Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

kingantti1874
Just now, Dazo said:

Yep, think he may be out our reach at the moment. 

agreed. Though if we do bring in significant sums in sales, over and above the Euro money, the hotel money, the extra sponsorship money I’d hope we are brave and try and break our transfer record.   We need to invest in assets 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

JamboAl
13 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

It's true, I'm afraid. He actually signed a pre-contract with us on the 30th of February, it just won't be announced publicly until after our last game against Livi has been played. 

Correct.

We have a friendly arranged for June 31st and that will be his first outing.

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

agreed. Though if we do bring in significant sums in sales, over and above the Euro money, the hotel money, the extra sponsorship money I’d hope we are brave and try and break our transfer record.   We need to invest in assets 

I think we will spend a significant fee this summer especially if Shankland leaves. I’m a little wary though as splashing out doesn’t really work for us. On balance we seem to do better with free or bargains. 

11 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Dan Phillips to be the Beni replacement imo. 

Zander Clark interesting Celtic I believe. Although I believe he is a Rangers fan. Doesn’t mean much in this game and money talks. 

Celtic fans are expecting a high calibre replacement for Hart - Kelleher from Liverpool has been their kind of first choice from the press talk. 

If they try and replace Hart with Zander Clark, there will be riots down Parkhead way :lol: - They want the big name. TBH it wouldn't surprise me if Fraser Forster made another return. 

If Clark goes there, its as another Scott Bain or Sieghirst bench warmer. Although, Bain is OOC in the summer, so if we could sell Zander, Gordon returns to #1 and Bain as back up, that isn't an awful situation to be in. 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I think we will spend a significant fee this summer especially if Shankland leaves. I’m a little wary though as splashing out doesn’t really work for us. On balance we seem to do better with free or bargains. 

If we want to improve we need to get a better quality of player 

now is the time to strive for the next level 

1 minute ago, Hansel said:

Yeah, the Phillips rumour was a JKB rumour. On the same day several posters were claiming to have close friends who were supporters of St Johnstone and were ITK. Sure there was about 3 or 4 different posters all saying the same thing.

There was a guy on the St Johnstone forum who mentioned they were signing Smith from us several days before the news broke in the media.

The same guy posted that we had offered Phillips a pre contract.

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I agree with your point about spending money - just because we have money, doesn't mean we need to spend it all. Far rather see us try and sort out a high calibre replacement via a free transfer, Jonson Clarke-Harris from Peterborough could be a great option for example. 

pettigrewsstylist

Would love to see the wee egg hit double figures by season end. Totally achievable.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Would love to see the wee egg hit double figures by season end. Totally achievable.

He’s on 9 now is he not?

15 minutes ago, Hansel said:

This

And that other young lad McCowan

Luke McCowan is 26, but regardless I agree! Goal should be to get either him or Danny Armstrng in over the summer - being greedy I'd want both :lol: 

I like Forrests workrate, but his final ball/ general decision making is depressing and a big factor in how few chances we create and convert. 

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

If we want to improve we need to get a better quality of player 

now is the time to strive for the next level 

Absolutely, I’m just not sure spending big in terms of fees is the way to go. 

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

I agree with your point about spending money - just because we have money, doesn't mean we need to spend it all. Far rather see us try and sort out a high calibre replacement via a free transfer, Jonson Clarke-Harris from Peterborough could be a great option for example. 

Yep that’s the way I’d like us to go, pay for quality via wages. 

5 minutes ago, andrew said:

There was a guy on the St Johnstone forum who mentioned they were signing Smith from us several days before the news broke in the media.

The same guy posted that we had offered Phillips a pre contract.

Maybe we're keeping things extra hush out of respect for Levein?

Can't say I know much about Phillips ability wise. 

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I agree, i get the impression SN knows his chance at this level has come early and he aint going to mess about trying to get to where he wants to be in terms of playing style and tactics.

It's also clear who he doesn't favour.

Devlin might go as well tbh.

He's clearly not happy with our midfield apart from Beni and the Hoff.

Sibbick isn't trusted.

Mckay and Spittal add to our wide options So Oda becomes more of a peripheral player.

