Renaming the Scottish leagues

Watt-Zeefuik

Watt-Zeefuik

(Migrating from the Nieuwenhoff thread

Nobody refers to the top tier of France as "The French League One." It's Ligue 1 and everyone knows what you're talking about. Similarly with the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Eridivisie, and so on and so forth.

We used to be able to say the "SPL" and that was pithy enough but since the merger it's "the SPFL Premiership" or at best the "Scottish Prem," which just makes it sound like the poor cousin to the English counterpart. (Even worse, the SPFL adopted the ridiculous "Championship" moniker for the second tier in an even more obvious sop to imitating the English setup.)

Rest of the thread context below.

Watt-Zeefuik
23 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Minor quibble, but after the re-merger, it's the SPFL Premiership, not the SPL, which annoyingly (and stupidly in terms of branding IMO) doesn't have a quick handle other than the Scottish Prem.

My (probably equally stupid) suggestion continues to be that the league should come up with a nickname that's uniquely Scottish like "prìomh lìog" or something in Scots that's more like "La Liga" or Bundesliga and doesn't require making it sound like the poor cousin of the EPL, but thankfully nobody listens to me anyway.

16 hours ago, naeclue said:

The Stoater for me. Championship is the Wee Stoater, then The Beezer, wee Beezer.

I am serious. Gallus names. 

But need a new chief - there's nothing remotely Stoating about Neil Doncaster - the man's had some kind of charisma bypass imo.

3 hours ago, Musemic said:

League Yin

League Twa

League Three

League Fower

Sorted

10 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

The Braw League

The Bonnie League

Dreich League 1

Dreich League 2

Sorry - this is digressing from the magnificent Calem. Renaming the Scottish leagues requires a separate thread!

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Jack Torrance said:

Call it something exotic, like "Écosse".

Or the derrière

DG_HMFC

You get pundits, and people in the media, who still refer to our top league as the SPL. 

It's something that shouldn't annoy me, but it does. 

You also get some pundits, and fans alike, who call the top league the SPFL :lol:

We are never going to be taken serious if the people who are there to talk about our game can't even get the name of it correct.

boag1874

I hate that we took the English namIng structure, we also need bigger leagues & less of them too

SPFL 1
SPFL 2

Then the regional pyramid below, 

I can't say I've ever said 'Scottish' before any of the names of our leagues. I just call them the Premiership, Championship, League 1 and League 2. It's the diddy leagues that I clarify as being English. 

Having said that, I've never liked that league 1 is the third league and league 2 is actually the fourth. 

Bring back division 1-4. 

Daveandal

Division 1

Division 2

Division 3

Division 4

Sorted.

In my mind it's the premier league... I've not moved on since the 80s.... in many ways to be honest.

Bazzas right boot

LeagueyMcleague face div 1-4.

35 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

I hate that we took the English namIng structure, we also need bigger leagues & less of them too

SPFL 1
SPFL 2

Did the English not copy our name first, for the premier league? 

There should really be just 2 leagues and then regional ones below that

boag1874
Just now, XB52 said:

I just mean the divisions below being the championship, L1 & L2

Ministryofdad

Well done you've got me on a rant this morning.

SPL

Football manager 2008 bank of Scotland SPL 

Abbreviated to spl

Then lower leagues 

There are too many leagues in Scotland 

Too many teams in Scotland with a say.

Only 14 professional full time clubs in the country with a fan base to support it. 

Why on earth is there 42 clubs under the 2nd merger malgumated into now the so called SPFL

What's professional about part time referees in a supposed professional league? 

Why do clubs like stenhousemuir, airdrie, forfar ect who are not even full time clubs in the league still obtain some sort of clout over non clubs not on the board. 

The current board has James bisgrove on it (rangers CEO) guess where he came from and now is responsible for marketing for the league...... 

The former collapsed RBS

Marketing department for sport sponsorship for RBS. 

Same bank the UK tax payer owned 84% of and bailed out to the tune of £45 BILLION only to be sold for 1.2 billion losing us 40 billion we all are having to pay now for still. 

