Leil Abada and the Scottish football media.

GinRummy

6 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

So no poppy days then?

FWIW, I'd be fine with no politics at football. Clubs are communities that contain many different viewpoints. Agree with your first point though the truth is, the men who own/ run Celtic are the not the leftish Irish rebel types some of their fans might be. Most of them are rich Brit Unionists and one, yon Lord Reid, a Labour war criminal due to him 'commanding' the British Army in the Iraq War.

Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I've always thought of poppy days as to do with rememberance of the war dead. 

To me a minutes silence for those that gave their lives in war isn't a political statement, its just common decency. Respect for their sacrifice. 

Yeah, Celtic aren't the peoples club they like to kid on they are. A souless corporate entity. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sub4TiddlerMurray

• hughesie27

• The Hogfather

• jamboinglasgow

hughesie27
16 minutes ago, OTT said:

Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I've always thought of poppy days as to do with rememberance of the war dead. 

To me a minutes silence for those that gave their lives in war isn't a political statement, its just common decency. Respect for their sacrifice. 

Yeah, Celtic aren't the peoples club they like to kid on they are. A souless corporate entity. 

That's Celtics issue with the Poppy, it doesn't just cover Remebering the dead from the 2 World Wars. It encompasses the Army of today and recent(ish) history, crucially the soldiers stationed in Northern Ireland during The Troubles.

To them it's a political statement.

PhoenixHearts
14 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

**** Liel Abada, **** Israel, **** Zionism and Zionists.

If he hasn't come out and condemned the genocide then it should be assumed he supports the genocide.

Correct.

Des Lynam
14 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

**** Liel Abada, **** Israel, **** Zionism and Zionists.

If he hasn't come out and condemned the genocide then it should be assumed he supports the genocide.

10 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Correct.

You guys sound as dumb as this guy……

IMG_2630.jpeg

JimmyCant
On 03/03/2024 at 08:22, XB52 said:

Can't stand the green Brigade goons but back that statement 100%. 

You do realise that the ‘resistance’ in this case is actually Hamas ? (A terrorist organisation)

Sub4TiddlerMurray
On 02/03/2024 at 23:49, Exile fae Main Street said:

Palestinian flags all over East London....think that Tory MP called it right about Saddiq Khan and his mates...🤥

No, that was simply racist and wrong on every level. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray

100% agree with the Green Brigade supporting the Palestinian people and calling out the callous bombing of innocent families by the Israelis. Anyone turning their eyes and hearts away from it to make cheap points should be ashamed.

Anyone saying that politics should stay out of football should try explaining why Israel - a Middle East country - is allowed to compete in European competitions (hint: here’s a political reason for it). 

1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

100% agree with the Green Brigade supporting the Palestinian people and calling out the callous bombing of innocent families by the Israelis. Anyone turning their eyes and hearts away from it to make cheap points should be ashamed.

Anyone saying that politics should stay out of football should try explaining why Israel - a Middle East country - is allowed to compete in European competitions (hint: here’s a political reason for it). 

Is it the same reason why Australia now play Asian Cup football?

Sub4TiddlerMurray
28 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You do realise that the ‘resistance’ in this case is actually Hamas ? (A terrorist organisation)

You do realise that The Green Brigade are supporting the Palestinian people and not Hamas?

The Hogfather
On 03/03/2024 at 11:07, hughesie27 said:

That's Celtics issue with the Poppy, it doesn't just cover Remebering the dead from the 2 World Wars. It encompasses the Army of today and recent(ish) history, crucially the soldiers stationed in Northern Ireland during The Troubles.

Which makes them wrong. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 minute ago, Bender said:

Is it the same reason why Australia now play Asian Cup football?

Australia and NZ play in the Asian Cup because that is their geographical football region 

Please explain how that’s the same for Israel

jamboinglasgow

You do realise that The Green Brigade are supporting the Palestinian people and not Hamas?

I don't think they know the difference, hence their response on 7th October and refusal to apologise for that.

Plus they had the flag of the terrorist group PFLP at one game.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I don't think they know the difference, hence their response on 7th October and refusal to apologise for that.

Plus they had the flag of the terrorist group PFLP at one game.

Sometimes it's also worth acknowledging the wider sentiment (and the bigger tragedy) rather than diverting attention towards the minority (especially in football)

10 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Australia and NZ play in the Asian Cup because that is their geographical football region 

It's the same because Australia and NZ are as much a part of Asia as Israel is of Europe.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 minutes ago, Bender said:

It's the same because Australia and NZ are as much a part of Asia as Israel is of Europe.

Israel is nowhere near Europe

And Australia and NZ aren't in Asia. Why do Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan play in European competition?

indianajones
20 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

:rofl:

Incorrect. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 minute ago, Bender said:

And Australia and NZ aren't in Asia. Why do Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan play in European competition?

It's a good point TBF

30 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

They fail to condemn the acts of Hamas…that is the problem. 

hughesie27
26 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Which makes them wrong. 

