Championship clubs keeping an eye on Naismith - and why he should keep clear

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Saw this article pop up

https://www.footballinsider247.com/millwall-plot-move-for-hearts-manager-steven-naismith-after-celtic-shock-sources/

Basically some Championship clubs are monitoring Naismith, the only one being named is Millwall.

Now from what I have heard from Naismith and seeing how he works, I would be surprised if he moved so quickly, but the article to me shows why he should also keep clear at this stage in his career. The article talks about sources telling them that Millwall (and other clubs) are watching him, so to me it is someone from Millwall letting a friendly journalist know. But down the page it mentions that Millwall have just announced a new manager who has an 18 month contract. So they have a new manager and already letting slip about other managers they want? If Naismith was to go to these clubs and had the slow start he had with us, then he would be out of the door quickly. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saxondale

• Sooks

• kingantti1874

• jamboinglasgow

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Saw this article pop up

https://www.footballinsider247.com/millwall-plot-move-for-hearts-manager-steven-naismith-after-celtic-shock-sources/

Basically some Championship clubs are monitoring Naismith, the only one being named is Millwall.

Now from what I have heard from Naismith and seeing how he works, I would be surprised if he moved so quickly, but the article to me shows why he should also keep clear at this stage in his career. The article talks about sources telling them that Millwall (and other clubs) are watching him, so to me it is someone from Millwall letting a friendly journalist know. But down the page it mentions that Millwall have just announced a new manager who has an 18 month contract. So they have a new manager and already letting slip about other managers they want? If Naismith was to go to these clubs and had the slow start he had with us, then he would be out of the door quickly. 

Also on the 72.co.uk site

ShedBoy

Did they miss the 5 zip scudding last week? Or the inability to beat h1b5 in midweek? Naismith will stay with us, progress with us, win a cup with us. Then be back with us in about 6yrs.

Is Warnock held in high regard down there ? Pretty sure Naismith would be fine down there . If he does well this season and in Europe next season then I would expect he could attract a better club than Millwall 

ToadKiller Dog

He will likely go at some point given the direction we are moving , but he clearly isn't in a rush to get away .

Unlike Levein when he left and unlike Robbie when he left ,there are not other circumstances at the club to help push him away .

Dodger84

Would like to see him have a couple of years of sustained success before considering to move on. It can be ruthless down there and not necessarily the best move at this stage in his career 

RustyRightPeg

He doesn't have his badges 👀

Kennyfragg13

He won’t go to millwall they have a striker called Kevin h1b5it

Fozzyonthefence
24 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Go there and risk being sacked after 6 months.

There were plenty on here wanted him sacked before he had 6 games!

Jim Panzee
6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

naebadges and naeclue according to some on here.

Australis

Hopefully with us for a few years yet and collects his coaching badges with us.

Cut throat down there, sacked at the drop of a hat after you have wasted the millions they give you to blow.

Midloth_Iain

Whats the latest on his badges ?

Sorted before next Euro campaign ?

John Findlay

I believe Steven Naismith to be an intelligent man.

He will leave Hearts when he feels the time is right, and not before.

innerjambo

He would be bat shit crazy to even consider a move, and I don't think he's that stupid.

He has the perfect club, and the perfect set up, to further his career, and develop as a manager. 

BigAlim

There’s still chapters to be written on Naisy at Hearts. He’s really improved the performance of several individuals but I think his Magnum Opus is going to be the academy talent breaking through

jambo_tar

Only a matter of time before this happened. Would be mad to even think about leaving now. Hope he stays put for another season of two. The English championship is a brutal division. 

Weebroon98
30 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Whats the latest on his badges ?

Sorted before next Euro campaign ?

as long as he has started his badges he can be manager, think he is quoted in saying he is starting them soon

Naismith should ask Robbie how jumping ship down south went... 

Naismith is 37 and I'm not even sure he's actually got those final badges yet. Should be looking to stay for the next 5 years and get a couple hundred games under his belt. More experience in europe, win a cup. Middling English Championship clubs that change managers like whores change pants isn't going to do his career any good at all. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

:lol:

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Naismith should ask Robbie how jumping ship down south went... 

Naismith is 37 and I'm not even sure he's actually got those final badges yet. Should be looking to stay for the next 5 years and get a couple hundred games under his belt. More experience in europe, win a cup. Middling English Championship clubs that change managers like whores change pants isn't going to do his career any good at all. 

As predicted inevitable that would happen

Agree with the above.  He’s young, he’s a very wealthy guy has plenty of time to go south. - if he stays 4 years he will still only be 41. 

