Weapons of Last Resort

The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor

So for the second time in a row the UK's seaborne nuclear deterrent failed in a test launch with the £17m non armed missile landing in the sea near the submarine it launced from.

it raises two questions;

Are the Americans ripping the utter piss out of us by selling us dud gear?

Just how tin-pot are we as a global power?

Maybe the MOD should round up the bairns of Niddrie as they appeared to have no issues getting rockets to launch last Nov 5th?

Edited by The Mighty Thor

Sooperstar

The MoD said the test had 'reaffirmed the effectiveness of the UK's nuclear deterrent' 😂. What a nation! 

Thunder and Lightning
12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So for the second time in a row the UK's seaborne nuclear deterrent failed in a test launch with the £17m non armed missile landing in the sea near the submarine it launced from.

it raises two questions;

Maybe the MOD should round up the bairns of Niddrie as they appeared to have no issues getting rockets to launch last Nov 5th?

Actually, the target was a small submersible drone parked very near the launch vehicle. 

Honest. 😂 

Americana

Always wonder why its necessary to release statements to inform the world about how much of a joke our military has become.

Jim_Duncan
25 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

it raises two questions;

Good to see you using ‘us’ and ‘we’ when talking about the UK, Thor. 😜 

Insaid years ago that if America wants gun control then its proponents should infiltrate the ammo factories, and start making them all dud. 

Maybe some CND types have done the same here. 

hughesie27

The MoD have said the missile likely would have launched correctly in a real world scenario 

Sooperstar
24 minutes ago, Americana said:

Always wonder why its necessary to release statements to inform the world about how much of a joke our military has become.

The test was in January so they'll have been trying to keep it quiet for as long as possible. 

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

The MoD have said the missile likely would have launched correctly in a real world scenario 

The best part is that Grant Shapps/Corinne Stockheath/Sebastian Fox/Michael Green was on board 😂

"we just press this button minister and then it's goodbye to the enemies of the king"...........**Whoosh** **plop**

It landed about a decent 7 iron distance from the Sub 😂

£3 billion a year for a shan astra firework. 

Japan Jambo
47 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

it raises two questions;

Feels like they are taking the piss, certainly would be looking for a rebate.

This failure is very dangerous for the whole deterrence debate imo, perhaps existential. No doubt it'll be used as a reason to accelerate the next upgrade. All feels a bit 'just buy the next version of windows' to fix the crap that didn't work as it was supposed to first go around.

Bindy Badgy

Stuff going wrong during tests isn't necessarily a bad thing. You do tests to make sure everything works correctly when you need to do it for real.

That said, the spin they're trying to put on this sounds laughable.

Victorian
14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Let's 'av a test,  aye?

Woosh,  fizzle,  plop.

Failed mate.

Barry.  Proved it works in real world scenario.  

:interehjrling:

The Mighty Thor

Worth bearing in mind this is hot on the heels of the two patrol boats crashing into each other in the Gulf and then both ships of our multi-billion pound 'Carrier Strike Force' being Donald Ducked.

Ivan and the Chinese must be absolutely shitting it. 

tightrope
40 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

The test was in January so they'll have been trying to keep it quiet for as long as possible. 

Wouldn't matter,  any power of note would be watching very closely.

The Mighty Thor
18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

"The anomaly was event specific"

Yeah this one failed.  But only 'cos it was a dud yin.  

Same batch as the 2016 one?

Amirite :tlj:

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Cade said:

Behold, the full assembled might of His Majesty's Royal Navy!

large_000000.jpg

:rofl:
Rule Britannia Blah! Blah! Blah!

AlimOzturk

If they just spun it as “this is what we do testing for” instead of all the million and one excuses nobody would probably be saying anything. 

They are their worst enemy at times. Gotta wonder who they hire as media commentators. 

The Mighty Thor
44 minutes ago, Cade said:

Behold, the full assembled might of His Majesty's Royal Navy!

large_000000.jpg

If the poor **** in the front doesn't get his head blown off he'll not be hearing anything for a long long time. 