From the Royal British Legion Website: 

Poppies are worn as a show of support for the Armed Forces community. 

Which part of my post makes them wrong? 

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I suggest you look at an Atlas.

The reason they play football in Europe is that their safety of players and staff cannot be guaranteed in Arab countries.

I will repeat this and nauseum 

There are no good guys in the middle east.

Israel are in the wrong, and so are the Arab states that want to wipe Israel off the face of the earth.

No winners, only losers.

As for the Green Brigade, your damn right they support Hamas. If, you think otherwise then you are very naive or stupid, or perhaps even both.

Tokyo Drifter

Never praised Celtic fans before but I applaud their flag display in support of the Palestinians. They've always been clear about where their sympathies lie  

BigAlim
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ten million for a bit part player who’s barely playing? The money Celtic make on sales is ridiculous 

Keeping politics out of football is beyond some clowns on this thread.

John Findlay
10 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Ten million for a bit part player who’s barely playing? The money Celtic make on sales is ridiculous 

Yes, it is. Should be the starting price for Lawrence Shankland. 27 goals and counting this season.

The Hogfather
18 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

From the Royal British Legion Website: 

Poppies are worn as a show of support for the Armed Forces community. 

Which part of my post makes them wrong? 

The opening line from the exact same website you got your quote from.

"Our red poppy is a symbol of both Remembrance and hope for a peaceful future."

The symbolism also reaches other countries, such as Canada, Albania and the Ukraine. And I doubt they're showing support for the British military.

On 03/03/2024 at 11:07, hughesie27 said:

But they’re a Scottish football team. What’s the troubles got to do with them?

hughesie27
1 minute ago, The Hogfather said:

The opening line from the exact same website you got your quote from.

"Our red poppy is a symbol of both Remembrance and hope for a peaceful future."

The symbolism also reaches other countries, such as Canada, Albania and the Ukraine. And I doubt they're showing support for the British military.

So, which part of my post was wrong? The Poppy doesn't symbolise support for the British Army post WWII?

hughesie27
Just now, Rudy T said:

But they’re a Scottish football team. What’s the troubles got to do with them?

Nothing to be gained from doing a merry dance around how Celtic and its fans identify themselves for over 100 years.

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

So, which part of my post was wrong? The Poppy doesn't symbolise support for the British Army post WWII?

For a start, the poppy was adopted after WWI, not WWII. And is not restricted to symbolise support for the British Army.  

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Were they supporting the oppressed Catholic population of Northern Ireland all those years or were they supporting the IRA ?

Edited by JimmyCant

Drylaw Hearts

Scottish media are gutless and won’t raise any real questions that will upset Celtic.

hughesie27
13 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

For a start, the poppy was adopted after WWI, not WWII. And is not restricted to symbolise support for the British Army.  

Yeah I covered the WW1 and 2 part in my initial post. Celtic have no issue with it focusing on remembering the dead from those wars. They argue that it has evolved to now cover all war casualties since WW2 which they don't support. Other nations adopting it as well matters not a jot.

These aren't my views, just explaining why they see it as a contentious symbol.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
26 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I suggest you look at an Atlas. The reason they play football in Europe is that their safety of players and staff cannot be guaranteed in Arab countries.

In other words, they play in Europe for political reasons. 

27 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Israel are in the wrong, and so are the Arab states that want to wipe Israel off the face of the earth.

No winners, only losers.

Israel was created by the British and allies by pushing Palestinians out of their homes. That process continues aggressively to this day by Netanyahu, except now it’s wholesale bombing.

There’s no equivalence here with others Arab countries and Israel

38 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

As for the Green Brigade, your damn right they support Hamas. If, you think otherwise then you are very naive or stupid, or perhaps even both.

The Green Brigade do not support Hamas John, you are wrong about that. 

Ironic that you call me naive and stupid. 

The Hogfather
10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Yeah I covered the WW1 and 2 part in my initial post. Celtic have no issue with it focusing on remembering the dead from those wars. They argue that it has evolved to now cover all war casualties since WW2 which they don't support. Other nations adopting it as well matters not a jot.

These aren't my views, just explaining why they see it as a contentious symbol.

And those views are wrong. They've distorted the meaning in their own heads, not because there is an actual narrative that it signifies support for every campaign the British Army have been involved in post-WWII. I'm not a Poppy Nazi, wear one or don't, I don't really care. But  let's not give credence to the idea that their views are actually on the money here.

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

In other words, they play in Europe for political reasons. 

Israel was created by the British and allies by pushing Palestinians out of their homes. That process continues aggressively to this day by Netanyahu, except now it’s wholesale bombing.

There’s no equivalence here with others Arab countries and Israel

The Green Brigade do not support Hamas John, you are wrong about that. 

Ironic that you call me naive and stupid. 

