UEFA Revenue Distribution 2022-23

Elljay

Didn't see a thread for this, so added it here.

UEFA have published their accounts for 2022-23, including competition reveue distributed to clubs (page 32 onwards).

Some takeaways:

1. losing to Zurich probably cost us 2 million euros (despite the fact we would have struggled to win any points in the Europa League)

2. Win/draw bonuses in the Conference worth as much as Co-efficient share and market pool money added together, but in the Europa League, Market pool money = Co-efficient+win/draw amounts
3. Extra for participating in Europa league - +700,000 euros and a much bigger market pool money share would gain us more than the 1,100,000 we won for the two wins over Riga
3. Our 5 million Euros compares with the uglies' shares of 21 million for Gers and 31 million for Celtic despite both doing sod-all in The Champs League.

Report here:

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/028a-1a2134203eb5-f59fe74100ae-1000/uefa_financial_report_2022-23_en.pdf

Further to the above, it seems that from 2024-25 on the shares will change a bit with more for performance, a little more for participation and less for the market pool.

So are we saying the "rather be in the ECL cos we are more likely to win points and pick up money anyway" is a moot argument cos we'd get more by being in EL no matter what?

So then it comes down to what we'd rather as a support in a way.  Nice to have games we can win, frankly!  But then if its financially better plus we get to see some properly big teams at Tynie...

I kinda think being in the Europa would be ace.  I guess, that also means we've had a couple of right good results to get there too, which would be great.

33 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

So are we saying the "rather be in the ECL cos we are more likely to win points and pick up money anyway" is a moot argument cos we'd get more by being in EL no matter what?

So then it comes down to what we'd rather as a support in a way.  Nice to have games we can win, frankly!  But then if its financially better plus we get to see some properly big teams at Tynie...

I kinda think being in the Europa would be ace.  I guess, that also means we've had a couple of right good results to get there too, which would be great.

I think I'd still prefer the ECL, form is so important and I would be concerned we'd take losing midweek into the game at the weekend.

Easier to maintain winning ways if we're not playing teams where the gulf in resources is ridiculous IMO. 

13 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think I'd still prefer the ECL, form is so important and I would be concerned we'd take losing midweek into the game at the weekend.

Easier to maintain winning ways if we're not playing teams where the gulf in resources is ridiculous IMO. 

What like facing Fiorentina and Luka Jovic (that Madrid bought for 63m EUR)?

I do get what you mean and the Europa Group stages are littered with CL level teams that have either had a bad season the year before or even just played poorly for 2 games and dropped down into the Europa

3 minutes ago, Ribble said:

What like facing Fiorentina and Luka Jovic (that Madrid bought for 63m EUR)?

I do get what you mean and the Europa Group stages are littered with CL level teams that have either had a bad season the year before or even just played poorly for 2 games and dropped down into the Europa

Yeah, its more for the opportunity to play teams like RFS or Helsinki - whereas in the Europa league we ARE the RFS or Helsinki :lol: 

Winning in Europe is a brilliant feeling, and I'd much rather play games where we can compete rather than games like Aston Villa v Hibs where its over before a balls kicked and then the team needs to carry the mental pain of getting thrashed 5-0 

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Yeah, its more for the opportunity to play teams like RFS or Helsinki - whereas in the Europa league we ARE the RFS or Helsinki :lol: 

Winning in Europe is a brilliant feeling, and I'd much rather play games where we can compete rather than games like Aston Villa v Hibs where its over before a balls kicked and then the team needs to carry the mental pain of getting thrashed 5-0 

This for me. Getting an extra couple of million to see us humiliated at that level doesn’t really hold much interest. Happy enough competing at our level or just above and see if we can improve ourselves. You learn feck all getting thrashed by the Villas and Spurs IMO

Rosenborg at home this season was the best night since we came out of administration 

Edited by JimmyCant

davemclaren

We should look to play at the highest level we can . If we manage to  qualify for the Europa League then bring it on. 

Chuck Berry

Europa League group stage is two more games than Conference League group stage next year as well isn't it?

