International Call Ups

RustyRightPeg

RustyRightPeg

10 of them.

Most I can remember at any one time for a long time.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboinglasgow

• HMFC01

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to see that Steve Clarke has requested performance data for Stephen Kingsley. Absolutely right he should be under consideration. Been excellent again this season. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Good to see youngsters get their call ups too. 8 full 1 under 21 and under 19. Oda injured may have been with a Japan side and Hof cant be far away either, Cammy may have a chance again, Kingsley on the verge of Scotland set up, surprised he has gone with Cooper over him, not played much and is just about finished with Leeds. Great character though, probably left in for leadership.

Fort Vallance

I've got mixed thoughts about players being away with their countries. It's great to see them being recognised and great for them individually.  It adds value to them if we were to sell. As long as they all come back uninjured and not jet lagged.

I remember years ago players used to come back unsettled when they found out what other players were earning at other clubs. Suspect these days are gone.

Benny Klack

Brilliant to see - again it’s a credit to both Savage (for bringing a lot of them in) and the coaching team for improving their levels. 

Good news just keeps coming 👍

1 minute ago, Benny Klack said:

Brilliant to see - again it’s a credit to both Savage (for bringing a lot of them in) and the coaching team for improving their levels

Good news just keeps coming 👍

This is what I've been most impressed with since Naisy has come in. Seems to bring out the best in players and knows how develop them. Something our previous managers were very poor at.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Good to see that Steve Clarke has requested performance data for Stephen Kingsley. Absolutely right he should be under consideration. Been excellent again this season. 

:spoton:

If ever a player deserves to be looked at it’s him. Clark has his favourites and there are some good defenders but Kingsley would be an exceptional defensive utility player to have in the squad. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/ten-hearts-players-called-up-for-international-duty-4556011

Gordon, Clark, Shankland, Sibbick, Rowles, Atkinson, Denholm u21, Tait u19, Vargas, Lembikisa.    Well done. 

Still got others that could be called up.   Kingsley as a back up, Devlin, Nieuwenhof, Oda, Tagawa, Wilson, other youths as well. 

We're jam packed full of internationals :jambobanana:

Benny Klack
10 minutes ago, Chimp said:

This is what I've been most impressed with since Naisy has come in. Seems to bring out the best in players and knows how develop them. Something our previous managers were very poor at.

Definitely - Alan Forrest being one - perhaps even Shankland as well this season?

It’s their management of the likes of Denholm, Tait, Wilson and Pollock which is also night and day from Bob. 

8 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Definitely - Alan Forrest being one - perhaps even Shankland as well this season?

It’s their management of the likes of Denholm, Tait, Wilson and Pollock which is also night and day from Bob. 

yep 👍

jamboinglasgow
20 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Same. I do think that in Scottish football, a manager who can improve players and get the most out of them should be what every club should aim for but I think you dont see it that often with coaches.

It is also key if we want to sell players on in the future.

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

Same. I do think that in Scottish football, a manager who can improve players and get the most out of them should be what every club should aim for but I think you dont see it that often with coaches.

It is also key if we want to sell players on in the future.

Absolutely.

Jamboross

Currently 159 international caps scattered throughout the squad, though admittedly nearly half of them are Gordon's, but for what is a relatively young squad that's some excellent experience to have around the place. 

Benny Klack
18 minutes ago, Dazo said:

:spoton:

If ever a player deserves to be looked at it’s him. Clark has his favourites and there are some good defenders but Kingsley would be an exceptional defensive utility player to have in the squad. 

Absolutely - never seems to have on off day, is flexible in terms of can play in a 3 or a 4, very calm on the ball and a wonderful threat from free kicks.

Miles ahead of fecking Taylor and Ralston. The pair of them would be nowhere near the squad if they weren’t at Celtic. 

1 minute ago, Benny Klack said:

Absolutely - never seems to have on off day, is flexible in terms of can play in a 3 or a 4, very calm on the ball and a wonderful threat from free kicks.

Miles ahead of fecking Taylor and Ralston. The pair of them would be nowhere near the squad if they weren’t at Celtic. 

Yep. For all of Clark’s good he has done he still has that OF blindness where inferior Scottish players get picked just because they are at Celtic or rangers. 

Gundermann

Shame the Hof is injured. He has to be in contention given recent form.

