Naisy speaks about Devlin

Pete Elliott

Pete Elliott

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/behind-the-scenes-at-riccarton-how-hearts-are-converting-cammy-devlin-into-a-different-type-of-player-4514427

“Cammy probably brings a bit of a different dynamic to the others in midfield," said the head coach. "We have competition in there, probably even more now than we did in pre-season. Macaulay Tait and Aidan Denholm have pushed on and they are chapping on the door to be selected. That's the case as much as Cammy is coming back from injury, and as much as Beni [Baningime] and Calem [Nieuwenhof] have been doing recently.

"I think there is a place for them all. Cammy is slightly different to the others in terms of what he brings, but we have been working hard with him on other bits he can improve on. His energy and ability to get about the pitch is arguably as good as anybody at the club, if not better. It's about not losing discipline at times.

It's about being structured in your position. Because he is playing in a vital area of the pitch, he can't be indisciplined. A forward can be a bit indisciplined and just press and press because he's got the midfield behind him. If Cammy does that at times, it could become a problem. That was something we identified in the summer.

"To Cammy's credit, he has done really well at that. I think he can be more of a box-to-box midfielder, which I don't think he has been in the past. He gets about but it's then his decision-making with the ball - when can he pass forward? - and being brave at certain points rather than being safer. It's just these small details.”

Threedoorsdown

I completely agree.

how refreshing to see a coach with a fecking plan. I honestly feel like I’m dreaming. 

Excellent from Naismith.  Genuinely feels like he’s there to improve every players game, rather than just trying to get results on a Saturday 

Oda be a JT

Starting to really think we should be getting Naisy to the table for contract talks as he is doing everything right, let’s get him tied down long term.

pettigrewsstylist
12 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

I completely agree.

how refreshing to see a coach with a fecking plan. I honestly feel like I’m dreaming. 

Everything this guy says is on point. High hopes for next couple of yrs, if we can find a goalscorer or two. 

Threedoorsdown
8 minutes ago, Oda be a JT said:

Starting to really think we should be getting Naisy to the table for contract talks as he is doing everything right, let’s get him tied down long term.

Yep. There’s enough green shoots for me to hop aboard this train.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The last true box to box midfielder we had was Paul Hartley. If Cammy adds attacking verve and shooting to his repartee... :wow:

I'm beginning to believe Naismith could take us to a new level.

He sees what we do and he has the ability to sort it.

Fort Vallance

It's also refreshing to see Cammy doing his talking on the training ground these days rather than the talking to the press every other day when he wasn't playing.

Rocky jamboa

The sign of a good manager, identifying and looking to work on weaknesses. You can tell he knows his stuff.  Can you imagine Neilson ever coming out with this??? 😄

I like Cammy and his energy. As Naismith says, he brings something different. I'm not sure I'd see him ever being a box to box midfielder though. 

Fozzyonthefence
25 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

The sign of a good manager, identifying and looking to work on weaknesses. You can tell he knows his stuff.  Can you imagine Neilson ever coming out with this??? 😄

I like Cammy and his energy. As Naismith says, he brings something different. I'm not sure I'd see him ever being a box to box midfielder though. 

Did you not see the Rosenberg game or the 4-3 game v Celtic?  Obviously he needs to work on his finishing though. 

Pete Elliott
3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The last true box to box midfielder we had was Paul Hartley

We’ve had a few since, just none of his quality.

Pete Elliott
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Did you not see the Rosenberg game or the 4-3 game v Celtic?  Obviously he needs to work on his finishing though. 

What I took from the article was that his biggest development point is his positioning and decision-making.

Be good to see how this goes. The big concern is his shooting. 

Great ball winner and adds some bite every time he plays. Hope he does well. 

I’m glad there seems to be a constructive plan to make Cam a better tactical fit for the current side. His work rate is incredible and is like having an extra man in midfield at times when we don’t have the ball. 

If teams have worked out a way to play through him fair Fuchs to Naismith and the team for spotting it* and figuring out a potential solution. Cam’s pressing energy better harnessed to an organised collective press will be even better than his miniature Viking berserker solo act. 

Composure for the final ball has always been a thing. He has over hit passes in the past after doing all the hard stuff. Wee scamp just seems to be so buzzing on adrenaline he sometimes hits his putts like his drives. 

Shooting… well I’m willing to be corrected here, but I’ve never seen a pro player add a convincing laces drive shot to their repertoire if they didn’t come through with one. Just doesn’t seem to be a thing. Love to be wrong though. 

