• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hansel

• The Real Maroonblood

• ArcticJambo

• Gundermann

Imagine having a squad / subs you had full confidence in to ensure you never lose. Unbelievable mentality throughout that club right now.

VALDOS'
5 minutes ago, Hansel said:

The Kusen be cruisin 🛳  in Rome

Any idea what happens to the winners champions league slot if Leverkusen do win it? Having obviously already qualified viat the league 

Mikey1874
19 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Any idea what happens to the winners champions league slot if Leverkusen do win it? Having obviously already qualified viat the league 

What UEFA say

Under the 2024-27 club competition format, if the Europa League winners qualify directly for the league phase of the Champions League via their domestic league, then the club with the best individual coefficient of all the teams in Champions League qualifying (champions path and league path) goes directly through to the league phase.

However, no leapfrogging is permitted here, meaning a team from the league path can only move up to the league phase provided that this club is the highest ranked domestically of those from its association that have not already qualified for the league phase of the competition directly. If this is not the case, the automatic league phase place goes to the club with the next best coefficient.

The Real Maroonblood

There is no stopping them.

Day@theraces

Assume that's them achieved Benfica's record 48 game unbeaten run which was 60 years ago. 1 more game and they will hold a record which may never be beaten 

Carter

Staggering performance from Bayer Leverkusen. Hard to see them being stopped from a treble. 

Hansel

Looking like they're going to lose their unbeaten record tonight vs Roma

By The Light..

does that trump Falkirk this season 😁

Day@theraces

TBF the game should have been done at half time but such is football.

BackOfTheNet

Outrageous team… they did it with the last kick, but even though Roma needed the goal, Leverkusen had 4/5 clear cut chances in the final minutes too. Incredible.

Incredible effort, belief and resilience.

How many comebacks is that for them this year?
Outrageous.

Talk about never say die(!)

leginten

Just incredible. You would have thought at 0-2 down after 80 minutes against a decent Italian team, there was no chance. Four games left to achieve a season as perfect as it’s conceivable any team could ever have.

brownkg

Amazing that 2 nights in  row the goalie has changed the mindset of the team that was in front

LarrysRightFoot

Unbelievable. Literally unbelievable. 

Lambert Simnel

Amazing end to the game tonight. Was not prepared for that.

As an aside, I had a look back at the UEFA Cup Leverkusen won in 87/88. Some great wins there, including beating Barca (OK, before Barca were what they later became). Best of all, though, is the first round draw, which had Aberdeen and Dundee Untied having to face the Irish giants of Bohemians and Coleraine (respectively), while Celtic got drawn against Borussia Dortmund. Ho ho ho.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Screenshot_20240509_221515_Facebook.jpg

👍

geomac
3 minutes ago, Lambert Simnel said:

Amazing end to the game tonight. Was not prepared for that.

As an aside, I had a look back at the UEFA Cup Leverkusen won in 87/88. Some great wins there, including beating Barca (OK, before Barca were what they later became). Best of all, though, is the first round draw, which had Aberdeen and Dundee Untied having to face the Irish giants of Bohemians and Coleraine (respectively), while Celtic got drawn against Borussia Dortmund. Ho ho ho.

Genuinely uplifted by their last few games, inspiring, hope Alonso stays for at least a couple of years before the money takes him away.

Mikey1874
52 minutes ago, Cade said:

How many comebacks is that for them this year?
Outrageous.

Talk about never say die(!)

From the BBC

Bayer Leverkusen have scored 17 goals in the 90th minute or later (excluding extra time), the joint-most of any side across Europe’s top five leagues, along with Liverpool.

Arthur Morgan

I love this team 😍

Hoping to go to a home game one day. 

Watt-Zeefuik
16 hours ago, Hansel said:

Screenshot_20240509_221515_Facebook.jpg

I'm totally confused about this "longest unbeaten run" stuff. I was sure we ended a longer Celtic streak and I was right, that stopped at 56 in the Harry Cochrane/Posnan game.

This tweet said Benfica held the record, but this thing from UEFA says Benfica had a longer streak themselves at 56. https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/0253-0d7db9782def-52df73863f70-1000--longest-unbeaten-runs-in-european-league-football/

In top division football across the continent, Steaua Bucureşti have the record at 104.

Best in the Big 5 seems more believable but AC Milan had a streak of 58.

What am I missing here? It can't have been 49 matches in UEFA competitions, can it?

LarrysRightFoot
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I'm totally confused about this "longest unbeaten run" stuff. I was sure we ended a longer Celtic streak and I was right, that stopped at 56 in the Harry Cochrane/Posnan game.

This tweet said Benfica held the record, but this thing from UEFA says Benfica had a longer streak themselves at 56. https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/0253-0d7db9782def-52df73863f70-1000--longest-unbeaten-runs-in-european-league-football/

In top division football across the continent, Steaua Bucureşti have the record at 104.

What am I missing here? It can't have been 49 matches in UEFA competitions, can it?

In commentary last night they said Celtic went something like 60 matches unbeaten (can’t remember the exact number) in the 1920s or 30s but Leverkusen’s was a modern record (I.e including Europe). 

We ended Celtic’s domestic unbeaten run in the game you refer to but they’d lost in Europe during that time. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

In commentary last night they said Celtic went something like 60 matches unbeaten (can’t remember the exact number) in the 1920s or 30s but Leverkusen’s was a modern record (I.e including Europe). 

We ended Celtic’s domestic unbeaten run in the game you refer to but they’d lost in Europe during that time. 

Ah, right, I guess those were domestic victories.

milky_26
2 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

the record is in all competitions. those other ones you've posted i think are just domestic games

Malinga the Swinga

Only reason they equalised last night was Roma needed a goal and had everyone piled up front. It's been a fantastic run but this jerk circle needs to stop

9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Only reason they equalised last night was Roma needed a goal and had everyone piled up front. It's been a fantastic run but this jerk circle needs to stop

Honestly, I love to get behind the underdogs. Football in the modern era is so stale with the same teams winning the same cups over and over again. I think its superb that Alonso has been able to deliver Leverkusen their day in the sun. 

Also absolutely comical that Harry Kane can score 40 odd goals and STILL not have a cup to him name :lol: 

Arthur Morgan
16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's an incredible achievement though, and the amount of times Leverkusen have scored in 90+ mins this season is not a coincidence. 

Bull's-eye

We need a Dortmund and an Atalanta Cup double win.

Its possible that this scenario fires us straight into the Europa League proper stage.

Arthur Morgan
4 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Its possible that this scenario fires us straight into the Europa League proper stage.

I'll probably get abuse for this, but I still want Leverkusen to win 😅

Bull's-eye
5 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I'll probably get abuse for this, but I still want Leverkusen to win 😅

Then you will obviously deserve all the abuse headed your way 😜

Watt-Zeefuik
19 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I realize it's more money but we'd actually be competitive in the Conference League stage and have a shot at the knockout round.

Not fussed either way, beyond our control so no sense worrying about it.

Bull's-eye
1 minute ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I realize it's more money but we'd actually be competitive in the Conference League stage and have a shot at the knockout round.

Not fussed either way, beyond our control so no sense worrying about it.

Worried  :rofl:

From a purely selfish point of view l want us in neither Euro Competition. Thursday & Sunday football is an absolute ball ache for me.

48 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Heading for 50 undefeated.

Aided by a stupid early red for Bochum defender

0-2 up & cruising

5-0 full time. Only 1 league game and then 2 Cup finals to go. 

You wouldn't bet against them going undefeated at this stage.