Definitely want to avoid the split though 

😁 oui.

davemclaren
31 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Scottish Premier League = Priomh Liog n h-Alba

Scottish League one = Liog n h-Alba a h-aon

Scottish League two = Liog n h-Alba dha

Scottish League three = Liog n h-Alba tri

That would be fun and games for Sportscene final score presenters reading the classified results 🤣

Perfect. 😎

Wee Mikey
35 minutes ago, Firefox said:

That would be fun and games for Sportscene final score presenters reading the classified results 🤣

That would be enough to give Controversial Campbell a seizure.

5 hours ago, boag1874 said:

I hate that we took the English namIng structure, we also need bigger leagues & less of them too

SPFL 1
SPFL 2

Then the regional pyramid below, 

Completely agree with this. 12 teams is absolutely ****ing trash. 

On the OPs point, I also completely agree - SPFL is clunky sounding and poor branding. It quite literally is a poor immatation of the English leagues branding. 

Need better differentiation, there was nothing wrong with SPL, the rework it needed was in branding/marketing and structure. If we did want a new league name, then perhaps looking at Gaelic might be the way to go. Try and find a word which is more easily anglicised and go with that.. as well perhaps drop the P all together, if its too mentally linked with Premiership/Premier League, i.e English football. Kinda want something that puts daylight between the two leagues. 

Also, I'd drop that Lion bollocks as the SPFL logo and go with a Unicorn. Our national animal is a Unicorn. Lean into the Scottishness and use thistles too. 

A halfways decent marketing company could put together a much better re-branding exercise than the abomination of 2013. 

Christ, 2 mins in an AI generator and you get this: Rework the colours and make sure the spelling is correct and its more unique than the EPL rip off Doncaster signed off on. 

Spoiler

image1_0.jpg?Expires=1709903224&Signature=AP3Cn5-14NYxIDPXsvxFxIm0Duqadg4jSehwGwOvYC2HMfsuwY8CLmdrLJhr0lCuIAaHnPuXV605p3G8dGoJRzxWyPXXmeJFaGP~v-g~1RcIulYVTQcG4ycXDHPL6UdYgMj17CuJpWwJRguiobEqYqLDK7Ul9SkS24XDLmccsC1PM3kdzSrqOdJvxJGi3E~Thp6muREzW5Hcr6mJKZAmo~gSRyrsX1n9EiNY1cytRsAc-IeXBwqQgML4dCAPrHeVYx5nsTtqz2jb1mBCp9UGQWSdpJAyNLhW49jD4ByFLCkz8ndClhk1-RtS9zo4falRiHRB85VTz-aPNoCKEzMWGg__&Key-Pair-Id=K3RDDB1TZ8BHT8

image0_0.jpg?Expires=1709903224&Signature=FQ1QMdBkeSaVw~NeExFZkeQNoqiC8q1jEw-M6VKRbJ0hmDhFGJZwy2xff6WJyy1lCpGn932G2iswDQeENYXkapqOm42atgppmz0evpJhwc5sGeXXN5S~9B-dBgA5vt6KDt6rB5MOr0HfORLGHJcabqNDIr63rkvkfi9qlZa1EOSrI10MOH5lCMA0GupRP7-eQrk7a0YSNy1fIbH-vUuNdfMZ6D1IXUyx4YTnxAH7zInobXpRJZg4Pi-rMVpPh0z3GJlKYtHHn2JKBoW6i6PHKaxP9HLUOJdSaZAP89Cdpoa7hHOAg1lfdo4RWap63xZ~5sdXeb4FjWHwhKPT9jxP0g__&Key-Pair-Id=K3RDDB1TZ8BHT8

Jim_Duncan

Change Premiership and Championship to: Shite and Shiter. 

Watt-Zeefuik
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, OTT said:

Completely agree with this. 12 teams is absolutely ****ing trash. 

