Ramadan and Grub

highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

Mrs and myself just back from Marrakesh on Wednesday after a short week away.  When we booked up it hadn’t occurred to us this short stop would be during the month of Ramadan, bit apprehensive and don’t want to insult anyone but…..* am no starvin all day 😂.  

So, our first meal out at about 7pm at a decent restaurant near our apartment which coincides with local ramadanars also being able to eat, the restaurant is about half full so we pop in, no sooner sat down when a waiter appears with two side plates covered with dates, boiled eggs, and 3-4 sweet sticky pastry type things.  This was quickly followed by two large bowls of soup (Harira) with bread, then orange juice and mint tea.  This was also followed by two mini cheeseburgers each with minced lamb, two lamb samosas and two lamb spring rolls, then along came more flatbreads jam/butter/honey……….we hadn’t been in the place 5 minutes nor had we ordered any food 😳.  We ate what we could but had to tell the waiter “no more”, they were about to serve us a lamb tagline each (see below) which was quite a pot full.  Very conscious about not being rude, we paid our bill and left.

After a bit of digging about it turns out that the Ramadan Buffet is quite a popular thing.  It’s an easy way for a restaurant to provide a high volume of food to locals quickly with a fast turnaround.  We didn’t have another Buffet but just ordered off the normal menu, which we could have done on our first meal out 🤷‍♂️

Some of the quantities of food I seen people with was unreal……..don’t let these ramadanars convince you they’ve got it tough……fat bassas 😁

* the locals are actually alright with non Muslims eating during the day so long as your not walking down the street chomping a pizza…..some of the restaurants are open serving breakfast, lunch & dinner as normal.

IMG_2123.jpeg

I have a lot of respect for Muslims who're able to go a full day without eating or drinking anything. One of the boys on the team I coach is fasting at the moment and his dedication is something to be proud of.

henrysmithsgloves
42 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

😂

IMG_2123.jpeg

Looks delicious 😋,I hope the bog roll is in the fridge,and the bday has running freezing cold water 😳

The restriction on eating is dawn to dusk, so usually observers will get up before dawn and have a solid breakfast (suhur) then go about their day and have a slap up meal (iftar) in the evening.
Traditionally iftar begins with 3 dates, which is what The Prophet broke his own fast with. 

All you're really missing out on is lunch, it's not that hard.

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

The restriction on eating is dawn to dusk, so usually observers will get up before dawn and have a solid breakfast (suhur) then go about their day and have a slap up meal (iftar) in the evening.
Traditionally iftar begins with 3 dates, which is what The Prophet broke his own fast with. 

All you're really missing out on is lunch, its not that hard.

Ken….wimps 

Lucky enough to have been invited to iftar once. Needed a wheelbarrow to get hame :lol:

highlandjambo3
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Looks delicious 😋,I hope the bog roll is in the fridge,and the bday has running freezing cold water 😳

We mostly dont get caught out with the upset stomach stuff, simple things like bottled water to brush your teeth, keep your spanner’s clean (strong hand gell a couple times a day) no ordering salads or chopped fruit when your out, make sure your hot food is hot, without walking about with a food temperature probe but as a guideline, if it’s to hot to hold in the palm of your hand then it’s hot enough to eat safely.

That tagine picture at the top, the gravy around the side was actually bubbling for about 30 seconds after the lid was removed.

Edited by highlandjambo3

1 hour ago, Bender said:

I have a lot of respect for Muslims who're able to go a full day without eating or drinking anything. One of the boys on the team I coach is fasting at the moment and his dedication is something to be proud of.

Not if they are driving buses or flying planes etc. There should be a ban on anyone performing such duties when fasting as it puts other people at risk.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

All you're really missing out on is lunch, it's not that hard.

While going without food is probably not that hard considering, going the day without taking on any fluids can't be easy. Especially in climes much warmer and drier than what we have here.

32 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Not if they are driving buses or flying planes etc. There should be a ban on anyone performing such duties when fasting as it puts other people at risk.

Ok squire.

the posh bit
34 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Any evidence to back that up? 

1 hour ago, SM8 said:

Lucky enough to have been invited to iftar once. Needed a wheelbarrow to get hame :lol:

My experience with Muslim foods, I’d need the wheelbarrow to muck out the bathroom the following day. 

46 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Not sure about buses but pilots are exempt as “travellers.” 
Not 100% sure but they just make up the days later.

If it was me I’d be waiting until mid winter. “Oh no I can’t eat or drink between 10am & 2pm”

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

We mostly dont get caught out with the upset stomach stuff, simple things like bottled water to brush your teeth, keep your spanner’s clean (strong hand gell a couple times a day) no ordering salads or chopped fruit when your out, make sure your hot food is hot, without walking about with a food temperature probe but as a guideline, if it’s to hot to hold in the palm of your hand then it’s hot enough to eat safely.

That tagine picture at the top, the gravy around the side was actually bubbling for about 30 seconds after the lid was removed.

They found remains of those tagine pots while doing archeological digs on Antonine wall🧐

12 minutes ago, gjcc said:

My experience with Muslim foods, I’d need the wheelbarrow to muck out the bathroom the following day. 

Muslim food? That’s quite the catch all term for a religion that’s across a vast area of the world from Indonesia to sub Saharan Africa and west Africa. Not to mention parts of Europe. Is Christian food all the same? 

henrysmithsgloves
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Muslim food? That’s quite the catch all term for a religion that’s across a vast area of the world from Indonesia to sub Saharan Africa and west Africa. Not to mention parts of Europe. Is Christian food all the same? 