The Treasurer

Kingsley must be top of the reserve list if anyone drops out through injury 

Daveandal
16 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

He is playing in an area well covered BUT if Hickey and Tierney are injured I'd be surprised if he at least isn't in the summer friendly squad before the tournament.

boag1874
20 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Aye he’ll be right near the top, it especially helps his case being comfortable anywhere in the back 3 too

Mikey1874
37 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Shame the Hof is injured. He has to be in contention given recent form.

He's in the Australian U23 Olympics squad for now. That's not going to change for now. Play their qualifying tournament the U23 Asian Cup 15 April to 3 May so that might be a tricky discussion re availability.

But after that must have decent shout to get in full squad..

Gundermann
59 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He's in the Australian U23 Olympics squad for now. That's not going to change for now. Play their qualifying tournament the U23 Asian Cup 15 April to 3 May so that might be a tricky discussion re availability.

But after that must have decent shout to get in full squad..

Scotsman article hinted that only his injury kept him out. Maybe ready for the step up?

Go for it 1308
3 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

I've got mixed thoughts about players being away with their countries. It's great to see them being recognised and great for them individually.  It adds value to them if we were to sell. As long as they all come back uninjured and not jet lagged.

I remember years ago players used to come back unsettled when they found out what other players were earning at other clubs. Suspect these days are gone.

Ffs 🙄

GavK1012
2 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Is that it ?

It's all it needs tbf...

🤐🫣

Fort Vallance
54 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

It's all it needs tbf...

🤐🫣

Hearts first, Scotland second. Hardly controversial. 

ShedBoy
3 minutes ago, briever said:

r/HeartofMidlothianFC - Kenny Vargas called up for Costa Rica
Love seeing Heart of Midlothian on the Costa Rica squad sheet. 

It really is a name of beauty.

I used to love when the boy read our name out on Grandstand when I was wee 🤣

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, briever said:

r/HeartofMidlothianFC - Kenny Vargas called up for Costa Rica
Love seeing Heart of Midlothian on the Costa Rica squad sheet. 

Agree, and I also love to see that Montreal has been annexed by the U.S. of A.

briever
6 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Agree, and I also love to see that Montreal has been annexed by the U.S. of A.

The CanukFrogs with go mental.

briever
1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

It really is a name of beauty.

I used to love when the boy read our name out on Grandstand when I was wee 🤣

Scotland is the land of magnificent fitba team names.

Go for it 1308
9 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

No offence mate....but do you stay in bed all day, just in case you might get knocked down by a car if you go outside?

Edited by Go for it 1308

Fort Vallance
17 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

No offence mate....but do you stay in bed all day, just in case you might get knocked down by a car if you go outside?

I might get knocked down by a car in Dingwall. WTF are you on about ?

Go for it 1308
3 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

I might get knocked down by a car in Dingwall. WTF are you on about ?

By your logic ...if a player gets pick for a national team 'Heads might get turned'    'they might get injured '    heaven forbid 'they might suffer from jetlag' ffs

RustyRightPeg

Hanley has withdrawn from the Scotland Squad.

Every chance Kingsley goes now.

Bob Loblaw
6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Hanley has withdrawn from the Scotland Squad.

Every chance Kingsley goes now.

I don't think we'll call anyone up for Hanley. Clarke named 7 players who can play CH in the squad so are pretty well covered. I think Kinglsey would be much more likely if a LB or Tierney drops out.

RustyRightPeg
13 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I don't think we'll call anyone up for Hanley. Clarke named 7 players who can play CH in the squad so are pretty well covered. I think Kinglsey would be much more likely if a LB or Tierney drops out.

I think he kinda has to. Gets them bedded in on the off chance there's more injuries between now and the end of the season and they're needed in the summer.

Bob Loblaw
12 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I think he kinda has to. Gets them bedded in on the off chance there's more injuries between now and the end of the season and they're needed in the summer.

I think he's deliberately named more CH's than he can take to use this set of games to assess his options. Even with Hanley out he'll likely need to cut the numbers not add more so think he'll go with what he's got this week.

Maybe not though, and if he does add someone Kingsley has to be right up there.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/cxxzykrdg72o

Carver on Shankland, Netherlands and cupboards

Kheredine Idessane

Role,BBC Sport Scotland

Scotland assistant manager John Carver has been speaking to the media ahead of the national team's friendly with The Netherlands on Friday.

Here are the key points:

Steve Clarke has a "good idea" of who will be on the plane to Germany, but somebody could "come out from behind the cupboard" to earn a place late on. There might be "two or three" places up for grabs.