On the OPs point, I also completely agree - SPFL is clunky sounding and poor branding. It quite literally is a poor immatation of the English leagues branding. 

Need better differentiation, there was nothing wrong with SPL, the rework it needed was in branding/marketing and structure. If we did want a new league name, then perhaps looking at Gaelic might be the way to go. Try and find a word which is more easily anglicised and go with that.. as well perhaps drop the P all together, if its too mentally linked with Premiership/Premier League, i.e English football. Kinda want something that puts daylight between the two leagues. 

Also, I'd drop that Lion bollocks as the SPFL logo and go with a Unicorn. Our national animal is a Unicorn. Lean into the Scottishness and use thistles too. 

A halfways decent marketing company could put together a much better re-branding exercise than the abomination of 2013. 

Christ, 2 mins in an AI generator and you get this: Rework the colours and make sure the spelling is correct and its more unique than the EPL rip off Doncaster signed off on. 

Hide contents

image1_0.jpg?Expires=1709903224&Signature=AP3Cn5-14NYxIDPXsvxFxIm0Duqadg4jSehwGwOvYC2HMfsuwY8CLmdrLJhr0lCuIAaHnPuXV605p3G8dGoJRzxWyPXXmeJFaGP~v-g~1RcIulYVTQcG4ycXDHPL6UdYgMj17CuJpWwJRguiobEqYqLDK7Ul9SkS24XDLmccsC1PM3kdzSrqOdJvxJGi3E~Thp6muREzW5Hcr6mJKZAmo~gSRyrsX1n9EiNY1cytRsAc-IeXBwqQgML4dCAPrHeVYx5nsTtqz2jb1mBCp9UGQWSdpJAyNLhW49jD4ByFLCkz8ndClhk1-RtS9zo4falRiHRB85VTz-aPNoCKEzMWGg__&Key-Pair-Id=K3RDDB1TZ8BHT8

image0_0.jpg?Expires=1709903224&Signature=FQ1QMdBkeSaVw~NeExFZkeQNoqiC8q1jEw-M6VKRbJ0hmDhFGJZwy2xff6WJyy1lCpGn932G2iswDQeENYXkapqOm42atgppmz0evpJhwc5sGeXXN5S~9B-dBgA5vt6KDt6rB5MOr0HfORLGHJcabqNDIr63rkvkfi9qlZa1EOSrI10MOH5lCMA0GupRP7-eQrk7a0YSNy1fIbH-vUuNdfMZ6D1IXUyx4YTnxAH7zInobXpRJZg4Pi-rMVpPh0z3GJlKYtHHn2JKBoW6i6PHKaxP9HLUOJdSaZAP89Cdpoa7hHOAg1lfdo4RWap63xZ~5sdXeb4FjWHwhKPT9jxP0g__&Key-Pair-Id=K3RDDB1TZ8BHT8

Probably have to remove the crown or the Lord Lyon will have a fit, but other than that, yeah, that's already better than the current logo.

And I was just doing the name thread as a bit of tomfoolery but if I get going on the 12 team/split nonsense again I'll be writing a book-length rant. I think Scottish football is great value for entertainment and think it gets run down far more than it deserves, but the league setup from top to bottom is such dogshit and it really drags down the enjoyment of it.

Right, back to renaming the leagues.

Munro League

Corbett League

Strathclyde League

Forth and Borders League

Tay and Don League

Highland League

(Still think I liked League Yin and League Twa better TBH)

EDIT:

I had run a few things through Google Translate as it has a Scots Gaelic function, but I hadn't tried "division" yet. Might be a bit too twee to use Gaelic but IMO this could work:

image.png

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

Watt-Zeefuik
44 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Definitely want to avoid the split though 

Could probably convince the English media to call ending up on the wrong side of the split as "getting jobbied" before they realized what it meant.

