• H2

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New Town Loafer
9 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Β 

Spent a bit of time in Lahore. Some great restaurants and spectacular architecture, but generally a stinking ****ing shithole.

Were you there for work?

8 hours ago, trotter said:

Apart from judging those who like to engage in things that are deemed 'unchristian' - same sex marriage as an example? So that appears to be a sin, yet the fact that religion in general is responsible for the deaths of more people on this planet than even malaria, is conveniently overlooked.Β 

Β 

Religious people don't judge. Yeah. Sound.Β 

Your post seems a bit judgemental.

Β 

132goals1958

Maybe a good idea just to be a respectful and good person in life. Even just as an insurance in terms of what comes next. It doesn’t even mean believing in religionΒ 

Gundermann
12 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Of the abrahamic ones it’s definitely Christianity.

Β 

You can certainly see why the Royal Family are defenders of this faith.

Β 

3wf8xq.jpg

JudyJudyJudy

Sadly the original teachings of Jesus ( if true) have been distorted to suit various religious nutters . So it’s a no from me regarding religions , but if people are comforted it by it well that’s fine but don’t use it as a shied to hide behind their prejudices . β€œ God β€œ is whatever you want it to be mean . I think of the Β word as β€œGood spirits β€œ.Β 

Gundermann
11 hours ago, Ked said:

I meant Islam was good if you're a man.

Β 

The Christian bible is a bastion of feminism?

Β 

Screenshot2024-02-27at09-35-01BibleGatewaypassageDeuteronomy2213-21-NewInternationalVersion.png.de559c752bd7485287e9bf9faa00be24.png

Jim_Duncan
50 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Β 

Β 

3wf8xq.jpg

Nothing there that seems incongruous with me living my best life, TBH.Β 

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Were you there for work?

If by work you mean poking his way around the seediest brothels in town, then yes, I imagine he was.Β 

Malinga the Swinga
12 hours ago, Ked said:

A Straight man maybe

henrysmithsgloves
9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

If by work you mean poking his way around the seediest brothels in town, then yes, I imagine he was.Β 

Β 

th-500436112.jpg

Malinga the Swinga
12 hours ago, Ked said:

A straight man maybe, not sure a gay man would agree

luckyBatistuta

Still can’t understand why grown adults can believe in wee fairy stories, absolute wallpapers. Each to their own, but still absolute wallopers

If I HAD to have a religion it would be Balinese Hinduism, boils down to doing more good than bad in your life and then you'll be ok, traditional celebrations are seen as community events and include everyone, Hindu or not.Β 

Β 

Also Hinduism doesn't have a central authority so there isn't a list of things you can or cannot do, it's really upto the individual so for things like alcohol, it's not forbidden but it does increase the likelihood of doing something bad so most Hindu's avoid it

2 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Β 

Β 

3wf8xq.jpg

As I understand it, they're all Old Testament and I was under the impression that big JC said we can ignore all that shite now he was here.Β 

would consider myself spiritual cause I’ve never looked into any religions but gotta give a shout out to the Sikh’s.Β 
Β 

got a husband and wife that’s customers, we had an issue getting parts sorted after the motor was already stripped down (rookie mistake), instead of firing us abuse they brought us food and random gifts constantly. Could’ve shed a tear handing the motor back knowing nae mare random pakora will be handed in πŸ˜‚.Β 
Β 

it didnae stop though they still pop in way grub and gifts regular, some team.Β 

Gundermann
38 minutes ago, Norm said:

As I understand it, they're all Old Testament and I was under the impression that big JC said we can ignore all that shite now he was here.Β 

Β 

Wondered that. Strange that so many still cling on to Old Testament 'morals'. Unionists in Ireland, the Wee Frees here and the US conservatives, for example.

57 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Β 

Wondered that. Strange that so many still cling on to Old Testament 'morals'. Unionists in Ireland, the Wee Frees here and the US conservatives, for example.

Some do go by the old testament, as they believe Jesus meant we just don't have to follow the Old Testament rules regarding ceremonial stuff like circumcision and kosher food, but the moral laws still apply. Others think it was all bullshit and only the words of Jesus are important.Β 

Β 

Personally, JC sounded like a decent bloke and most of his stuff is a fairly decent way to spend your life, even if he was batshit mental and thought he was the son of a god.Β 

Some of the cult ones look a good laugh. Where you get to keep all the congregations money and have dozens of wifes that you can boss about.

Watt-Zeefuik

Sorry, I'm Reformed, and therefore totally depraved, so it can't be mine.

15 hours ago, Ked said:

So organised religion and political thought hadn't advanced humanity?

Β 

Must have missed Egypt Rome and Greece of the top ma heid

So current wars, (and past) all caused by religion and politics are beneficial and good in your heid! - Tell that to the victims. The Hate embroiled in the Ugly sisters, where does that come from?
You must have missed all of evolution and history!

