Dani Alves - Jailed for Rape

Tommy Brown

Tommy Brown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68368372

A court in Spain has found former Barcelona and Brazil footballer Dani Alves guilty of raping a woman in a Barcelona nightclub.

He has been sentenced to four and a half years in prison.

The 40-year-old, who is one of the most decorated footballers in history, had denied sexually assaulting the woman in the early hours of 31 December 2022.

His lawyer had asked for his acquittal and said she would appeal against the verdict.

A lawyer for the victim welcomed the verdict, saying that it "recognises what we have always known: the truth [as told] by the victim and the suffering there has been".

As well as handing Alves a four-and-a-half year sentence, the court said he should face a further five years' probation.

The prosecution had asked for a nine-year prison sentence. In Spain, a claim of rape is investigated under the general accusation of sexual assault, and convictions can lead to prison sentences of four to 15 years.

According to Spanish media, the court took into account Alves's decision to pay the victim €150,000 (£128,500) in damages regardless of the outcome of the trial when it decided on the length of his prison term.

The court did not, however, accept the argument put forward by his lawyers that he should be given a more lenient sentence because he was drunk.

His wife Joana Sanz, 31, said he had appeared very drunk when he got back to their Barcelona home the night of the rape and had bumped into furniture before collapsing on the bed.

But the court argued that his alcohol consumption had not affected his behaviour.

Prosecutors said Alves and his friend had bought champagne for three young women before luring one of them to a VIP area of the nightclub with a toilet which she had no knowledge of.

They argued that it was at this point he turned violent, forcing the woman to have sex despite her repeated requests to leave.

Alves had maintained she could have left "if she wanted to". However, the court found that she did not consent.

Spanish law was changed recently to enshrine the importance of consent under the so-called "Only Yes is Yes" principle.

In a statement, the court said there was evidence other than the victim's testimony that proved that she had been raped.

It said Alves had "abruptly grabbed the complainant" and thrown her to the ground. He had then raped her while preventing her from moving as "the complainant said no and wanted to leave", it added.

The woman said the rape had caused her "anguish and terror", and one of her friends who was with her on the night described how the 23-year-old had cried "uncontrollably" after leaving the bathroom.

Alves has been held in pre-trial detention since January 2023 and has changed his testimony on a number of occasions.

He first denied knowing his accuser only to claim later that he had met her in the toilet but that nothing had happened between them.

He then changed his version of events again, saying that they had had consensual sex. "We were both enjoying ourselves," he alleged.

Alves played more than 400 times for Barcelona, winning six league titles and three Champions Leagues across two spells with the club. He was also part of Brazil's 2022 World Cup squad.

He has won trophies playing for Sevilla, Juventus and PSG and is among Brazil's most capped internationals, with 126 appearances.

Edited by Tommy Brown

The court did not, however, accept the argument put forward by his lawyers that he should be given a more lenient sentence because he was drunk.

Sorry for ploughing my car through the Tesco entrance and ending up in aisle 24 officer, but you see, I was drunk. 

Are they ****ing for real? 

Some disgusting comments on Twitter from idiots victim blaming. It seems to some halfwits footballers are the innocents when cases like this crop up. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Sorry for ploughing my car through the Tesco entrance and ending up in aisle 24 officer, but you see, I was drunk. 

They are, and as alcoholism is classed as a medical condition, if you were diagnosed as an alcoholic and you conducted a criminal act under the influence, it would be mitigation. 

Not in this case, but even being  a drunk dickhead is mitigation for being a criminal.

It's classed as a "partial defence."

It won't clear or absolve you, but it could reduce the sentence.

Any lawyer will chuck it in as a defence and try their luck.

BangkokHearts
28 minutes ago, tian447 said:

53 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Some disgusting comments on Twitter from idiots victim blaming. It seems to some halfwits footballers are the innocents when cases like this crop up. 

Happens every time - see what happened when Greenwood was investigated for example, even when there’s overwhelming public evidence they’ll side with the accused if it’s someone they like. It’s innocent until proven guilty in court, then if they’re legally found guilty in court the goalposts move - it’s all lies and the judge/jury were hoodwinked and the woman is a slag etc..

All it does is fuel the ego of these ***** in positions of power and influence and reinforce the belief that they’re untouchable because they’re rich and famous.

Pasquale for King

Good to see they have harsher punishments over there, not sure the small amount of compensation makes any difference really. 

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Football twitter is the worst kind of twitter.

On the same token, you've got guys sticking up for Greenwood & Thomas Partey. Weirdos.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

They are, and as alcoholism is classed as a medical condition, if you were diagnosed as an alcoholic and you conducted a criminal act under the influence, it would be mitigation. 

Not in this case, but even being  a drunk dickhead is mitigation for being a criminal.

