*** Official Greenock Morton vs Heart of Midlothian Scottish Cup 1/4 final match day thread ( Live on BBC) ***

Scott980612

Victorian
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

What Naismith talked about during his talk to fans. Staying calm. Playing the extra pass. 

It's visibly part of the approach.  Process process process.  

Individual players should always back themselves to look for the right pass,  control or run under pressure.  This team does it as routine.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• ScandinavianJambo

• jamboozy

• Harry Potter

hearts00
5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Think in hindsight Naismith would’ve started Cochrane and won the battle in there first and foremost. Grant would’ve had a field day last twenty. They were done. 

Yeah good point.  But fair game to Naismith the subs were well timed and Morton never got a sniff after the subs were made. 

There is just something about this team. We are far from brilliant but the mentality has gone from very weak to very strong. 

The most impressive thing this season has been our away results. Between the two cups and the league we must have won 13 away games now. That is really good for Hearts based on the last 40 years. 

Philfigo
37 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Grant = Abysmal 

Absolutely, the odd half descent game every now and again doesn't cut it. Hopefully gone at end of season and we just use Tait or Denholm next season. 

Thomaso
55 minutes ago, rmreido said:

Gordon for me, all day long.

It will definitely be Gordon in the SC.

Clark in the league baring loss of form/injury

23 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Viva Las Vargas.  :)

This HAS to be his song. 

Thomaso
24 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Viva Las Vargas.  :)

Must be an Ultra song in there! 🎼

Go for it 1308
35 minutes ago, Scott980612 said:

Tough match. 

Gordon kept us in it. 
Brilliant from Beni. 
Good finish from Vargas 

Nothing else to mention. 

Into the semi - due a performance vs Rangers  

🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

End of thread 

Thomaso
46 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Grant = Abysmal 

He has some really good moments in some games, but in others he is an annoying lazy tosser! 🤷‍♂️

jack D and coke

Just want to say how impressed I was at the support tonight. 
A Monday fedking night…played jambos🇱🇻👏🏼

Was a day I used to do that shit :lol: 

Skacelsid
1 hour ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Grant = Abysmal 

Not acceptable in the maroon. Swaggered about smiling like the superstar "he is not". Just not doing his share. Tait is better with a better attitude and starts before him for the rest of the season. 

Jambo-Fox

Spotted this in the crowd tonight, rather self-deprecating..

PS no criticism of this Jambo girl just thought it was amusing! Well played to her for following and backing her club HHGH

IMG_3666.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

tiger Rudi

What a difference it makes when a midfielder is positive and carries the ball forward, evading tackles, looking to break. Will it catch on? 

If only Beni would do that more often. If only others would do that more often. It's one part of this squad of players that is seriously lacking. 

One bit of quality opened them up.

Hoff was missed tonight but I really hope Dhanda will provide that spark? I bloody hope so. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, One five said:

I’m sure you will have a Quick Look if you get the chance, enjoy mate👍

Cheers, was a brilliant night, had a deek at the interval and was still 0-0 after 70 minutes. Good to get through. 

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, Captain Scarlett said:

Get Beni off. What’s the point of a cup tie when one of your midfielders are as well playing for the opposition?

This post aged well!

Big_Hearts_Runner
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Craig and Shanks confirmed their places in the Scotland squad.

I wonder if he’ll take a look at Kingsley?

would be useful as a backup in case of injuries and he’s been commanding recently, thought he was great again in a tough battle.

leginten
41 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

What a difference it makes when a midfielder is positive and carries the ball forward, evading tackles, looking to break. Will it catch on? 

If only Beni would do that more often. If only others would do that more often. It's one part of this squad of players that is seriously lacking. 

One bit of quality opened them up.

Hoff was missed tonight but I really hope Dhanda will provide that spark? I bloody hope so. 

Beni’s break to set up the goal was just brilliant. I thought he had a very decent game tonight.

To see him getting on the end of a header on the edge of the six-yard area was pretty spectacular too. 

Stendelnator
8 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Before tonight, when was the last time we played Greenock Morton?

Literally played them 3 times in one season in 2020/21. 

Jambof3tornado

What a shitey journey back through Glasgow to stirling,one big roadwork!!!

Thank **** we won or it would have been unbearable!!!

1 burger van for 3500 fans,load of shite. Frosties and bed.