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

This for me. Getting an extra couple of million to see us humiliated at that level doesn’t really hold much interest. Happy enough competing at our level or just above and see if we can improve ourselves. You learn feck all getting thrashed by the Villas and Spurs IMO

Rosenborg at home this season was the best night since we came out of administration 

Ive been at some great nights including Bayern, Bordeaux etc.

Rosenborg was up there IMO and will be talked about in years to come.

jamboinglasgow
38 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Europa League group stage is two more games than Conference League group stage next year as well isn't it?

It is, meaning if we get into the Europa League we will playing two games in January (must be why there is no winter break next season,) which will have an effect on us.

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I wonder what would have happened had we not gotten into such a difficult group. Istanbul and Fiorentina were nearly impossible for us to pick up points on. There's one or two other groups that were as difficult but to me in at least 5 of them we could have had an outside shot of getting second.

I imagine getting to the knockout round in any tournament boosts the revenue significantly, but then again if we end up in the EL group stages maybe we can claw our way into third and get the same reward...

3 hours ago, sac said:

£20m-£30m champs league is where we need to be. 
would pay for a new Wheatfield.

This. :)

Finish second this season.

Shankland home hat trick in the playoff.

Spend 6 games getting thrashed up and down the pitch for £5m per loss.

30k Tynecastle sorted.

1 hour ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I wonder what would have happened had we not gotten into such a difficult group. Istanbul and Fiorentina were nearly impossible for us to pick up points on. There's one or two other groups that were as difficult but to me in at least 5 of them we could have had an outside shot of getting second.

I imagine getting to the knockout round in any tournament boosts the revenue significantly, but then again if we end up in the EL group stages maybe we can claw our way into third and get the same reward...

This. :)

Finish second this season.

Shankland home hat trick in the playoff.

Spend 6 games getting thrashed up and down the pitch for £5m per loss.

30k Tynecastle sorted.

I mean I'd take that :lol: 

When folk talk about the next level, I really think getting a Tynecastle that properly reflects the size of support we could have is it. Its daft, its petty but I really think the 3rd biggest club should have the 3rd biggest club stadium. Get something that is high 20s/30k

Its fantasy stuff, but one season of Champions League money would be a game changer for the clubs fortunes. If spent on infrastructure, the club could be set up for years to come. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, OTT said:

I mean I'd take that :lol: 

When folk talk about the next level, I really think getting a Tynecastle that properly reflects the size of support we could have is it. Its daft, its petty but I really think the 3rd biggest club should have the 3rd biggest club stadium. Get something that is high 20s/30k

Its fantasy stuff, but one season of Champions League money would be a game changer for the clubs fortunes. If spent on infrastructure, the club could be set up for years to come. 

I'm a broken record on this but I think building a 15k Wheatfield (basically Elland Road in Gorgie) has to be done at some point and that it would cost £40-50m.

In this fantasy scenario we qualify for the CL before the window closes and sell Shanks for £10m because he scored 5 goals in Germany leading Scotland to the semis and then his hat trick against Deila's Club Brugge or some such to get there.

I know folk would be screaming to put the money in the squad but that's dust in the wind compared what a bigger stadium would do for us.

Just now, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I'm a broken record on this but I think building a 15k Wheatfield (basically Elland Road in Gorgie) has to be done at some point and that it would cost £40-50m.

In this fantasy scenario we qualify for the CL before the window closes and sell Shanks for £10m because he scored 5 goals in Germany leading Scotland to the semis and then his hat trick against Deila's Club Brugge or some such to get there.

I know folk would be screaming to put the money in the squad but that's dust in the wind compared what a bigger stadium would do for us.

My imagination starts running away from me, but if there was anyway to absolutely maximise the space/capacity availible on the Wheatfield side to get a 15k stand in, that would be an absolute game changer for us domestically. Probably talking about an increased capacity of 28k, which with a season ticket waiting list of c7-8k isn't outside the realms of ridiculous that we'd see ourselves grow into the increased capacity fairly quick. Overcoming the issues to be able to do that though is no mean feat. 