This clown on now on the board has done nothing to attract sponcership and was only put on it because celtic turn was over. 

I could go on and on and on. 

Blood pressure is spiking and it's not even 07:30 yet. 

Scottish football is a circus. A cesspit of deluded blinkered old farts reminiscing, fantasising about the good old days. 

Those days being over 40 ****ing years ago whilst everything else has surpassed it and Scottish football is the old man in the care home.

Only thing that works is his tadger. His nurse is angry with him as he has only pissed himself yet again! Day dreaming of the crowds at the 78 cup tie at home to Morton when a pint was 2p. Scotland were gonna win the world cup in Argentina and clubs held all the power regarding contracts. 

2 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

You get pundits, and people in the media, who still refer to our top league as the SPL. 

You also get some pundits, and fans alike, who call the top league the SPFL :lol:

We are never going to be taken serious if the people who are there to talk about our game can't even get the name of it correct.

‘SPL’ should now mean Scottish Premiership League, rolls of the tongue much better than ‘SPFL Premiership’ :laugh:

Percival King

A lot of them don't even seem to know what the two biggest clubs are called, and aren't called.

I thought SPS for Scottish PremierShip might have caught on. It's a bit of a fudge but better than SPL and SPFL which are clearly wrong! 

BigAlim

Top league = The Sausage Supper 

Second = The Haggis

Third = Neeps

Fourth = Tatties

Edited by BigAlim

davemclaren

We should name the leagues in Gaelic just to confuse the commentators. 

Ricardo Quaresma

The Premier League

League 1

League 2

League 3

TexasAndy

It's because we are drowned out by bigger neighbours.  I always thought it was beyond arrogant that they called it The Football League.

Wee Mikey

I like to think that Hearts are currently sitting 3rd in ...

... The Big Yin

whilst Aberdeen are dropping like a stone towards ...

... The Wee Yin

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

It's because we are drowned out by bigger neighbours.  I always thought it was beyond arrogant that they called it The Football League.

That's because they were first.  

TexasAndy
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

What difference does that make?  It wasn't a British league so why not called the English football league?

Ministryofdad
30 minutes ago, Pingu said:

I thought SPS for Scottish PremierShip might have caught on. It's a bit of a fudge but better than SPL and SPFL which are clearly wrong! 

Sps is already taken by the scottish prison service 

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
25 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

With the Highland League and Lowland League to become "Teuchter League North" and "Teuchter League South".

Bungalow Bill

I always felt when the SPL and SFL merged, they should have just reverted to the SFL name again. 

Bull's-eye

Thought we all called it the Mickey Mouse league. 

Then there's the Goofy League.

The Peter Pan League.

And finally the Donald Ducked League.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Definitely.

Can still mix it up for the league cup for a bit interest. 

Rick Sanchez

Couldn't care if it was called the McDonalds Scottish Premier League if it brings more money in.

cheetah

Shite

Shitey

Shiter

Shitiest

briever
9 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

(Migrating from the Nieuwenhoff thread

Nobody refers to the top tier of France as "The French League One." It's Ligue 1 and everyone knows what you're talking about. Similarly with the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Eridivisie, and so on and so forth.

We used to be able to say the "SPL" and that was pithy enough but since the merger it's "the SPFL Premiership" or at best the "Scottish Prem," which just makes it sound like the poor cousin to the English counterpart. (Even worse, the SPFL adopted the ridiculous "Championship" moniker for the second tier in an even more obvious sop to imitating the English setup.)

Rest of the thread context below.

Nobody knows or cares about Ligue 1 - it's a diddy league.

Edited by briever

i8hibsh

Most things are getting renamed nowadays so best let the lefty 'mob' give us a new inclusive name for it.....what wrong thread?

In all seriousness I go for The Boaty McBoatface Premiership.

i8hibsh

Always liked the 'SPL' actually.

2 leagues of 20 teams  SPL1 and SPL2.

Pans Jambo
3 hours ago, boag1874 said:

SPFL 1
SPFL 2

This but:

Scots League 1

Scots League 2

Even the English commentators couldn't get that wrong. Simples.