Tagawa isn't favoured and likley wants to move on.

Naismith isn't ****ing about.

46 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Reading between the lines, Beni thinks the current lot of midfield options are pish and wouldn't be up for staying if the likes of Dhanda and Spittal hadn't signed pre-contracts.

That was what I inferred from his words too. 

and TBH he's not wrong. Although I think he carries some of the can there too. Our attacks often breakdown in midfield because we lack the composure and speed of thought to quickly move the ball on. Whilst other players distribution of the ball isn't great - Grant can be extremely wasteful, Devlins had to really work on his passing, Denholm & Tait still young lads, Beni can often be seen holding onto the ball too long because he's so risk averse with forward passing. Have noticed a change in recent weeks TBF. 

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Luke McCowan is 26, but regardless I agree! Goal should be to get either him or Danny Armstrng in over the summer - being greedy I'd want both :lol: 

I like Forrests workrate, but his final ball/ general decision making is depressing and a big factor in how few chances we create and convert. 

Didn't realise he was as old as that. Yeah I'd love both too 😆 

soonbe110
On 15/02/2024 at 10:46, Batistuta87 said:

Good post. 

Striker wise, it really depends what happens with Shankland. If he goes, we need a new talisman but if he stays we only really need backup, so: 

Shankland stays:

Bruce Anderson from Livi

Robbie Ure ex-Rangers youth nearing the end of his contract in Belgium.

... or do we put some faith in Mackenzie Kirk? 

Shankland goes:

Scott Hogan (pacey Irishman, currently @ Birmingham)

Oskar Zawada (@ Wellington Pheonix on a short-term deal... 5 goals in first 8 apps)

Luca Schuler (6ft3 heed playing in GER)

Yool Heol (6ft4 Korean heed playing in K-League)

Fiete Arp (ex-Bayern wonderkid unlucky with injuries currently in 2nd in GER) 

Same goes for Beni. He goes, we need a main man but if he stays we just need backup, so:

Beni stays:

Lewis Warrington (tapping into Everton for a release-ee)

Jamie Lindsay 

Matty James 

Harry Kite

Callum Slattery (he'd fill a gap...)

Beni goes:

Alan Campbell 

Joe Allen for a year

Ben Osborn

Connor Barron if he's not going to Rangers 

Greg Docherty

Would also take Dexter on a season long loan if that was possible. If not there are a couple of Aussies who would do a job including Straing - but also Rhyan Grant, Josh Risdon, who are a bit older with a bit more experience. 

Left back if Cochrane leaves. Not needed if he stays. 

And obviously replace anyone that does leave. 

Glad to see its not 17 out and 24 in. 

Think the Kirk option is a non starter   If he can’t even get on the pitch at any time for L1 Hamilton he isnt going to be the answer to any of our questions next season    
Suspect he has been given a one year deal to protect dev fee   Will either be sold or loaned out again next season  

According to other posters he will be too old for B team next season   

RustyRightPeg
55 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Reading between the lines, Beni thinks the current lot of midfield options are pish and wouldn't be up for staying if the likes of Dhanda and Spittal hadn't signed pre-contracts.

Hard to disagree really 

BackOfTheNet
30 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

His list was perfectly reasonable giving the rumours, your list is  ridiculous.

Good chance much of the list will play out.

Beni hasn't signed a contract.

Shankland,  clearly he'll have interest. 

Sibbick, we have knocked back recent bids.

Cochrane,  last year of contract,  we've just signed a lb.

Oda, very little game time with more in his position incoming 

Clarke/Gordon- something might have to give.

Grant has been in/ out of the side.

All reasonable and not extreme giving the game Time, contract situation and rumours.

Dunno what point you are trying to prove with your list. 

My point originally is 10 out with the vast majority playing a lot would be extreme. Which it would. Not saying there hasn’t been rumours to suggest these guys may be away, but out of contract players or Shankland aside, it’s mostly conjecture on this forum. I never said it’s ridiculous or out of realms of possibility it might happen, just said it would be extreme. Particularly as Naismith has said repeatedly he doesn’t want huge turnarounds every window, and if those 10 guys left then we’d have a scenario of 10 out and possibly 10 in, if not not more, as Naismith has also talked about the larger squad for competing on two fronts (domestic and European). So a 20 player turnaround would be extreme, given that’s precisely what the manager has said he doesn’t want.

