Weapons of Last Resort

The Mighty Thor

Japan Jambo
19 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Good point about Trump to be honest.  However even with him in the Oval Office you have got to hope that the House and the Senate would see the need to use us as a base.  Of course they will hum and haw but my thinking is you have to be hopeful because on our own we would, or could do very little.  

👍 🤞

7 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

If they get the bomb back, I know a wee shop in Lancaster that could fix it without loosing any of the data in it, they did a great job replacing the screen on my phone.

Genuine parts?

henrysmithsgloves
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Genuine parts?

I believe there is a certain poster on here is the one to see🤫🤐

th-3072696336.jpg

Dawnrazor
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Genuine parts?

Well, no, but much cheapness 👍

6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Well, no, but much cheapness 👍

I brought my Samsung to a local phone repair shop to ask about a battery replacement.  The guy gave me a cheap price, so I asked him what kind of battery he'd be using for the replacement, wondering would it be a Samsung or a brand I'd never heard of. 

He replied "a good one".  :jj_facepalm:

Edited by Ulysses

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I brought my Samsung to a local phone repair shop to ask about a battery replacement.  The guy gave me a cheap price, so I asked him what kind of battery he'd be using for the replacement, wondering would it be a Samsung or a brand I'd never heard of. 

He replied "a good one".  :jj_facepalm:

To continue this weird analogy, if I was offered a potentially Earth-ending Trident II D5 missile, at the very least I would hope it's 'a good one'. 

To (mis)quote a certain someone from a certain film:

"Mosht thingsh in here don't react too well to launchsh".

The UKs a joke, 2 ****ed aircraft carriers and a deterrent that doesn't work.

The UK needs to stop grandstanding. 

Threedoorsdown
20 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

You seen the price of rocket fuel recently 😳

3 for £100?

Jamstomorrow
14 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Nah not your grammar, I was being a tad facetious and possibly unfair - I'm not as confident as you are about the 100% reliability of the US as a dependable ally unless it massively aligns with their interests particularly if we move into another Trump term. Pretty sure they'd come to our aid but even in WW2 it took a fair amount of arm twisting to get them over the line.

It was the bombing of Pearl Harbor by the Japanese on December 7th 1941 ("A date that will live in infamy!") that brought the USA into the war, not any arm twisting by the UK.

Horatio Caine

Would be good to know the real significance of this episode. If only we had a former Royal Navy man on this forum...

Edited by Horatio Caine

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, Threedoorsdown said:

3 for £100?

😂😂 Free air freshener chucked in, let's face it, come in handy in a submarine 🤔

33 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

😂😂 Free air freshener chucked in, let's face it, come in handy in a submarine 🤔

What's long, black, and full of seamen? 

A submarine

Dawnrazor
Just now, trotter said:

A submarine

My cousin was in the Merchant Navy as an engineer, he always got a giggle when he received his "Seaman Discharge" book!!

henrysmithsgloves
35 minutes ago, trotter said:

A submarine

:facepalm:😂

Was caused by "damp", apparently. From a submarine. Which is stored in Scotland FFS!

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Was caused by "damp", apparently. From a submarine. Which is stored in Scotland FFS!

If the Chinese or Russians wouldn't mind starting WW3 in the summer that'd be really great👍

Jambof3tornado

I remember an incident with a training torpedo many years ago that was meant to aquire a target(friendly sub) but cut its run to target xxx yards from it....except this one kept running and bounced off the sub causing minimal damage,several pairs of underpants needed changing on board as they thought for a moment the torpedo was live!!!

Also remember a cock up in the gulf where live bombs were dropped safe due to an issue with arming lanyards.....positive spin was put on the incident as the target(AA gun positioned on top of a building)was destroyed with minimal collateral damage as no explosion took place, the impact of 1000lb from 10000 feet did the job.

Honestly you could write a book if it wasn't for the official secrets act!!

il Duce McTarkin
13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

My cousin was in the Merchant Navy as an engineer, he always got a giggle when he received his "Seaman Discharge" book!!

IMG-20240222-WA0012.thumb.jpg.04b3fa3d13a2085a72c0d55537d9b011.jpg

CoN8PHFW8AAa6fb.jpg

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

If the Chinese or Russians wouldn't mind starting WW3 in the summer that'd be really great👍

It would also be nice if they could make a list of their recent military failures, blunders, and white elephants publicly available so we can laugh at them too.

We've had a bit of a giggle on this thread, but it is genuinely a cause for concern. A 'test' missile is still a missile. If it was supposed to travel ~4,000km then it had approximately the same fuel load (you can't part load a solid fuel rocket - it's either fuelled or it isn't). The chances are we (the public) will never know what actually happened, but simply saying 'this wouldn't happen on a proper launch' is clearly cover-your-arse bollocks. The missile is fundamentally the same design, to the point it is has a dead weight added to ensure it weighs the same as a real one. 

highlandjambo3

During my service I spent some time in the anti tank platoon and, at the time the weapon of choice was the Milan (below) guided missile system with a 115mm missile out to a range of 1800m….it would take 12 seconds to reach max range so, the operator was driving (steering) the missile for quite some time.

Without going into too much detail, the tracker (picture: short tube thing at the top with the open cover) locates the missile on its way to the target by identifying the heat signature at the back of the missile during its entire flight.  The operator can make the missile go left/right/up/down to keep the missile on target.  

Should the tracker pick up a stronger heat source and mistakenly thinks that is the rear of the missile you get a “rouge missile” the operator looses all control.  I’ve fired a few of these and been the range conducting officer responsible for about 200 firings, I’ve only witnessed 2 rouge firings so it’s quite rare.  The Milan missile comes in at £15k per shot

Thankfully it’s impossible for the missile to turn around 😳

IMG_6033.png

Edited by highlandjambo3

Only two tests in ten years.

Both tests fail.

"Aye but they've have worked if we'd fired them in anger" is a pishy excuse.

Test launches of an operational system are not supposed to fail.

This is a huge concern considering that Nukes are the only thing that still keeps the UK armed forces relevant on the global stage.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Only two tests in ten years.

Both tests fail.

"Aye but they've have worked if we'd fired them in anger" is a pishy excuse.

Test launches of an operational system are not supposed to fail.

This is a huge concern considering that Nukes are the only thing that still keeps the UK armed forces relevant on the global stage.

They're American missiles. Bought from and serviced by the yoo ess ayy.

The equivalent of 23 billion to buy and 3 billion a year to 'service'

They fly like an anvil.

I'd be asking questions likes.