Sir Chris hoy (n.h.c)

Selkirkhmfc1874

Selkirkhmfc1874

Revealed he's getting treatment for cancer , wish fellow jambo a full and speedy recovery 

Roxy Hearts

That disease! Hope our great Olympian, fellow Hearts fan does to it what he did to competitors. All the best Sir Chris Hoy.

Wish Sir Chris Hoy a quick recovery brilliant ambassador for Scotland.

Edited by steve123

Makes you angry when you read he's been forced to reveal this when it should be something he goes through privately with his family.

😡

upgotheheads

As a fellow sufferer I wish to say three things: first best wishes whatever your cancer; second, don't despair, cancer is so much more treatable these days, especially if caught early;  last, guys get your PSA levels checked, and insist on it even if your doc says it's not necessary.

Armageddon

Firstly, get well soon Sir Chris, what an athlete and inspiration.

The chat about his hand being forced, why are we not taking action against this behaviour?  Society is letting this happen, the media receiving gossip and then leaving people with little opportunity, I hope he reveals what’s happened and the public take action.

If The Sun are behind this then I’d hope Scotland would look after our own, one of our own, and hound them out.

upgotheheads
8 minutes ago, Cameronstheman said:

Just read the heart breaking news, go on smash the evil Chris 

This is not the attitude.

upgotheheads
Just now, Cameronstheman said:

Why would that be ??

Sorry. I know something about these things and will not engage with you.

Cameronstheman
1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Sorry. I know something about these things and will not engage with you.

Well why post without expecting a reply, should have said prior 

All the best i may add 

Selkirkhmfc1874
11 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

As a fellow sufferer I wish to say three things: first best wishes whatever your cancer; second, don't despair, cancer is so much more treatable these days, especially if caught early;  last, guys get your PSA levels checked, and insist on it even if your doc says it's not necessary.

Wish you a full and speedy recovery buddy

Gorgierools

Makes you wonder, an absolute machine who has spent his entire life fine tuning his body. Been in controlled diets for years etc etc, then this ******* hits him. What chance do us slobs have? All the best Chris.

Borders Jambo
49 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Wish you a full and speedy recovery buddy

Seconded and also Sir Chris Hoy.

Disgusting media again.

Shooter McGavin

You don’t win 6 Olympic gold medals without having an absolutely granite mindset and willing to fight like ****.

Wish him all the best!

Shocked to read that.

All the best to Sir Chris and his family and friends at this time.

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, Borders Jambo said:

Seconded and also Sir Chris Hoy.

Disgusting media again.

Sounds like some prick journalist found out and ‘offered him the chance to tell his side of the story’. 

As he was threatened with being outed, he should out whoever was behind it. 
If it’s a newspaper, let the readers show their views on their stance. 

LeylandJambo

As someone who has had cancer I wish sir Chris all the very best in his fight against it. Horrible disease for anyone to have to go through.

tiger Rudi
9 hours ago, Sid said:

As he was threatened with being outed, he should out whoever was behind it. 
If it’s a newspaper, let the readers show their views on their stance. 

This..... Wanted to keep it private but "his hand was forced". Not sure if that's a rag newspaper reporter or somebody selling a story but it's shit!!

Bloody aweful!!

Hope he reveals who spilled their guts. 

Wish him all the best and hope he recovers fully. 

Gundermann
11 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

Makes you wonder, an absolute machine who has spent his entire life fine tuning his body. Been in controlled diets for years etc etc, then this ******* hits him. What chance do us slobs have? All the best Chris.

Thought the same. Some folk do their best but it still gets you. 

Wonder which rag threatened to out him? Lowlifes.

Tommy Brown

Correct

I suffered oesophagus cancer.

It can be put down to smoking, alcohol, diet, hot drinks.

As a non-smoker, I put mine down to alcohol.

I preferred to to be upfront and tell people.

With bravado also saying that I would through it.

I was extremely lucky, a real nick of time diagnosis and just before covid shut the country down. Tremendous treatment and ultimate surgery means I am still able to make this post 4 years on (to the month).

All the best Chris, a sporting hero and great personality. You will smash it.

Gorgierools
7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Correct

I was extremely lucky, a real nick of time diagnosis and just before covid shut the country down. Tremendous treatment and ultimate surgery means I am still able to make this post 4 years on (to the month).

Well done mate,glad you beat the beast.

The reality is one in two of us can expect to get this disease at some point in our lives and although environmental and lifestyle factors are very significant, genetic factors also remain highly significant, hence you will find some very fortunate people who never get cancer despite living quite unhealthy lives, while some supremely fit athletes get the disease at a relatively young age. And of course, tragically, we know that some children also get cancer.

I suspect the incidence of cancer among professional sportsmen and women is probably not that much different to the rest of the population. The recent deaths of Gianluca Vialli and Sinisa Mihailovic and of course our very own Stefano Salvatori come to mind.

Advances are definitely now being made in the treatment of cancer and there are genuine grounds for believing that the next decade could see some seismic changes in terms of the treatment options available to many patients.

I wish Sir Chris all the very best. It's appalling that he felt that he was forced to reveal his diagnosis. You really do wonder who on earth would look to reveal something like that against the will of the person concerned.

