Championship clubs keeping an eye on Naismith - and why he should keep clear

jamboinglasgow

Naisy has his head screwed on. He'll get bigger jobs than the likes of Millwall if he does a good job here. 

Pretty grounded guy, he's done stuff for charity and community, most of which has gone without publicity and he made a decent bit of dosh in his career. So I cannae see Naisy chasing money. 

I think he has the potential to be a great coach. I feel he's someone that can break the mould here and build a couple of good sides, maybe win a trophy, give the OF a chase, coach in Europe. There's so many things he can achieve here. 

Edited by Cruyff

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saxondale

• Sooks

• kingantti1874

• jamboinglasgow

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

johnking123

We will give him a good budget for couple of years and help him improve. He will be here for a couple of years yet.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

We will give him a good budget for couple of years and help him improve. He will be here for a couple of years yet.

What could possibly go wrong. 

upgotheheads
39 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Money won’t be that big a thing for him. 

He’s made a packet at Rangers and Everton.

I have never had any inclination to think that Naismith is a money-grabber, he's well known for charity work and has a settled family life which is clearly important to him. I think he will want to establish something with us that will enhance his reputation for when he does eventually leave, and it would probably be somewhere more exciting than the Championship in England. Two years of relative success in Europe with us, where he knows he will get the board's backing, will bring him to the attention of the big fish.

33 minutes ago, saxondale said:

He's not made enough to set him up for life, otherwise, why manage at all.

It's also not even just about money, if an opportunity arises to manage a big club in England then you don't want to miss out.

Probably . Millwall though ? Are they a big club 

Debut 4
26 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Naisy has his head screwed on. He'll get bigger jobs than the likes of Millwall if he does a good job here. 

Pretty grounded guy, he's done stuff for charity and community, most of which has gone without publicity and he made a decent bit of dosh in his career. So I cannae see Naisy chasing money. 

I think he has the potential to be a great coach. I feel he's someone that can break the mould here and build a couple of good sides, maybe win a trophy, give the OF a chase, coach in Europe. There's so many things he can achieve here. 

Good post…..Naismith strikes me as someone who doesn’t worry. He’s not worried about failing at Hearts and missing the boat for a move, equally he’s not worried about jumping ship too early and failing somewhere after 6 months.  

He’ll know what is appropriate for himself and that’ll be staying at Hearts…He’ll believe in himself and be calm about what the future holds because you could be mental thinking about it too much.  

He’s also entitled to enjoy his football when it’s going well ,as it is just now at Hearts, but the shame for managers is you wonder if they ever really do enjoy the good moments properly?  You are a couple of bad results away from pressure.   

Again though he seems to deal with it as he’s spoken about the early season dissent quite a few times.  

May one-six

I don't think SN will be ready to jump ship yet. However, if he has the same level of success next season I can see him considering a move to the Championship or above.

Smithian

The key thing we don't know is how Naismith managed his money. For most managers, the jump from Hearts wages to what would be paid by most (all?) Championship clubs would be life changing and he would owe it to his family to take the check and change all their lives for the better, as all of us would.

Assuming Naismith was smart and didn't go through a fancy sports cars and second homes phase, I think he can be selective about a job. If a big club like Southampton or Leeds somehow came open, I think he has to go. But a club like Millwall which isn't awash in money and is suspiciously close to the drop zone, that may be a job where he sticks around.

I think he sticks around and I hope Hearts give him a modest bump in wages. He is doing a good job for our club. If he comes back next season, puts up a good result in Europe, and maintains #3 place, I can really see a middle or bottle table EPL Club needing to calm things down giving him a call. Maybe Everton!

If carlsberg did rivals...
39 minutes ago, saxondale said:

It's also not even just about money, if an opportunity arises to manage a big club in England then you don't want to miss out.

Using your logic why did Zidane bother with management? Why is Henry kicking about as Martinez's  sidekick?

Bongo 1874
47 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Spot on,changing the mentality and football philosophy is key to this.

And given time and backing, i personally think he can do this.

Bongo 1874
51 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Hearts are the 3rd best team in league,he has the chance and if the board back him,to push on and maintain that for years to come.

For a club to want him,they need to offer him something worth considering.

Now certain teams have more money in the championship than others,it's a very different league from ours,though some don't like to hear that.

Byyy The Light

Think he'll want to have a trophy on his CV before he looks at moving anywhere.  That's good news for us.