They support Hamas in the same way they support the IRA. They used veiled threats regarding the Celtic board, when they believe they have too

Yes when it comes to the middle east you are imho very naive.

hughesie27
5 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

And those views are wrong. They've distorted the meaning in their own heads, not because there is an actual narrative that it signifies support for every campaign the British Army have been involved in post-WWII. I'm not a Poppy Nazi, wear one or don't, I don't really care. But  let's not give credence to the idea that their views are actually on the money here.

You can say that, but by the British Legion's own definition, you are wrong.

It's a symbol of support for the British Army. They don't support the actions of the British Army during the troubles. They don't like the poppy.

There's no ambiguity here.

Edited by hughesie27

Smithian

The clown brigade chases Abada out and they get a 10 ****ing million dollar return? ffs

Good for Abada getting the hell out of that situation. Charlotte is an awesome city. If he plays well, they may sell him for $20 in a year.

And Charlotte FC is now going to be so damn good this season.

mellors1874
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Australia moved to the Asian federation from the oceanic one so pretty much the same.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They support Hamas in the same way they support the IRA. They used veiled threats regarding the Celtic board, when they believe they have too

Yes when it comes to the middle east you are imho very naive.

You are just making an assertion about their position on Hamas. That doesn’t make it true…despite what the Express, Sun and Telegraph tell you. That is a prime example of the ignorance and naivety you accuse me of.

scottg71
5 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

You are just making an assertion about their position on Hamas. That doesn’t make it true…despite what the Express, Sun and Telegraph tell you. That is a prime example of the ignorance and naivety you accuse me of.

Green Brigade are vermin. 

Spellczech
2 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I haven't googled it but I assume that most countries in the Middle East and North Africa are not keen to play Israel...

henryheart
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I suggest you look at an Atlas.

The reason they play football in Europe is that their safety of players and staff cannot be guaranteed in Arab countries.

No winners, only losers.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
10 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I haven't googled it but I assume that most countries in the Middle East and North Africa are not keen to play Israel...

Or the reverse is true 

The Hogfather
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

You can say that, but by the British Legion's own definition, you are wrong.

It's a symbol of support for the British Army. They don't support the actions of the British Army during the troubles. They don't like the poppy.

There's no ambiguity here.

It also honours the contribution of civilian services and the uniformed services which contribute to national peace and security and acknowledges innocent civilians who have lost their lives in conflict and acts of terrorism.

It seems you're lost in the narrative that is pushed by those who follow Celtic. I lifted this from the same website you did, btw. Certainly looks like it's for more than just celebrating the British Army. And even if it did, there are plenty Irish people in this country who just go about their business and remain entirely respectful throughout the run up to Remembrance Sunday. But we should allow Celtic fans to do as they like due to a conflict in a country the majority of their fan base aren't even from.

You're championing the opinions of a group of people who like to celebrate the deaths of innocent civilians at the hands of terrorist organisations here. Opinions that are, mostly, ill-informed.

jamboinglasgow
20 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Or the reverse is true 

This is a good explainer. In short, other Asian nations (mainly Middle eastern countries) boycotted games against Israel until a motion was put forward in the 70s to expel them from the Asian Football Federation, this passed and meant Israel had no Continental Federation there were in, UEFA a few years later took them on for international and club competitions then eventually as full members in the 90s.

As far as teams like Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan, I think its to do with the fact they were part of the Soviet Union, so when that dissolved they were close enough to Europe that they were allowed to keep in UEFA.

hughesie27
8 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

It seems you're lost in the narrative that is pushed by those who follow Celtic. I lifted this from the same website you did, btw. Certainly looks like it's for more than just celebrating the British Army. And even if it did, there are plenty Irish people in this country who just go about their business and remain entirely respectful throughout the run up to Remembrance Sunday. But we should allow Celtic fans to do as they like due to a conflict in a country the majority of their fan base aren't even from.

You're championing the opinions of a group of people who like to celebrate the deaths of innocent civilians at the hands of terrorist organisations here. Opinions that are, mostly, ill-informed.

You keep going back to the poppy covering "more than just the British army". That's very good. But fkr the 4th time,  it's the British Army part that they have the issue with 😄. The ones who murdered civilians that the Poppy "acknowledges". 

I'm not "Championing" anything. Have offered 0 personal opinion on the matter. Just stating facts.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

This is a good explainer. In short, other Asian nations (mainly Middle eastern countries) boycotted games against Israel until a motion was put forward in the 70s to expel them from the Asian Football Federation, this passed and meant Israel had no Continental Federation there were in, UEFA a few years later took them on for international and club competitions then eventually as full members in the 90s.

As far as teams like Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan, I think its to do with the fact they were part of the Soviet Union, so when that dissolved they were close enough to Europe that they were allowed to keep in UEFA.

That’s really interesting jamboinglasgow. I had always assumed it was at Israel’s behest but clearly it was a because of a boycott.

Point stands that politics were at play 

Smithian
2 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Everyone knows exactly why Israel plays in UEFA. You know the Asian football federation expelled them and you know why.

What point are you trying to make? Or did you not know they were expelled over their objections?