Thing is as well, when we do expand the Wheatfield, there is almost a duty to absolutely seek to maximise the capacity there, because of the costs involved, failing to future proof when we have a chance to do so is hamstringing us in the future. I'm gutted we only got 7k for the main stand. 

Hopefully with the hotel & budges loan being due to be paid back we will be able to increase our spending on the first team and this will make securing the money via the Europa League/Conference easier and allow us to build up the cash to be able to seriously look at further expansion in the medium/long term. 

Jambo-Fox
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

We should look to play at the highest level we can . If we manage to  qualify for the Europa League then bring it on. 

And if (when?) we finish second and manage to qualify for the Champions League then BRING IT ON!!!

Jambo-Fox
5 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Edited by Jambo-Fox
My comment was factually incorrect!

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, OTT said:

My imagination starts running away from me, but if there was anyway to absolutely maximise the space/capacity availible on the Wheatfield side to get a 15k stand in, that would be an absolute game changer for us domestically. Probably talking about an increased capacity of 28k, which with a season ticket waiting list of c7-8k isn't outside the realms of ridiculous that we'd see ourselves grow into the increased capacity fairly quick. Overcoming the issues to be able to do that though is no mean feat. 

Thing is as well, when we do expand the Wheatfield, there is almost a duty to absolutely seek to maximise the capacity there, because of the costs involved, failing to future proof when we have a chance to do so is hamstringing us in the future. I'm gutted we only got 7k for the main stand. 

Hopefully with the hotel & budges loan being due to be paid back we will be able to increase our spending on the first team and this will make securing the money via the Europa League/Conference easier and allow us to build up the cash to be able to seriously look at further expansion in the medium/long term. 

Yes, the Main was limited by the alcohol tanks and we can’t get bigger by one seat without dealing with that. But once we pay for those we need to maximize the site as best we can.

Initially, I know this divides opinions, but we’d be filling seats by letting the OF and Aberdeen have all of the Roseburn again.That’s a tradeoff I’m willing to make if it gets even more Hearts fans in the door. But the OF would sound a lot less poisonous next to a 15k stand of screaming Jambos.

15 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

All 3 of the European competitions have an extra 2 games. 8 games in “group stage” rather than 6

2 minutes ago, thejoff said:

All 3 of the European competitions have an extra 2 games. 8 games in “group stage” rather than 6

I’m wrong - 

Will the Europa League and Europa Conference League formats change from 2024/25 too?

Yes. Similar format changes will also be applied to the UEFA Europa League (eight matches and therefore eight different opponents in the league phase) and UEFA Europa Conference League, which will be called the UEFA Conference League as of 2024/25 (six matches and therefore six different opponents in the league phase), with both competitions also featuring 36 teams in the league phase.

Jack Torrance
16 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Correct Dave. We should always aim to test ourselves against the best opposition. It's the only way we'll improve. 

12 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Yes, the Main was limited by the alcohol tanks and we can’t get bigger by one seat without dealing with that. But once we pay for those we need to maximize the site as best we can.

Initially, I know this divides opinions, but we’d be filling seats by letting the OF and Aberdeen have all of the Roseburn again.That’s a tradeoff I’m willing to make if it gets even more Hearts fans in the door. But the OF would sound a lot less poisonous next to a 15k stand of screaming Jambos.

Yeah, If we were to expand in a way which maximised the land on the Wheatfield side and did deliver a massive stand, I think you could effectively shave off the Roseburn in the short term (i.e can we fill a 25k seater) - I think we can, its not an unreasonable increase and combined with the season ticket waiting list, I think there is good evidence we could. 

I know the next project will be the training ground, but hopefully with the money from European participation and the academy starting to turn a corner we might see the £30/40/50m needed to deliver a new Wheatfield become a lot more attainable. Would also be interesting to see if the club could make good headway in getting money squirrelled away, if the benefactors might be interested in helping get that over the finish line.