There could be "another Lawrence Shankland who appears from nowhere". The Hearts striker impressed the Scotland camp with his goal against Georgia, adding he's "a goalscorer, and that's what we need".

Friday's game is a "friendly with an edge" due to the competitiveness in the squad and "nobody wanting to miss out".

"Waiting to find out" on Aaron Hickey, but the hope is he could be back in contention for Brentford in "two-three weeks".

There won't be a replacement for the injured Grant Hanley, who dropped out on Tuesday morning: "we're well covered there".

JamboGH
On 15/03/2024 at 10:09, Carter said:

With Hanley out, he should be drafted in. Even just for a half to see how he does in the Tierney role

Are there any other tournaments on at the same time as the Euros ? If so then we must be looking at a fair bit of compensation for call ups in the summer 

Mikey1874
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Are there any other tournaments on at the same time as the Euros ? If so then we must be looking at a fair bit of compensation for call ups in the summer 

Olympic Games this summer. 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

If Costa Rica beat Honduras on Saturday then it means they go to the Copa America in the summer. So Vargas could be away.

There is also the summer Olympics, which if Japan and Australia get through could mean Oda will likely be away, possibly Neuwenhof.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Olympic Games this summer. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

If Costa Rica beat Honduras on Saturday then it means they go to the Copa America in the summer. So Vargas could be away.

There is also the summer Olympics, which if Japan and Australia get through could mean Oda will likely be away, possibly Neuwenhof.

Do we get compensation for call ups for these two tournaments 

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Do we get compensation for call ups for these two tournaments 

I would imagine there is some form of compensation for the Copa America, because clubs get it for players at the World Cup and Euros, though I would imagine it being a lot lower. 

Not sure about the Olympics, it may be seen differently.

PortyJambo
19 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Kheredine Idessane

Role,BBC Sport Scotland

Scotland assistant manager John Carver has been speaking to the media ahead of the national team's friendly with The Netherlands on Friday.

Here are the key points:

Steve Clarke has a "good idea" of who will be on the plane to Germany, but somebody could "come out from behind the cupboard" to earn a place late on. There might be "two or three" places up for grabs.

There could be "another Lawrence Shankland who appears from nowhere". The Hearts striker impressed the Scotland camp with his goal against Georgia, adding he's "a goalscorer, and that's what we need".

Friday's game is a "friendly with an edge" due to the competitiveness in the squad and "nobody wanting to miss out".

"Waiting to find out" on Aaron Hickey, but the hope is he could be back in contention for Brentford in "two-three weeks".

There won't be a replacement for the injured Grant Hanley, who dropped out on Tuesday morning: "we're well covered there".

I also read that he'd said he was sick being asked about Anderson, Barnes, Livramento and Gray, and that it was unlikely anyone would come out of nowhere to get a place in the Euro squad unless they were "outstanding". The loyalty word was mentioned too, so I doubt anyone who was England qualified but suddenly decides to declare for Scotland pre tournament will be considered. Maybe if they declare after the Euros, they'll be considered for future squads (it sounds like Anderson has been written off though).

It does seem like they're watching Tommy Conway and Ryan Hardie as forward options though.

RustyRightPeg
16 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I also read that he'd said he was sick being asked about Anderson, Barnes, Livramento and Gray, and that it was unlikely anyone would come out of nowhere to get a place in the Euro squad unless they were "outstanding". The loyalty word was mentioned too, so I doubt anyone who was England qualified but suddenly decides to declare for Scotland pre tournament will be considered. Maybe if they declare after the Euros, they'll be considered for future squads (it sounds like Anderson has been written off though).

It does seem like they're watching Tommy Conway and Ryan Hardie as forward options though.

Archie Gray is a must. We need to do everything possible to get him on board.

Boys going to the top.

Jim_Duncan
20 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Kheredine Idessane

Role,BBC Sport Scotland

Here are the key points:

Shankland appeared out of nowhere did he, Carver?

Scored a bucketload last season and again this. Already had an international goal (okay, against San Marino) from 2019. 

jamboinglasgow
13 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Archie Gray is a must. We need to do everything possible to get him on board.

Boys going to the top.

I do think that ship may have sailed, Southgate has already been talking him (and a few other U21s) up about joining the squad. 

I do think players in the English youth teams who can play for Scotland need to weigh things up. I understand they want to play for England but with the amount of talent England is producing chances are much more limited then they were even 5 years ago. 

I am surprised that we have not got anyone to declare for Scotland, this would have been the ideal time to get a quality player to play for Scotland.