Leil Abada and the Scottish football media.

GinRummy

GinRummy

It’s as if Celtic’s scummy fans constant attempts to become a political movement are just routinely ignored. Here is a story about Celtic supporters effectively alienating their own player by waving Palestinian flags and it’s brushed aside by Brendan saying he isn’t in the right frame of mind. 

What does the Israel/Palestine situation have to do with supporting Celtic? Why can’t Celtic tell the full story about why he won’t play for them? Why does nobody in the media take them to task? Why do the SFA not follow UEFA’s lead over political banners? 

The big thing for me though is why has nobody from the Scottish football media got their teeth into this story. If this was Hearts or Hibs or Aberdeen fans the media would be all over the story demanding answers. 

Edited by GinRummy

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sub4TiddlerMurray

• hughesie27

• The Hogfather

• jamboinglasgow

Bongo 1874
54 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s as if Celtic’s scummy fans constant attempts to become a political movement are just routinely ignored. Here is a story about Celtic supporters effectively alienating their own player by waving Palestinian flags and it’s brushed aside by Brendan saying he isn’t in the right frame of mind. 

What does the Israel/Palestine situation have to do with supporting Celtic? Why can’t Celtic tell the full story about why he won’t play for them? Why does nobody in the media take them to task? Why do the SFA not follow UEFA’s lead over political banners? 

The big thing for me though is why has nobody from the Scottish football media got their teeth into this story. If this was Hearts or Hibs or Aberdeen fans the media would be all over the story demanding answers. 

The fear off getting banned for future press conferences,certain criteria put too certain journalists that have a good connection with said club,ensuring difficult questions aren't asked.

Bias.

And selective reporting.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I do think journalists dont want to talk about it mostly because its such divisive topic (Israel/Palestine) that a football journalist knows they would get tons of vitriolic posts whichever way they cover it. So easier to ignore it.

However it is one that I think below the surface goes beyond simply backing a group of people in another country. I do think the Green Brigade, while pro-Palestine have stepped up with this to fight the club over who controls things. They know by portraying it purely as Green Brigade trying to offer support to Palestine then they get support from groups outside the UK and free speech advocates (even if that is not the only motive) and use that pressure against the Celtic Board to let them do what they want (there has been serious issues over crowd safety that Celtic are facing consequences from UEFA and Glasgow City Council because of.)

I dont think the SFA have any rules on political barriers, so they wont touch it with a barge pole.

Its clear that Abada feels targeted and alienated at Celtic. Considering the size of country and the size of attack on 7th October, its likely that he knows at least 1 person caught up in the attack. You would want the club and fans to be able to support you, but the Green Brigade praised the attack the day it happened and refused to back down or apologise, so why would you want to play for a club whose most vocal fans praise the people who killed so many of your fellow countryman (I would say it would be the same if it was the other way round and a Palestinian player played at a club whose fans praised Israel's bombing of Gaza.)

Just a mess and no one (except Abada) comes away looking good. Also will mean no Israeli players will ever play for Celtic again (which considering how well they have done from those players is not great for Celtic.)

Bazzas right boot

Ignored. 

But the whole disgusting set up between the OF is Ignored.

No one calls it  out.

I

Jim_Duncan

Journalists in Scotland are terrified of the OF. 

Lone Striker

Can't blame Abada for being pissed off.     If the Celtic board are pissed off at him for refusing to play and/or want away, they should ban the scummy green brigade until they agree to stop their  pseudo-political b0ll0cks which has feck-all to do with football or Celtic's Irish heritage.     They won't of course, because being offended and victimised is in their DNA .

August Landmesser

**** Liel Abada, **** Israel, **** Zionism and Zionists.

If he hasn't come out and condemned the genocide then it should be assumed he supports the genocide.

the posh bit

If he didn't know when he signed that he would be playing in front of one of the few left wing football support groups in the UK, which already had strong feelings for the Palestinian people which his country's government were murdering way before October, then maybe he should have. 

Nothing wrong with Celtic fans supporting Palestine. 

Nothing wrong with Abada not wanting to play for Celtic.

Nothing story.

The Hogfather

I've no idea why any Israeli player would want to set foot anywhere near that shit hole. Their two most prominent ex-players from the region are Eyal Berkovic and Nir Bitton, who both openly regard their fans as scum.

22 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

If he hasn't come out and condemned the genocide then it should be assumed he supports the genocide.

A very thoughtful insight , thanks for sharing 

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, rory78 said:

Most of the mutants wouldn't be able to point out Gaza on a map 

Most won't be able to point out Eire either 🤔

TheBigO
2 hours ago, rory78 said:

He's most likely in Gateshead

PortyBeach
1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

If he didn't know when he signed that he would be playing in front of one of the few left wing football support groups in the UK, which already had strong feelings for the Palestinian people which his country's government were murdering way before October, then maybe he should have. 

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

Nothing story.

Is there anything more to say?

indianajones

It's a shame the every day political struggles of the world gets shoved down our throats at what should be a couple of hours of escapism at the football. It comes at us at all other angles so it's really not a surprise I suppose. 

Flying your little flags at the football (no matter what the colour) makes zero difference. The green brigade are self centred arseholes that couldn't point to Palestine on a map. It's all about me me me and making their weird club seem like the bastions of truth and goodness on social media. 

It's ****ing boring. 

Exile fae Main Street
5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Palestinian flags all over East London....think that Tory MP called it right about Saddiq Khan and his mates...🤥

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Journalists in Scotland are terrified of the OF. 

No matter what the specific subject matter is, this is very true.
If they weren’t, they would report on the weekly show of extreme bigotry, which wouldn’t go amiss in the Middle East, instead of glorifying it as a tremendous atmosphere.

The media in Scotland, and others in the wider UK, like Sky Sports, are part of the problem, in that some of them have the same bigoted views due to growing up in Scotland. Nicholas, for years, and Boyd, currently, being enthusiastic cheerleaders for the 2 to continue the duopoly based on religious bigotry, and the corruption it enables.
 It’s a poison which is very rarely confronted by the UK media, but the main reason why English football authorities will never let Rangers and Celtic compete in the English leagues.

Jim_Duncan
3 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

:cornette_dog:

Hearts1975
46 minutes ago, indianajones said:

It's a shame the every day political struggles of the world gets shoved down our throats at what should be a couple of hours of escapism at the football. It comes at us at all other angles so it's really not a surprise I suppose. 

Flying your little flags at the football (no matter what the colour) makes zero difference. The green brigade are self centred arseholes that couldn't point to Palestine on a map. It's all about me me me and making their weird club seem like the bastions of truth and goodness on social media. 

It's ****ing boring. 

Nuff said 👏👏👏

tian447
5 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

:cornette:

That's some post, eh? 

tian447

Football should be about football, and not about whatever political view the loudest shouting ***** want to shout about. 

gorgierulesapply88
8 hours ago, Dunks said:

Nothing story.

They support Hamas. 

They sing songs of praise for these terrorist organisations.

They are a horrible institution. 

Life Aquatic
1 hour ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

They support Hamas. 

They sing songs of praise for these terrorist organisations.

They are a horrible institution. 

They should be docked 17 points... 20 depending on how today goes

hughesie27
12 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

but the Green Brigade praised the attack the day it happened and refused to back down or apologise, 

They actually praised Hamas for this? In what way?

Italian Lambretta

Why go there in the first place. Sellick have signed enough Israeli players over the years surely one of them would have told Abada what their scummy goon brigade are like.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
8 hours ago, indianajones said:

It's ****ing boring. 

Nailed it. 

jamboinglasgow
33 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

They actually praised Hamas for this? In what way?

The day it happened they had banners saying “Free Palestine. Victory To The Resistance”

hughesie27
11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The day it happened they had banners saying “Free Palestine. Victory To The Resistance”

Ah, that's what I assumed. No actual mention of Hamas or the murders. Thought they would be clever enough not to explicitly come out and back the attacks. 

Leaves plenty to be read between the lines.

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Ah, that's what I assumed. No actual mention of Hamas or the murders. Thought they would be clever enough not to explicitly come out and back the attacks. 

Leaves plenty to be read between the lines.

yup, there could be an argument at that point they didnt realise the scale and horror of it, but if that was the case you would think they would clarify a few days later and say something like "we back the resistance of the people of Palestine but not these actions." but they didnt, they just doubled down.

The Treasurer
11 hours ago, Dunks said:

Nothing story.

I think its more a case of why drag politics into a sporting environment which has nothing to do with that particular cause 

26 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Can't stand the green Brigade goons but back that statement 100%. 

Gorgierools
12 hours ago, rory78 said:

Even if he offered them a fish supper 

Des Lynam
5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Did you support the IRA in its aims? 

I personally think that the sports desks at the Record and Sun are best avoiding this issue on Abada. 

Edited by Des Lynam

7 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Did you support the IRA in its aims? 

I personally think that the sports desks at the Record and Sun are best avoiding this issue on Abada. 

The original IRA? Yes

Gorgierools
5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The original IRA? Yes

So, your saying you support the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah?

Or just fishing for a reaction!

2 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

So, your saying you support the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah?

Or just fishing for a reaction!

Where did I say that? The question I was asked was fishing for a reaction so I gave him one. The original IRA are totally different to the gangsters/killers of the 70s onwards. I fully support the right of the Palestinians to fight to get their land back, be that in Gaza or the West Bank. Anyway, this should be in the shed so no more from me

GinRummy
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, XB52 said:

It’s not a statement for them to make. There are plenty pro Palestinian rallies happening, if their fans feel strongly about the issue they should just go along to those.  It’s horrible that Israeli footballers who may have family or friends affected have to see banners like that at games. Leave it out of sport. 

Edited by GinRummy

Being completely honest, I've always found it VERY VERY weird how often Celtic have dipped into the Israeli market, Biton, Kayal, Abada, Hatem Elhamed, Eyal Berkovic & Rami Gershon. I know its 5 players relative to the many hundreds that have walked through Celtics doors over the years, but their fans have pretty much made their stance on the Israel/Palastine issue clear - and they aren't supportive of Israel in any way, shape or form. To me, it seems very weird as a player to go into a club whose fans basically hate you. 

Biton especially was at Celtic for ages, but my impression is that it was far from a labour of love for him despite his longevity at the club. 

Politics has no place in football, but when fans make it such a corner stone of their club, it becomes inescapable. 

FWIW I can't be supportive of Israel, their actions over the last few months has went beyond the pale and the west bending over backwards to say nothing is disgusting. Over 11,500 children are dead, and I've seen pictures of a corpse reduced to human ragu because an israeli tank saw it appropriate to drive over one. People shot in the street whilst running away. Absolutely sickening behaviour that wouldn't be out of place in the 1940s. 

John Findlay
12 hours ago, the posh bit said:

Maybe the guy is Apolitical.

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

I think its more a case of why drag politics into a sporting environment which has nothing to do with that particular cause 

It's a fair question, but it's their choice. The European ultra scene comes from local political/cultural references, so it's nothing new or unusual. If the majority of the celtic support disagreed, it would soon be drowned out.

Ministryofdad
13 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Oooft staunch. The county you live in provides arms to both parties in this conflict. 

You being a law abiding tax payer activity supports all of this. 

Pot. Kettle. Black. 

Dinnae throw stones in glass houses 

3 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Oooft staunch. The county you live in provides arms to both parties in this conflict. 

You being a law abiding tax payer activity supports all of this. 

Pot. Kettle. Black. 

Dinnae throw stones in glass houses 

Are you suggesting that being a law abiding tax payer makes you complicit in the Government's foreign policy? And by extension, all policy? 

henrysmithsgloves
8 hours ago, tian447 said:

Football should be about football, and not about whatever political view the loudest shouting ***** want to shout about. 

:spoton:

Ministryofdad
4 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Are you suggesting that being a law abiding tax payer makes you complicit in the Government's foreign policy? And by extension, all policy? 

Exactly this. 

Thats why you elect a democratic member of parliment to represent you at government level. 

Why you should vote for local council elections also. 

Again if anyone is unhappy with this idealology they have the freedom to leave and seek another country to call home. 

There are 175 in the world. 

This island has conquered all but 6

Gundermann
14 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

👍

Sevco's song book is equally incredbile given the amount of Catholics they play these days. Not many guid auld Scottish proddies turning out for Glasgow's finest.

3 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Exactly this. 

Thats why you elect a democratic member of parliment to represent you at government level. 

Why you should vote for local council elections also. 

Again if anyone is unhappy with this idealology they have the freedom to leave and seek another country to call home. 

There are 175 in the world. 

This island has conquered all but 6

So because I disagree with many policies of the current government, I should leave my country? :blink:

Nae bother Rishi :rofl:

Gundermann
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Being completely honest, I've always found it VERY VERY weird how often Celtic have dipped into the Israeli market, Biton, Kayal, Abada, Hatem Elhamed, Eyal Berkovic & Rami Gershon. I know its 5 players relative to the many hundreds that have walked through Celtics doors over the years, but their fans have pretty much made their stance on the Israel/Palastine issue clear - and they aren't supportive of Israel in any way, shape or form. To me, it seems very weird as a player to go into a club whose fans basically hate you. 

Biton especially was at Celtic for ages, but my impression is that it was far from a labour of love for him despite his longevity at the club. 

Politics has no place in football, but when fans make it such a corner stone of their club, it becomes inescapable. 

FWIW I can't be supportive of Israel, their actions over the last few months has went beyond the pale and the west bending over backwards to say nothing is disgusting. Over 11,500 children are dead, and I've seen pictures of a corpse reduced to human ragu because an israeli tank saw it appropriate to drive over one. People shot in the street whilst running away. Absolutely sickening behaviour that wouldn't be out of place in the 1940s. 

So no poppy days then?

FWIW, I'd be fine with no politics at football. Clubs are communities that contain many different viewpoints. Agree with your first point though the truth is, the men who own/ run Celtic are the not the leftish Irish rebel types some of their fans might be. Most of them are rich Brit Unionists and one, yon Lord Reid, a Labour war criminal due to him 'commanding' the British Army in the Iraq War.