Come on the Newco…

HeartsandonlyHearts

NaturalOrder74

Can someone explain how the Scottish cup influences Europe places in simple terms ? I know we’re worse off if someone outside old firm win it, if we win it are we better off than third ? 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Watt-Zeefuik

Watt-Zeefuik
5 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Can someone explain how the Scottish cup influences Europe places in simple terms ? I know we’re worse off if someone outside old firm win it, if we win it are we better off than third ? 

If we win it we move slightly up the seeding in terms of whom we compete with, particularly in the Europa League playoff. I don't think it's a huge amount, but there are slots reserved specifically for cup winners that don't transfer to the third place team. I can't remember exactly what it is, but it's an improvement but not a major one.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think this may have only to do with the payouts, not with the seeding. I think we get a bit more cash if we're the cup winners and we end up in the same league as another Scottish side.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

Luckies1874

Sparta and Slavia Prague both getting pumped today is good for Scotland's co-efficient placing as the Czech Republic are a threat. 

Sooperstar
2 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

The winner of the Scottish Cup gets into the group stages of the Europa Conference league unless they finish in the top 2 in the league, in which case their reward for their league position is better than for winning the Cup. 

BigAlim

Cup winner gets the Europa play off spot so is guaranteed group stage football. 

KyleLafferty

Finish 3rd and Someone outside the OF and yourselves wins the cup we can only go into conference and have to qualify for it.

We or the OF win the cup and we finish 3rd we go into the Europa league play offs and if we fail to qualify we go straight into conference league group.

Mikey1874
5 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Don’t you know the 25/26 seasons for mat could change because of the Czech clubs creeping up the table 

Yes but we're still in line for 3rd place / Scottish Cup getting Conference Group guarantee whatever the Czechs do. 

They more affect the direct Champions League place for the league winners. 

Was wanting diedco pumped, not any more, hate cheats, Di Maria needs clattered...

buzzbomb1958
1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Finish 3rd and Someone outside the OF and yourselves wins the cup we can only go into conference and have to qualify for it.

We or the OF win the cup and we finish 3rd we go into the Europa league play offs and if we fail to qualify we go straight into conference league group.

It’s crazy how winning a cup over 5 or 6 games outdoes a season long campaign 

Hearts007

big chance Benfica  should have hit it first time

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes but we're still in line for 3rd place / Scottish Cup getting Conference Group guarantee whatever the Czechs do. 

They more affect the direct Champions League place for the league winners. 

With associations 8-12 getting EL playoff/ECL groups, it doesn't matter as much, but on the other hand if Scotland managed to get up to #7, the cup winner/third place gets automatic qualification to the EL group stages.

:wonga:

Mikey1874
8 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

With associations 8-12 getting EL playoff/ECL groups, it doesn't matter as much, but on the other hand if Scotland managed to get up to #7, the cup winner/third place gets automatic qualification to the EL group stages.

:wonga:

8 games too.

We're 9th currently battling Czechs for 10th.

Edited by Mikey1874

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

8 games too 

We'd need the OF doing well to get that high but it won't happen without a third or possibly fourth club picking up more points than we have traditionally.

We really need to help ourselves as much as possible in next season's European competitions.

Gorgie_Rules

Sparta Prague pumped by Liverpool. Good result co-efficient wise but could also mean they get a result in the return leg against a weakened Liverpool side. Slavia currently losing 3-2 away to AC Milan.

The issue is Viktoria Plzen who are currently drawing 0-0 away to Servette.

I believe we (Scotland) are marginally ahead of the Czech’s, however it could well come down to a straight up fight between Rangers and Viktoria Plzen’s progression on whether we retain the guaranteed group stage spot for the cup winner/3rd place.

Could be pretty crucial for us. For example if we go into the summer and the £5million carrot is still there at the end of the 24/25 season then thats a consideration when it comes to offers for Shankland.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Worthing Jambo
11 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Sparta and Slavia Prague both getting pumped today is good for Scotland's co-efficient placing as the Czech Republic are a threat. 

Slavia making a comeback!

Went to a Slavia game in December and I don’t know why we shit our pants against these teams.

The first half was diabolical, though to be fair, it did pick up second half.

Hospitality was very good though and I got to see Rudi’s shirt on the wall! 😄

neilnunb
1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

Just wont fall for Benfica

Can you try that again? 😁

Hearts007
Just now, neilnunb said:

Can you try that again? 😁

Just wont fall for Benfica :whistling:

Hearts007

they deserve to be level played the better football by far

SMJ_1874

The zombies are ripping this team apart. Another goal by the Huns with a fantastic header there by…..oh hang on a minute, that’s at the wrong end 🥴

buzzbomb1958
1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

:lolpoint: Goldson 2-2 Owngoal. 

Why didn’t he use his hands to save it …. Oh wait refs not Scottish 😜😜

Mikey1874
17 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Benfica will be ahead by the time the clock strikes 70.

Should have been. Good prediction. 

Hearts007
17 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Benfica will be ahead by the time the clock strikes 70.

Should have been

Sooperstar
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Should have been. Good prediction. 

1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

Should have been

Only a matter of time now. 

Was going to support Sevco because of coefficient but then I listened to the commentators.  Is the co-commentator Alex Rae? Come on Benfica...

neilnunb
Just now, RENE said:

Was going to support Sevco because of coefficient but then I listened to the commentators.  Is the co-commentator Alex Rae? Come on Benfica...

Alan Hutton (on TNT anyway)

Hearts007

Tavernier has been getting skinned most of the game

Smithian
3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Rangers manager on STV news just mentioned the gulf in finances between them and Benfica……… shameless bunch but no surprise.

I remember Giovanni van Bronckhorst complaining about finances after Ajax drubbed them.

Amazing how fast OF cry finances when they're in continental play.

BigAlim

Joao Neves plays like a seasoned pro in that midfield

10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Alan Hutton (on TNT anyway)

Bloody hell. Sounds like Rae

HeartsandonlyHearts

These haircuts are letting Benfica down.