Most underrated actor/actress

Professor.Arturo

Professor.Arturo

Who do you think?

Well I'll start. Leonardo DiCaprio, I have not seen him play a bad role yet, but he never seems to get the accolades he deserves, some of his films, all corkers as well.

Titanic

Gangs of New York

Blood Diamond

The Aviator

The Departed

Catch me if you can (a particular favourite with Tom Hanks)

Over to you :)

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Michael Sheen. The guy that played Tony Blair in The Queen and is about to play Brian Clough in The Damned United. He has a tendancy to play real characters and seems to carry it off perfectly. Seen a couple of clips of him playing Clough and its frightening how close he gets to him. Not only his voice but his manerisms as well.

Commander Harris
Who do you think?

Well I'll start. Leonardo DiCaprio, I have not seen him play a bad role yet, but he never seems to get the accolades he deserves, some of his films, all corkers as well.

Titanic

Gangs of New York

Blood Diamond

The Aviator

The Departed

when I saw the thread title I was going to post DiCaprio. Finest actor of his generation and constantly dismissed as just a pretty boy.

Templeton Peck
Michael Sheen. The guy that played Tony Blair in The Queen and is about to play Brian Clough in The Damned United. He has a tendancy to play real characters and seems to carry it off perfectly. Seen a couple of clips of him playing Clough and its frightening how close he gets to him. Not only his voice but his manerisms as well.

Played Tony Blair twice. Also Kenneth Williams and in a film coming up, David Frost during his interviews with Richard Nixon. That is quite a mix

Played Tony Blair twice. Also Kenneth Williams and in a film coming up, David Frost during his interviews with Richard Nixon. That is quite a mix

I saw your name as the last poster on this thread and felt sure that Dirk Benedict would be your shout!:)

Underrated actor is a tough one, there are those that are considered at the top that get praise all the time and there are those that are cult figures.

After a quick look at my DVD's, Vincent Cassel, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ryan Gosling stick out.

I could also add Clooney as he is often slagged yet I have seen him act very well, similarly Carrey and Kilmer.

Talking about TV, anybody that has been in the West Wing. IMO the finest tv show of all time, most particularly Alison Janney who plays the finest female role in tv history; again IMO.

Ryan Gosling
when I saw the thread title I was going to post DiCaprio. Finest actor of his generation and constantly dismissed as just a pretty boy.

He's almost the opposite of Edward Norton.

DiCaprio is seen as a pretty boy face, who will only star in big blockbusters lacking depth, whereas Norton is seen as the perfect 'actor' who can actually carry a big film like the Hulk.

I'd like to add Casey Affleck and George Clooney too.

Actress = Amy Adams.

DiCaprio is seen as a pretty boy face, who will only star in big blockbusters lacking depth, whereas Norton is seen as the perfect 'actor' who can actually carry a big film like the Hulk.

Actress = Amy Adams.

Ed Norton is often labelled as some sort of independent film hero yet he himself concedes all his acting roles have been by majors. Good actor that has been in a lot of rubbish films IMO.

I have not seen enough of Casey Affleck but I am interested to see his latest. I agree with you re Dode! :)

Professor.Arturo

Actress = Amy Adams.

Got to agree with you about Edward Norton, 'The Illusionist' is one of my fav movies.

As for DiCaprio only appearing in movies without depth.....I think your being a tad unfair, yes he does seem to get big blockbusters, but Blood Diamond (you could actually believe he's Rhodesian in it) and Gangs of New York are hardly 'shallow' films.

Ryan Gosling

To be fair a lot of Norton's films have gained such a following, they've become big, like Primal Fear, The People vs Larry Flynt, the outstanding American History X and that wee indie that no one saw, Fight Club.

His one directorial effort, Keeping the Faith, is also as good and 'classic' a rom-com as you'll find

Ryan Gosling
Got to agree with you about Edward Norton, 'The Illusionist' is one of my fav movies.

As for DiCaprio only appearing in movies without depth.....I think your being a tad unfair, yes he does seem to get big blockbusters, but Blood Diamond (you could actually believe he's Rhodesian in it) and Gangs of New York are hardly 'shallow' films.

I said he's seen as that. I don't agree at all with it.

I can't wait to see him and Pitt in Inglorious B?stards.

Commander Harris
To be fair a lot of Norton's films have gained such a following, they've become big, like Primal Fear, The People vs Larry Flynt, the outstanding American History X and that wee indie that no one saw, Fight Club.

His one directorial effort, Keeping the Faith, is also as good and 'classic' a rom-com as you'll find

fight club is one of my favourite films, norton is pretty good in it. He's excellent in american history X too.

Keeping the faiths a really good laugh. :)

American History X, Fight Club, 25th Hour and The Score were excellent performances by Norton.

I just remembered, can I add in Benicio Del Toro, his performance in 21 Grams was astonishingly good.

jamboinglasgow

I have a few, agree with Caprio and Michael Sheen (want to see the frost/nixon movie.)

But a few I would add are Donnie F***** Walhburg (an injoke I have with a friend) who I think can play characters well and if you have ever see Band of Brothers you will understand, playing Lipton.

Also another band of Brothers actor is Damien Lewis, think its a shame he doesn't get enough movies as he is great in that series.

and the final one is Aaron Eckhart (harvey dent in the new batman movie) I dont he gets enough credit. If you have ever seen a film called "Thank you for smoking" it really shows him as a great actor.

Who do you think?

Titanic

Gangs of New York

Blood Diamond

The Aviator

The Departed

I agree that DiCaprio is a superb actor, but I'm slightly puzzled by your classification of him as underrated. How many Oscar, BAFTA or Golden Globe nominations would he need for you to consider him getting recognition?

