Come on the Newco…

HeartsandonlyHearts

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

That's more than likely not good enough for EL Q4, we need to build our own

The sheep got quite fortunate because Frankfurt didn't care about the last ECL Group match, gifting 2 points; they only had 3 points from 3 draws before KO; in the end they got 5, 1 better than we did with 2 wins the previous year

They're now on 11, despite a strike-out in the year before, but surely another strike-out, baah-ah 🐑, 😆

The new Format is mental too, there's no pots now, so club coefficient means nowt there, plus there's no drop-down, so I've heard, from the top 2 tournaments to a knockout round in the tournaments below, which will have an effect on points gained for some Teams / Countries

-

The "Swiss Format" is kind of a neat change IMO, and would have been better for us last season as we very likely would have had an easier draw—even if we drew Fiorentina for one match out of pot 2, we'd almost certainly have drawn someone considerably easier in another round.

I had missed that there was no drop-down for the knockout phase. In some ways that probably makes the knockout rounds a bit easier for us should we qualify, as we're less likely to end up against bigger clubs that have dropped in from the EL. And it's sensible too—the group stages (or "league stages" I guess now) are big money makers for those that participate in them (particularly with two matches added to the CL and EL), so heaping the additional benefit of knockout parachutes seems excessive. But as you say, there's some teams and associations that have benefited from those drop-downs.

55 minutes ago, kila said:

You think Rangers or Celtic would be fine without the European money on tap every season?

Rangers have gotten CL group money exactly once in their existence. There's little chance they aren't going to make the EL league stage going forward, even if they miss out on the CL.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Watt-Zeefuik

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

The "Swiss Format" is kind of a neat change IMO, and would have been better for us last season as we very likely would have had an easier draw—even if we drew Fiorentina for one match out of pot 2, we'd almost certainly have drawn someone considerably easier in another round.

I had missed that there was no drop-down for the knockout phase. In some ways that probably makes the knockout rounds a bit easier for us should we qualify, as we're less likely to end up against bigger clubs that have dropped in from the EL. And it's sensible too—the group stages (or "league stages" I guess now) are big money makers for those that participate in them (particularly with two matches added to the CL and EL), so heaping the additional benefit of knockout parachutes seems excessive. But as you say, there's some teams and associations that have benefited from those drop-downs.

Yes, but who, I wonder, is going to benefit from the new Format?

Some country that was dragging their ass, perhaps?

Switzerland, maybe, funnily enough?

Notably, too, this year, that Holland have had their march into the top 5 halted, having had gains the last 4 years in a row, with France occupying 5th; not over yet, though

The ECL is allowing massive gains for turkey, israel, norway, denmark and the czechs below us; hopefully the lack of drop-down helps us, but all countries in same boat, I suppose

Reeks of cliques, so it does

Irufushi
On 08/03/2024 at 05:11, Arthur Morgan said:

You do know they don't count anymore? Unless I'm missing the joke?

😂

Mikey1874
16 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Yes, but who, I wonder, is going to benefit from the new Format?

Some country that was dragging their ass, perhaps?

Switzerland, maybe, funnily enough?

Notably, too, this year, that Holland have had their march into the top 5 halted, having had gains the last 4 years in a row, with France occupying 5th; not over yet, though

The ECL is allowing massive gains for turkey, israel, norway, denmark and the czechs below us; hopefully the lack of drop-down helps us, but all countries in same boat, I suppose

Reeks of cliques, so it does

The benefit is competing with the idea of the Super League. Champions League in particular looking tired and trying to stay on top.

Ricardo Quaresma
5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The benefit is competing with the idea of the Super League. Champions League in particular looking tired and trying to stay on top.

I think everyone knows that

Arthur Morgan
9 hours ago, Irufushi said:

😂

What was the joke? 😅

Bazzas right boot
On 08/03/2024 at 02:01, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

What comments would that be?

You started a whole thread on everyone oot about 2 months ago!

😭

No Idle Talk

Haha 

Well done thread starter, you sucked me in.

I was just about to go on a drink fuelled rant about Jambos supporting Rangers and then saw the OP wanted them to get beat. 😂

Really though. Every Hearts fan should just ignore OF matches and not give a toss which one of those scumbags win. They are both disgusting, reprehensible clubs. It's not top of my list of priorities for Hearts but getting rid of this 'wee Huns' tag is something I would dearly love to see. I want no association with that minging bigoted blue mob in Glasgow whatsoever.

martoon
21 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Haha 

Well done thread starter, you sucked me in.

I was just about to go on a drink fuelled rant about Jambos supporting Rangers and then saw the OP wanted them to get beat. 😂

Really though. Every Hearts fan should just ignore OF matches and not give a toss which one of those scumbags win. They are both disgusting, reprehensible clubs. It's not top of my list of priorities for Hearts but getting rid of this 'wee Huns' tag is something I would dearly love to see. I want no association with that minging bigoted blue mob in Glasgow whatsoever.

There is no association, bud.

Not for me.

Ever.

I suspect that every, non bigoted, supporter of Heart of Midlothian feels the same.

The only "association" is one concocted and perpepuated by the ignorant, bigoted, simple minded thickos who follow Celtic, Hibs and Rangers.

Edited by martoon

No Idle Talk
8 minutes ago, martoon said:

There is no association, bud.

Not for me.

Ever.

I suspect that every supporter of Heart of Midlothian feels the same.

The only "association" is one concocted and perpepuated by the ignorant, bigoted, simple minded thickos who follow Celtic, Hibs and Rangers.

Mate, there is no association for me either.

But you have been around this forum long enough to have seen that there are a few Jambos who do sympathise with that lot and stick up for them on a regular basis. It's an ugly thing and I don't get it.

martoon
2 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Mate, there is no association for me either.

But you have been around this forum long enough to have seen that there are a few Jambos who do sympathise with that lot and stick up for them on a regular basis. It's an ugly thing and I don't get it.

There are a few and, like you, I don't get it either.

I'm glad you took a few minutes to reply, btw, as my original post was a dugs dinner and took a lot of editing.

It's very late and I've had a few. 😄

No Idle Talk
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

There are a few and, like you, I don't get it either.

I'm glad you took a few minutes to reply, btw, as my original post was a dugs dinner and took a lot of editing.

It's very late and I've had a few. 😄

Haha me too buddy.

I think I'll be heading up the wooden staircase to Bedfordshire shortly.

martoon
37 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Haha me too buddy.

I think I'll be heading up the wooden staircase to Bedfordshire shortly.

😊