Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• saxondale

• Pasquale for King

• jr ewing

Top Posters In This Topic

maroonsgotop

Well played Toby. Great to see him playing so well today. Strolled it :clap:

He was so solid today, happy to work the ball to get away from defenders. Had one minor moment where the ball looked to get stuck under his feet but still strolled away with it.

His positioning was so decent it allowed Kingsley to play almost as a sweeper, which he also did brilliantly at due to his trust in Toby (& Rowles, minus his minor brain phart) and his exceptionally good reading of the game.

Considering that would likely be few people's first choice defence, I was really encouraged. 

Fozzyonthefence
36 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

As Kent will be out he will be.

Not sure he will.  Probably back to back 4 against Morton which will likely be Rowles and Kingsley.  Much better today though and will be required in the run in. 

...andFulton'sBaggio

Toby was great today. Even won one or two crucial headers!

Edited by ...andFulton'sBaggio
Grammar

cosanostra

Great performance from Toby. He's an incredible athlete and has everything needed to be an outstanding centre half at our level. 

Just needs to put it all together.

Have we ever had a faster centre half? Jose G was rapid I guess.

Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Great performance from Toby. He's an incredible athlete and has everything needed to be an outstanding centre half at our level. 

433 with him as the holder given freedom to Nieuwenhof and whoever is on the left hand side.

Scary potential.

ArcticJambo

OP spot on, so glad to see him back, and back with a performance.  Cement it you handsome devil.

Not his biggest fan , due to the errors in him, however he did well today as did the defence . Kingsley was great 

Certainly deserves a lot of credit for his overall performance today.

I'll come in at a different angle here.   He had a quiet game and owned his position.  Had to stretch at one point but strolled it, I agree. 

Had a boost of adrenaline at another point which resulted in him giving the ball away cheaply. 

Not much to moan about I would think.   Completely reliable. 

Well done the bigman. 

DalryJambo
9 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The lad is a holding midfielder everyday of the week.

If he was ever to play holding midfield, people would say he looks like a center half. Maybe not quite good enough as a regular starter in either position. Great player to have in the squad and if he continues to develop over the next few years will grow into being a great centre half.

1 hour ago, cosanostra said:

Craig Levein 

DalryJambo

Without wanting to sound negative, every hearts player had an easier game today than expected as they played most of the game with 10. No complaints about that, obviously, but the game was easier because of it.

2 hours ago, cosanostra said:

A certain Craig Levein would be up there.  Back in the day there was a short lived SPL sprint challenge, where the fastest players from each of the then 10 clubs which made up the SPL took part in a 100m sprint event at Murrayfield.  Levein won it 2 years in a row.

il Duce McTarkin
11 hours ago, combo74 said:

Nobody was dreadful today…you don’t beat Celtic with ‘dreadful’ performances in your team. He had a few slack moments, no doubt (as most players do), but ‘dreadful’ is a big over exaggeration. 

Spot in, Combo.

12 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Loads of threads started on him when he plays poorly. Considering the fact he hasn’t played much I thought he was excellent today. Stepped up to the plate, calm, mostly composed and his pace was very useful. 

Great post. 👍

4 hours ago, cosanostra said:

And another.

AlimOzturk

Praise To Toby when it is due. Most frustrating player we have as we can all

see the ability and physical attributes he has and just wish he added the consistency to go with his obvious natural talent. He’s also a big likeable character. 

Still has age on his side (only 24) so if he can continue to improve and find that I hope he becomes a first team starter for years to come.

Section Q

When Sibbick has a run in the team he seems to peter out. The Hoff is the opposite and is first choice number 8 now. Sibbick can't claim he hasn't had a chance.

7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

433 with him as the holder given freedom to Nieuwenhof and whoever is on the left hand side.

Scary potential.

Only thing scary is you continually trying to get this guy into our midfield. 😂

Well played Toby today. Looked far more comfortable than he has done in a long time. Took his opportunity well. 

7 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Craig Levein pre-cruciate?

TexasAndy

Credit where credit is due he came in and performed well.  

Bickfest

In the not too distant past, there was another defender who was slated on here for being a regular bombscare. The club was patient with him (more than many on here) and he eventually turned a corner, became a fans' favourite, a cup-winning captain and a club legend. Zal signed in 2006 when he was approx 23 years old but it wasn't until 2009/10 (when he was 26 or so) that he really improved and got deserved recognition. Toby signed for us when he was 22 and is still only 24 years old. He has plenty of time to develop as a defender if he gets support and patience from the club and fans, and in my opinion he undoubtedly has the talent to do so. He is blessed with pace (a real plus for a defender these days), which some of our other defenders are not. I think we should all give him time. IMO he will come good, become reliable with experience and he may make us a shedload of money.

Edited by Bickfest

A_A wehatethehibs

Credit to him, clearly been working hard in training, great for him to get a big day like that at Tynecastle and perform at his absolute best. 

HopeDiouf

Great performance from Toby.  Can't be easy when not played much of late either.  

heartsfc_fan

Did well. Still a useful squad player to have.

upgotheheads

Tobyworried me a couple of times when he opted to go one-on-one with his man when there was no cover behind, but apart from that he was excellent yesterday.

Skacelsid

Well done Toby, thought he dovetailed well with Dexter on that side and they covered each other well. Dexter also did well. He still got forward but when play broke down he got straight back to his defensive position and we never lost our shape all game, that is important as it let's others play, we were then more dynamic and quicker, Beni and Hoff were then able to get into a more forward position. We can be over-cautious but this is more what we want to see. Well done all. A great effort.

gar jambo
9 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Well done Toby, thought he dovetailed well with Dexter on that side and they covered each other well. Dexter also did well. He still got forward but when play broke down he got straight back to his defensive position and we never lost our shape all game, that is important as it let's others play, we were then more dynamic and quicker, Beni and Hoff were then able to get into a more forward position. We can be over-cautious but this is more what we want to see. Well done all. A great effort.