I think he will be extremely careful choosing his next move, it will be the right club at the right time.  None of these things are milwall . A smaller club than hearts, not a great track record.  A road to nowhere 

rudi must stay

We should enjoy Naismith while he's here. He wont be here for long

24 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

There’s still chapters to be written on Naisy at Hearts. He’s really improved the performance of several individuals but I think his Magnum Opus is going to be the academy talent breaking through

Is Magnum Opus a Swedish young superstar we have signed for the Academy 🤣

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

As predicted inevitable that would happen

Agree with the above.  He’s young, he’s a very wealthy guy has plenty of time to go south. - if he stays 4 years he will still only be 41. 

I think he will be extremely careful choosing his next move, it will be the right club at the right time.  None of these things are milwall . A smaller club than hearts, not a great track record.  A road to nowhere 

Mates with a big Everton fan that is always keen to hear how Naismith is getting on. Not saying he could move directly Hearts to Everton, but keep doing well and who knows? His win rate with us is currently 53% which is amazing. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Mates with a big Everton fan that is always keen to hear how Naismith is getting on. Not saying he could move directly Hearts to Everton, but keep doing well and who knows? His win rate with us is currently 53% which is amazing. 

Yup I don’t think it would be direct.  I think he’d be more likely to go for a Norwich type move first but I genuinely believe he could be good enough to get to that level.

but he is young, he will want to get his stripes first.  I can’t see him jumping ship too early unless the move is 100% right or the environment at hearts changes significantly.

vegas-voss
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Go there and risk being sacked after 6 months.

My thoughts exactly a complete dead end job that.Too many young managers leave far too quick for what seems like great pastures new instead of learning and building.Its funny though they are quick to moan about not enough time when sacked but they were the ones quick enough to leave what they had behind.

Let's hope Naismith appreciate he is still learning and if he sticks it out at Hearts at least another couple of seasons then more opportunities arise for him and he has more experience to deal with them.

I realise the original link doesn't really mean anything.

A_A wehatethehibs

He will get the Everton job when it comes up imo. Doesn’t need to mess about in the farmers league. He’s at exactly the right club. 

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yup I don’t think it would be direct.  I think he’d be more likely to go for a Norwich type move first but I genuinely believe he could be good enough to get to that level.

but he is young, he will want to get his stripes first.  I can’t see him jumping ship too early unless the move is 100% right or the environment at hearts changes significantly.

Yeah, Scottish football isn't held in high regard down south at all, but maybe a season at a Norwich type and then moving when his stock is high. Just important he takes a club he can actually do something with. Not a ****ing MK Dons or some pishy wee team like that.

gar jambo
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Saw this article pop up

Naismith a well grounded guy and not short of a few quid ! He’s not going to jump at  the first offer from poor bottom club in the championship say like Millwall no European football ect I think he will wait until he has no option but an offer he can’t refuse but he will be at Tynecastle 24/25 I’m sure off that ! 

If carlsberg did rivals...

He would get offered silly money to manage in the championship, however I would imagine he earned a pretty penny at Everton, so money may not be his main motivation.

Think the Millwall caretaker took up the managers job as a permanent position recently.

Could be an old rumour just filtering through now.

Victorian

Naismith has all the credentials to be a respected manager in England.  At pretty much any level.  But he'll be fully aware of the precarious nature of any position,  no matter the club.  Nowadays,  potentially you are literally a month away from the sack at any time.  He was 1 or 2 games away from the sack this season imo.

Being a manager is a highly unstable,  unpredictable thing.  Flying high then a big move and then the sack.  Potentially a series of moves around the country and no real success.

I think he stands a decent chance of stability here.  He's young.  Almost young enough to still be playing.  Why would he risk becoming an obscure journeyman at his age and experience?  Can't see him moving away for a few years yet.

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Is Warnock held in high regard down there ? Pretty sure Naismith would be fine down there . If he does well this season and in Europe next season then I would expect he could attract a better club than Millwall 

much bigger, millwall  smaller than hobos🤮🤮🤮

He’ll know himself he needs one more season at least with us before he starts considering a move.

tartofmidlothian
25 minutes ago, OTT said:

However he gets there, I reckon he'll have a spell at Everton one day. They love him down there, don't they? Like Maloney at Wigan, where past association counts for a lot.

