Can Dhanda take corners?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick

Because we badly need players who can do that. Between Forrest, Cochrane and Grant, we must have the shittiest corner takers in the league. Don't they even practise crossing?

Ron Burgundy

Set pieces and throw ins you’d expect to see in a poor under 15’s game. 
And it’s been ongoing for ages as well. 

Jambof3tornado
28 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Set pieces and throw ins you’d expect to see in a poor under 15’s game. 
And it’s been ongoing for ages as well. 

This. Often teams see set pieces as the best opportunities for goals,I see ours as a waste of time.

jamboozy

I don’t know why we get all excited when we end up with a corner?  We don’t have a player that can deliver a decent one, and if we can’t do that from a dead ball situation, what chance have got of delivering a decent cross from open play?

18Jambo_dave74

We have one of the best set piece takers I’ve seen at Hearts in years yet we don’t let him take the corners. 

Russ1977

Cochrane is woeful at set pieces, either hits the first man or over hits it completely. 

Russ1977
6 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

We have one of the best set piece takers I’ve seen at Hearts in years yet we don’t let him take the corners. 

That’s cause he’s also one of our best players at attacking the ball in the air.

Our corners are rage inducing

We're shit at them. Nobody seems to be able to take them, and it doesn't even look like they practice. A professional footballer that fails to beat the first man with his corner should be running laps of the pitch until their ****ing vomiting. Absolutely zero excuse for that. Can't hit a dead ball despite practising for circa 20 years? **** right off. 

Zero excuse for it. Grant the best of a very bad bunch. Cochrane just floats everything in so the keeper can catch it and doesn't learn and Forrest's are utter wank. McKays are an abomination. 

Shit, shitter and shitiest. 

Jamb04life

Don’t get me wrong, a lot of corners are pish and fail to beat the first man, however other than Kent and Halkett, does any1 else actually look like scoring a header when a decent ball gets put in?! 

Said on another threat, we need to mix it up, play it short or work it into the box in other ways 

18Jambo_dave74
4 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

That’s cause he’s also one of our best players at attacking the ball in the air.

Pretty pointless if the corners are garbage though isn’t it. 

Russ1977
7 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Pretty pointless if the corners are garbage though isn’t it. 

Agreed. It’s a bit of a catch 22 situation 

Diego10

We aren't any worse at corners than any other team in the league.  In fact i think only Dundee had more goals from them last time i checked.

Ronald Villiers

Seen Dhanda plenty of times over the past couple of years.  He's great at free kicks and corners.  Even scored direct from a corner against the vermin last season.

Jambof3tornado
44 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

We've others who can head a ball but none who can deliver consistently. Get him on the corners.

Russ1977
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

We've others who can head a ball but none who can deliver consistently. Get him on the corners.

We couldn’t do any worse 

18 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

We aren't any worse at corners than any other team in the league.  In fact i think only Dundee had more goals from them last time i checked.

Aye but .......... 🤷‍♀️

Bazzas right boot

I reckon it's the pesky defensive team that's the issue, they try and stop us.

How dare they!

Funny enough, we don't let other teams score either from corners, we try to stop them anaw....grrrr.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Because we badly need players who can do that. Between Forrest, Cochrane and Grant, we must have the shittiest corner takers in the league. Don't they even practise crossing?

Nobody makes any real attempt to connect anyway tbh.

King prawn
12 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I reckon it's the pesky defensive team that's the issue, they try and stop us.

How dare they!

Funny enough, we don't let other teams score either from corners, we try to stop them anaw....grrrr.

We make it easy for those pesky defences by not beating the first man!

PaddysBar

Lumping corners into the box against a defence who are much bigger and stronger is plain daft to be honest. 

We should do short corners when we’re outnumbered 2/3-1 and they’re all massive. 

heartmussel

Austin McPhee is a huge miss for set pieces , made a huge difference in Aston Villas set up and one of the best in the business for the technical side of the game setting up and defending.

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, OTT said:

We're shit at them. Nobody seems to be able to take them, and it doesn't even look like they practice. A professional footballer that fails to beat the first man with his corner should be running laps of the pitch until their ****ing vomiting. Absolutely zero excuse for that. Can't hit a dead ball despite practising for circa 20 years? **** right off. 

Zero excuse for it. Grant the best of a very bad bunch. Cochrane just floats everything in so the keeper can catch it and doesn't learn and Forrest's are utter wank. McKays are an abomination. 

Not far wrong with all of that mate.