Famous 1874

He will likely move at some point. He however will not move to a smaller club than Hearts. 

boag1874

He will go eventually, either because a bigger job comes up or because he gets sacked down the line, it’s inevitable at our level that we’ll need to replace him one day. The days of Tommy Walker etc just aren’t a thing any more sadly

Dallas Green

He won't be moving to a bottom dwelling championship club like Millwall. Imagine going from Shankland and European football to Nisbet and League 1 bound nothingness.

indianajones

I dont think he will be going anywhere without a proper stab at European football first. 

The Treasurer

It won't matter what he has planned. The next performance like Ibrox and the experts on here will demand he is sacked anyway 

The Treasurer
8 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

He won't be moving to a bottom dwelling championship club like Millwall. Imagine going from Shankland and European football to Nisbet and League 1 bound nothingness.

Tbf.

Millwall only missed the play offs last year due to hibsing it on the last day of the season 

Dallas Green
7 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Tbf.

Millwall only missed the play offs last year due to hibsing it on the last day of the season 

Yeah but they are sitting 18th this season with every chance of being relegated. I don't see why any manager would give up the gig at Hearts for that. 

saxondale
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

No idea, but they have a chance of getting into the Premier League, so that alone is a bigger incentive than managing in Scotland.

The Treasurer
1 minute ago, Dallas Green said:

Yeah but they are sitting 18th this season with every chance of being relegated. I don't see why any manager would give up the gig at Hearts for that. 

Agreed. 

It's very tight at the foot of the championship with about 8 or 9 teams still far from safe 

saxondale
1 hour ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

Using your logic why did Zidane bother with management? Why is Henry kicking about as Martinez's  sidekick?

My point is that not many footballers earn enough to retire at the end of their careers. Including Naismith.

There are obviously other reasons why the likes of Zidane and Henry would want to stay in football in some capacity.

Smithian
11 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

If he didn't really save from his playing days, then trading a Hearts check for a Millwall check is an easy one. Owes it to his family.

If he is comfortable from his playing days, then the question is if he thinks he can turn it around or not. 

I don't think Millwall is in the question. They just hired a club legend and have a couple wins a row. If they fire Neil Harris, it will be with weeks left in the season and no chance Naismith is leaving Hearts to jump on a sinking ship with only a handful of matches to go.

We really need a better TV deal dont we . Some of the utterly gash wee clubs that can afford to pay players and managers more than is sickening 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, 2205ian said:

Read all the thread & you are the only person who has hit what is probably his main priority out with football.

His wife is a dentist & he has a young family, I am sure they will come high up on the list prior to making any future decision .

Hope we have SN for the immediate future & beyond before he decides to move on up the Managerial ladder.

Cheers, couldn't remember what his wifes job was.

One job (providing he keeps doing well for us) that might best suit him in a few season, especially if he wishes to maintain the work life balance with his family would Rangers. He ticks a lot of boxes, especially around driving a player mentality. Of course what makes it unlikely is that a lot Rangers fans still have not forgiven him for the way he left, where he said it was not the same Rangers anymore and not getting at least some fee paid to Rangers when he signed for Everton (like some other players did.)

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, saxondale said:

Because he wants to...maybe?

Robbo-Jambo

He is an intelligent guy.

Playing for Everton for a good number of years I think he probably has made enough to set him up for life.

His wife has her own dental practice to top up their pensions if need be 😅.

Speculation is wonderful isn't it. The reality, no one on here has a clue!

But hey keep guessing :kirk:

NaturalOrder74

I’m convinced millwall intentionally throw the promotion to prem every other year. 

almost always in the playoff mix never promoted 

colinmorewasgash

Neil Harris became boss for 18 months recently and they have did far better. Seems pretty random and usual petty stuff from the weegia meethinks. He beat Sellick so he's leaving to bigger club.

saxondale
20 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Because he wants to...maybe?

See previous reply to another poster. Not the point I was trying to make. Apologies if unclear.

Neil Harris has just gone back to manage Millwall. He's a big hero to their fans and won his first game back. Unless things go radically wrong he'll be there for quite some time.

When Naismith first came to us as a player his wife was starting up in business in West Central Scotland. I doubt she'd want to give that up just now so I quite expect him to stay a while. Of course, some of our "fans" may just be keeping quiet before exploding with anti-Naismith sentiment - like they've done intermittently during his time in charge.......

saxondale
21 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He is an intelligent guy.

Playing for Everton for a good number of years I think he probably has made enough to set him up for life.

His wife has her own dental practice to top up their pensions if need be 😅.

A very small percentage of professional footballers earn enough in their career to never have to work again when they hang up their boots. Naismith is very unlikely to be one of them (regardless of how much he has saved/invested).

If a better paid job comes up, he will know it would be daft not to take it given the merry go round of football managers. Managing in England is also a more enticing proposition for most people.