Fish on Fridays🤣

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

No it’s my experience of a Muslim friends family’s excellent hospitality. 

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

They have jobs like anyone else and if they don’t eat or drink water then they’re more likely to faint or lose concentration. Therefore they put people in danger if they are going to malnourish themselves for such a long time. 

Up to them if they want to do it, but I would not let them drive me anywhere if they were fasting (esp the absence of water).

Edited by JJ93

50 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Lol look at you. So offended…

5 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

😅

6 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

lol look at you, so edgy. 

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

lol look at you, so edgy. 

😃, oh the banter.

What the hell is Muslim food??? African? Middle Eastern? Asian? Turkish? 

4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

What the hell is Muslim food??? African? Middle Eastern? Asian? Turkish? 

All of it but one can point that out without the idiocy of thinking it’s offensive to say “Muslim food” 😂

3 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

All of it but one can point that out without the idiocy of thinking it’s offensive to say “Muslim food” 😂

It's not offensive to me, just plain ridiculous.

JudyJudyJudy

Im on a fasting diet so regularly do 18 /20  hours plus no eating.  Plenty water though > You can get used to it 

JudyJudyJudy
53 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

I knew someone would pull you up for that :) as night follows day on this. 

JudyJudyJudy

Lebanese food can be really nice and not too spicey  . Depending on what you get obviously

39 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

I’m not offended. Just curious that a catch all term was used. 

the posh bit
1 hour ago, JJ93 said:

They have jobs like anyone else and if they don’t eat or drink water then they’re more likely to faint or lose concentration. Therefore they put people in danger if they are going to malnourish themselves for such a long time. 

Up to them if they want to do it, but I would not let them drive me anywhere if they were fasting (esp the absence of water).

Lol. 

2 hours ago, the posh bit said:

As with anyone displaying frightful ignorance, you're unlikely to get any. I suspect this posters objections aren't merely rooted in the fear of pilot error.

Captain Sausage

I work in an Islamic country and we have a ‘sin’ room for the westerners to go for a cup of tea / lunch / etc. 

One of the locals was saying that they spend 50-60% more on food during Ramadan - they are also up all sorts of hours to work around the fast. They work reduced hours (9-3) so it’s not all bad…

BlueRiver
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Lebanese food can be really nice and not too spicey  . Depending on what you get obviously

Lebanese is top stuff. Love it. 

il Duce McTarkin

Has anyone been accused of racism yet?

BlueRiver
2 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

This bunch of arseholes could be discussing their favourite ice cream and it would descend into allegations of sectarianism and racism. 

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I used the word ramadonians so I’m not sure if that counts….🤷‍♂️.  No doubt someone on here will correct me.

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

I work in an Islamic country and we have a ‘sin’ room for the westerners to go for a cup of tea / lunch / etc. 

One of the locals was saying that they spend 50-60% more on food during Ramadan - they are also up all sorts of hours to work around the fast. They work reduced hours (9-3) so it’s not all bad…

When I worked in Saudi, all public restaurants were closed during daylight hours but we were OK to eat on the navy base. The civilian Saudis only  worked for 4 hours although the naval personnel were 'meant' to work normal hours.

henrysmithsgloves
24 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I used the word ramadonians so I’m not sure if that counts….🤷‍♂️.  No doubt someone on here will correct me.

I think that's male folk from Aberdeen 🤔😁

highlandjambo3
15 minutes ago, XB52 said:

When I worked in Saudi, all public restaurants were closed during daylight hours but we were OK to eat on the navy base. The civilian Saudis only  worked for 4 hours although the naval personnel were 'meant' to work normal hours.

In Brunei we used to sit outside at the restaurants with great big tea pots filled with beer…….everyone knew even the cops but, so long as it didn’t look like we were drinking alcohol it was fine…….until we got pished 😂

il Duce McTarkin
44 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Pity they never chopped your head off on some trumped up charges.

:seething:

il Duce McTarkin
59 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

This bunch of arseholes could be discussing their favourite ice cream and it would descend into allegations of sectarianism and racism. 

We need more sectarianism and racism imo

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Happy to lend a hand if not. 

Dawnrazor
1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

Just had a rather delicious Tablet Ice Cream in the Inverkip Hotel.

henrysmithsgloves
23 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

What colour was it? Chocolate or white 🧐

Dawnrazor
Just now, henrysmithsgloves said:

What colour was it? Chocolate or white 🧐

White to very pale pink with wee bits of tablet, it was maybe a "fudgey" rather than "tablety" but lovely all the same, and the girl that served us was white so, unfortunately, no racist angle.

the posh bit
3 hours ago, Bender said:

As with anyone displaying frightful ignorance, you're unlikely to get any. I suspect this posters objections aren't merely rooted in the fear of pilot error.

That thought had crossed my mind 😊 

BlueRiver
32 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Superb choice. 

Jim_Duncan
35 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

White to very pale pink with wee bits of tablet, it was maybe a "fudgey" rather than "tablety" but lovely all the same, and the girl that served us was white so, unfortunately, no racist angle.

Humza fuming. 

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Give Syrian grub a miss, tried to get a kebab in Brussels and ended up with battered cauliflower!

Malinga the Swinga
11 hours ago, Bender said:

Yep, shame that dedication totally wasted worshiping a book that is totally made up and definitely wasn't sent from heaven by god to justify the slaughter of millions and the maltreatment of millions more.

Same goes for those that believe in Christianity, Bhudism, Hinduism or my of the rest of the made up nonsense