Whats with the stars on tops

rudi must stay

3 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

As someone who was born in the generation after Aberdeen’s success, the 2nd star for a Super Cup win is a bit of an embarrassment. 

Can understand the one star for Cup Winners cup, but an equal star for a glorified friendly is a bit bizarre. Could be wrong but I can’t imagine there is many other clubs in Europe that commemorate a Super Cup win with a star on their jersey, in some ways it devalues the first one.

Correct. By all means celebrate winning a proper European trophy. Even if it was the equivalent to the Conference. The ‘super cup’ though? Aye maybe the next season you could have a wee nod to it on your kit but not a 2nd star like it was an equal achievement about 40 years after the event!

Bazzas right boot

Are folk  seriously dismissing the European super cup?

Aberdeen winning both is extraordinary,  clearly the cup winners cup is more prestigious,  but they still won the super cup.

It's a phenomenon achievement that will never be repeated and they are well within thier rights to advertise/ celebrate it with stars on their tops.

It winds up "5  star" rangers fans as well, a pleasing bonus.

It's amusing what triggers folk.

We should get a star for every hibs manager we get sacked.

We'd be getting prepared to add one about now.

Not something I have ever given much of a **** about if I am honest . Would definitely like us to adopt the Italian model of the league and cup patches though