Moving to Australia

Legend Claws

Legend Claws

Anyone on here up-sticks and moved to Australia? How's it been? We're heading over a month (did a year previously) and have a feeling we're all going to want to stay (obviously need to come home first). Quite fortunate that both my wife and I have skills they need and we're under the 45 year old age limit.

Day@theraces

How many big spiders did you come across in your previous trip. That's the one thing that would stop me from ever going to that place.

joondalupjambo
7 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

Anyone on here up-sticks and moved to Australia? How's it been? We're heading over a month (did a year previously) and have a feeling we're all going to want to stay (obviously need to come home first). Quite fortunate that both my wife and I have skills they need and we're under the 45 year old age limit.

Yep we did.  Did a full year in 2000 then moved over in 2003 then moved back here in 2016.  Fantastic times and no regrets on any of the moves.  We were in Perth where you heading?

Greedy Jambo

It's got to be far too hot over there now, surely? 

Or is climate change a myth...

the sub goalie

I can’t offer any personal experience as never even but an ex colleague emigrated to oz a few year back. He says it’s the best thing he ever done and the quality of life is incredible.

jock _turd

If you are going to work there it will be the same as living in Scotland with  much better weather. I have relatives over there and they love it but it is what you make it. I live in France am retired an love it BUT I have a house in Edinburgh and can return at the drop of a hat... it is a long way back from down under, and don't forget your a whinging pom 😂 Mind you you will have a good Scittish accent they will be shiting it from you. Brothers mate moved there and got a evening job on the doors at a pub based purely on his accent they werre shitting it 😂

Edited by jock _turd

hughesie27

Whereabout? Melbourne is the correct answer.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Why would you want to leave Scotland? 😂 Don't blame you this country is in the bin

Good luck and all the best 

I briefly worked in a hospital in Sydney.

Australia is a horrendous place.

Legend Claws
3 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

How many big spiders did you come across in your previous trip. That's the one thing that would stop me from ever going to that place.

One big fella, shat it!

Legend Claws
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Whereabout? Melbourne is the correct answer.

Was there for 3 months, loved it! 

Legend Claws
3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep we did.  Did a full year in 2000 then moved over in 2003 then moved back here in 2016.  Fantastic times and no regrets on any of the moves.  We were in Perth where you heading?

Thanks for that.

We're doing a lot in the time as have a lot of people to see, but it's basically Adelaide> port Douglas (lived there previously) > Sydney and then Perth to pick up a camper van and head north from there with Monkey Mia being the last stop. Fly home from Perth. When we were there for a year we travelled so much, all states included Tasmania.

1 hour ago, Legend Claws said:

Thanks for that.

We're doing a lot in the time as have a lot of people to see, but it's basically Adelaide> port Douglas (lived there previously) > Sydney and then Perth to pick up a camper van and head north from there with Monkey Mia being the last stop. Fly home from Perth. When we were there for a year we travelled so much, all states included Tasmania.

A wee map of where we travelled in a campervan.

Screenshot_20240214-082422~2.png

cosanostra

Been living in / around Fremantle, WA for 9 years. It's superb over here. I've got 3 young kids and the advantages they have over life in Scotland are immense. I had a decent paying job in Scotland but I more than doubled my earnings over here. Got a pretty big big piece of land less than 1km from Coogee beach. I have way more time and disposable income and a better / larger home than at any point in my life. 

I miss friends and family and watching Hearts and Scotland live but I watch pretty much every game online. 

If I was in my 20s and wanted to party, I'd have chosen Melbourne but at my age with kids, Perth is exactly the right place for me. It's a happy place over here as the minimum wage is high enough that even minimum wage earners can buy a house, car, have barbecues in the sun and swim in the sea for 9 months a year. Hardly anyone I've ever met seems to regret the move. May as well give it a bash.

jamb0_1874
6 hours ago, cazzyy said:

How long did this take you? 

Legend Claws
6 hours ago, cazzyy said:

Nice!

Herbert.

You should join some pages on facebook, I'm moving to New Zealand next month hopfully so joined pages like brits in NZ, You will quickly realise you need to avoid other ex pats. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
23 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

Moved to Melbourne in 2008. Never looked back. We moved at the right time as the kids were 6 and 3 then. Now they are 22 and 19 :vrface:

My wife's skills were the ones they wanted as she's a paediatric nurse so we were granted permanent residency the moment we landed. Quite a weird feeling being entitled to benefits like Medicare straight away when you haven't contributed.