New Town Loafer
4 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Β 

Β 

3wf8xq.jpg

That is the OT, not the New Testament.

Watt-Zeefuik
3 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Β 

There's also a fair bit of stupid shit in the NT as well, particularly in Paul's epistles. He wrote some of the most beautiful parts of the NT but also wrote so much complicated and sometimes just silly stuff that the end of Peter's second epistle says this:

Β 

"So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given to him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures."

Β 

I can almost feel the eye-rolls coming of the page in that text. "Yeah Paul's a good one, but FFS man . . ."

Β 

Beyond that, this is 1 Timothy 1:12-15, which has been used to keep throwing women out of clergy roles for centuries. "12I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she is to keep silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15Yet she will be saved through childbearing, provided they continue in faith and love and holiness, with modesty. "

Β 

Fortunately for most of the worst passages in the OT and the NT, there's plenty of other passages that directly contradict them in places of higher authority. But unfortunately those passages are there and are a refuge for people who want to find some justification to be terrible.

Watt-Zeefuik
14 minutes ago, H2 said:

So current wars, (and past) all caused by religion and politics are beneficial and good in your heid! - Tell that to the victims. The Hate embroiled in the Ugly sisters, where does that come from?

How many people involved in Rangers-Celtic sectarian violence ever darken the door of a church?

Β 

There was a thread on here a year or two ago about the Orange Order, and one JKB member saying he put on the sash and parade to show his pride in his "Protestant heritage" but also never bothers going to church and isn't religious.

Β 

Religion has caused its fair share of violence (and prevented a fair share as well in other situations but anyway), but sometimes it's just an excuse.

5 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

How many people involved in Rangers-Celtic sectarian violence ever darken the door of a church?

Β 

There was a thread on here a year or two ago about the Orange Order, and one JKB member saying he put on the sash and parade to show his pride in his "Protestant heritage" but also never bothers going to church and isn't religious.

Β 

Religion has caused its fair share of violence (and prevented a fair share as well in other situations but anyway), but sometimes it's just an excuse.

So you have to go to Church to be religious now? When did that become the case?Β 
Throughout history wrong doing has been protected by religion, especially the promotion of men at the expense of women.Β 
Wake up, look at the victims created in the name of religion, children sexually assaulted, war victims, mothers who have lost children.Β 

Tell the people of Israel and Palestine, you think it's ok they are at war over religion.

Β 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, H2 said:

So you have to go to Church to be religious now? When did that become the case?Β 
Throughout history wrong doing has been protected by religion, especially the promotion of men at the expense of women.Β 
Wake up, look at the victims created in the name of religion, children sexually assaulted, war victims, mothers who have lost children.Β 

Tell the people of Israel and Palestine, you think it's ok they are at war over religion.

Β 

Β 

If someone says they aren't religious but want to celebrate their "Protestant heritage," am I telling them, no, you are in fact religious?

Β 

The war in Israel and Palestine is only tangentially due to religion. Ask Palestinian Christians and Jews how they feel about the invasion, or secular Jews how they see it. It is a war between two peoples with two national identities that also has the trappings of religion. It takes idiots in Europe and the US to see it only as Judaism vs. Islam.

Β 

Not sure what evolution has to do with this question.

1 minute ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Β 

If someone says they aren't religious but want to celebrate their "Protestant heritage," am I telling them, no, you are in fact religious?

Β 

The war in Israel and Palestine is only tangentially due to religion. Ask Palestinian Christians and Jews how they feel about the invasion, or secular Jews how they see it. It is a war between two peoples with two national identities that also has the trappings of religion. It takes idiots in Europe and the US to see it only as Judaism vs. Islam.

Β 

Not sure what evolution has to do with this question.

I am struggling to understand your first sentence. Anyone can be any religion they want to be, or not. You have no say in what religion anyone chooses to be, mind you some religions do think they have the right to impinge on people's beliefs! If it makes you feel good and does no one any harm, enjoy and celebrate it. When it does harm - It is wrong.

To suggest the war in Israel and Palestine is not religious is "idiotic", no matter what other parameter you want to include, the primary source is religion.

To be unsure what evolution has to do with it ?????, Try going back in history and follow events from the area when the people of different religions lived in peace together, then what "evolved" from there. Everything through history evolves, it's just fact, but hey why let facts get in the way of a book supporting religion?
Β 

Watt-Zeefuik
20 minutes ago, H2 said:

I am struggling to understand your first sentence. Anyone can be any religion they want to be, or not. You have no say in what religion anyone chooses to be, mind you some religions do think they have the right to impinge on people's beliefs! If it makes you feel good and does no one any harm, enjoy and celebrate it. When it does harm - It is wrong.

To suggest the war in Israel and Palestine is not religious is "idiotic", no matter what other parameter you want to include, the primary source is religion.