Of course, his family might be settled in Scotland and he therefore may not be keen to move to England, let's hope that's the case...

Canscot

Not necessarily true. Lots of folk ( myself included) work just to have a reason to get up in the morning. 
He is a very young man and still has a lot to contribute to the game and indeed society in general. 
When “retired” you can only golf so much. You need other things that pique your interest and keep you active. 

kingantti1874

hmm.  At Norwich from the age of 29 his reported salary varied from 40,000 per week to 50,000 per week.  

He was on a 4 year deal there.  So between £8-£10m gross just on his Norwich contract.

i think he could afford not to work quite easily, but like lots of ex footballers enjoys the game and the challenge 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, saxondale said:

A very small percentage of professional footballers earn enough in their career to never have to work again when they hang up their boots. Naismith is very unlikely to be one of them (regardless of how much he has saved/invested).

If a better paid job comes up, he will know it would be daft not to take it given the merry go round of football managers. Managing in England is also a more enticing proposition for most people.

Of course, his family might be settled in Scotland and he therefore may not be keen to move to England, let's hope that's the case...

Your right, but I do t think your right with Naismith.  He will have a new worth easily in excess of 10 figures 

Batistuta87
3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He will get the Everton job when it comes up imo. Doesn’t need to mess about in the farmers league. He’s at exactly the right club. 

Was just thinking this.

saxondale
10 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Not necessarily true. Lots of folk ( myself included) work just to have a reason to get up in the morning. 
He is a very young man and still has a lot to contribute to the game and indeed society in general. 
When “retired” you can only golf so much. You need other things that pique your interest and keep you active. 

I've clarified and elaborated in other posts, but yes, he and others may have other reasons beyond money to continue working in football.

The broader point I was making was that managerial opportunities in England (especially in the Prem and Champ) is a far more enticing proposition than managing Hearts, and given how it is nowadays managing football clubs, it would make a lot of sense to grab an opportunity like this with both hands right away.

wavydavy
5 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

He will likely go at some point given the direction we are moving , but he clearly isn't in a rush to get away .

Unlike Levein when he left and unlike Robbie when he left ,there are not other circumstances at the club to help push him away .

I agree he will be in no rush to get away.

Different circumstances with those two though. Robbie/Levein wouldn't have made a lot of money during their playing days so would have been offered decent money to go to thier respective jobs down south.

Naismith on the other hand will have made a fair bit during his playing days from Rangers, Everton and Norwich. He has a house in Stewarton with a young family so is unlikely to want to rush away especially when Hearts are doing so well under him currently.

Things can change rapidly in football but I think he is settled for the moment at least.

saxondale
12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

hmm.  At Norwich from the age of 29 his reported salary varied from 40,000 per week to 50,000 per week.  

He was on a 4 year deal there.  So between £8-£10m gross just on his Norwich contract.

i think he could afford not to work quite easily, but like lots of ex footballers enjoys the game and the challenge 

In truth, neither of us know if how he has managed in finances throughout his career. I just remember reading it was something like less than 1% that earned enough in football to never have to work again once they retire - so it stands to reason Naismith wasn't part of this 1%.

The broader point I was making has been explained above.

May one-six
18 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Having played for Rangers up here and at the highest level in England, with a highly paid spouse and presumably a well paying job at the moment, I don't think money will be a motivating factor when SN decides to move on. It's more likely he'll look at the nature of the club he's going to and the type of challenge that's presented. I reckon he'd only throw everything aside and leap at a job if by some chance he was offered the head coach role at Everton or some other middle ranking Premier League club.  

alicante jambo
2 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

Talking about nisbet were hibs no going to get millions in add ons if he played well? Not heard nowt about him for ages.

buzzbomb1958
4 hours ago, Sooks said:

A club in the mould of the zombies and their fans are knuckle dragging arseholes

BelgeJambo

Everton for sure after we win the treble next season 😜🇱🇻🇱🇻🥃🥃

cookieboy
6 hours ago, saxondale said:

I think you'll find he has , and maybe for the love of the game 

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, saxondale said:

In truth, neither of us know if how he has managed in finances throughout his career. I just remember reading it was something like less than 1% that earned enough in football to never have to work again once they retire - so it stands to reason Naismith wasn't part of this 1%.

The broader point I was making has been explained above.

I get your broader point.  I’m just saying Naismith is part of the 1% and the money that a championship team suck as mill will offer won’t be a defining factor for him.  

His contract values were well reported and commensurate for a player who sold for the fees Naismith did. 

Bet worth 10 figures easily. And id bet my balls that he’s invested it wisely.