2 hours ago, Americana said:

Double bluff?

2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Feels like they are taking the piss, certainly would be looking for a rebate.

Maybe they should have paid a bit extra for an extended product warranty.  :laugh:

Dawnrazor
18 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Maybe they should have paid a bit extra for an extended product warranty.  :laugh:

If they get the bomb back, I know a wee shop in Lancaster that could fix it without loosing any of the data in it, they did a great job replacing the screen on my phone.

joondalupjambo

The only thing we need to do is keep so far up the Yanks butts that any major world, wide conflict then they will simply come here and use the UK as staging post.  And if they do that the threat of using any nuclear deterrents would be by them anyway.   This is why it has always been right to say ban nuclear weapons in not just Scotland but UK wide. Nobody is attacking us because they know the good ole US of A will have our backs.

Bull's-eye

They tried running it on Waste Vegetable Oil during testing.

In real time they fill up with the good stuff.

Victorian
25 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

They tried running it on Waste Vegetable Oil during testing.

In real time they fill up with the good stuff.

Crisp 'n dry?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Worth bearing in mind this is hot on the heels of the two patrol boats crashing into each other in the Gulf and then both ships of our multi-billion pound 'Carrier Strike Force' being Donald Ducked.

Ivan and the Chinese must be absolutely shitting it. 

As always, thet probably just hope the US military just keep saving British arses.

4 hours ago, Americana said:

Need to get this guy in charge of MOD PR...

Clarke and Dawe

Brilliant!

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Would never have happened under John Findlay's watch

:shockio:

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

If they get the bomb back, I know a wee shop in Lancaster that could fix it without loosing any of the data in it, they did a great job replacing the screen on my phone.

How much is the lad from Lancaster blackmailing you for a month after he found the whole hard drive filled with NSFW/KB memes?

highlandjambo3

People are quick to jump in

So the media said it failed but the navy said it didn’t 🤷‍♂️.

Not ITK but, it may have just been a *launch test (ballistic fired) and it worked….enough fuel to fly for a few seconds then fizz out and drop.

Quote: “The fault had something to do with it being a TEST -firing, with a source saying that the launch would have been successful had it been carried out for real with a nuclear warhead.”

* not a flight test or target test.

Cant be arsed looking but, any quotes from our expert nuclear missile naval officers or, are the reports all from media expert nuclear missile reporters, none of whom will have witnessed this test.

Edited by highlandjambo3

been here before
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Would never have happened under John Findlay's watch

Did he have something to do with the navy?

Anyhoo, I opened this thread thinking it was perhaps about a heavy rock band.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

People are quick to jump in

So the media said it failed but the navy said it didn’t 🤷‍♂️.

Not ITK but, it may have just been a *launch test (ballistic fired) and it worked….enough fuel to fly for a few seconds then fizz out and drop.

Quote: “The fault had something to do with it being a TEST -firing, with a source saying that the launch would have been successful had it been carried out for real with a nuclear warhead.”

* not a flight test or target test.

Cant be arsed looking but, any quotes from our expert nuclear missile naval officers or, are the reports all from media expert nuclear missile reporters, none of whom will have witnessed this test.

According to the MOD the missile was meant to fly from Florida before landing at sea between West Africa and Brazil, some 3,700 miles away.

I think it was only short by 3,699miles and 1600 yards

highlandjambo3
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

According to the MOD the missile was meant to fly from Florida before landing at sea between West Africa and Brazil, some 3,700 miles away.

I think it was only short by 3,699miles and 1600 yards

Ah….facts…..that’s what I like.

Dawnrazor
22 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

How much is the lad from Lancaster blackmailing you for a month after he found the whole hard drive filled with NSFW/KB memes?

I don't know what you mean!

Bull's-eye
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Crisp 'n dry?

No, Crisp 'n' dry is Rapeseed Oil these days.

Vegetable Oil is Genetically modified Soya Bean Oil, much cheaper.

Surprised you didn't know this common known fact Victorian. You know everything else going on in the universe . . . and beyond !!

henrysmithsgloves
13 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

D4c.gif

When you realise you've had too much bevvy 🤣

highlandjambo3
28 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Footage of Grant Shapps in control.

D4c.gif

Reminds me of a scary situation long time ago in Otterburn firing an HE round out of a 51mm mortar (it wasn’t me firing btw).  The safety supervisor is supposed to check the sight on the mortar before the round is dropped down the barrel…..now the sight is like a spirit level bubble on a rotating drum….the spirit level bubble was bang on the mark however, the drum was incorrectly set for the range to the target and the firer dropped the round down the tube and pulled the firing lever……..it was only at that point everyone seen the mortar tube was pointing directly up and that’s the direction the bomb flew…..straight up😳

Which way to run FFS…..we had about 12 seconds before the round landed again…..instinct was to run like fk away from the target for about 8 seconds then deck it……fortunately the mortar round detonated about 100m away…..that corporal ended up bust.

Victorian
50 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

No, Crisp 'n' dry is Rapeseed Oil these days.

Vegetable Oil is Genetically modified Soya Bean Oil, much cheaper.

Surprised you didn't know this common known fact Victorian. You know everything else going on in the universe . . . and beyond !!

You're the waste oil expert Fudduffman.

Bull's-eye
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You're the waste oil expert Fudduffman.

Ken.

I punted thousands of Litres to the MoD for missile testing.

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

The only thing we need to do is keep so far up the Yanks butts that any major world, wide conflict then they will simply come here and use the UK as staging post.  And if they do that the threat of using any nuclear deterrents would be by them anyway.   This is why it has always been right to say ban nuclear weapons in not just Scotland but UK wide. Nobody is attacking us because they know the good ole US of A will have our backs.

:notsure:

joondalupjambo
33 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

:notsure:

Ah probably my grammar. If there was a major conflict, which is hopefully highly unlikely nobody would be attacking us(the UK) with nukes, or anything really serious  if we have USA behind us.  The USA would have our backs, do I what is needed military wise and press all the buttons needed if necessary.  The UK is a bit of a failed nation in the International stage now but we cannot admit it.  We need the USA as the big friendly giant hence why we suck up to them.  No need for us to have nuclear weapons in my view in the UK, waste of time and money.  Obviously there is another side to the arguement which I understand.

il Duce McTarkin
6 hours ago, tightrope said:

Wouldn't matter,  any power of note would be watching very closely.

Exactly. Any power of note will have been notified of the test well in advance, as is customary.

Japan Jambo
57 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Ah probably my grammar. If there was a major conflict, which is hopefully highly unlikely nobody would be attacking us(the UK) with nukes, or anything really serious  if we have USA behind us.  The USA would have our backs, do I what is needed military wise and press all the buttons needed if necessary.  The UK is a bit of a failed nation in the International stage now but we cannot admit it.  We need the USA as the big friendly giant hence why we suck up to them.  No need for us to have nuclear weapons in my view in the UK, waste of time and money.  Obviously there is another side to the arguement which I understand.

Nah not your grammar, I was being a tad facetious and possibly unfair - I'm not as confident as you are about the 100% reliability of the US as a dependable ally unless it massively aligns with their interests particularly if we move into another Trump term. Pretty sure they'd come to our aid but even in WW2 it took a fair amount of arm twisting to get them over the line.

joondalupjambo
31 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Nah not your grammar, I was being a tad facetious and possibly unfair - I'm not as confident as you are about the 100% reliability of the US as a dependable ally unless it massively aligns with their interests particularly if we move into another Trump term. Pretty sure they'd come to our aid but even in WW2 it took a fair amount of arm twisting to get them over the line.

Good point about Trump to be honest.  However even with him in the Oval Office you have got to hope that the House and the Senate would see the need to use us as a base.  Of course they will hum and haw but my thinking is you have to be hopeful because on our own we would, or could do very little.