Naisy speaks about Devlin

Pete Elliott

10 minutes ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Great Post ,can't argue with this at all

Absolutely.  Spot on big man.

I think what SN said is great and accurate. Hopefully though, he had the player's permission to talk about him to the press. I would feel a little uneasy if this was done without that.

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

I was at both games and can't remember thinking of him producing box to box midfielder performances in either game. 

He's got the energy for that type of role but not the creativity, passing or finishing for me, all skills which are key for that role and difficult to teach/learn.

I must have imagined his two goals v Rosenberg and the two penalties he won against Celtic then?!  How did he manage that without getting to the opposition box?  Certainly the Rosenberg game is fresher in my mind because it was much more recent and probably the best performance he has ever had for us.  He was absolutely magnificent and covered just about every blade of grass on the pitch from winning tackles and interceptions in our box, in midfield and getting up to support with two goals.  If that isn’t box to box then I don’t know is. 

I agree about his passing and finishing and that is clearly areas SN and the coaches will be working on to improve.

Rocky jamboa
7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I must have imagined his two goals v Rosenberg and the two penalties he won against Celtic then?!  How did he manage that without getting to the opposition box?  Certainly the Rosenberg game is fresher in my mind because it was much more recent and probably the best performance he has ever had for us.  He was absolutely magnificent and covered just about every blade of grass on the pitch from winning tackles and interceptions in our box, in midfield and getting up to support with two goals.  If that isn’t box to box then I don’t know is. 

I agree about his passing and finishing and that is clearly areas SN and the coaches will be working on to improve.

You might be right about the Rosenburg game and having one of his best games for us. 

He still doesn't seem to have the attributes for me to play that role but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

This is a point I was beginning to make but rowed back. We are where we are and Naisy & Cammy have to find that sweet spot where he's dynamic but just on the right side of however the law is interpreted for a potentially influential Hearts player. 

A lot of Scottish club football fans don’t realize how much (as you pointed out) the rules being interpreted differently affect us and other non butt cheek teams when it comes to cards and suspensions. We’ve all seen it. Not long ago we had a game against Celtic when we had 10/12 fouls and 6 cards. Celtic had more fouls and no cards. How? Why?

We all know why. Interpretation by our $#!tty officials. 

Skacelsid

Encouraging that SN seems to have man management skills and understands that players have different skills to offer and any "system" needs to be flexible enough to make best use of a players natural attributes. He has shown he is prepared to make changes if things are not working out during the game. A strong bench is a big asset.

Edited by Skacelsid
Missed a word

Pasquale for King

Brilliant to hear that the manager is identifying players weaknesses and helping them to improve. 

tartofmidlothian

Cammy played like Colin Cameron in the home tie against Rosenborg. Attack, defence, shoring up midfield, scoring for fun, involved in everything. Composed with it, as well.

If he played like that every week he'd easily overtake Kent and Gordon to challenge Shankland as the best player at the club. The ball's in his court.

22 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Right! I 100% agree with Naisy.  Also, who am I! And Naisy will be all over this.

Please don't overcoach Cammy though... here me out.

Yes it would be brilliant if he was more disciplined and held his role.  But for me, his chaos factor is such a potent weapon.  Look at how many goal involvements he had last season, including penalties won, assists, pre-assists.  The guy is a real attacking weapon through sheer will.  I do understand he needs to know when and when not, but I hope it's more when!

He can make better decisions, especially going forward - kind of on the break moving forward, and shooting, he gets over excited!  I actually think in and around the box, he plays nice passes and can penetrate, so it's not so much that.  It's his forward passing from deeper needs work.

Secondly, he has the football in him.  This "limited footballer" thing is bullshit.  We've seen him play the ball playing 6 role to great effect on a number of occasions.  He looks for the ball, his first touch and awareness of space is excellent, and he pops off his passes, does it all pretty quick too - he is more than capable of ticking over the midfield.  Zurich and Rosenborg are the obvious examples of him controlling a midfield, but its happened on a number of occasions.  Anyone who thinks he's just a headless chicken, needs to watch these games back.

Not in one bit disagreeing with Naisy here, and a line which jumped out at me was along the lines of every player has bits of their game we're working on.  Of course they do!  And what I like is I get the impression we really do have a squad who want to improve as individuals and as a team.  You get the impression sometimes a player thinks they're the finished article (Hibs breed this as standard), and we don't want that - we want lads like Cammy who are open eyed and want to learn and push themselves.  Just what we want, in fact.

Excellent post. Totally agree.