The point of providing the incoming list, as ridiculous as you may find it, is that those names have been repeatedly suggested on this forum as targets we should go for / have gone for / were close to signing at some point. The point was to show that what is said on this forum should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

13 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Think he had one good game against us. He certainly caught my eye that day but not sure that’s how he normally performs. 

Chuck Berry
2 hours ago, RS86 said:

He left St J in the summer of 2022 and signed for us in Sept. He basically missed preseason and a few games, not half a season.

Fair point

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Hes had 11 bookings this season, and two assists in just under 30 games. 
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/daniel-phillips/detaillierteleistungsdaten/spieler/646996/plus/1

Edited by Pasquale for King
Link

Batistuta87
23 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

He'll do it - only needs another two. 

Great achievement considering he's young, its his first season away from home, and he doesn't even speak English yet.

Edited by Batistuta87

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

My point originally is 10 out with the vast majority playing a lot would be extreme. Which it would. Not saying there hasn’t been rumours to suggest these guys may be away, but out of contract players or Shankland aside, it’s mostly conjecture on this forum. I never said it’s ridiculous or out of realms of possibility it might happen, just said it would be extreme. Particularly as Naismith has said repeatedly he doesn’t want huge turnarounds every window, and if those 10 guys left then we’d have a scenario of 10 out and possibly 10 in, if not not more, as Naismith has also talked about the larger squad for competing on two fronts (domestic and European). So a 20 player turnaround would be extreme, given that’s precisely what the manager has said he doesn’t want.

The point of providing the incoming list, as ridiculous as you may find it, is that those names have been repeatedly suggested on this forum as targets we should go for / have gone for / were close to signing at some point. The point was to show that what is said on this forum should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Time will tell.

Given the rumours and current situation of the players mentioned it's not extreme.

It's actually very probable and likley that many of these players will leave or be subject to bids from other clubs.

I'd add Devlin to the list as well, he can't be happy with his playing Time.

Going to be a busy summer, 3 in already, 4 if you count Nouble...

Chuck Berry
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

Hearing from a good source we've made contact with Nouble regarding pre contract 👍 

Apparently he had a falling out with Martindale because he wasn't signing an extension, so he's been frozen out the team.

Checks calendar, wipes away a bead of sweat in relief......

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Think he had one good game against us. He certainly caught my eye that day but not sure that’s how he normally performs. 

When was that, all he’s ever done is try to break players legs, he was involved when Boyce did his ACL. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

When was that, all he’s ever done is try to break players legs, he was involved when Boyce did his ACL. 

Game at Tynecastle, can’t remember exactly which one. As a said it was one good game(imo) and caught my eye. Not really losing sleep whether we are after him or not to be honest. 

Chuck Berry
21 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think the Kirk option is a non starter   If he can’t even get on the pitch at any time for L1 Hamilton he isnt going to be the answer to any of our questions next season    
Suspect he has been given a one year deal to protect dev fee   Will either be sold or loaned out again next season  

Kirk will go back out on loan.   He would learn nothing from playing in the B team again, and he probably is too old anyway.   Kelty Hearts have had Alfie Bavidge from Aberdeen this season and he's been banging them in, and younger than Kirk.  That's the type of loan he needs to see if he can step up.

Chuck Berry
9 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'd add Devlin to the list as well, he can't be happy with his playing Time.

Going to be a busy summer, 3 in already, 4 if you count Nouble...

TBH Devlin is the one that may come out of left field.   I don't think SN will actively look to move him on, he'll be happy to keep him and continue to help him work on his game, but if the player himself wants more game time then he may look to leave.  I like Cammy, but he wouldn't be a big loss.

johnking123
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

Hearing from a good source we've made contact with Nouble regarding pre contract 👍 

Apparently he had a falling out with Martindale because he wasn't signing an extension, so he's been frozen out the team.

Just nasty 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Probably in a team struggle to retain the ball too, so would assume those bookings would drop here since we play a possession game. 