Mikey1874
6 hours ago, boag1874 said:

I hate that we took the English namIng structure, we also need bigger leagues & less of them too

SPFL 1
SPFL 2

Then the regional pyramid below, 

Yep 

PortyBeach
On 07/03/2024 at 08:40, TexasAndy said:

It's because we are drowned out by bigger neighbours.  I always thought it was beyond arrogant that they called it The Football League.

Yes. As with the “Rugby Football Union”, the FA, etc.

As you say, total arrogance. 

Bob Loblaw

The fact people still refer to it as the SPL years after it was called that show it was a well rounded brand for the game. Just go back to that and rename the leagues below to the Scottish First, Second and Third Divisions.

Simple changes but helps give some identity back and you have a ready made brand for the top flight. Stop trying to imitate England at every turn.

Gundermann
On 07/03/2024 at 13:07, Wee Mikey said:

That would be enough to give Controversial Campbell a seizure.

😃

Glè mhath.

Life Aquatic
On 07/03/2024 at 12:29, Firefox said:

Alternatively for the Premier...

Bidh Rangers agus Celtic an-còmhnaidh a’ buannachadh lìog

13 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Yes. As with the “Rugby Football Union”, the FA, etc.

As you say, total arrogance. 

No, they were just first. There was no need to distinguish themselves from other organisations. That's the benefit of being first.

WheatfieldWarrior
On 07/03/2024 at 08:35, davemclaren said:

We should name the leagues in Gaelic just to confuse the commentators. 

Prìomh Lìog

Craobh

Lìog 1

Lìog 2

tbh, it's bad enough seeing it on an Ambileans

milky_26
10 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Berradivisie 

:berra:

Shankseliga

SomethingAboutObua

Disastrous rebranding, you couldn't write it better that such a woefully incompetent organisation's first step would be to give itself a near useless name from a branding and marketing perspective. Seriously what fan or club cared that they needed to include both the P and F from spl/sfl in the new acronym? None would be my guess. 

SPL's now  been taken by the Saudi Pro League. My preference is either go back to just the SFL with first to fourth division 

Or nnew name with a new  acronym not already used by another major sports league. I'd put forward Alba Pro League 1 and 2 for the top 2 tiers (so APL1, 2, and something like the Alba League for tiers 3 and 4

I don't disagree with the OP, but by the same admission the reason other leagues stand out is because of language differences. Not every league is 'unique'.

For example, the Bundesliga is also the name of the Austrian top flight. Literally its the Federal League, but basically means National League in German. If there were more strictly German speaking countries then their leagues probably all would be called the Bundesliga. I don't count Switzerland as they're a multi-lingual country. Their league is the Super League, but is not the only Super League in Europe with Greece the same and Serbia's also called Super Liga.

Also Ligue 1, is the name of multiple top flight divisions in other French speaking countries. Splitting hairs a bit there as I appreciate if someone mentions Ligue 1, you know they don't mean the Senegalese or Tahitian league but still.

The change of name from Scottish Premier League to SPFL Premiership was to stand out from the English league somewhat. The English Premier League, while still referred to by many as the Premiership, was only ever called that for sponsorship reasons and has technically never officially been the 'Premiership'. Even then, it hasn't even been called that for sponsorship purposes since 2007.

So, to summarise, in true pedantry fashion, the Premiership is actually a pretty unique name. The only other top flight domestic football league called Premiership, to my knowledge, is Northern Ireland.

Although this entire argument goes the other way when talking about the lower leagues. Albeit the slight technicality is that in England, its League One and League Two, up here it's League 1 and League 2.

Edited by Rick James

PortyBeach
11 hours ago, stan said:

No, they were just first. There was no need to distinguish themselves from other organisations. That's the benefit of being first.

I admire your charitable interpretation…

Heartsfth

The Groundhog Day League

the Town League

the Village League

The Hamlet League 

scott herbertson

The Glasgow ( Pointless ) League  - GPL

The Wee Pointless League 

The Wee-er Pointless League 

The Tichy League