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Russ1977 said:

We only have two good players at attacking the ball in the air.  Neither were playing today. 

2 hours ago, Diego10 said:

The stats are likely somewhat skewed by how many penalties Rangers win from corners.

Russ1977
38 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We only have two good players at attacking the ball in the air.  Neither were playing today. 

Yip which leaves Kingsley as the best we’ve got at the moment 

I’m sure it was Pep who got the City analysis guys do to a study on corners and the results were they’re a waste of time very few goals are scored from them. I’m more concerned by how long it takes us to deliver a cross into the box always an extra touch or cut inside or hit and hope.

Edited by Rudy T

Jambo61
3 hours ago, jamboozy said:

I don’t know why we get all excited when we end up with a corner?  We don’t have a player that can deliver a decent one, and if we can’t do that from a dead ball situation, what chance have got of delivering a decent cross from open play?

To be fair....we hardly have anyone, other than Shanks, that is a threat from a decent cross in any case!

PaddysBar
2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I’m sure it was Pep who got the City analysis guys do to a study on corners and the results were they’re a waste of time very few goals are scored from them. I’m more concerned by how long it takes us to deliver a cross into the box always an extra touch or cut inside or hit and hope.

Agree but it doesn’t take pep and analysis, just years of watching corners getting shelled in and headed out. 

Think the overall stats are one goal every 25 corners on average. 

Every team has stopped blootering goal kicks up the park as 9/10 it leads to the opposition getting the ball so why we still cross corners in when every opposition defence is taller than our forwards and there’s more of them than us is beyond me. 

Hmfc1965
57 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

And yet he has Foden taking them.

Hmfc1965
49 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Agree but it doesn’t take pep and analysis, just years of watching corners getting shelled in and headed out. 

Think the overall stats are one goal every 25 corners on average. 

Every team has stopped blootering goal kicks up the park as 9/10 it leads to the opposition getting the ball so why we still cross corners in when every opposition defence is taller than our forwards and there’s more of them than us is beyond me. 

As others have said we actually have not a bad record from corners this season which contrasts with previous seasons for as long as I can remember.

They were shite today right enough.

jbee647
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Something like between 2-5% of goals are scored from a corner, yet fans all over the world get excited when they get one.

This only goes to show that we are probably wasting our energies cheering when we get one, wheras we would be far better buying the guy from Morton (Strapp ?) that guy can chuck a ball for ****ing miles and with pace …

41 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Something like between 2-5% of goals are scored from a corner, yet fans all over the world get excited when they get one.

This only goes to show that we are probably wasting our energies cheering when we get one, wheras we would be far better buying the guy from Morton (Strapp ?) that guy can chuck a ball for ****ing miles and with pace …

I was about to rubbish this because I thought he was much older than he actually is! :D 

He's only 24, not an awful idea tbh. We got Ryan Stevenson from Ayr and he did a bloody good job for us. Likewise Webster from Arbroath. 

Worth a look if nothing else!!

jamboozy
9 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

To be fair....we hardly have anyone, other than Shanks, that is a threat from a decent cross in any case!

This is also true.

Threedoorsdown

I think this is a generational thing. Tactics, keeper protection, modern rules and the sheer heigh of the players mean corners really are as much of a danger as they are an opportunity in todays game.

Something ridiculous like 2% of corners end in a goal. Take them short, keep possession ticking over.

Edited by Threedoorsdown

Jim_Duncan
9 hours ago, jbee647 said:

I remember a European coach mocking British fans for roaring every time they got a corner. “A failed attack” he called it. 

ScandinavianJambo
15 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Lumping corners into the box against a defence who are much bigger and stronger is plain daft to be honest. 

We should do short corners when we’re outnumbered 2/3-1 and they’re all massive. 

We certainly have an high issue....our set pieces haven been great of late.

john thomas
15 hours ago, heartmussel said:

Austin McPhee is a huge miss for set pieces , made a huge difference in Aston Villas set up and one of the best in the business for the technical side of the game setting up and defending.

👍

By The Light..
17 hours ago, OTT said:

This.

Absolutely 100% all of this!

GET IT SORTED NAISMITH.

Lone Striker
18 minutes ago, By The Light.. said:

This.

Absolutely 100% all of this!

GET IT SORTED NAISMITH.

Yep, definitely needs attention on the training pitch.   Short corners allow for many more  options anyway, and draws the  defenders out too -  its crazy why we persist in taking a corner   aimlessly into a crowded box.