To be unsure what evolution has to do with it ?????, Try going back in history and follow events from the area when the people of different religions lived in peace together, then what "evolved" from there. Everything through history evolves, it's just fact, but hey why let facts get in the way of a book supporting religion?
Β 

Β 

I can tell you're struggling to understand it, but I'm not sure how that's my problem. My prior post clearly told a very brief anecdote about a JKB member who said on this very forum that he wasn't religious but that he saw the Orange Order as part of his "Protestant heritage." Does that make the Order's ****ing nonsense a religious thing or not? It would be sophistry of the highest order to say it wasn't religious at all but when the people involved are claiming very plainly religious trappings while calling themselves not religious, it should be a signal that something else is going on here. You're leaning on 'history' like a drunkard uses a lamp post for support, but if you go to it for illumination instead it's possible to unpack it without resorting to silly basic polemics.

Β 

The primary source of the conflict in Israel is Zionism and the resistance to it by the prior residents of the territory who contest the creation of the state of Israel. If you want to see how tangential religion is to the conflict, consider what happens to the rights on an Israeli citizen if they convert to Islam, or what rights are conferred on a resident of Gaza who converts to Judaism. The answer is exactly the same: nothing. Absolutely nothing. An huge proportion of the Israeli population are secular atheists but they widely support the brutal action in Gaza. Again, "history" is great for illumination here.

Β 

I think you're trying to use "evolution" as some kind of shibboleth here or for point-scoring. I think you're doing it out of extreme ignorance, but at the very least be explicit about what you're saying.

il Duce McTarkin
6 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Were you there for work?

Β 

No, just visiting. I had friends in the embassy at Islamabad.

ScottieMac17

In terms of entertaining stories, the old Egyptian religion was pretty good. The links betweenΒ Horus and Jesus are comical considering the ancient Egyptian religious stories predate anything from the bible, but Horus and Jesus are the same person.

Β 

Buddhism is the best for me, but I don't follow any religions.Β 

highlandjambo3

They are all pish……..not one single mullah, archbishop, prophet, pope etc can claim they have any ACTUAL proof…..yes they have beliefs but that’s it, belief and nothing else. Β You’d be hard pushed to point out any corner of the planet that hasn’t been f****d over by religion at some point……look at the state of the place.

Watt-Zeefuik
24 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

In terms of entertaining stories, the old Egyptian religion was pretty good. The links betweenΒ Horus and Jesus are comical considering the ancient Egyptian religious stories predate anything from the bible, but Horus and Jesus are the same person.

Β 

Buddhism is the best for me, but I don't follow any religions.Β 

Β 

:lol: Galaxy brain stuff! Usually I hear it as Osiris, Horus is a new one though.

17 hours ago, Cade said:

Personal faith can be a good thing.

It can give people comfort and strength.

I have zero issue with people who find individual solace in whatever religion they please.

They take what they need from the teachings and tenets of that religion and decide for themselves how to interpret those.

Β 

Organised religion, however, is a very bad thing.

That's when you let someone else tell you how the religion is supposed to be interpreted and how you should act and how you should think.

And that never ends well.

Organised religions are prone to exploitative people in positions of power, who willingly twist the teachings and tenets of that religion to suit their own selfish goals, obsessions, financial desires, sexual perversions and bitter hatreds.

Then the different people at the head of each religion split off and form fundamentalist sects, with their followers all pitted against each other in a battle to the death.

All because someone in power gets carried away with their own bullshit.

Untold millions of people have died throughout history because of this insanity.Β 

Β 

Exactly where I am. If someone believes in any God, without proof I find it odd but would never tell them there isn't one, because I simply don't have that proof either. Β That's the very nature of belief though I suppose. Believe what you want, live your life, but don't force it on me and we'll be fine.

Β 

So much bad is done in the name of religion though, and it is so malleable around the whole 'will of God' thing, that I find it very hard to comprehend people buying into it. Hundreds and thousands of years ago, when there was no better way of explaining things and the world in general, I can see where it was developed and even needed. There are too many questions and not enough answers though for me.

Β 

A neighbour of mine, years ago, very religious 'born again' type folks, had a stroke. It was looking bad for a while, but eventually he got home. Speaking to his wife she told us that they had linked up all their churches and that everyone prayed for him at the same time and that it was the power of prayer through God that saved him. I thought that the NHS might just have had something to say about that, but apart from that if God saved him - who gave him the stroke that left him bed ridden, shitting in a nappy and unable to speak or feed himself? Β Surely you can't have it both ways. As the Simpsons neatly deconstructed it - 'Thank you God for sending Lisa to catch the moth that you sent'.....

1 minute ago, Daktari said:

Exactly where I am. If someone believes in any God, without proof I find it odd but would never tell them there isn't one, because I simply don't have that proof either. Β That's the very nature of belief though I suppose. Believe what you want, live your life, but don't force it on me and we'll be fine.