Other than that though, he receives well in the half turn and takes the ball away from pressure very well (not quite Beni level, but hit that standard v Zurich). 

So I could see him develop into more of a box to box player. Season one to season two this has partly happened (much higher starting position, swapped half his turnovers per game for a couple of handfuls of goal involvements). 

Glad to see there is more nuance to the coaches attitudes than some of the absolutists on here. 

*I only saw this when he was playing alongside Snodgrass, and I very much blamed Snodgrass. Cam was trying to mark everyone, everywhere all at once. Maybe this habit lingered even after Snodgrass was gone?

Edited by CMc

Dallas Green

Something I've said about Devlin for a long time. Far too easily dragged out of position and leaves gaping holes in midfield. Glad Naismith has identified it and is actively working to better his game, excellent bit of coaching.

If Devlin can improve that bit of his game he could be an incredible asset.

copa-mundial

My take or biggest take from this, is the discipline issue with not only Devlin, who we all know picked up yellows almost as a formality. 

The whole squad as a collective have been very disciplined with card counts. 

We definitely haven't been as rash picking up silly bookings anymore. 

On this, is another aspect I really like about Naismith. When a player is booked. He usually subs them off quite quickly. He doesn't take the risk. 

Midloth_Iain
6 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I wondered why Cammy hasn't been in the team recently 🤔

Also been injured

Hopefully Cammy can turn it around and get back in the team. It was clear SN wasn’t happy with him and it’s good to see them working on it rather than just dumping him out the squad. We’ll have some player of he learns the discipline and tactical side of the game. 

TexasAndy

Almost forgotten about Devlin these last few weeks.  Our squad is looking really strong.

Skacelsid

Cammy should be used box to box and not moulded into a defensive safe passing midfielder, take advantage of his enthusiasm  and work-rate. He would get goals arriving in the box. IMO. He is no duff player as some suggest, he just wants to be where the action is.

spacerjoe
9 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

He had definitely shown signs of it early on the season when he had those match winning, goal scoring performances.

Whether or not he can learn the discipline required to take on that role is another matter.

Diehardjambo1

Stevie is saying all the right things, in the media, in the dressing room, on the training park and in his office.  He’s got the Hoff believing and the youngsters on high alert and buzzing knowing that they will get a chance for a place in the squad if they knuckle down. He’s got a massive feel good factor around all areas of the Tynie pitch and everyone is buying into it including the fans which are massive to have on side. 

Edited by Diehardjambo1

Right! I 100% agree with Naisy.  Also, who am I! And Naisy will be all over this.

Please don't overcoach Cammy though... here me out.

Yes it would be brilliant if he was more disciplined and held his role.  But for me, his chaos factor is such a potent weapon.  Look at how many goal involvements he had last season, including penalties won, assists, pre-assists.  The guy is a real attacking weapon through sheer will.  I do understand he needs to know when and when not, but I hope it's more when!

He can make better decisions, especially going forward - kind of on the break moving forward, and shooting, he gets over excited!  I actually think in and around the box, he plays nice passes and can penetrate, so it's not so much that.  It's his forward passing from deeper needs work.

Secondly, he has the football in him.  This "limited footballer" thing is bullshit.  We've seen him play the ball playing 6 role to great effect on a number of occasions.  He looks for the ball, his first touch and awareness of space is excellent, and he pops off his passes, does it all pretty quick too - he is more than capable of ticking over the midfield.  Zurich and Rosenborg are the obvious examples of him controlling a midfield, but its happened on a number of occasions.  Anyone who thinks he's just a headless chicken, needs to watch these games back.

Not in one bit disagreeing with Naisy here, and a line which jumped out at me was along the lines of every player has bits of their game we're working on.  Of course they do!  And what I like is I get the impression we really do have a squad who want to improve as individuals and as a team.  You get the impression sometimes a player thinks they're the finished article (Hibs breed this as standard), and we don't want that - we want lads like Cammy who are open eyed and want to learn and push themselves.  Just what we want, in fact.

It’s really exciting to see the respect being mutually shown between Naisy and the squad. SN is willing and enthusiastic to progress individually and collectively, the players, into a team that is going to achieve a lot. I’m sure the board are seeing this as well, and I hope they back him, he’s a winner folks.:thumbsup:

Cammy could be an excellent box to box midfielder if he can improve his play in the final 3rd

Corstorphine Jambo

On his day, a fantastic addition to the team. 
Discipline is key however - we’ve all watched him make silly unnecessary tackles which leaves him in a dangerous position for often the vast majority of games. I remember him chasing Nouble back in the first half at Tynecastle in early November and the whole stadium is thinking “don’t make the tackle”. He did, yellow card and hooked at half time. Then struggled for game time up until his injury.