Oh well, that will be a comfort to the lassie he held down and raped.  

But hey, he was drunk, so just a wee telling off please Your Honour. 

If he hadn't been caught, he would have done it again. 

Edited by tian447

40 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Football twitter is the worst kind of twitter.

On the same token, you've got guys sticking up for Greenwood & Thomas Partey. Weirdos.

It's an absolute cesspit because of the total dissociation from reality.  They "support" these huge teams from thousands of miles away, and you'd be lucky if they could point to the city on a map, nevermind the stadium. It's just a big game of FIFA, and it's all perpetually online, anonymous oneupsmanship that leads to these absolute cesspits where they share their ideas. 

Did you see the guy that sent death threats to Neil Maupay and his family? Created multiple accounts to do it?  Some skinny wee 19 year old ***** from Singapore who "supported" Arsenal.  Looks like he couldn't fight sleep, and yet is comfortable enough with sending death threats and acting the big man.  Guaranteed he's never seen an Arsenal game that wasn't on a screen.

It's the same with these arseholes that stick up for the sort of things you've mentioned above.  They have no baseline for reality because in their mind it's just an online fantasy world. 

Edited by tian447

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Oh well, that will be a comfort to the lassie he held down and raped.  

But hey, he was drunk, so just a wee telling off please Your Honour. 

If he hadn't been caught, he would have done it again. 

Yip, no idea why lawyer's pull it out as a defence or why it's a thing.

RustyRightPeg
44 minutes ago, tian447 said:

It's an absolute cesspit because of the total dissociation from reality.  They "support" these huge teams from thousands of miles away, and you'd be lucky if they could point to the city on a map, nevermind the stadium. It's just a big game of FIFA, and it's all perpetually online, anonymous oneupsmanship that leads to these absolute cesspits where they share their ideas. 

Did you see the guy that sent death threats to Neil Maupay and his family? Created multiple accounts to do it?  Some skinny wee 19 year old ***** from Singapore who "supported" Arsenal.  Looks like he couldn't fight sleep, and yet is comfortable enough with sending death threats and acting the big man.  Guaranteed he's never seen an Arsenal game that wasn't on a screen.

It's the same with these arseholes that stick up for the sort of things you've mentioned above.  They have no baseline for reality because in their mind it's just an online fantasy world. 

Exactly that. 

Wee freaks wouldn't say boo to a ghost in the real world.

hmfcbilly
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Truly beggars belief how blinkered sone people are in their views on this. Of course, they are entitled to their opinions, but backing a convicted rapist based on the fact (presumably) he's a famous footballer and surely wouldn't do that? Is insane. The sad thing is, his fame and money have quite possibly lead to him getting g his own way with women for years. Reading those statements, it looks like he didn't want to accept no as an answer on this occasion. Just my viewpoint of course! Either way, the fact he changed his statement several times reeks of something to hide in my eyes 

Spellczech
5 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I used to work for a drinks company and it was well-known amongst the staff that if you ever did anything that might get you in trouble then the "drink problem" card was the way to go.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I used to work for a drinks company and it was well-known amongst the staff that if you ever did anything that might get you in trouble then the "drink problem" card was the way to go.

Aye, had folk in my past work play that  excuse for being a rocket!

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

4 1/2 years, is that all. 

Yip, Mike Tyson served 3 years in jail iirc.

Rape has a pretty small sentence.

JimmyCant
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good to see they have harsher punishments over there, not sure the small amount of compensation makes any difference really. 

Harsh ? It’s excessively lenient IMO. prosecutor asked for 9 years and got half that. He’ll serve just under 3 years and I believe he won’t even go to jail until his appeals are exhausted.

PaddysBar
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Harsh ? It’s excessively lenient IMO. prosecutor asked for 9 years and got half that. He’ll serve just under 3 years and I believe he won’t even go to jail until his appeals are exhausted.

He’s been in jail for a year I think. Suppose that will count against his sentence. 

****ing horrible behaviour. Deserves a lot more jail time. 

Yeah he's been remanded for a while - I thought it was over a year already.  Don't know the Spanish legal system but if similar to ours - 4.5 years minus a year or so, 3 years left seems about what is left.

JimmyCant
32 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

He’s been in jail for a year I think. Suppose that will count against his sentence. 

****ing horrible behaviour. Deserves a lot more jail time. 

Appears he has been in jail. The Mail are speculating he could be out on special release in late July !

jambogirlglasgow
7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip, no idea why lawyer's pull it out as a defence or why it's a thing.

They don’t and it isn’t.

Not sure where you’re getting your information from but if you’re referring to Scotland, being drunk when committing an offence is an aggravating factor not a mitigating one and certainly not a defence. 