Would be internationally recognised.

Edited by Pans Jambo

Chambie15
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

LeagueyMcleague face div 1-4.

🤣👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Daveandal said:

Division 1

Division 2

Division 3

Division 4

Sorted.

In my mind it's the premier league... I've not moved on since the 80s.... in many ways to be honest.

Or better still First, Second, Third and Fourth Divisions. (My mind and preferred nomenclature has not moved on from the 60s!)

Preceded by "Scottish League" if addressing a wider audience than Scotland .

Couldn't be clearer or simpler.

Never understood why "Premiership" is superior to "Champiomship". And calling the winners of the second tier "Champions" is embarrassing ... even when, or maybe especially when, it was us

leginten
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

They like to think their codified variant of rugby was the first proper football too. 

Very much the Hibs of international football in terms of their dubious claims to have been first at everything and - given their colossal resources - their serial failure.

leginten
41 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Or better still First, Second, Third and Fourth Divisions. (My mind and preferred nomenclature has not moved on from the 60s!)

Preceded by "Scottish League" if addressing a wider audience than Scotland .

Couldn't be clearer or simpler.

Never understood why "Premiership" is superior to "Champiomship". And calling the winners of the second tier "Champions" is embarrassing ... even when, or maybe especially when, it was us

The entire notion of having a First Division underneath a Premier League, as we did originally when the smaller leagues were created, was a linguistic embarrassment - not that other countries haven’t followed suit.

I wouldn’t be against simply calling them Divisions 1 to 4. That’s what they are. I don’t suppose it would satisfy the need for something snappy that could be marketed, though. Maybe we should just branch out and call them after major figures in history (the culture war that would ensue would be a wonder to behold) or the four highest mountains or something like that. “Today in the Nevis league, Heart of Midlothian take on Aberdeen at Tynecastle”.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

What difference does that make?  It wasn't a British league so why not called the English football league?

For the same reason FA is the not called the EFA.  It was the first football association. 

whyskey
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

For the same reason FA is the not called the EFA.  It was the first football association. 

and [the football club] from Edinburgh was the first football club in the world 1824 with full records, membership and accounts.

davemclaren
Just now, whyskey said:

and [the football club] from Edinburgh was the first football club in the world 1824 with full records, membership and accounts.

So I've heard. 😄

Pistol1874

League set up

Top tier play each other home and away 17 times no relegation, all live on Sky with a contracted two hour phone in after each examining the religious leanings of the officials, presenters,  commentators and programme sellers. Possibly a ‘Gladiators’ type interlude with nominated fans, no protective equipment and whatever weapons came to hand on the way in.

Other two tiers play each other home and away. TV deal will be shite with fixtures when Sky / Viaplay have air time to fill - basically an extension of the current one.

Top tier - Buckfast Elite League

Second Tier - Tennent’s Championship

Third Tier - White Lightening League

I think this could be rolled out pretty seamlessly and gives everyone what they want.

🙂

Firefox
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Scottish Premier League = Priomh Liog n h-Alba

Scottish League one = Liog n h-Alba a h-aon

Scottish League two = Liog n h-Alba dha

Scottish League three = Liog n h-Alba tri

That would be fun and games for Sportscene final score presenters reading the classified results 🤣

The Anti Celtic Conspiracy Premiership

The Anti Celtic Conspiracy 1st Division

The Anti Celtic Conspiracy 2nd Division

The Anti Celtic Conspiracy 3rd Division

Jack Torrance
7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Or the derrière

😆 Good shout! We could market the bottom six and play offs, after the split, with that.

Obviously anyone being promoted via the play offs, will have taken their place in the magnificent Ecosse, up the derriere...

Edited by Jack Torrance

Hmfc1965
4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

It wasn't specifically an English league when formed either.

8 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

😆 Good shout! We could market the bottom six and play offs, after the split, with that.

Obviously anyone being promoted via the play offs, will have taken their place in the magnificent Ecosse, up the derriere...

Definitely want to avoid the split though