As has been mentioned, clearly his talent is appreciated by Naismith and they are working to hone that.

AlimOzturk

Seems like Naismith has his finger on the pulse. Seems like a great man manager. 

AlimOzturk

Cammy is still only 25 years old. Plenty room for improvement and coming into his prime he can hopefully do a Hartley and improve with age. 

Everyone sees his passions and potential and he has put in some stellar performances. Consistency and some tweaks to his game and he could be a right top player for us at this level. 

If he can add the attacking part then fantastic. If he can't I don't think it's the end of the world, as long as he ticks the disciplined part.

He'd be my replacement if Beni goes personally. He's also limited in the attacking part but is still one of our best players. Cammy can be our Kante.

Spellczech

Naismith is starting to relax into the job now we've found some form, and speak more openly and constructively with the press. Neilson was doing this in his first 6mths back in Div 1 but when we didn't stroll it and the play was laboured he closed up again and it became cliches and utter nonsense interpretations of performances. 

Let's hope Naismith stays like this when we hit another sticky patch. Managers need to communicate coherently with fans or fans doubt them...

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Getting worried about Naismith now, sign him up for 10 more years

53 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Naismith is starting to relax into the job now we've found some form, and speak more openly and constructively with the press. Neilson was doing this in his first 6mths back in Div 1 but when we didn't stroll it and the play was laboured he closed up again and it became cliches and utter nonsense interpretations of performances. 

Let's hope Naismith stays like this when we hit another sticky patch. Managers need to communicate coherently with fans or fans doubt them...

Yeh, I like this Naismith. We've been short of open and honest dialogue for a while (imo of course).

Bazzas right boot

Polite way of saying -

"Stop running about like a ***** and do midfielder things like take a touch and pass to your own player ".

Hopefully Devlin can adapt as he's quite a bit behind Grant, Hoff and Beni in terms of control, composure and technique, but does bring a dynamism sometimes missing atm.

innerjambo

Quite frightening really. Imagine having a manager who knows what he's doing, and knows how to improve us 🤔 

Just thinking about the B team and the senior team just now.   The midfield style of play is similar.  

Beni and Tait are similar.   Tait could play Hofs position as well.   That's good adaptability from being very good technically and mentally aware. 

Denholm and Cammy will need to work hard to find a position that suits them. 

I think Cammy could play both but not as effective at the back holding.    I do like when he gets forward.   He offers a great press, quick passing and he can shoot.   

Most managers want their team playing a particular way.   It's up to the players to adapt.   I don't think it's because a player is rubbish that they get left out.   Although sometimes they really are crap 😁 Signed as an emergency backup. 

I'm liking the style of play just now.   Fraser stepped up in the Airdrie game as well.   So we have a good amount of quality competing  for a place. 

Perhaps the only way certain players including Cammy getting a game is when we are closing games out.   Put an extra midfielder in.   Or extra defender.   I don't see many in the starting eleven yet.   

Anyway, all the best Cammy.   I want him back in the side.   Great professional, very good ability.   Has a place in the squad. 

Edited by HMFC01

William H. Bonney

I'm no fan of devlin. He'll have to have really improved to force his way back in to the side. 

Rocky jamboa
13 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I was at both games and can't remember thinking of him producing box to box midfielder performances in either game. 

He's got the energy for that type of role but not the creativity, passing or finishing for me, all skills which are key for that role and difficult to teach/learn.

I P Knightley
7 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

My take or biggest take from this, is the discipline issue with not only Devlin, who we all know picked up yellows almost as a formality. 

The whole squad as a collective have been very disciplined with card counts. 

We definitely haven't been as rash picking up silly bookings anymore. 

On this, is another aspect I really like about Naismith. When a player is booked. He usually subs them off quite quickly. He doesn't take the risk. 

There's a fine balance with a player, Like Cammy, who's prone to picking up bookings. 

You don't want to temper his energy, which can be infectious and see teammates raising their own energy levels and urgency - but you don't want to run the risk of going down to 10 men. 

He's got to learn when to pick and choose his Tasmanian Devil moments. 

Love the wee man! Hope to see him back in the side soon.  