4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip, Mike Tyson served 3 years in jail iirc.

Rape has a pretty small sentence.

MikeTyson case was different.

9 minutes ago, jambogirlglasgow said:

They don’t and it isn’t.

Not sure where you’re getting your information from but if you’re referring to Scotland, being drunk when committing an offence is an aggravating factor not a mitigating one and certainly not a defence. 

Correct

Bazzas right boot
49 minutes ago, jambogirlglasgow said:

They don’t and it isn’t.

Maybe incorrect term I used but I myself have been on the end of a criminal charge for being a drunk dick in my younger days and the judge certainly mentioned me being drunk when handing  out his fine and giving a lower one than I would have had if I had been sober and acting in the same way-

It was a misdemeanour tho!

A quick Google search Clearly shows it can be a partial defence in certain crimes but not a complete defence with different types if intent classified.

It's not black and white but can be used in what I'd call mitigation, but it's complicated and above my head.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/intoxication

jambogirlglasgow
5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe incorrect term I used but I myself have been on the end of a criminal charge for being a drunk dick in my younger days and the judge certainly mentioned me being drunk when handing  out his fine and giving a lower one than I would have had if I had been sober and acting in the same way-

It was a misdemeanour tho!

A quick Google search Clearly shows it can be a partial defence in certain crimes but not a complete defence with different types if intent classified.

It's not black and white but can be used in what I'd call mitigation, but it's complicated and above my head.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/intoxication

It is black and white and not above my head!

CPS is in England. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, jambogirlglasgow said:

It is black and white and not above my head!

CPS is in England. 

https://www.studysmarter.co.uk/explanations/law/uk-criminal-law/intoxication-defence/

For doos, you can't believe anything on the tinternet nowadays!.

That shite I reaf must be all lies then and I must have imagined the judge speaking and  mentoining alcohol and fining me about £200 all these years ago. 

Maybe I was still drunk!

cosanostra
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

https://www.studysmarter.co.uk/explanations/law/uk-criminal-law/intoxication-defence/

For doos, you can't believe anything on the tinternet nowadays!.

That shite I reaf must be all lies then and I must have imagined the judge speaking and  mentoining alcohol and fining me about £200 all these years ago. 

Maybe I was still drunk!

What did you do? 🤔

Someone had to ask. 

Urinating in public is my guess. A guy I know got fined something similar for taking a piss in a bin in Glasgow Central Station. Almost got added to the sex offenders register for that one. 

OmiyaHearts

Who'd have thought such a creepy looking guy would turn out to be a total creep?

Makes you wonder how many times he's done this kind of thing and got away with it.

Ex member of the SaS

Never understood how people ( Famous ) need to resort to such disgusting behavior. He has the money and infamy to get virtually anything he wants so why the need to force himself on some poor woman.

John Findlay
28 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Never understood how people ( Famous ) need to resort to such disgusting behavior. He has the money and infamy to get virtually anything he wants so why the need to force himself on some poor woman.

Simple. He thought because who he is, he could get away with it. He was wrong.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, cosanostra said:

What did you do? 🤔

Someone had to ask. 

Urinating in public is my guess. A guy I know got fined something similar for taking a piss in a bin in Glasgow Central Station. Almost got added to the sex offenders register for that one. 

Nah, I put a brick through a police car and jumped on the bonnet. 

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

About 26 year ago, the law may have changed and I know less about Spanish law thanI do UK law!

But I remember getting  my punishment,  tbf, I think the fact I turned up helped as well, no one else getting fined seemed to turn up.

I was shitting myself!

cosanostra
19 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nah, I put a brick through a police car and jumped on the bonnet. 

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

About 26 year ago, the law may have changed and I know less about Spanish law thanI do UK law!

But I remember getting  my punishment,  tbf, I think the fact I turned up helped as well, no one else getting fined seemed to turn up.

I was shitting myself!

:rofl:

Surprised that let you off with a £200 fine. The police guys must have been raging.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

:rofl:

Surprised that let you off with a £200 fine. The police guys must have been raging.

Was 26 years ago, £200 was a lot and the guy did say It was out of character and I was under the influence. 

He also said I looked smart and well turned out before fining me.

Whole thing taken about 90 seconds, they just turbo through the offences.

Some cracking stuff iiirc.

Jim_Duncan
4 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Exactly. WTF is wrong with these people?

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Exactly. WTF is wrong with these people?

All about having and using power. 

Jim_Duncan
Just now, davemclaren said:

Bams.

Should have one of those Victorian-era locked cages put around their bits. 

132goals1958
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Really disappointed that someone you used to admire shatters the illusion. Remember he offered to provide an organ transplant to a friend who had cancer. Stood up to racism and genuinely came over as a good guy. What possessed him to ruin his and the victims life.