Shankland&Ginnelly Partnership

Bongo 1874

Bongo 1874

Best partnership in the league, i took some criticism for saying this.

If we had Ginnelly we would be closer to Celtic&Rangers.

I think Vargas can fill the shoes of Gino, if he gets settled run in that role. 

Oda be a JT

They clicked, that’s for sure!

Whats with all the ex-player threads btw, we should be looking forward not back!

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Starting to think Vargas is the man to step into those shoes 

1 minute ago, Peebo said:

I think Vargas can fill the shoes of Gino, if he gets settled run in that role. 

Let's be Greedy and have Both 😉.

skacel103
9 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Hes been injured so that scenario wouldn't have happened this season

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

What's the point in this?

For those that doubted and ripped the piss,we aren't as far away from them, as they said.

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

For those that doubted and ripped the piss,we aren't as far away from them, as they said.

But ginnelly no longer plays for hearts so it's a pointless thread.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Our strength this year is our defence, dont think Ginnelly played there, not the reason we are closer. We defend as a team, attack as a team, sure Gino would have done fine in this team, not sure he really improves it, he was still part of the shitshow that let the Sheep get by us

Bongo 1874
5 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

But ginnelly no longer plays for hearts so it's a pointless thread.

My point is if we had kept Ginnelly, I believe we would be closer this season, despite him leaving we have closed the gap.

Maybe people should take that into account.

Edited by Bongo 1874

26 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

24 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

This

Madjambo21
8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

My point is if we had kept Ginnelly, I believe we would be closer this season, despite him leaving we have closed the gap.

Think the biggest thing was how poor we started the season.

It has taken Naismith some time to get us to where we are at right now but I'm not sure Gino would have changed that.

Would have loved to keep a fully fit Gino for sure.

Funny how Ginnelly wasn't rated by a fair chunk of our support yet all we've done since he left is wish him back. Don't know what you've got til it's gone type of thing. The fact he had a position named after him as the "Gino role" speaks volumes. 

However, he's gone now.

Edited by Chimp

The White Cockade
36 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Ginnelly didn’t want to stay and he left 

We’ve moved on and he’s not coming back 

Kenny Vargas is looking good so far and if he keeps improving will be a more than adequate replacement 

I think Kenny will become a better player. Next season will be the big test I think, he's had a season to settle in and done pretty well. So I'll be really interested to see how he improves next season etc. 

OmiyaHearts
47 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

As ever, to try and get one up on other posters and say he was right all along. 

OP only cares about being right, Hearts clear second in priorities.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

Best strike partnership we've had this century. I'm pretty sure the majority could see that at the time & didn't need you to point it out to them :lol: 

RustyRightPeg

If we had Gino we’d be a man short. He snapped his Achilles. 

Stupid thread. 

44 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If we kept Ginnely he would be currently sitting on the treatment table with a snapped achillies.

You should take that into account before starting pointless thread.

tiger Rudi
1 hour ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Agreed, I hope we get him tied down on a long permanent contract. He's a player. Starting to hit the net regularly......... Who's Gino? 

He was terrific in the last 6 months when he was playing for a new contract/move.  Before that he was way too inconsistent. 

Scored a screamer on his debut at Swansea, but has only played 6 games due to injury.  We can do better.

Edited by makateer

davemclaren
43 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Best strike partnership we've had this century. I'm pretty sure the majority could see that at the time & didn't need you to point it out to them :lol: 

Jankauakis and Bednar might disagree. 

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Jankauakis and Bednar might disagree. 

Great players but I'd take Shankland & Gino over them personally

41 minutes ago, makateer said:

He was terrific in the last 6 months when he was playing for a new contract/move.  Before that he was way too inconsistent. 

Scored a screamer on his debut at Swansea, but has only played 6 games due to injury.  We can do better.

Or you could argue he was terrific in the last 6 months when moved to a central role alongside Shankland

Watt-Zeefuik

Vargas is almost already to Gino's peak form and he's got way more potential.

Loved Gino but he was just a good pacy striker. Best of luck to him (and a full recovery from a terrible injury) but he's been replaced.

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

All about opinions. 

Watt-Zeefuik
3 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

To me I'd take Shankland and any functional second striker over most other pairs since Robbo.

Former Chicago Bull Scott Williams said of one game, "I'll always remember this as the night Michael Jordan and I combined for 66 points." (Jordan had scored 64, Williams 2.)

2 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

To me it seems like it's an opportunity for the OP to remind everyone they know better than everyone else...

Lots of positivity, enthusiasm, and different (though repetitive) insights which should be commended, but too often it's veiled with a smug, bordering on arrogant manner. 

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

As ever, to try and get one up on other posters and say he was right all along. 

OP only cares about being right, Hearts clear second in priorities.

And being right is a slippy concept.

OP is a poster who said he would sell Shankland in August and who was saying Shankland didn't fit out system earlier in the season. Funny those comments don't feature in his recollections in the OP.

Bunny Munro

Out of 3 years at Hearts Gino played consistently well for about 6 months when he was trying to win himself a big move.

Edited by Bunny Munro

A_A wehatethehibs
29 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Sorry but no. That was 2x 6ft4 brick shithouse Eastern Europeans with touch, finesse, pace. Teams were completely overpowered. Shankland is a great goalscorer but Ginelly, good wee player but any decent defender usually dealt with him. I feel a bit sorry for the younger generation who will never see players the quality of Bednar and Jan line up for Hearts and the intimidation factor we had at that moment. 

Am glad the young team have Lawrence now who’s hit new heights as an out and out goalscorer. But there is also still levels to the game that was 2 absolute beasts. They would completely overpower teams allowing Hartley and Rudi to mop up the bloodbath absolutely wonderful to watch 

Bongo 1874
27 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

And being right is a slippy concept.

OP is a poster who said he would sell Shankland in August and who was saying Shankland didn't fit out system earlier in the season. Funny those comments don't feature in his recollections in the OP.

Not true, I said if his head was gone sell.

Saint Jambo
19 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Not true, I said if his head was gone sell.

The tricksy thing about the Internet is it is really easy to check things you've previously posted.

Here is what you said on 31st August in response to a thread about us being in trouble if Shankland was sold:

Nothing at all about "if his head is gone".  Just a simple opinion. Easier to point to other people that have made poor judgment calls than admit when you have done it aye?

Edited by Saint Jambo

Bazzas right boot

Gino taken a while to get going and it taken a change from the manager to pretty much change him from a average  wide player to a good striker. 

Shame Gino left just as he peaked.

Unsure of the point of the OP tho, Gino and Shankland won't be playing together and unfortunately there is a 50/50 chance Shankland might be sold in the summer!

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Surely not

Watt-Zeefuik

Taking a step back from this, I have to hand it to Bongo. Most of the other moaners have taken a look at our current form, thrown up their hands, and given up and gone off to find another hobby where they can be miserable.

Not Bongo. He knows deep in his heart that despite our current incredible form, somewhere out there, somewhere, there's something he can slate the club for, and he doesn't rest until he finds it and posts it on JKB. Tremendous effort. Keep reaching for the stars, buddy. Or, er, the gutters, I guess.

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Who cares, Ginnelly left.

Whisper it, so did Stendel!