For an underrated actor, step forward Dennis Franz. The man is a genius, and made NYPD Blue the best TV programme of all time. However, I am probably contradicting myself here, as he too has been recognised by the industry and has picked up quite a few Emmys.

Who do you think?

Titanic

Gangs of New York

Blood Diamond

The Aviator

The Departed

i'll give you the other ones, but he was **** in titanic..

Bindy Badgy

I think Norton is excellent.

I don't think he can be classed as underrated though as everyone seems to think he is good.

i'll give you the other ones, but he was **** in titanic..

His character may not have been great or well-developed but I don't think you can blame that on DiCaprio.

I P Knightley

There's one underrated actor!!

Who could forget the almost genuine tears of grief during the "Princess of Hearts" speech?

And the "Education, Education, Education" one was almost enough to convince an entire nation... whoops, it did you tell me?

So laydeezrngenrlmnnn, givvirrupfer Anthoney J P Blair!!!

Commander Harris
One out of left field -

Dwayne Johnson.

in what do you think he has shown his acting ability?

Say What Again
I'd like to add Casey Affleck

I thought Casey Affleck played a good part in Gone Baby Gone.

I agree totally, he is a brilliant actor. His Kenneth Williams was amazing as well. Just finished reading The Damned United so I can't wait to see him as Clough.

However, he does also play the main bad guy in the two Underworld films, which are a bit gash. The films that is, not him.

Commander Harris
Southland Tales and Be Cool.

:D

haven't seen either so I'll have to take your word. :)

jamboinglasgow

believe it or not, one of the actors in the Queen is called none other than John McGlynn (its her scottish Ghillie,) I know Raith dont pay much but surely he didn't need to act to get extra money.

this_is_my_story

Sean Penn. Brilliant performance in Carlito's Way, in which I thought he stole the show. Admittedly though, the film hardly had what you'd call an 'All-Star' cast other than Penn and Pacino.

Sean Penn. Brilliant performance in Carlito's Way, in which I thought he stole the show. Admittedly though, the film hardly had what you'd call an 'All-Star' cast other than Penn and Pacino.

There were actually a few other damn good actors in that superb film: Viggo Mortensen, John Leguizamo and Luis Guzman.

Commander Harris

Sandra Bullock rocks! She does do a lot of mince films though.

this_is_my_story
There were actually a few other damn good actors in that superb film: Viggo Mortensen, John Leguizamo and Luis Guzman.

Very fair point, but I couldn't help but find something comical about Guzman as Pachanga in the film!

Ryan Gosling
Sandra Bullock rocks! She does do a lot of mince films though.

She's a very gifted comedic actress.

Jennifer Aniston doesn't get enough praise for me.

Who do you think?

Titanic

Gangs of New York

Blood Diamond

The Aviator

The Departed

The Basketball Diaries and This Boy's Life are prob that guys finest moments

Guy Pearce , the guy from 'Neighbours' who starred in LA Confidential. Outstanding performance.

He also played a lead role in a film about a guy whose family had been wiped out and was suffering from memory loss. He wrote everything he had to remember on his body while he went about reconstructing what had happened so he could get revenge.. Great performance again from the man.

Guy Pearce , the guy from 'Neighbours' who starred in LA Confidential. Outstanding performance.

He also played a lead role in a film about a guy whose family had been wiped out and was suffering from memory loss. He wrote everything he had to remember on his body while he went about reconstructing what had happened so he could get revenge.. Great performance again from the man.

Memento, mental but great film. I agree with Guy Pearce.

Mark Wahlberg has done ok for being a peshy rapper wannabe too

Ryan Gosling
The Basketball Diaries and This Boy's Life are prob that guys finest moments

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Robert Downey Jnr for me

Despite all his problems, you just have to watch Chaplin to recognise the man's genius

vlad on the tyne

neil buchanan

some of his performances on art attack were blooming marvellous

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Bruce Dern.

Totally overlooked and undervalued.

Far superior to Fonda and Voight in "Coming Home", was more believable as a character and wiped both of the screen. They both got Oscars, he did not.

Also brilliant in "Silent Running" and countless villainous roles.

Eric Bana: Chopper, Black Hawk Down, Hulk (not his fault it was ****) and Munich among his more known roles.

Ed Burns. Mostly stars in his own films but has been in Saving Private Ryan and Confidence alongside top actors like Hanks, Sizemore and Hoffman and held his own.

jambos are go!

Brad Pitt- another dismissed as a pretty boy who dominates the screen. Judy Garland much more than a singer. Adam Faith much better actor than singer(would not be hard though).

Memento - excellent film, if bloody confusing. :)

Pearce was superb in it.

Jeff Bridges.

dunno how underrated people might think he is, but he`s one of my favorite actors. The Big Lebowski is without doubt one of the best films of the las 20 years, even Arlington Road with Tim Robbins (another high quality turn), or even back to Thunderbolt and Lightfoot with Clint Eastwood.

How about Steve Buscemi, or John Turturro? both actors that never seem to be leading men but always excel in supporting roles, realy add meat when in a cast.

Ivanauskas33
I saw your name as the last poster on this thread and felt sure that Dirk Benedict would be your shout!:)

Underrated actor is a tough one, there are those that are considered at the top that get praise all the time and there are those that are cult figures.

After a quick look at my DVD's, Vincent Cassel, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ryan Gosling stick out.

I could also add Clooney as he is often slagged yet I have seen him act very well, similarly Carrey and Kilmer.

Talking about TV, anybody that has been in the West Wing. IMO the finest tv show of all time, most particularly Alison Janney who plays the finest female role in tv history; again IMO.

Have to agree with that. I also liked Bradley Whitford in Studio 60 (one of Aaron Sorkins other shows).

Archived