Do do doo

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Do do doo

We were flying till we hit Glasgow then crawl crawl crawl. Wtf is wrong with the infrastructure in Scotland! As you say I'm just glad we won. I remember the 4-4 League Cup 1/4 final we lost on penalties up at Dens (Henry took and missed one!) and there were road words Half teh way back, think it's one of teh most miserable journeys after a Hearts match ever! 

As for Cappielow :rofl: The same in every respect since Sandy Clark's debut in October 1984! Amazing! Enjoyed the whole 'experience' thoroughly though! 

Just back. Thought driving would be the better option. Not the case. What an absolute shanner of a journey through Glasgow. :lol: 

They’d handle themselves in the Premiership. Not many teams would win at Cappielow that’s for sure, atmosphere was fantastic to their fans’ credit. Would be so easy to support one of the cheeks if you were from out that way so fair play

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

he’s on par with connor sammon and wighton honestly 

What a load of utter garbage.

I'm not just saying this with hindsight thanks to him having scored the winner, but he's a very good young player, and vastly superior to those you've mentioned. He's pretty raw, and he absolutely does miss some very good chances, but most good young forwards his sort of age miss good chances, and so do quite a lot of good forwards that are a lot more experienced. 

He's by no means the finished article, but if you can't see he's a good and very promising player, and actually think he's in any way comparable to the likes of Sammon and Wighton, you really ought to think about starting to watch something a bit more suited to your level of intellect, like tiddlywinks. 

bawheed
18 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

What a load of utter garbage.

I'm not just saying this with hindsight thanks to him having scored the winner, but he's a very good young player, and vastly superior to those you've mentioned. He's pretty raw, and he absolutely does miss some very good chances, but most good young forwards his sort of age miss good chances, and so do quite a lot of good forwards that are a lot more experienced. 

He's by no means the finished article, but if you can't see he's a good and very promising player, and actually think he's in any way comparable to the likes of Sammon and Wighton, you really ought to think about starting to watch something a bit more suited to your level of intellect, like tiddlywinks. 

What do you know, you were slaughtering Beni who made the goal tonight.

bawheed
Just now, bawheed said:

What do you know, you were slaughtering Beni who made the goal tonight.

And I like Vargas he’s only 21

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

On repeat

That "surge" is something we rarely show and is a huge detriment to our game. I surmise we have no-one capable. Today was murder to watch in its predictability.

I'm delighted we're through but the majority of it was shite.

ColinSmith1255
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Do do doo

Yep, it took me 2 1/2 hours to get home to rural Perthshire but it was worth the drive. HHGH!

BangkokHearts

Potential banana skin avoided. Through to the next round.

That's all that matters.

vegas-voss
5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Just want to say how impressed I was at the support tonight. 
A Monday fedking night…played jambos🇱🇻👏🏼

Was a day I used to do that shit :lol: 

Aye looked cracking on the TV and still there for a while after the game.Was a cracking atmosphere ( Morton as well ) and it showed up good on the TV 

scottg71

What an endurance test that was last night. From the travelling to the match. 11 Dougie Imrie’s in that team of shithouses. 
Great Hearts support though and Hampden here we come!

Selkirkhmfc1874

Through to the semi final and that's really all that matters ! Hopefully Halkett, Kent , Boyce , the Hoff , Mckay and Oda back fit by then

Jamstomorrow
8 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Must be an Ultra song in there! 🎼

Crossed my mind too.

Jamstomorrow
8 hours ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

Oh I like what you did there 😎

Gracias amigo.  :)

tiger Rudi
9 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I want Septic in the final.

The last thing we need is any chance of the sheep stealing group stage football.

I agree, they have been piss poor this season, if they snuck into euro football via the cup we would be devastated. Hope Celtic hammer them!! 

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

That "surge" is something we rarely show and is a huge detriment to our game. I surmise we have no-one capable. Today was murder to watch in its predictability.

I'm delighted we're through but the majority of it was shite.

becuase he had space to surge into which is usually packed with opposing players 

Ex member of the SaS

Terrible performance and made them look like a premiership team. Get this possession football to feck it's dire! Too slow and too many wasted passes, Craig ran our with the ball ready to fling it up field but there was no one making the run, all back defending! Devlin should have been subbed for Tait after his yellow card. We are through that is the main thing but we will have to improve massively for the Sevco game. We have shown we can play great football so we need to bring our A game.

Hopefully have players back for the semi so lets get stuck in and dump these clowns.

Ex member of the SaS
57 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

I agree, they have been piss poor this season, if they snuck into euro football via the cup we would be devastated. Hope Celtic hammer them!! 