I wonder if he'd offer much when in possession. Or would he be similar to Devlin I wonder 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Just nasty 

Or April 1st

johnking123

One thing Naismith wants is more talking on the pitch. Few more leader types. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think breaking the transfer record is almost an arbitary goal - like we'd be investing heavily in a single player working out, where as for what we paid for Beslija, could we pay to bring in say, Luke McCowan AND Danny Armstrong? I'd certainly be keen to see us try for that. If we could stump up say, £500-600k for Armstrong and a bit less for McCowan then that would be excellent business. 

Do think we need to be brave in the transfer market though. Pay a little more than we're entirely comfortable with. 

My preference is usually free transfers but Armstrong & McCowan both proven at this level and could be huge players for us. 

johnking123

Would like Armstrong and Lyall Cameron. Armstrong is different to our other wingers. Likes to put himself about and get in peoples faces. Bit like Naismith did.  

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Would like Armstrong and Lyall Cameron. Armstrong is different to our other wingers. Likes to put himself about and get in peoples faces. Bit like Naismith did.  

and his delivery is fantastic. Flat and with pace.  

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Game at Tynecastle, can’t remember exactly which one. As a said it was one good game(imo) and caught my eye. Not really losing sleep whether we are after him or not to be honest. 

I can’t say I have ever been impressed, one of these guys that can’t handle being physically overpowered. A red card waiting to happen in Maroon. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Probably in a team struggle to retain the ball too, so would assume those bookings would drop here since we play a possession game. 

If you assume you make an ass out of u and me. With a passionate crowd baying for blood he would be red carded and be sat beside Boyce n Halkett most weeks. 
Really not what we need if Beni leaves. 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Yeah I'm not sure. Obviously if Shankland stays he's the main man and all we need is a backup option. We have Vargas, so is that option a young laddie that's already here or do we sign someone. I'm thinking we probably sign someone. Ure would be a good shout. Had loads of promise when he was at Rangers, doing alright in Belgium, so who knows. I'm sure there are loads of options out there. 

Batistuta87
28 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

He does. Takes no shit and one of those players you hate to play against because he gets in about it and is aggressive. Was even giving it to the Hearts fans in the Wheatfield yesterday which I thought was pretty funny and actually quite liked. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Pasquale for King

I think any big fee we spend will be on a replacement for Shankland. 
Armstrong would be an upgrade as a right winger, but depends on how much money they want. I wouldn’t baulk at sending Forrest to them as a makeweight if they wanted him. 

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If you assume you make an ass out of u and me. With a passionate crowd baying for blood he would be red carded and be sat beside Boyce n Halkett most weeks. 
Really not what we need if Beni leaves. 

You're doing the same thing though :lol: 

thejoff

If we are breaking transfer fee it will be for Shanklands replacement but going to be a huge risk. Not sure your guaranteed success even spending 1million on a number 9. You could spend 2 or 3 million and still no certainly…

Just now, thejoff said:

If we are breaking transfer fee it will be for Shanklands replacement but going to be a huge risk. Not sure your guaranteed success even spending 1million on a number 9. You could spend 2 or 3 million and still no certainly…

True! look at the shite the uglies have got after spunking millions in the past.

Even Oor JJ has spent decent cash on some absolute dross when prior to that he'd worked his magic on a shoe string budget

23 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think any big fee we spend will be on a replacement for Shankland. 
Armstrong would be an upgrade as a right winger, but depends on how much money they want. I wouldn’t baulk at sending Forrest to them as a makeweight if they wanted him. 

I think Kille were quoted as looking for around £600k in January.

I'm not sure how attainable that is, but perhaps worth trying to stretch for it. Edit: Also wouldn't be against sending them Forrest either.

I would rather hold onto Shankland but the Laddie at Peterborough - Jonson Clarke-Harris looks as good a replacement as any and on a free transfer too I believe. Maybe Grant & Kent can get in his ear. European group stage football isn't something every player gets to experience. 

Edited by OTT

JimmyCant
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Correct.

We have a friendly arranged for June 31st and that will be his first outing.

You must have missed Calendar day at school

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )