Boyce and McKay

comradejambo

comradejambo

Any updates on their progress? Been doing so well over the last few weeks that we have coped well in their absence. That being said would be good to have increased options as we enter the latter stages of the season.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• Thunder and Lightning

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Amazing really, we have done without both of them and largely Halkett. Certainly Boyce now a squad man, Halkett may end up that way, McKay though could have a big part play to yet, he has a fight though, Forrest and Vargas have stepped up big time, Oda still has the odd cameo

jambo mark

I don’t think any come back and nail down a first team place, and that’s credit to everyone else stepping up.

They will all be a massive part of the squad game though, and give us a lot more strength in depth and options from the bench to be match winners 

johnking123

Mckay will be good for the stubborn teams at tynecastle.  His passing can really open teams up.

Robbo-Jambo
31 minutes ago, comradejambo said:

Any updates on their progress? Been doing so well over the last few weeks that we have coped well in their absence. That being said would be good to have increased options as we enter the latter stages of the season.

Think Naismith said McKay back training on grass this week but Boyce out another couple of months. IIRC.

4 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

I don’t think any come back and nail down a first team place, and that’s credit to everyone else stepping up.

They will all be a massive part of the squad game though, and give us a lot more strength in depth and options from the bench to be match winners 

Good post. For about as long as I can remember when we’ve had to play ‘fringe’ players they’ve largely struggled to step up. Huge credit to Naisy for the big change that’s seen players competing for their place. 

Boyce I love to bits but I don't see him playing too much of a role any more

Halks will probably just pick off where he left off, coming in here & there

McKay could play a massive role yet, he gives us a different dynamic to Forrest/Vargas/Oda, teams know they have to mark him or he can really hurt them with his passing quality and that opens up space for others to exploit

N Lincs Jambo
26 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Amazing really, we have done without both of them and largely Halkett. Certainly Boyce now a squad man, Halkett may end up that way, McKay though could have a big part play to yet, he has a fight though, Forrest and Vargas have stepped up big time, Oda still has the odd cameo

I thought Oda did very well when he came on last Saturday. Possibly his best performance for us yet. Vargas has been amazing lately now he's growing in confidence. Forrest keeps on trying even when things aren't working for him. Can't see McKay taking a starting place from any of those three just now. Agree Boyce now a squad man and not sure about Halkett with his recurring injuries.

Benny Klack

Sadly I don’t see either ever coming back and nailing down a starting berth.

Both too injury prone to cement a regular place. Sad but true. 

Dallas Green

I think McKay has a role to play from the start of games. His passing could help us break teams down that sit 11 men behind the ball at Tynecastle. Then the pace of Vargas / Forrest / Oda in the second half / 60 mins onwards to batter them silly.

I could even see Tagawa getting on the end of some of McKay's passes. He makes the runs.

Edited by Dallas Green

AlimOzturk

Still think all three have a part to play with the squad. Next season will be the defining one for McKay and Halkett. Both are at stages in their careers when they should be hitting their

It will surely be Boyce last with us. His past injuries and age are all starting to go against him although his recent return he was more than useful to the squad. I think he plays a part next year. 

Hopefully, all three can remain healthy and contribute big time. 

HopeDiouf

Boyce was done a while ago.  Halkett we'll see after pre-season whether he can still play at this level or not.  McKay will be in the mix with Forrest, Vargas, Oda for the wide roles and offers a slightly different option.

Byyy The Light

The type of guys that we need to have in the squad.  I'm all for continuity rather than constant turnover so if these guys become the squad fillers then we are on the right path.

Cambo_Jambo

I think McKay will do well in this team now there's a lot more dynamism about it. With some of the speedier guys looking to make runs in behind (rejuvenated Forrest, Oda, Vargas) if they are willing to keep the work rate up, he'll be very happy to find them. If anything, it gives us another option if Shankland isn't available. Effectively moving the focal point of attack backwards from being off the 9 and deeper, looking to split the defence.

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Boyce was done a while ago.  Halkett we'll see after pre-season whether he can still play at this level or not.  McKay will be in the mix with Forrest, Vargas, Oda for the wide roles and offers a slightly different option.

Don’t think we’ll get much change out of Boyce now……..hope I’m wrong.

karipidis

I like Boyce, but unfortunately the team is so unbalanced when him and Shankland play together. 

Lovecraft

Opened this thread hoping we had built one player from the bits of the other two.

😔

Probably still only get 15 games a season from the hybrid anyway.

Edited by Lovecraft

FarmerTweedy
55 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Mckay will be good for the stubborn teams at tynecastle.  His passing can really open teams up.

Yep, I think a fit Barrie Mckay would be very useful, particularly in the first half of games, like Saturday against Motherwell before we unleashed the speed merchants in the second half! 

jamboinglasgow
44 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Sadly I don’t see either ever coming back and nailing down a starting berth.

Both too injury prone to cement a regular place. Sad but true. 

Disagree on McKay. He has had a bad season for injuries, but the previous two seasons he played almost every game for us.

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Yep, I think a fit Barrie Mckay would be very useful, particularly in the first half of games, like Saturday against Motherwell before we unleashed the speed merchants in the second half! 

Agreed, but he could be even more effective in the second half when there is more space / tired legs.  We were definitely missing him earlier in the season. 

FarmerTweedy
6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Agreed, but he could be even more effective in the second half when there is more space / tired legs.  We were definitely missing him earlier in the season. 

Very true! I guess I'm just looking at how recent games have tended to go, where we've struggled to open up teams in the first half, and his quality of passing could help us to do that more. He could absolutely make a 2nd half impact too, although at the moment we're managing OK there.  That could obviously change though, so it's good to potentially have that additional option available soon!

King Of The Cat Cafe

Boyce is a useful card to have in the deck for European games.

The pace may have gone, but he has a useful brain for creating chances for others.

stevie1874

Mackay if he can get over his injury woes will be like a new signing although at the moment he’ll need to earn his place as our first eleven are making it hard to force a way back in but on his day is a quality player in this league. Boyce on the other hand looking at our bench with the emergence of young players Tait, Denholm & possibly Pollock moving forward will be lucky to make the bench if everyone fit. 

Bazzas right boot

Mckay will work well and add to us, the space he'll create by simply being on the pitch will give the other attackers more space as well as as what he creates himself. 

Boyce also a good option.

Gundermann
17 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Boyce is a useful card to have in the deck for European games.

The pace may have gone, but he has a useful brain for creating chances for others.

Agree. Here's hoping he returns. Maybe a pre-season would be better for him to regain full match-fitness or else a handful of fixtures at the end of the season once third place is all sewn up.

McKay coming back and us having Forrest , Dhanda and Oda gives off a sort of Driver , Suso , Temps and Novi vibe . Vargas too but I think of him more as a striker really 

RustyRightPeg

McKay's creativity and assists the season before last were just as important as Shankland's goals have been the last 18 months. 

Folk seem to forget how good he was that first season. 

A fit and firing McKay plays in this team, easily.

HopeDiouf
8 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Agree. Here's hoping he returns. Maybe a pre-season would be better for him to regain full match-fitness or else a handful of fixtures at the end of the season once third place is all sewn up.

Personally, I hope we are in a better place where we don't need to rely on dragging Boyce back onto the pitch in the future.

Barrie McKay is an excellent player and I can't wait until he's fully fit and on form.

Sorry if missed any reply stating it, but do we have update on timescales for either or both? Would love Baz back especially, tho having Boycie on the bench to help close out a tight game is brilliant too.

HopeDiouf
Just now, TheBigO said:

Sorry if missed any reply stating it, but do we have update on timescales for either or both? Would love Baz back especially, tho having Boycie on the bench to help close out a tight game is brilliant too.

McKay's back training on grass.  Boyce needed an op our for 2 months at least.

CloustonHMFC

There's about as much chance as me running out in the starting 11 for Hearts than there is of Boyce becoming regular again for any team.

McKay has real value in the rotation.

I still think Halkett after a healthy offseason could enter next season a top defender in the country outside Glasgow. I've always liked him, always believed him, and I refuse to sell my stock even understanding walking out for warmups on a low quality pitching next season could see his legs explode.

Not certain Boyce's future.

Barrie Mackay playing in the team we have now is a different player from the one he played in last season or the beginning of this. He is the missing piece of the jigsaw and his creativity will bring out the best in the likes of Forrest, Vargas, Oda and Shankland. He sees and picks out passes that no one else sees, and I also think Tagawa would benefit from Barrie playing. 

I think this will be Boycies last season with us, but a fit Boyce would get a start in most other Scottish teams out with the arse cheeks. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

we're so much more dynamic with vargas and forrest compared to the likes of boyce and mckay, due to their movement and off the ball work. Think for LB and BM, they have a future here but Vargas, Forrest and Oda are the guys who are gonna take us to the next level if they keep improving at the rate they have been.

kingantti1874
46 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

There's about as much chance as me running out in the starting 11 for Hearts than there is of Boyce becoming regular again for any team.

I think he’d be a regular starter for a lot of teams in the league.  Probably with the exception of aberdeen

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

we're so much more dynamic with vargas and forrest compared to the likes of boyce and mckay, due to their movement and off the ball work. Think for LB and BM, they have a future here but Vargas, Forrest and Oda are the guys who are gonna take us to the next level if they keep improving at the rate they have been.

Tbf, The team with  Boyce and Mckay scored a lot of goals, but I do not think Shankland and Boyce work as a pair. 

With 5 subs now, it really is a squad game and you need 15-20 good players, not just 11 with different options preferable.

Both them coming back is  good thing, and Mckay really boosts us.

Boyce is a bit part player at best.

Experienced and has some nice touches but lacks an end product and slows things down too much. 

I don't think the odd moment of magic gives him any claim to a place in the team. 

A fully fit McKay is quality and his ability to pick the ball up in tight areas, find space and run at defences is something we do miss. Again his end product can be patchy but he's someone who will make things happen against teams who park the bus. 

McKay's assists will ensure he gets the most game time of anyone coming back. He might begin as a sub but he will show us why we value him. As someone else said, stubborn teams that park the bus will be perfect for McKay to make a come back against.

jambo mark
3 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Boyce I love to bits but I don't see him playing too much of a role any more

Halks will probably just pick off where he left off, coming in here & there

McKay could play a massive role yet, he gives us a different dynamic to Forrest/Vargas/Oda, teams know they have to mark him or he can really hurt them with his passing quality and that opens up space for others to exploit

This is what I also mean to put in my post. 

I think Boyce and McKay have different skills sets and offer us something we don’t have elsewhere. There will be a time and place for both.

McKays has real craft and guile which I think the other lack (at the moment). His eye for a pass will unlock some tight games, especially if he has willing runners around him. 

I know people bemoan boyces lack of pace and movement, but he’s an intelligent footballer. He’s the only one of the attacking bunch that can hold the ball up to get us up pitch when we’re pinned in. Him being able to do that frees up shankland from that role. 

I don’t think we’ve seen McKay and Vargas on the pitch at the same time. That’s a combination I’d be excited to see

kingantti1874
Just now, BigAlim said:

I don’t think we’ve seen McKay and Vargas on the pitch at the same time. That’s a combination I’d be excited to see

+ Dhanda. 

We’ve got a hard working, well balanced determined team that’s developed over the months.

It’s a squad game and if we get injuries(fingers crossed we don’t ) players losing form etc…..they may have a part to play later in the season.  I wouldn’t be rushing them back in though.  

I don’t see the overwhelming value they have over anyone else. 

3 hours ago, Carter said:

McKay will continue to be a big player for us. 

Ye agree - has his ups and downs but definitely offers something different and has moments of magic 

This is My Story Podcast

Both can and will still play big parts for us. Am really looking forward to seeing if Naisy can get the best out McKay. He is undoubtedly one of the best players in the league when he’s fit and at it. Another player on the park to occupy minds and have teams second guessing what he’ll do next. Boyce is a class player as well, he’ll slot back in and contribute when he’s fit, I have no worries about that. 

All three excellent, experienced players and a big miss when they are out of the squad. Really hoping that McKay is over his injury problems because he can play a big part in the final part of the season. Likewise, fingers crossed that Halkett doesn’t have another long absence. Not sure Boyce will play again this season, he’s had terrible luck with injuries.