LeylandJambo
12 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

The guy who first championed jogging as an exercise died of a heart attack. What's meant for you won't pass you by.

32 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Correct

Glad you won your fight mate 

Gorgierools
7 minutes ago, stirlo said:

The reality is one in two of us can expect to get this disease at some point in our lives and although environmental and lifestyle factors are very significant, genetic factors also remain highly significant, hence you will find some very fortunate people who never get cancer despite living quite unhealthy lives, while some supremely fit athletes get the disease at a relatively young age. And of course, tragically, we know that some children also get cancer.

I suspect the incidence of cancer among professional sportsmen and women is probably not that much different to the rest of the population. The recent deaths of Gianluca Vialli and Sinisa Mihailovic and of course our very own Stefano Salvatori come to mind.

Advances are definitely now being made in the treatment of cancer and there are genuine grounds for believing that the next decade could see some seismic changes in terms of the treatment options available to many patients.

I wish Sir Chris all the very best. It's appalling that he felt that he was forced to reveal his diagnosis. You really do wonder who on earth would look to reveal something like that against the will of the person concerned.

Good post. Sure I read something recently saying were close to a blood test capable of detecting a good number of the most common cancers. Early detection being an important factor , this could be a game changer.

Thoughts with everyone currently fighting cancer.

Selkirkhmfc1874
34 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Correct

Very good news buddy , well done on kicking that horrible disease ass

upgotheheads
14 hours ago, Cameronstheman said:

Why would that be ??

I hope you've got my personal message C.

For everyone else, this is what I sent to Cameronstheman.

"Just read the heart breaking news, go on smash the evil Chris "

I probably should have explained my comment better; what I should have said is that referring to Cancer as 'the evil' and 'smashing it' is counterproductive, because it elevates this disease to something supernatural, which it isn't, it's a disease which is quite common and can be cured, yes, it can be cured. 

It's people thinking that it's a death sentence (which it isn't) that puts them off going to the doctor early if they have symptoms or going every year to have bloods taken and asking (demanding even) to have their PSA checked, prostate cancer being one of the commonest cancers. My PSA levels were tracked and rising over about 6 years, so when they reached a particular level my doctor took notice and the process started at an early stage.

Fear of cancer is possibly one of the reasons that people leave the process until it's too late. Guys, get your PSA levels checked when you get into your fifties, and maybe earlier if there's a family history. At least talk to your doctor and have an annual check, whether you have symptoms or not.

south morroccan
2 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

Good post. Sure I read something recently saying were close to a blood test capable of detecting a good number of the most common cancers. Early detection being an important factor , this could be a game changer.

Thoughts with everyone currently fighting cancer.

I've been taking part in the trial for this. It claims to be able to detect early signs of 50 different types of cancers by dna testing of blood samples. Nothing has come up for me following the three annual tests. So I'm either clear or part of the 50% control group.

Check it out on www.nhs-galleri.org

Gorgierools
2 hours ago, south morroccan said:

I've been taking part in the trial for this. It claims to be able to detect early signs of 50 different types of cancers by dna testing of blood samples. Nothing has come up for me following the three annual tests. So I'm either clear or part of the 50% control group.

Check it out on www.nhs-galleri.org

Fingers crossed that it's the former bud. Thanks for that 

John Findlay

I hope he and all others suffering from this horrible disease/condition can overcome it, and hopefully have a long life.

will-i-am-a-jambo
17 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

It's not just external factors like diet, exposure to radiation or lifestyle etc that can cause cancer. Could be genetic. All the best to Sir Chris Hoy. Hope he makes a full recovery.  

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

I hope you've got my personal message C.

For everyone else, this is what I sent to Cameronstheman.

"Just read the heart breaking news, go on smash the evil Chris "

I probably should have explained my comment better; what I should have said is that referring to Cancer as 'the evil' and 'smashing it' is counterproductive, because it elevates this disease to something supernatural, which it isn't, it's a disease which is quite common and can be cured, yes, it can be cured. 

It's people thinking that it's a death sentence (which it isn't) that puts them off going to the doctor early if they have symptoms or going every year to have bloods taken and asking (demanding even) to have their PSA checked, prostate cancer being one of the commonest cancers. My PSA levels were tracked and rising over about 6 years, so when they reached a particular level my doctor took notice and the process started at an early stage.

Fear of cancer is possibly one of the reasons that people leave the process until it's too late. Guys, get your PSA levels checked when you get into your fifties, and maybe earlier if there's a family history. At least talk to your doctor and have an annual check, whether you have symptoms or not.

What are PSA levels and at what age should we start looking at them?

upgotheheads

Prostate  Specific  Antigen.  Speak  to your  doctor. Some  Dont like them because they can give  false  positives.  But  they worked for me.  Doc  should  offer you  the finger test if he  or you  are  worried.  Don't worry about that either.  It's painless, we need  to take  more  responsibility for our  own health. N H S can't  keep  track  of everyone. 

jock _turd
17 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

You don’t win 6 Olympic gold medals without having an absolutely granite mindset and willing to fight like ****.

Wish him all the best!

I get what you mean but if mind set was all that mattered many more would survive cancers... some are terminal from day one of discovery and the person who has the cancer are made aware of that fact.