Β 

So much bad is done in the name of religion though, and it is so malleable around the whole 'will of God' thing, that I find it very hard to comprehend people buying into it. Hundreds and thousands of years ago, when there was no better way of explaining things and the world in general, I can see where it was developed and even needed. There are too many questions and not enough answers though for me.

Β 

A neighbour of mine, years ago, very religious 'born again' type folks, had a stroke. It was looking bad for a while, but eventually he got home. Speaking to his wife she told us that they had linked up all their churches and that everyone prayed for him at the same time and that it was the power of prayer through God that saved him. I thought that the NHS might just have had something to say about that, but apart from that if God saved him - who gave him the stroke that left him bed ridden, shitting in a nappy and unable to speak or feed himself? Β Surely you can't have it both ways. As the Simpsons neatly deconstructed it - 'Thank you God for sending Lisa to catch the moth that you sent'.....

Or maybe it's like Tom Waits said - 'There aint no Devil, it's just God when he's drunk'. :)Β 

Spellczech
8 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Β 

Β 

3wf8xq.jpg

I've never quite understood why no sect of Christianity has ever cut itself loose fromt the Old Testament. It is like they are so scared of losing old Moses and his 10 Commandments that they feel it is necessary to hold onto the above shoite too...

Spellczech
18 hours ago, Cade said:

Personal faith can be a good thing.

It can give people comfort and strength.

I have zero issue with people who find individual solace in whatever religion they please.

They take what they need from the teachings and tenets of that religion and decide for themselves how to interpret those.

Β 

Organised religion, however, is a very bad thing.

That's when you let someone else tell you how the religion is supposed to be interpreted and how you should act and how you should think.

And that never ends well.

Organised religions are prone to exploitative people in positions of power, who willingly twist the teachings and tenets of that religion to suit their own selfish goals, obsessions, financial desires, sexual perversions and bitter hatreds.

Then the different people at the head of each religion split off and form fundamentalist sects, with their followers all pitted against each other in a battle to the death.

All because someone in power gets carried away with their own bullshit.

Untold millions of people have died throughout history because of this insanity.Β 

Β 

yep I think this is a clearer, better written version of the point i was trying to make earlier...

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Β 

There's also a fair bit of stupid shit in the NT as well, particularly in Paul's epistles. He wrote some of the most beautiful parts of the NT but also wrote so much complicated and sometimes just silly stuff that the end of Peter's second epistle says this:

Β 

"So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given to him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures."

Β 

I can almost feel the eye-rolls coming of the page in that text. "Yeah Paul's a good one, but FFS man . . ."

Β 

Beyond that, this is 1 Timothy 1:12-15, which has been used to keep throwing women out of clergy roles for centuries. "12I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she is to keep silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15Yet she will be saved through childbearing, provided they continue in faith and love and holiness, with modesty. "

Β 

Fortunately for most of the worst passages in the OT and the NT, there's plenty of other passages that directly contradict them in places of higher authority. But unfortunately those passages are there and are a refuge for people who want to find some justification to be terrible.

Did one bit of the bible say that β€œ man should not lie with another Man Unless stoned β€œ or am I getting mixed up ? πŸ˜‚

1 hour ago, Daktari said:

Β 

Β 

Nail on the head . Am a member of various health support groups and it’s usually the yanks who say β€œ

thoughts and prayers β€œ for people not doing well and need an intervention . God does didly squat it’s the highly specialised trained medical professions who are my gods . They even saved my life one time ! They are the modern gods in my book . It’s nice people send kind words but knock off the god patter with itΒ 

Maple Leaf

Anthropologists estimate that there have been about 18,000 different gods in human history.Β  Almost all of them have disappeared.Β  There's reason the believe that today's gods will also disappear one day, to be replaced by others, no doubt.Β  Unless homo sapiens wipes itself out first!

Β 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/your-brain-food/202107/why-do-humans-keep-inventing-gods-worship#:~:text=Anthropologists estimate that at least,since our species first appeared.

Gundermann
3 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Β 

It is the bible though and I've had friend's kids come home with it from their Sunday school.Β 

19 hours ago, Ked said:

Mate.

You've been shat on recently.

You mind the good outlook you had before that happened and get back there biddy.

I'm on it, Ked. Β :thumb:

4 hours ago, H2 said:

Like it or not violence has secured everyone who posts on here a cushy existence.

Relatively .

BTW I think it's you who has missed evolution and history.

The world in essence is tough and violent.

I think the new testament with Jesus as the leader was progression.

I'm not advocating violence buddy I'm just saying that both violence and enlightenment are tied.

Β 

Β 

18 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Β 

It is the bible though and I've had friend's kids come home with it from their Sunday school.Β 

New testament was the socialism of world politics back in the day mate.