Where are you planning to move to?

Geoff Kilpatrick
14 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

This weekend has been 36C, 39C and 37C tomorrow.

Not pleasant, especially at night.

Legend Claws
8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Moved to Melbourne in 2008. Never looked back. We moved at the right time as the kids were 6 and 3 then. Now they are 22 and 19 :vrface:

My wife's skills were the ones they wanted as she's a paediatric nurse so we were granted permanent residency the moment we landed. Quite a weird feeling being entitled to benefits like Medicare straight away when you haven't contributed.

Where are you planning to move to?

Sounds ideal. Love Melbourne, was there for 3 months a while ago. We don't really know TBH, my wife and I have experienced so much of the country so have a good idea of many areas. This time we're going to be in Adelaide, Port Douglas (worked there), Sydney and Perth so can have a fresh perspective on them. Perth does appeal. I remember getting to Melbourne in March and it was 39c and then couple months later I was wearing a hat on the way to work, mad!

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 minutes ago, Legend Claws said:

Sounds ideal. Love Melbourne, was there for 3 months a while ago. We don't really know TBH, my wife and I have experienced so much of the country so have a good idea of many areas. This time we're going to be in Adelaide, Port Douglas (worked there), Sydney and Perth so can have a fresh perspective on them. Perth does appeal. I remember getting to Melbourne in March and it was 39c and then couple months later I was wearing a hat on the way to work, mad!

Love Port Douglas. God knows what state the roads are in between it and Cairns after the cyclone earlier this year. Was up there in July past and stayed at the Shantara. Would recommend.

Legend Claws
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Love Port Douglas. God knows what state the roads are in between it and Cairns after the cyclone earlier this year. Was up there in July past and stayed at the Shantara. Would recommend.

Road clear now thankfully. Thanks re Shantar, I remember it well. We've booked an apartment by the water.

joondalupjambo
13 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Been living in / around Fremantle, WA for 9 years. It's superb over here. I've got 3 young kids and the advantages they have over life in Scotland are immense. I had a decent paying job in Scotland but I more than doubled my earnings over here. Got a pretty big big piece of land less than 1km from Coogee beach. I have way more time and disposable income and a better / larger home than at any point in my life. 

I miss friends and family and watching Hearts and Scotland live but I watch pretty much every game online. 

If I was in my 20s and wanted to party, I'd have chosen Melbourne but at my age with kids, Perth is exactly the right place for me. It's a happy place over here as the minimum wage is high enough that even minimum wage earners can buy a house, car, have barbecues in the sun and swim in the sea for 9 months a year. Hardly anyone I've ever met seems to regret the move. May as well give it a bash.

Coogee that brings back memories. When we first lived there Coogee Beach was deserted in the main with little infrastructure.  Think the main beach car park, the furthest one south had a caravan park and a kiosk and that was it.  By the time we left in 2016 it was changing fast with lots of new housing.  Last place we lived was Mosman Park.  We used to walk up to the top of the hill there, past all the fabulous homes and then strolled along the riverside pathway all the way into Freo for our daily coffee and cake.  If that is not something you have done it is well worth a visit.  Freo was always a bit too touristy for us to stay there but the pull of the food places and Little Creatures was always great reasons to visit on a regular basis.

I think you are right.  You get more bang for your buck down there and the Perth lifestyle suits families.  We alway tell folk who are thinking of going there, who have kids go because they will love it.  The bit that gets folk though, as you will appreciate is how remote it is.   

How built up is Coogee now?  It was an Italian area mainly in the past but can imagine it will have changed a lot?  I must get onto Google maps and have a look.

8 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

How long did this take you? 

3 months although we were there for 11 months in total. 27,000 Kms we put on that van.

Day@theraces
20 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

One big fella, shat it!

A Huntsman no doubt. Despite being one of the harmless buggers and food for pest control, they are terrifying.

Greedy Jambo
9 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

This weekend has been 36C, 39C and 37C tomorrow.

Not pleasant, especially at night.

Aye, that's what i thought. 

a 2 week holiday in Cyprus was a 1 week too much for me. 