HeartsandonlyHearts
42 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

There's a fine balance with a player, Like Cammy, who's prone to picking up bookings. 

You don't want to temper his energy, which can be infectious and see teammates raising their own energy levels and urgency - but you don't want to run the risk of going down to 10 men. 

He's got to learn when to pick and choose his Tasmanian Devil moments. 

Love the wee man! Hope to see him back in the side soon.  

Many of his bookings are cards certain other teams players don’t receive.

The card number for Devin should be less. 

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Many of his bookings are cards certain other teams players don’t receive.

The card number for Devin should be less. 

This is a point I was beginning to make but rowed back. We are where we are and Naisy & Cammy have to find that sweet spot where he's dynamic but just on the right side of however the law is interpreted for a potentially influential Hearts player. 

Takeshi kovac
7 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Right! I 100% agree with Naisy.  Also, who am I! And Naisy will be all over this.

Please don't overcoach Cammy though... here me out.

Yes it would be brilliant if he was more disciplined and held his role.  But for me, his chaos factor is such a potent weapon.  Look at how many goal involvements he had last season, including penalties won, assists, pre-assists.  The guy is a real attacking weapon through sheer will.  I do understand he needs to know when and when not, but I hope it's more when!

He can make better decisions, especially going forward - kind of on the break moving forward, and shooting, he gets over excited!  I actually think in and around the box, he plays nice passes and can penetrate, so it's not so much that.  It's his forward passing from deeper needs work.

Secondly, he has the football in him.  This "limited footballer" thing is bullshit.  We've seen him play the ball playing 6 role to great effect on a number of occasions.  He looks for the ball, his first touch and awareness of space is excellent, and he pops off his passes, does it all pretty quick too - he is more than capable of ticking over the midfield.  Zurich and Rosenborg are the obvious examples of him controlling a midfield, but its happened on a number of occasions.  Anyone who thinks he's just a headless chicken, needs to watch these games back.

Not in one bit disagreeing with Naisy here, and a line which jumped out at me was along the lines of every player has bits of their game we're working on.  Of course they do!  And what I like is I get the impression we really do have a squad who want to improve as individuals and as a team.  You get the impression sometimes a player thinks they're the finished article (Hibs breed this as standard), and we don't want that - we want lads like Cammy who are open eyed and want to learn and push themselves.  Just what we want, in fact.

Great Post ,can't argue with this at all

Takeshi kovac
2 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

I was at both games and can't remember thinking of him producing box to box midfielder performances in either game. 

He's got the energy for that type of role but not the creativity, passing or finishing for me, all skills which are key for that role and difficult to teach/learn.

Yeah wasn't playing box to box, he was like a Quarterback in Am Football. Getting on the ball deep , picking passes and dictating play. Everything went through cammy in those games

8 hours ago, CMc said:

I’m glad there seems to be a constructive plan to make Cam a better tactical fit for the current side. His work rate is incredible and is like having an extra man in midfield at times when we don’t have the ball. 

If teams have worked out a way to play through him fair Fuchs to Naismith and the team for spotting it* and figuring out a potential solution. Cam’s pressing energy better harnessed to an organised collective press will be even better than his miniature Viking berserker solo act. 

Composure for the final ball has always been a thing. He has over hit passes in the past after doing all the hard stuff. Wee scamp just seems to be so buzzing on adrenaline he sometimes hits his putts like his drives. 

Shooting… well I’m willing to be corrected here, but I’ve never seen a pro player add a convincing laces drive shot to their repertoire if they didn’t come through with one. Just doesn’t seem to be a thing. Love to be wrong though. 

Other than that though, he receives well in the half turn and takes the ball away from pressure very well (not quite Beni level, but hit that standard v Zurich). 

So I could see him develop into more of a box to box player. Season one to season two this has partly happened (much higher starting position, swapped half his turnovers per game for a couple of handfuls of goal involvements). 

Glad to see there is more nuance to the coaches attitudes than some of the absolutists on here. 

*I only saw this when he was playing alongside Snodgrass, and I very much blamed Snodgrass. Cam was trying to mark everyone, everywhere all at once. Maybe this habit lingered even after Snodgrass was gone?

Agree totally with you last para.  

What the article assures us/me is that there is still a future for Cammy at Tynie.

I'm a great fan and whilst we are now well served in mid field we still need a box to box player to add to our repertoire.  If only Cammy could be that player!  Or by complete contrast, a Julien Brellier!

Brelleir