Been discussed before but it highlights the stupidity of the cup. Play a half dozen games get group stages get third over a whole season and drop down to the play off's. Can't see the sheep beating Celtic as the officials will want the bigot final. We have the same problem and need to beat Sevco and the men in black. Something we can do that the sheep can't unless the new manager is a miracle worker.

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Terrible performance and made them look like a premiership team. Get this possession football to feck it's dire! Too slow and too many wasted passes, Craig ran our with the ball ready to fling it up field but there was no one making the run, all back defending! Devlin should have been subbed for Tait after his yellow card. We are through that is the main thing but we will have to improve massively for the Sevco game. We have shown we can play great football so we need to bring our A game.

Hopefully have players back for the semi so lets get stuck in and dump these clowns.

🤣 was a decent performance tbh, controlled against a packed defence against an aggressive team . Some of us told you how it was going to play out.  There was never any possibility of an open attacking game. 

Open broken football isn’t coming back. You need to reconcile with that or be eternally disappointed 

4marsbars

Well done Hearts.

We've lost once and drawn twice in 16 games, and still the 'not good enough' merchants are about (in dwindling numbers, to be fair).

Hilarious. 

buzzbomb1958
8 hours ago, leginten said:

Beni’s break to set up the goal was just brilliant. I thought he had a very decent game tonight.

To see him getting on the end of a header on the edge of the six-yard area was pretty spectacular too. 

First time I think I’ve seen Beni go forward with conviction any time I’ve watched him he’s very Maurice backpassy ( for younger viewers look under Dundee United)

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

If Rangers are still in Europe would a game fall the Thursday before? If so we’re a stick on for the Sunday 

Yes, the 2nd legs of the quarter finals are on the 18th, so the only way our semi could be on the Saturday is if sevco are knocked out this Thursday night and the SFA wait till at least Friday to decide on the scheduling.  Can't see the SFA waiting till then unless there's some specific reason they really want the games scheduled the other way round and I can't think what reason there would be for that!

PapaShango

Glad to get through but that was a tough watch. Thank god for Craig Gordon, that save second half with his leg was top drawer and if he wasn't in goals last night we go out IMO. That's the reason I want him back in between the sticks. Jorge Grant put in the worst performance by a Hearts player for many a year, absolute rotten and was lucky to last so long on the pitch.

No one from midfield breaking forward until late in the game. Just happy we made it through, that's the kind of game we would have been emptied out of in previous years. Fair play to Morton they made it tough and a proper cup tie and got right in about us second half. I didn't enjoy it one bit though, especially with the boy lobbing long throws into our box from the half way line. Sibbick and Rowles not known for their aerial presence but both coped pretty well along with the others back there defending. Now bring on Rangers, surely over due them one especially at Hampden, still find it a shocker of a stat that we have never beaten them there.  

kingantti1874
19 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Well done Hearts.

We've lost once and drawn twice in 16 games, and still the 'not good enough' merchants are about (in dwindling numbers, to be fair).

Hilarious. 

Genuinely think we have some of the simplest, least knowledgable fans in the country.  Some of the viewpoints are absolute outrageous. 

Edited by kingantti1874

Gundermann
10 hours ago, Thomaso said:

He has some really good moments in some games, but in others he is an annoying lazy tosser! 🤷‍♂️

Funnily enough he wasn't lazy last night, just useless. Don't want to be overly unkind but he really was.

mellors1874

Christ the journey back last night took as long for us to make a decent pass.

Glad to be through but that last night will get us scudded at Hampden.

Jorge Grant was awful and didn't think much better of Devlin.

Also loved the young Morton fan trying to wind us up with up the ra chat after the game just laughed at him and walked off.

henryheart

At no time where we under any serious pressure; it simply boiled down to when we were going to get our act together going forward. The longer the game went on the more the gaps in their defence opened up. Suggestions that Craig Gordon saved us and that we were lucky that George Oakley wasn't playing are nonsense. Gordon barely had to stretch himself and if Oakley was that good, and he isn't, he would be playing for a better team than Morton.   

Lambert Simnel
52 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Well done Hearts.

Hilarious. 

7 points dropped?! Budge over! Naismith out!

colinmaroon

I called Grant after just minutes last night, when he did his usual bottle at a tackle, followed by a bad pass when under no pressure. 

He flatters to deceive, in the odd game.  Sure he can pass a ball.....sometimes, but so can others who contribute more.  Every time he plays it's us with, at best, 10.5 men.