay up. Clyde seem to have turned things around so I'd say its between Stranraer and bonnyrigg to go down 

Shaggy2
14 minutes ago, ehcaley said:

Can you elaborate on this shambles?Christie was simply useless!

I’d like to know this as well. Big T are well run and absolutely punching. I heard one T was punted for taking the piss while he was manager. Applying for “better” jobs without informing the board.

It’s funny how bang average managers stories are the only ones heard when they and a club parts ways. 

gorgierulesapply88

From Edinburgh Utd to Bonnyrigg Rose, a team about to be relegated to the bottom division in EOS football to a team in the lower region of league football.

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Massive gamble which I fear will bite them on the bum. Would much rather have seen them bring in someone with experience of the lower leagues to help them try to stay up. Clyde seem to have turned things around so I'd say its between Stranraer and bonnyrigg to go down 

I agree with your analysis. Clyde hsve brought in Ian McColl who has a wealth of experience and has certainly turned them around. Not looking good for the Rose. 

soonbe110
7 hours ago, trotter said:

I have it on good authority from someone that i trust 100% that has worked with him before, that he is an absolute **** to work with/for. To the point that that he has just quit BR to avoid being in the same room as him.

Jumped before he was pushed? 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

Surprised they sacked Robbie Horn . Know they have been on a poor run recently but in the overall scheme of things he seemed to be doing a good job. May come back to haunt them but hopefully they stay up.

Yep, first bad run in his second spell and they pull the trigger.  He has done incredibly well for them over the years but that’s today’s football environment. Promotion to Lowland League then promotion to League 2 then keeps them in it first season doesn’t seem to count for anything. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, first bad run in his second spell and they pull the trigger.  He has done incredibly well for them over the years but that’s today’s football environment. Promotion to Lowland League then promotion to League 2 then keeps them in it first season doesn’t seem to count for anything. 

How long to you let such a poor run go ? Not sure getting them promoted means you can keep your job as the club heads for relegation. Football is a harsh business something I’m sure he’s well aware of. He’s done really well up to this point and will get another job no bother I’d have thought. 

sirwalter
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I agree with your analysis. Clyde hsve brought in Ian McColl who has a wealth of experience and has certainly turned them around. Not looking good for the Rose. 

Wrong Ranger.

132goals1958
36 minutes ago, Dazo said:

How long to you let such a poor run go ? Not sure getting them promoted means you can keep your job as the club heads for relegation. Football is a harsh business something I’m sure he’s well aware of. He’s done really well up to this point and will get another job no bother I’d have thought. 

They have a fight on their hands but can still survive. Not sure going into the last few games relying on the new managerial bounce theory is the correct decision. Sounds as if it was  rash  to sack him so soon after the final whistle when emotions are maybe running high. As you say he has done well for them and probably deserved the opportunity to turn it around.

mud and mullets
4 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Really good young player and his development must have really suffered from all the manager changes and other nonsense. Also remember him being on the end of a vicious kung-fu kick from Allan McGregor (who I don't think was punished naturally).

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, Stanley_ said:

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

And that's the point. I was a fan of Clum, he had no luck with injuries, and I wish him all the best.

upgotheheads
11 minutes ago, mud and mullets said:

Really good young player and his development must have really suffered from all the manager changes and other nonsense. Also remember him being on the end of a vicious kung-fu kick from Allan McGregor (who I don't think was punished naturally).

Any other team's goalie  (except Celtic), gets a red for that.

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Wonder if he'll last longer than he did at Penicuik 

6 weeks.  What was that all about?

hmfcdaz01
9 hours ago, trotter said:

Not disputing what you’ve been told but I know someone who worked with him at Cowdenbeath and he only has good things to say about Calum , great guy apparently and they’re devastated to lose him at Cowdenbeath . 

Niemi’s gloves

I can’t say I have followed Bonnyrigg Rose closely, but what strikes me on checking out their team on Saturday is the lack of players who’ve played at higher than League 2 or Lowland League level. OK they have several who started out as youngsters at full time clubs (mainly at Easter Road!) but not any who have decent experience at say championship level. 

in other words, maybe Rose haven’t upgraded enough since they made it to the league. Sometimes the upward momentum of winning promotion is enough to keep a club up in year one at the higher level but not in year two. Whether that’s the fault of the board/committee or Robbie Horn is I guess open to debate. 