It's funny when diddy clubs (by English standards) think every manager in Scotland will jump ship at the sight of a League One relegation dogfight, just like Warnock coming up here. I can see Naismith being here for at least another year, especially if we stay third - he won't be getting many chances to manage a club in Europe until November for a few years yet.

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Do you think Colin would be at the mutton molesters on a short term deal if he was held in high regard down there?

1 minute ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Do you think Colin would be at the mutton molesters on a short term deal if he was held in high regard down there?

I think he actually is though to a certain degree . As mental as that seems given his complete ineptitude so far up here . Seems to give less ****s than Colin Calderwood did 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I think he actually is though to a certain degree . As mental as that seems given his complete ineptitude so far up here . Seems to give less ****s than Colin Calderwood did 

He is on an all expenses paid golfing holiday  

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He is on an all expenses paid golfing holiday  

Here to have a bit of fun . Well I have found it great fun so far so fair ****s :lol: 

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

It's pretty ignorant and dare I say popular to ridicule Neil Warnock at the moment. He has an exceptional record in the English Championship over many years. 

saxondale

I probably wouldn't leave for Millwall, but another championship club offering silly money - it's a no brainer.

A footballer's career is short, a manager's is even shorter given how its just accepted you will get sacked at some point.

Go whilst your stock is high because in a couple month's time it might not be.

See Lampard and Gerrard. If they waited around any longer at Derby or Rangers, they will have been found out and never got another opportunity at Chelsea and Aston Villa, respectively.

jamboinglasgow
10 minutes ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

He would get offered silly money to manage in the championship, however I would imagine he earned a pretty penny at Everton, so money may not be his main motivation.

I think your right. Money wont be a big driver for him. Plus I think his wife has a business she runs in the West Coast, so he may be reluctant to move down south unless its a really good opportunity as it would mean spending a lot of time away from his family. 

1 minute ago, Carter said:

It's pretty ignorant and dare I say popular to ridicule Neil Warnock at the moment. He has an exceptional record in the English Championship over many years. 

Well that is what I was driving at really . I think he is actually held in pretty high regard down there . Of course if he is just here for a few shits and giggles then that would probably explain it . If he is the stick by which we should measure the quality down there though , then I would not imagine Naismith would have too much bother 

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, JJ93 said:

He's a wise guy. He'll be staying put for another 2 season I think.

I doubt he'll be actively looking for opportunities elsewhere for at least another year or so, maybe as much as two, but the unknown is obviously what other clubs might come in for him.  I'm not remotely suggesting they'd be interested in him, but if say Everton decided to get rid of Dyche at the end of the season, and approached Naismith to replace him, I don't think Naismith would feel he could turn down that sort of opportunity, even if he felt it was a bit early, in case he didn't then get another one like it!

GBJambo
4 minutes ago, saxondale said:

I probably wouldn't leave for Millwall, but another championship club offering silly money - it's a no brainer.

A footballer's career is short, a manager's is even shorter given how its just accepted you will get sacked at some point.

Go whilst your stock is high because in a couple month's time it might not be.

See Lampard and Gerrard. If they waited around any longer at Derby or Rangers, they will have been found out and never got another opportunity at Chelsea and Aston Villa, respectively.

Money won’t be that big a thing for him. 

He’s made a packet at Rangers and Everton.

CostaJambo
3 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I doubt he'll be actively looking for opportunities elsewhere for at least another year or so, maybe as much as two, but the unknown is obviously what other clubs might come in for him.  I'm not remotely suggesting they'd be interested in him, but if say Everton decided to get rid of Dyche at the end of the season, and approached Naismith to replace him, I don't think Naismith would feel he could turn down that sort of opportunity, even if he felt it was a bit early, in case he didn't then get another one like it!

I agree. I could see him offski at the first offer from a properly run, reasonably stable Championship team. Not a bombscare though, I think he is smart enough to know to avoid that type of club.

2205ian
14 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think your right. Money wont be a big driver for him. Plus I think his wife has a business she runs in the West Coast, so he may be reluctant to move down south unless its a really good opportunity as it would mean spending a lot of time away from his family. 

Read all the thread & you are the only person who has hit what is probably his main priority out with football.

His wife is a dentist & he has a young family, I am sure they will come high up on the list prior to making any future decision .

Hope we have SN for the immediate future & beyond before he decides to move on up the Managerial ladder.

saxondale
15 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Money won’t be that big a thing for him. 

He’s made a packet at Rangers and Everton.

He's not made enough to set him up for life, otherwise, why manage at all.

It's also not even just about money, if an opportunity arises to manage a big club in England then you don't want to miss out.