Greenbank2
On 10/03/2024 at 03:15, jock _turd said:

If you are going to work there it will be the same as living in Scotland with  much better weather. I have relatives over there and they love it but it is what you make it. I live in France am retired an love it BUT I have a house in Edinburgh and can return at the drop of a hat... it is a long way back from down under, and don't forget your a whinging pom 😂 Mind you you will have a good Scittish accent they will be shiting it from you. Brothers mate moved there and got a evening job on the doors at a pub based purely on his accent they werre shitting it 😂

and a much better standard of living, and double the pay, and a better work life balance, and more holidays, and less tax....etc etc. family and grandchirdren are there. Came back for an extended visit (turned out to be 2 years) in 2021. Confirmed what a shit country the UK is. All the best to you.

Been here for 25 years. 

Its not for everyone - things can be a little different, but if you enjoy the outdoor life, great food, good weather, sports, bbqs, spending time at the beach, bushwalking, wide open spaces, exciting cities, then you'll love it.

You might not like the cost of everything and how far away you are from family.  You'll get annoyed that they call basic everyday items by slightly different names (doonas??? Manchester?????), you'll get annoyed that the news on TV is so parochial (but then again, so is BBC Scotland and STV) .  That all passes with time though.

After a few years you don't even notice the annoying nasal aussie accent.  

A good mate of mine moved his family out there in October last year. They are in Perth.

They seem to be loving it so far. 

Ron Burgundy
On 09/03/2024 at 20:02, Greedy Jambo said:

It's near Antarctica which has all but melted so most of Australia is now underwater.

jamb0_1874
19 hours ago, cazzyy said:

3 months although we were there for 11 months in total. 27,000 Kms we put on that van.

Nice, I've only done the east coast but I do quite fancy doing the west coast also.  

6 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Nice, I've only done the east coast but I do quite fancy doing the west coast also.  

Completely different landscapes as you probably know. I much preferred the west coast although you can travel for many hours without seeing anything or anyone. What you do see is amazing though. The Pinnacles, Monkey Mia, Cable Beach at Broome, Katherine Gorge,  Coral Bay and some of the oldest living organisms on Earth on the Ningaloo Reef (stromatolites). It's 20 years since we done it and the memories are so vivid it feels much more recent.

Legend Claws
On 10/03/2024 at 09:34, Herbert. said:

You should join some pages on facebook, I'm moving to New Zealand next month hopfully so joined pages like brits in NZ, You will quickly realise you need to avoid other ex pats. 

Thanks good tip 

Legend Claws
2 hours ago, cazzyy said:

Completely different landscapes as you probably know. I much preferred the west coast although you can travel for many hours without seeing anything or anyone. What you do see is amazing though. The Pinnacles, Monkey Mia, Cable Beach at Broome, Katherine Gorge,  Coral Bay and some of the oldest living organisms on Earth on the Ningaloo Reef (stromatolites). It's 20 years since we done it and the memories are so vivid it feels much more recent.

We're doing Perth to monkey mia and the sights in-between in a camper, really looking forward to it.

Legend Claws
10 hours ago, Homme said:

A good mate of mine moved his family out there in October last year. They are in Perth.

They seem to be loving it so far. 

Thanks mate

Legend Claws
14 hours ago, Sydney said:

Been here for 25 years. 

Its not for everyone - things can be a little different, but if you enjoy the outdoor life, great food, good weather, sports, bbqs, spending time at the beach, bushwalking, wide open spaces, exciting cities, then you'll love it.

You might not like the cost of everything and how far away you are from family.  You'll get annoyed that they call basic everyday items by slightly different names (doonas??? Manchester?????), you'll get annoyed that the news on TV is so parochial (but then again, so is BBC Scotland and STV) .  That all passes with time though.

After a few years you don't even notice the annoying nasal aussie accent.  

Thanks mate. The year I was there was a good taster for the people etc. not bothered about the news on TV really. 

Legend Claws
17 hours ago, Greenbank2 said:

and a much better standard of living, and double the pay, and a better work life balance, and more holidays, and less tax....etc etc. family and grandchirdren are there. Came back for an extended visit (turned out to be 2 years) in 2021. Confirmed what a shit country the UK is. All the best to you.

Yeah I know from experience it's very different to here!