Toby was superb yesterday ! 

Cambo_Jambo
18 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Toby was decent today he was not bullied by the Celtic loanee galut! 

That's it for Sibbick. He's not great if you've got people running at him but if it's a physical game, he's normally pretty decent. 

Him having to deal with Kyogo was giving me fits in the last 20 though. That Rodgers isn't able to get a song out of a guy that was absolutely unplayable for 2 seasons is the most damning thing about his second reign.

upgotheheads
21 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Yup. I was worried about that combination but it worked a treat, I think we'll be seeing more of it.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Had a great game yesterday, plays consistently like that when called upon and he'll get much more minutes

Pasquale for King

He took his chance to show what he can do. There’s definitely a player there and I think if he listens to the manager he will get better. 

Nobreath
20 hours ago, Rampant said:

Confidence player - of all our players, Toby's one we'd do well to not round on the second he has a shaky moment.

This.

Hopefully in Kents absence he can put in some solid performances. Enough to retain his position when Kent comes back.

Want to see the laddie succeed. 

Well played Toby.

Outstanding game today.

Won all his personal duels and distributed the ball well.

Maeda must still be in his back pocket.

saxondale
13 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Scary potential.

Given your praise for Naismith, can you not trust him to play Sibbick in his best position (Centre Back)?

RustyRightPeg
36 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Given your praise for Naismith, can you not trust him to play Sibbick in his best position (Centre Back)?

Surely by now, you know that Bong man knows best?

saxondale
7 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Surely by now, you know that Bong man knows best?

True, but I really want to understand how his mind works.

wattie exploited

you never know what Toby is going to show up but yesterday he was great well done Toby :rifle:

spirt of 98
4 hours ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

That's it for Sibbick. He's not great if you've got people running at him but if it's a physical game, he's normally pretty decent. 

Him having to deal with Kyogo was giving me fits in the last 20 though. That Rodgers isn't able to get a song out of a guy that was absolutely unplayable for 2 seasons is the most damning thing about his second reign.

Kyogo look dangerous at every attack. 

Bongo 1874
2 hours ago, saxondale said:

I trust him,But when Kent is back he slots right back in,then we have Halkett.

saxondale
12 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I trust him,But when Kent is back he slots right back in,then we have Halkett.

That doesn't answer my question.

Bongo 1874
10 minutes ago, saxondale said:

That doesn't answer my question.

It does because once Kent is back,he won't be playing there,just a matter of opinion but the boy has bags of pace,we could play 433 with the two other midfielders getting up and supporting Shankland.

When teams try and counter why have Tobys pace to bail us out.

I think the problem is I'm a driven individual i want the best.

Some people don't know what it's like to win something, so they just accept any old mediocrity.

Not me I'm in it,to win it.

I want all the Marbles.

saxondale
37 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

It does because once Kent is back,he won't be playing there,just a matter of opinion but the boy has bags of pace,we could play 433 with the two other midfielders getting up and supporting Shankland.

Some people don't know what it's like to win something, so they just accept any old mediocrity.

I want all the Marbles.

You are still not answering my question.

Naismith has had a number of opportunities to play Sibbick in CDM, he has done so once, but has played Sibbick mostly CB, so he obviously thinks he is better at CB. Do you think Naismith is wrong to think this?

Bongo 1874
53 minutes ago, saxondale said:

You are still not answering my question.

Naismith has had a number of opportunities to play Sibbick in CDM, he has done so once, but has played Sibbick mostly CB, so he obviously thinks he is better at CB. Do you think Naismith is wrong to think this?

I think 433 or 4141,is a formation we should play.

It's quite obvious for the most part Naismith is right,or he wouldn't be getting the results he is.

In my opinion Sibbick is a holding midfielder,and allows the team to be more attacking with him having pace.

I'm not right or wrong because we have never tried this.

When Sibbick has played in midfield its been a 4231.

That said he looked good to me all those years ago.

And genuinely as a holder doesn't do much wrong.

He's not going to get a game in defence ahead of the likes of Kent when fit,not even Halkett, or Rowles or even Kingsley.

That's four players that can play centre-back better than him.

My opinion he can play just ahead of them and break up attacks.

He has pace,If you keep on top of him and guide him through games he is fine.

He doesn't take criticism well.

Other players can.

It's about getting the very best out of him.

He loves our club.

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I want all the Marbles.

Not just driven Bongo you are also switched on. Great combination for an online fantasist looking for marbles. 

On Toby he doesn’t have the skills or mentality to play centre midfield. That’s not me saying he is a bad player because he isn’t but he mikes behind our other midfielders including the young guys that get played before him. It’s a shame your fantasist nature stops you conceding SN knows best and you only back him when it he does something that you agree with. 

Cambo_Jambo

He gets lost trying to position himself at right back where he's normally played as a full back and has less attacking responsibilities so he doesn't go wandering. He struggles to do that well.

Playing in the midfield, I can't see him managing that any better given the game is far more 360⁰ and you're absolutely key for keeping a teams shape.

tcjambo
19 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Levein

JamboAl
32 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Decent cover for two centre backs missing. 

Correct.

We have a squad which should be utilised thoughtfully.

Some opposing teams will have very speedy forwards and Toby's pace will be an essential counter.  Other games may require a more blood and thunder approach to selection when Halkett and Kent are likely to fare best - assuming of course we can get Halkett fit enough more often.