RustyRightPeg
40 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

6 weeks.  What was that all about?

Took the Penicuik job, then Cowdenbeath approached him. Doubt he would've taken it had he known they were gonna come calling so soon.

trotter
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Jumped before he was pushed? 

Wasn't said outright, but that was the jist I took from it.

trotter
32 minutes ago, hmfcdaz01 said:

Not disputing what you’ve been told but I know someone who worked with him at Cowdenbeath and he only has good things to say about Calum , great guy apparently and they’re devastated to lose him at Cowdenbeath . 

Different folks/strokes is entirely plausible. 

I thought it was a bit strange when he left two previous posts quite suddenly ? At least I think that is what happened …………. Did he not leave Edinburgh City and Penicuik Athletic rather abruptly 

Every chance I am getting a bit confused 

RustyRightPeg
9 hours ago, trotter said:

You good pals with Daz? 😂

trotter
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

You good pals with Daz? 😂

Lolz 😅

soonbe110
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

First bad run then the bullet.  Just such a stupid way to run a business. No-one knows how long the run will go on for nor do they know how the replacement will do. Just look at Aberdeen 

soonbe110
14 minutes ago, trotter said:

Wasn't said outright, but that was the jist I took from it.

👍

tian447
1 hour ago, mud and mullets said:

Allan McGregor was, and is, an absolute knob.  A more classic Rangers personality you could not imagine. 

It's a shame that no-one ever gave him one back from what he usually dished out. 

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

First bad run then the bullet.  Just such a stupid way to run a business. No-one knows how long the run will go on for nor do they know how the replacement will do. Just look at Aberdeen 

As I said how long do you give it ? Were you happy for Bob to be given more time ?

6 hours ago, Phage said:

lol, This will last about 2 weeks

That's how long he lasted at Penicuik Athletic.

1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

They have a fight on their hands but can still survive. Not sure going into the last few games relying on the new managerial bounce theory is the correct decision. Sounds as if it was  rash  to sack him so soon after the final whistle when emotions are maybe running high. As you say he has done well for them and probably deserved the opportunity to turn it around.

Think the decision either way was made before that game but the final outcome went the way of the result. Going back down to the lowland would be tough. Agree it shouldn’t have been done in that way though, surely waiting till Monday morning wouldn’t have changed anything. 

Watch a lot of Bonnyrigg and certainly a big call to sack Horn. Performances have been very poor since Xmas, variety of factors in play including budget and a poor pitch but ultimately they haven’t won enough tight games. Most games in they league are very tight but whilst others seem to win scrappy games by a goal Rose don’t do so. No goals in the team evidenced by the centre half who takes the pens being top scorer.

I can understand the rationale for making a change but it’s a risk and I was a bit shocked who they appointed. As someone said Clyde have momentum and have almost made up a 14 point deficit so I do think it’s between Rose and Stranraer for bottom spot.

All that being said if you finish bottom after 36 games and then have a 2 leg play off to save yourself can’t be many complaints at being relegated.

RustyRightPeg
28 minutes ago, trotter said:

Lolz 😅

In fairness, the people I know that have played for / worked with him say he's a decent coach but he struggles with the man management / communication side of things with players. Quite an awkward guy socially, which translates. There's a few personalities in that Bonnyrigg changing room, will be interesting to keep an eye on. 

10 hours ago, trotter said:

we have a problem Houston!

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

As I said how long do you give it ? Were you happy for Bob to be given more time ?

This losing run started on 17 Feb!!  That’s about five weeks ago.  Prior to that they were doing fine and ran Aberdeen close in the cup.  Five weeks is ridiculous and yes, if Bob’s bad run was only five weeks I would have given him more time, just like the Club actually did. 

Mikey1874

Last 7 league games. 5 defeats, 2 draws.  

That is typically close to manager sacking territory. But 8 years and all that was achieved is pretty tough.