Medals / mounting

PaddysBar

PaddysBar

Anyone got any recommendations for a company that can buff up / mount medals?

I’ve just got my granddad’s WWII medals and would really like to have them on my wall to remind me of him and his generation. 

Cheers. 

il Duce McTarkin

Could give you plenty of info on mounting bursds, PB, but medals aren't my area of expertise. 🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

I’ve just got my granddad’s WWII medals and would really like to have them on my wall to remind me of him and his generation. 

Cheers. 

If you contact a local Legion they should be able to put you in contact with someone who does this. I did that here in Canada ( after a recommendation from someone in Scotland) a few years ago with my Uncles Medals. The cost , I thought was super reasonable too. 

il Duce McTarkin
37 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

56 Saughton mains street. Ghillie Mir is their name

Screenshot_20240224-213435~3.png

That's pretty smart, tbh.

PaddysBar
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Thanks John. 

hughesie27
4 hours ago, SecN said:

Trophy shop in Ardmillan help?

Believe that's shut down now.

Mac_fae_Gillie

If you do this, and the ribbons get replaced ask for the originals back as well. just put store them, in case they ever get sold of in the future.(envelope stuck on back of frame best).

If carlsberg did rivals...
15 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Cheers. 

Be careful when it comes to cleaning medals, I appreciate you're not selling them but dealers always like medals and coins to have a natural patina and not look like they're just out the factory door!

15 hours ago, John Findlay said:

That's really nice, I used to buy and sell a lot of militaria and always preferred WW1 campaign medals as they're stamped to the recipient, it feels like there's more of a story to them.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

That's really nice, I used to buy and sell a lot of militaria and always preferred WW1 campaign medals as they're stamped to the recipient, it feels like there's more of a story to them.

They don't belong to me. This is photo the company use for advertising.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They don't belong to me. This is photo the company use for advertising.

Oh right, well they're still really nice!

highlandjambo3

Do it yourself…..get a deep picturframe…….

Im currently doing mine for my daughter and grandkids to have….nearly finished, just got to get a couple of brass plates engraved and two more medals to mount.  My dog tags are also in the case.

It was a couple of months back I thought how sad it is that all the stuff you have memories of only get handed down to your kids after you snuff it and they clear your things out.  So, I decided to do my medals and make a memory box as well.  I still have my daughters baby band from when she was born…..that sort of thing……here’s mine…..I’ve got two more medals to mount, brass plates then it’s done 👍

IMG_6035.jpeg

I am also going to type up a bit of info on each medal…where…when etc and leave this info in the memory box……my grandkids may get a show/tell at school….they can also be easily removed and worn at remembrance parades etc….of which I’d be extremely proud.  

Edited by highlandjambo3

PaddysBar
4 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

Be careful when it comes to cleaning medals, I appreciate you're not selling them but dealers always like medals and coins to have a natural patina and not look like they're just out the factory door!

thanks but as you say, I wouldn’t be selling them so will get them cleaned. Also got his dog tags, a ribbon bar and two tiny little metal roses. No idea what they’re for. 

Nothing fancy in terms of medals but he did have an interesting army / war career. 

He was in Africa, at El-Alamein etc. and then in Germany towards the end of the war. He was then part of the emergency reserve post-war and as he was a docker he got called up during the suez crisis after the dock manager got murdered. 

Apparently he was on a 48 hour call up notice period after the war. Not sure if that was standard or not?

PaddysBar
3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Im currently doing mine for my daughter and grandkids to have….nearly finished, just got to get a couple of brass plates engraved and two more medals to mount.  My dog tags are also in the case.

It was a couple of months back I thought how sad it is that all the stuff you have memories of only get handed down to your kids after you snuff it and they clear your things out.  So, I decided to do my medals and make a memory box as well.  I still have my daughters baby band from when she was born…..that sort of thing……here’s mine…..I’ve got two more medals to mount, brass plates then it’s done 👍

IMG_6035.jpeg

I am also going to type up a bit of info on each medal…where…when etc and leave this info in the memory box……my grandkids may get a show/tell at school….they can also be easily removed and worn at remembrance parades etc….of which I’d be extremely proud.  

Thanks, and you’re right. No point them being in a drawer until you snuff it. You should be proud of them and explain to your kids / grandkids what they represent. I’m researching my granddads now. Nothing fancy but a couple I still need to find out about. 

I’m chuffed to get his medals etc but part of me is a wee bit gutted his battle-dress is missing. I can remember it hanging up in the wardrobe at my grandparents in the 70s / 80s. 

highlandjambo3
7 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

I’m chuffed to get his medals etc but part of me is a wee bit gutted his battle - dress is missing. I can remember it hanging up in the wardrobe at my grandparents in the 70s / 80s. 

I managed to keep mine 😁

IMG_6036.jpeg

I always find it fascinating the different mindsets of people that leave the forces. Some people always feel defined by it and never really let it go (including the strange, to me, ones that do minimum length but still go on about it constantly). While others leave it behind as soon as they leave. My old man left after 15 years and that was that. No keepsakes or souvenirs taken with him apart from his medals and his wooden box to get his personal possessions back to Edinburgh. 

PaddysBar
4 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I managed to keep mine 😁

IMG_6036.jpeg

And you cook breakfast in the morning too, I’m booking your b&B😂

crunchy frog
4 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

IMG_6035.jpeg

Good shout bud. I've got my grandads WW2 medals framed and mounted with the story of where he went on the back as dictated by him. Its something money can't buy and if my house was on fire that the only thing I'd save. 

crunchy frog
2 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Good shout bud. I've got my grandads WW2 medals framed and mounted with the story of where he went on the back as dictated by him. Its something money can't buy and if my house was on fire that the only thing I'd save. 

Screenshot_20240225-172003_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7f163110f3f58e38d2c15d70b5b1de43.jpg

crunchy frog
Just now, crunchy frog said:

Screenshot_20240225-172003_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7f163110f3f58e38d2c15d70b5b1de43.jpg

Excuse the family guy tv show in the background 

il Duce McTarkin
6 hours ago, Tazio said:

I always find it fascinating the different mindsets of people that leave the forces. Some people always feel defined by it and never really let it go (including the strange, to me, ones that do minimum length but still go on about it constantly). While others leave it behind as soon as they leave. My old man left after 15 years and that was that. No keepsakes or souvenirs taken with him apart from his medals and his wooden box to get his personal possessions back to Edinburgh. 

I was in the Boys Brigade for a while. 

Initially wanted to join the Scouts as my mate was in them, but my old man reckoned there were too many Catholics.

Didn't keep any of my wee coloured sleeve badges.

JudyJudyJudy

I have a nice Hearts flag which belonged to my dad and I framed it myself and have it on my wall .  It’s over 50 years old now . 

highlandjambo3
13 hours ago, Tazio said:

I did 25 years and if you wandered around my house you would not find any military memorabilia anywhere linking me to the forces.  I’m not in the local forces association and, I’ve never set foot in a British legion before.  I also don’t attend any remembrance parades or wear a poppy, although I do give donations to the British legion.  I view my military career as an old job I used to do but, I don’t do it any more….nothing sinister, each to their own.